Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED B518] Are Sonobouys working right?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B518] Are Sonobouys working right? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED B518] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/24/2014 3:20:31 AM   
kaburke61

Hey There,

I have played 2 or 3 times now (testing), and I'm seeing something I don't remember before.

Active (and most likely passive too) sonobouys do not seem to be working correctly.

In this scenario, NAS 03 is dipping and locates a goblin (in this case I think it's biologic,
but also did it previously with a confirmed sub). For the test I immediately have another helo
(NAS #02) drop an active right over the top of the target (only 151 ft of water). As soon as the
other helo stops dipping I lose the contact, even though the active is directly on top of it. Four
other targets in a couple of games have exhibited this. I don't remember this happening before.

Thanks

update: I think definitely something amiss here. I have the active buoy trying to find it for over 3 minutes,
and only when I re-dip a helo, do I acquire it.

Anybody else try this? It seems kinda a biggie. Hope I am just missing something here. Even tried to dump
another passive, and then another active with no result

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by emsoy -- 4/25/2014 5:13:11 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: [517] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/24/2014 9:26:28 PM   
Zathras1

Hi Kevin,

I tried the scenario you uploaded and noticed that the active dipping sonar picked up the contact right away but started to lose it as soon as the aircraft settled at its 150 ft altitude. So I changed the altitude to 200 ft and contact was re-established. It looks like the hydrophones are getting buried in the muck in these shallow waters. I imagine it has the same effect when in passive mode. This is something the devs will need to look at.

The sonobuoy these helicopters carry are only good for determining range. You really need to get the Nimrod to back you up so you can get a classification for this (biologic) contact. They carry a better loadout of sonobuoys. Also, since these are slow moving biologics in littoral waters, it will take some time to fully get a firing solution....assuming that it is something other than a fish!

Take care.

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 2
RE: [517] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/24/2014 9:29:27 PM   
mikmykWS

I've reported this and added a test file as well. Something is definitely wrong.

Thank you for the excellent report!

Mike

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 3
RE: [517] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/24/2014 9:32:35 PM   
Zathras1

No problem, Mike. I like to help if I can.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: [517] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/24/2014 11:35:14 PM   
kaburke61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zathras1

No problem, Mike. I like to help if I can.

LOL...not sure who he is thanking there but...........

If you re-read my original post, I didn't see any problem with the dipping sonars. What I had noticed was that the sonobouys
were not working (active or passive). They were not finding anything (not even range). And it doesn't matter
whether it was biologic or a real sub (did multiple tests). I hadn't ever noticed this behavior before, and I have
played that scenario many, many times.

< Message edited by kaburke61 -- 4/25/2014 1:35:23 AM >

(in reply to Zathras1)
Post #: 5
RE: [517] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/25/2014 2:43:04 AM   
Zathras1

Kevin,

The test file you uploaded only had platforms with active-only, range-only sonobuoys. I re-added the Nimrod and dropped some passive sonobuoys and they were able to give me the missing classification and depth. So perhaps there is something wrong with the way you utilize the sonobuoys.

BTW, are you always so ungrateful when someone takes their personal time to try to help you? Your mommy must be proud.

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 6
RE: [517] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/25/2014 3:08:07 AM   
kaburke61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zathras1

Kevin,

The test file you uploaded only had platforms with active-only, range-only sonobuoys. I re-added the Nimrod and dropped some passive sonobuoys and they were able to give me the missing classification and depth. So perhaps there is something wrong with the way you utilize the sonobuoys.

BTW, are you always so ungrateful when someone takes their personal time to try to help you? Your mommy must be proud.

quote:

Hi Kevin, I tried the scenario you uploaded and noticed that the active dipping sonar picked up the contact right away but started to lose it as soon as the aircraft settled at its 150 ft altitude. So I changed the altitude to 200 ft and contact was re-established. It looks like the hydrophones are getting buried in the muck in these shallow waters. I imagine it has the same effect when in passive mode. This is something the devs will need to look at. The sonobuoy these helicopters carry are only good for determining range. You really need to get the Nimrod to back you up so you can get a classification for this (biologic) contact. They carry a better loadout of sonobuoys. Also, since these are slow moving biologics in littoral waters, it will take some time to fully get a firing solution....assuming that it is something other than a fish! Take care.

Wow....sorry you seem to have mommy (and anger) issues....

Your first post mentioned dipping sonar...which I already said I had noticed no problems....let's move on.

Second, you then mention that they were range only sonobouys..I know they are. Who said at that moment I was
trying to classify? My problem was contact completely lost even there were active and passive on top of it
(not whether they were biologic). The only way I could maintain the contact is by employing the dipping sonar
on the contact again. And by the way I had tried with passives with no luck also.

So in closing I am so grateful for your incorrect assumptions and insults (which regarding the assumpions
I merely asked to re-read the post), and the start (and thankfully) end of a 'nother flame war.

I most wanted to alert the dev's to it in case there was a problem. Done and Done....

< Message edited by kaburke61 -- 4/25/2014 4:18:24 AM >

(in reply to Zathras1)
Post #: 7
RE: [517] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/25/2014 1:08:48 PM   
Toobah

Seems like something's thourougly borked with sonobouys in [517] indeed.
I just created a test-scenario with a sub and a udaloy. They seemed to detect eachothers correctly with passive and or active senors.

I removed the Udaloy and tossed in a nimrod.
The rod detected the sub with MAD.

I removed the contact a few times and MAD re-detected every pass.

Dropped passive sonobouys shallow and deep - no detection (sub stationary).
Moved the sub at creep, 300m depth - no detection. (distance to sonobouys ~100m, totally surrounded)
Moved the sub at flank - no detection.
CHanged depth to above layer - no detection at any speed.

The only time one of the active bouys detected the sub was when I surfaced.

Tried several different types of bouys with the same result.

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 8
RE: [517] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/25/2014 9:16:11 PM   
kaburke61

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

I've reported this and added a test file as well. Something is definitely wrong.

Thank you for the excellent report!

Mike

I noticed you marked fixed for this..Thanks for the quick attention!

I hope you will release sooner than later (maybe as a hotfix style), as I am
predominately a sub/ship scenario player (who was waiting for 517 to be released
before taking up new scenarios/etc.) and broken sonobouys kinda put a damper
on that!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 9
RE: [517] Are Sonobouys working right? - 4/26/2014 6:18:54 PM   
mikmykWS

I just checked and it is fixed. Will push for a release.

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B518] Are Sonobouys working right? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI