Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubber (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubber (Axis) Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubber (... - 4/11/2014 3:51:50 AM   
sealclubber

This AAR will be fairly detailed during the first crucial turns and will drop off in detail once fronts start to stabilize.

June 22, 1944

The Allies have attacked aggressively and broken through on all fronts. The Eastern front is looking particularly bad.

At the start of the first, then end of the turn:

Western Front - Start of Turn:

The Allies seize Cherbourg and breakout to the east of Caen. In doing this, the Axis 15 Army should be released from it's garrison status. OKH hopes that these forces, with the addition of 2 SS Panzer Korps (once arrived) will be able to contain the Allies in the West and potentially open the door for counter-attacks.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/11/2014 3:52:14 AM   
sealclubber

Western Front - End of Turn:

The panzers counter-attack and drive back the British Gds Tank Division. The goal is to keep the Western Allies penned against the coast in the hopes that they continue the drive eastward and extend their line, making it vulnerable to a counter-attack at some future point in time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sealclubber)
Post #: 2
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/11/2014 3:52:46 AM   
sealclubber

Italian Front - Start of Turn:

The Allies launch an amphibious invasion of Pola. It is an allied supply point and has no garrison, which seems a bit odd. In any case, the Allies were also very aggressive on the attack here. The Axis believes the Allies are over-extended. The Allied forces are not that much stronger than the Axis in Italy and they have diluted and exposed themselves.

OKH decides to attack and cut off the overexposed Americans. This may well expedite an Axis collapse, but given that the only possible outcome right now is that the Axis lose the war, OKH decides to "cross the Rubicon" and the die is cast.

All available Luftwaffe units concentrate in Italy. 9 Pz Division rails into Italy rather than to the Normandy front where the rest of their respective army are presently engaged.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/11/2014 3:53:05 AM   
sealclubber

Italian Front - End of Turn:

The Axis counter-attack and isolate the American forces, less one division, in the boot. A zone of control intercept prevents the Axis from completely closing the encirlcement. Given the terrain in Italy, OKH believes that the Commonwealth forces will be unable to shift west quickly enough to save the Americans although given their mobility, the Americans may be able to extricate themselves at a cost.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/11/2014 3:54:29 AM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front:

27 Korps is strongly encircled and is a writeoff. The unit grimly digs in and awaits their fate. The Red Army has attacked everywhere and broken through everywhere. Axis Eastern Front goals for the short-term - survive. Given the aggressive attacks, force preservation is the order of the day. The center is completely demolished and whatever reserves are able to move this week do so.

Eastern Front North/Center - Start of Turn:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/11/2014 3:54:55 AM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front North/Center - End of Turn:

Axis forces repair the line as best they can, commit all reserves able to move and await the release of additional reserves to help stem the tide. 27 Korps is a lost cause and a chest of Iron Crosses are airdropped into the pocket.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/11/2014 3:55:33 AM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front South - Start of Turn:

Strong Red Army forces begin moving through the Pripet Marshes. Supply will be weak here, but they will link up with units out of Lvov and Minsk soon enough - there are literally no Axis units of consequence to prevent this.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/11/2014 3:56:37 AM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front South - End of Turn:

What little can be done is done. OKH buries its head in the sand.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/11/2014 6:39:05 PM   
Josh

Wow... that looks pretty desperate.

Post #: 9
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/11/2014 8:48:42 PM   
governato

The scenario opens with Operation Bagration...so it is going to be hard for the Axis on the East Front..on the other hand the Red Army has to match some truly impressive
historical gains in just a few weeks before the offensive runs out of steam (see attached map).

Looking forward to this AAR! Please feel free to add suggestions on how to improve the scenario, I may get back to it with TOAW v3.5/4.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 10
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/12/2014 12:09:18 AM   
sealclubber

It certainly feels desperate. Every time I open a new turn I feel like all hope is lost, but by the time the turn is over I generally feel full of confidence... only to have that confidence shattered when I open the next turn :).

It does look pretty grim on turn 1, but for the first couple of months there is a steady stream of fresh reinforcements that seem to arrive just in time to turn the tide in critical sectors.

I'd imagine it's similar to General Model's experience defending against Op. Mars. The trick for Model was figuring out where to dole out his piecemeal reinforcements. He needed to put out the fires in those sectors that were crucial to the overall campaign while letting other fires burn.

That basically summarizes the first 8 weeks of this scenario, at least the way I opted to play it. Rather than a massed withdrawal as fast as possible I'm refusing to abandon anything if I can help it and forcing the Red Army to fight its way to Germany. It's been very costly in terms of manpower/equipment losses, so only time will tell if I chose the right strategy.

As far as initial feedback for the scenario:

1. Take everything off Local Reserve on turn 1. If someone asked me to name the most useless feature in TOAW I would tell them Local Reserve.
2. I don't know about the Allied air units, but the Axis have fighter groups that are mixed Me-109 and Ju-87s. I'd personally prefer to see air units broken out into more logical groupings along both range and function lines, especially in a scenario where the Axis are basically always massively outnumbered in fighters... I really don't need Ju-87s flying air superiority missions, but that's what they're doing.
3. Maybe some kind of garrison in Pola at the start of the scenario? The Russian Liberation Army starts nearby, so that could be a candidate. Seems a bit odd that it's an Allied supply point in the farthest north section of Yugoslavia and has no starting garrison. Of course, maybe that was intentional to spice things up :).
4. I'm not sure if the scenario was designed with the new turn rules and new supply rules in mind or not. Knowing the designer intent would be helpful to get the intended experience, although folks could still choose to play with whatever rules they prefer.

EDIT: On point #1... I actually just realized that maybe the intention was to play the scenario with the new turn order rules, which means local reserve might provide some benefit because you'd get units moving towards a front under attack and then reset to their full MP allotment at the start of the Axis turn. Mark and I are playing with the old turn order and supply rules, so in this case Local Reserve is a complete detriment to the Axis player.

< Message edited by sealclubber -- 4/12/2014 1:15:00 AM >

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 11
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 2:21:18 AM   
governato

quote:

ORIGINAL: sealclubber

It certainly feels desperate. Every time I open a new turn I feel like all hope is lost, but by the time the turn is over I generally feel full of confidence... only to have that confidence shattered when I open the next turn :).

It does look pretty grim on turn 1, but for the first couple of months there is a steady stream of fresh reinforcements that seem to arrive just in time to turn the tide in critical sectors.

I'd imagine it's similar to General Model's experience defending against Op. Mars. The trick for Model was figuring out where to dole out his piecemeal reinforcements. He needed to put out the fires in those sectors that were crucial to the overall campaign while letting other fires burn.

That basically summarizes the first 8 weeks of this scenario, at least the way I opted to play it. Rather than a massed withdrawal as fast as possible I'm refusing to abandon anything if I can help it and forcing the Red Army to fight its way to Germany. It's been very costly in terms of manpower/equipment losses, so only time will tell if I chose the right strategy.

As far as initial feedback for the scenario:

1. Take everything off Local Reserve on turn 1. If someone asked me to name the most useless feature in TOAW I would tell them Local Reserve.
2. I don't know about the Allied air units, but the Axis have fighter groups that are mixed Me-109 and Ju-87s. I'd personally prefer to see air units broken out into more logical groupings along both range and function lines, especially in a scenario where the Axis are basically always massively outnumbered in fighters... I really don't need Ju-87s flying air superiority missions, but that's what they're doing.
3. Maybe some kind of garrison in Pola at the start of the scenario? The Russian Liberation Army starts nearby, so that could be a candidate. Seems a bit odd that it's an Allied supply point in the farthest north section of Yugoslavia and has no starting garrison. Of course, maybe that was intentional to spice things up :).
4. I'm not sure if the scenario was designed with the new turn rules and new supply rules in mind or not. Knowing the designer intent would be helpful to get the intended experience, although folks could still choose to play with whatever rules they prefer.

EDIT: On point #1... I actually just realized that maybe the intention was to play the scenario with the new turn order rules, which means local reserve might provide some benefit because you'd get units moving towards a front under attack and then reset to their full MP allotment at the start of the Axis turn. Mark and I are playing with the old turn order and supply rules, so in this case Local Reserve is a complete detriment to the Axis player.

Yes, the scenario was designed with the 'new turn order', which makes better use of Local Reserves. The options are specified at the top of the scenario thread. I tested it with the old supply rules, but I think it will work fine with both new and old supply. Are you using one of the recent
unofficial patches (AAA or AAA+RFC)? They should be useful.

Pola: I could not find evidence for a large garrison there so I assumed that the Brits would be able to launch one of their daring 'operations on a shoestring' and overwhelm any local company level units if they really wanted too (the option was considered for a while) The challenge is how to move out from Pola, as supply points have individual values depending on the port, to reflect their size....

Post #: 12
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 8:05:35 PM   
sealclubber

June 29, 1944

The Allies have advanced in France and Russia, but stand fast in Italy while attempting to extricate their isolated units. The Eastern Front is a complete trainwreck from Lvov to the Baltic Sea.

Situation in Scandinavia, where the German mountain armoured division attempts to deprive the Red Army of supply:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sealclubber -- 4/13/2014 9:14:29 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 8:06:06 PM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front - North/Center - Start of Turn:

Here the Axis is most vulnerable. Nothing is available to halt the Red Army advance and the Axis North/Center army groups (at least, those parts of it not stuck in garrison mode or reorg) are simply trying to save themselves.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 8:07:34 PM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front - North/Center - End of Turn:

In the Center and North, OKH orders a continuous withdrawal but ensuring routed/reorganizing units will retain supply so their destruction will at least help replenish other units. Army Group South Panzer divisions from Romania are railed to the center-north region.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 8:08:46 PM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front - South - Start of Turn:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sealclubber -- 4/13/2014 9:09:29 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 8:10:21 PM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front - South - End of Turn:

OKH sees an opportunity to counterattack. A Gds Mech Corp and a Gds Cavalry Division are surrounded and destroyed. In addition, 2 Gds Mech Corps and 3 Gds Tank Corps are cut off from supply (if just barely). OKH hopes to destroy these forces and stabilize this section of the front.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 8:11:21 PM   
sealclubber

France - Start of Turn:

The Allies push further outside of the beachhead to the East. Despite being attacked 15 Army remains in garrison mode. Many reinforcements land in the beachhead (some are decoy units in Cherbourg) and the Allies have seized St Lo:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 8:11:45 PM   
sealclubber

France - End of Turn:

Axis forces overrun the airborne and special forces to stabilize the position. Given the current strength of the defenders, the Allies could break out at any moment. OKH promises 2 SS Panzer Korps will be released within a week.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 8:12:15 PM   
sealclubber

Italy - Start of Turn:

The US army group tries to withdraw. One corps escapes the partially closed pocket, but another corps, a tank division, a tank battalion and artillery brigade are still within the Axis' grasp. The Allies withdraw their landing at Pola to reinforce the boot.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sealclubber -- 4/13/2014 9:12:39 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/13/2014 8:13:29 PM   
sealclubber

Italy - End of Turn:

The Allied response to the threat in Italy was not the withdrawal in the eastern part of the "boot" that OKH expected. The Allies seem to have underestimated the strength of the Axis forces, although the amphibious landing at Pola was abandoned. In addition to destroying part of the American contingent, the escaping American corps is again cut off from supply, joined by a French and a Polish corps also cut off from supply. The Allies position is under serious threat at this point.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/18/2014 12:23:14 AM   
sealclubber

July 6, 1944

Allied forces remain contained in their bridgeheads in France. In Italy, the Allies move strongly to react to the Axis push southwards and re-establish contact with two cut off corps. In the east, the Red Army is halted in the southern part of the center, but in all areas north of that the Red Army continues to advance.

Allied air power is now running combat support. Attacks that should succeed fail or take heavy losses when Allied airpower participates in large numbers.

Scandinavian front - Start of Turn:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sealclubber -- 4/18/2014 1:23:28 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/18/2014 12:23:45 AM   
sealclubber

Scandinavian Front - End of Turn:

Finnish forces gear up for a counter-attack, but forget to launch their offensive *sigh*.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/18/2014 12:24:06 AM   
sealclubber

France - Start of Turn:

Allied forces pound away at Caen, but are unable to dislodge 12 SS Pz Division.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/18/2014 12:24:31 AM   
sealclubber

France - End of Turn:

2 SS Pz Korps begins arriving at the front. 2 SS Das Reich Pz Division reinforces the badly mauled 12 SS Pz Division in Caen. A battalion of assault guns also joins the fight.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 25
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/18/2014 12:24:52 AM   
sealclubber

Italy - Start of Turn:

Allied counter-attacks free the French and American corps from encirclement, but the Polish corps is abandoned. A strong redeployment of Allied units from east to west has occurred within the Italian boot.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/18/2014 12:26:51 AM   
sealclubber

Italy - End of Turn:

Axis forces destroy the surrounded Polish corps, take liberties with the out of supply American corps and advance down the coast to seize Rome and beyond! With multiple Allied corps and divisions destroyed and others severely weakened from being out of supply, OKH decides to press forward to see just how far it can push...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 27
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/18/2014 12:27:38 AM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front - North/Center - Start of Turn:

Soviet forces are clearing trying to cut off Army Group North. The Axis cannot afford to abandon them and must defend the Riga area until the army is fully mobilized and prepared to depart. Army Group Center is very close to being cut off and will need to scramble to escape.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 28
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/18/2014 12:29:40 AM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front - North/Center - End of Turn:

The freshly arrived panzers from Army Group South immediately make themselves felt. Needing to buy time for Army Group North to escape, the panzers smash straight into leading elements of the Belorussian and Baltic Fronts around Paneveys. There are no fancy encirclement attempts here.. this is a straight frontal assault to push back and stall the Red Army advance.

In the center, Axis forces continue their "dance" with Red Army units to escape encirclement.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 29
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 4/18/2014 12:30:40 AM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front - South - Start of Turn:

Red Army forces are unable to re-establish contact with their encircled forces. The Axis focus here will be to destroy these forces as soon as possible to stabilize this part of the front.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubber (Axis) Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI