Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in Road to Minsk

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in Road to Minsk Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in Roa... - 4/9/2014 4:18:49 PM   
jmarzian

This being a a huge elephant, and my work pulling hard, I tried to eat a small bite. It was excepetionally tough(to get the major victory) and very fun. But has led me to ask several questions. How far from the front should one keep airfields, should they be kept on rail lines or cities, if you move them can they fly the same turn? How do you compute the CV odds. I think I am attacking at 3 to 1, and turns out to be 1.2 to 1. Is there a feature to turn on to give you a rough estimate? I did not see it in the book. If you switch a unit so it is in range of an HQ at the end of the turn, does it suffer a penalty. Why do the armored and motorised spearheads seem to have no so much punch by turn 3, attacking accross a river with 3 and a cv of 30 plus against a cv 1 Para unit(noting the are elite form earlier forum reads) the defender will hold. I move my airfields only once on turn 2 to get them more in range, excpet for the several out of leadership range, they will get moved twice. Just aksing questions, if there are some threads or other reads to help answer these questions I will read them if you can direct me there. I played everything at 100 for both sides, and FOW on both sides just to get used to using it. I have played through Dlasvov66 extensive tutorial, and will prob go through it again before attacking a bigger scenario. Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in... - 4/9/2014 7:36:04 PM   
Gabriel B.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmarzian

This being a a huge elephant, and my work pulling hard, I tried to eat a small bite. It was excepetionally tough(to get the major victory) and very fun. But has led me to ask several questions. How far from the front should one keep airfields, should they be kept on rail lines or cities, if you move them can they fly the same turn? How do you compute the CV odds. I think I am attacking at 3 to 1, and turns out to be 1.2 to 1. Is there a feature to turn on to give you a rough estimate? I did not see it in the book. If you switch a unit so it is in range of an HQ at the end of the turn, does it suffer a penalty. Why do the armored and motorised spearheads seem to have no so much punch by turn 3, attacking accross a river with 3 and a cv of 30 plus against a cv 1 Para unit(noting the are elite form earlier forum reads) the defender will hold. I move my airfields only once on turn 2 to get them more in range, excpet for the several out of leadership range, they will get moved twice. Just aksing questions, if there are some threads or other reads to help answer these questions I will read them if you can direct me there. I played everything at 100 for both sides, and FOW on both sides just to get used to using it. I have played through Dlasvov66 extensive tutorial, and will prob go through it again before attacking a bigger scenario. Thanks in advance.

How far from the front should one keep airfields, should they be kept on rail lines or cities, if you move them can they fly the same turn?

The bomber airfields can remain on the railhead because they have a fairly large radius .
fighters no more than 15 hexes behind the front , some missions would not be available but
they can still fly in the same turn.

How do you compute the CV odds. I think I am attacking at 3 to 1, and turns out to be 1.2 to 1.

hasty atacks are done at half CV, also atacks acros rivers.

If you switch a unit so it is in range of an HQ at the end of the turn, does it suffer a penalty.

Turn 1 is the only turn that you can aford to let units out of command range.

Why do the armored and motorised spearheads seem to have no so much punch by turn 3, attacking accross a river with 3 and a cv of 30 plus against a cv 1 Para unit(noting the are elite form earlier forum reads) the defender will hold.

Fatigue and bad luck , the 30 cv gets halved for cross river atack, and halved once again
for hasty . So 30 /4= 7.5 more than enough to beat a paratroper unit, but your leader might have failed his combat/morale checks and soviet leader made his .

Was the paratroper unit entreched or in woods/swamp ?

< Message edited by Gabriel B. -- 4/9/2014 8:38:32 PM >

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 2
RE: Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in... - 4/9/2014 7:51:16 PM   
charlie0311

i suggest you read the post entitled "a collection of all the best posts". Many are, sadly, somewhat out of date, still useful in a general sort of way. Personally, i read everything i can get my eyeballs on. And take written notes which i can refer to while gaming so i don't have to drop the game and go back to forums or manual.

the elephant is much bigger than what you have seen so far, much bigger.

I have been playing since Dec, at least more than occasionally. Have made substantial progress but it still looks like far to go.

I would suggest not using FOW for now you've got plenty of stuff to deal with. Also set the axis logistics at 120 and after you become more skilled go back to 100.

My experience level is not adequate enough for really good answers v combat value modifiers and airbases.

charlie

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 3
RE: Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in... - 4/10/2014 3:41:14 PM   
jmarzian

TYVM Guys, I def need to read more.

Paratrooper was in the woods behind river.

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 4
RE: Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in... - 4/10/2014 3:45:09 PM   
jmarzian

charlie0311 can you direct me to the above mentioned post I seem to have difficulty in finding it, ty

< Message edited by jmarzian -- 4/12/2014 2:46:03 AM >

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 5
RE: Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in... - 4/10/2014 4:31:00 PM   
charlie0311

surely,

the top section of war room, notice the enormous number of hits. those are the ones you want.

charlie

(in reply to jmarzian)
Post #: 6
RE: Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in... - 4/12/2014 1:45:09 AM   
jmarzian

Roger that thank you.

< Message edited by jmarzian -- 4/12/2014 2:45:42 AM >

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Sooooo, after 4 attempts I finally beat Sovietes in Road to Minsk Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI