Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Liberation question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Liberation question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Liberation question. - 4/2/2014 3:21:28 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Late 1942: France has been Vichied, and Vichy has since been collapsed. Allied units (who were never completely driven out of that little area around Bordeaux) have been making some advances in south and western France, including re-taking of Toulouse.

Can the Allies liberate those hexes back to Free France? Will the factory still work if they do so? Before re-taking Paris, that is.

Post #: 1
RE: Liberation question. - 4/2/2014 6:13:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

Late 1942: France has been Vichied, and Vichy has since been collapsed. Allied units (who were never completely driven out of that little area around Bordeaux) have been making some advances in south and western France, including re-taking of Toulouse.

Can the Allies liberate those hexes back to Free France? Will the factory still work if they do so? Before re-taking Paris, that is.

No.
No.

Reverting hexes to the original owner is asked when a country is liberated (i.e., the capital is retaken).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 2
RE: Liberation question. - 4/2/2014 6:43:52 PM   
Centuur

According to RAW, you can only revert hexes to the original owner during the liberation step. If a country isn't liberated, you can't revert hexes, because there isn't a liberation step for that country.

Solution: liberate factories in France with Free French units moving first into the hex...

Peter

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
RE: Liberation question. - 4/2/2014 6:55:49 PM   
markb50k

Ok, liberation, fine.

But what about just using the factory. So, for instance, say the US moves into a blue factory hex and now the hex is US controlled. Why can't they use it? Is it because only the original owning major power can use blues? So if it were a red, then US could use it?

In my AAR, US has taken possession of Nantez

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 4
RE: Liberation question. - 4/2/2014 7:42:54 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

No.
No.

Reverting hexes to the original owner is asked when a country is liberated (i.e., the capital is retaken).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

According to RAW, you can only revert hexes to the original owner during the liberation step. If a country isn't liberated, you can't revert hexes, because there isn't a liberation step for that country.

Solution: liberate factories in France with Free French units moving first into the hex...

Are you guys sure? Because the RAW version I have (which might be out of date) says:

quote:

Reversion

You can return a hex or minor country you control to the major power that controlled it in 1939 during any liberation step. You may revert Chinese hexes to either the Communists or Nationalists. You can also return control of a minor country hex to that minor country. You can only return hexes or minor countries to a major power or minor country that is on your side and is not currently completely conquered.

It's a hex I control, during the liberation phase. I don't see anything in there about having to liberate the entire country to revert a hex. Surely the step happens independently of whether or not something is done in that step, just the same as conquest or Allies support a minor. And at least in the version I have, it's a separate section from "Liberation effects", which implies a separateness.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 5
RE: Liberation question. - 4/2/2014 8:00:14 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

Are you guys sure? Because the RAW version I have (which might be out of date) says:

quote:

Reversion

You can return a hex or minor country you control to the major power that controlled it in 1939 during any liberation step. You may revert Chinese hexes to either the Communists or Nationalists. You can also return control of a minor country hex to that minor country. You can only return hexes or minor countries to a major power or minor country that is on your side and is not currently completely conquered.

It's a hex I control, during the liberation phase. I don't see anything in there about having to liberate the entire country to revert a hex. Surely the step happens independently of whether or not something is done in that step, just the same as conquest or Allies support a minor. And at least in the version I have, it's a separate section from "Liberation effects", which implies a separateness.

You are right about RAW, but hex-by-hex reversion is not implemented in MWiF. This is identified as a deviation in RAC.

Paul

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 6
RE: Liberation question. - 4/3/2014 5:11:08 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Sorry. I made a typo here. I should have written RAC and not RAW...

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 7
RE: Liberation question. - 4/28/2014 8:34:14 PM   
Mike Parker

Even with RAW though since you have to return a Hex to the Major Country that controlled it in 1939, you could not return control of a hex to Free France. Only if France once more exists can it be given those hexes.

Now I am not a rules Grognard for WIF, but reading the RAW as Urvile posted it it seems to me you could not turn over a hex to Free France but I sure could be missing something.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 8
RE: Liberation question. - 4/29/2014 8:02:38 AM   
paulderynck

Covered in the FAQ Q13.7-18:
Q: Since Vichy France minors are aligned, they are conquered, correct (see 13.7.1 4th paragraph)? So how can you liberate them? If you can't liberate them, how can you return them to Free France?
A: They are not conquered, they are aligned to Vichy and can be conquered from her. Their hexes can all be reverted to Free France which is the successor to 1939 France. Date 28/12/2007

But in MWiF only implemented by entire country, not hex-by-hex. (You cannot, however, use this as a method to reconstitute a conquered Free France.)

Paul

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 9
RE: Liberation question. - 4/29/2014 3:32:26 PM   
Mike Parker

Thanks Pauldernyck. That clears it up!

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Liberation question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI