Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 8:41:48 AM   
joeyeti

Folks,

Brian Rubin (Space Game Junkie on youtube) has uploaded the very first DW:U Lets Play ever!

Head here to watch (I will do shortly myself!):

http://youtu.be/srSLorqHTuc

Joe
Post #: 1
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 10:52:28 AM   
Icemania

Woot! Watching it now.

And look at that massive subscriber base ...

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 2
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 11:01:25 AM   
joeyeti

After watching it I agree with what Brian mentioned in there that jumping straight into the game like that, with an established empire already, is kinda confusing for new players.

So eagerly awaiting a back-to-the-roots Lets Play starting with just a single system...

Joe

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 3
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 2:05:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ah, great to see, I'll give it a look today...

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 4
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 3:03:19 PM   
hewwo

Also at:

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/previews/distant-worlds-universe-diving-head/

Enjoy:)

< Message edited by hewwo -- 4/28/2014 4:07:56 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 3:45:52 PM   
Veloxi

Hey, thanks for linking my video, I hope y'all enjoy it. I'll have more installments of the preview as well, the next looking at a more newb-friendly approach. ;)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

Almost 300 is massive, or are you being sarcastic?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 6
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 3:48:20 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veloxi

Hey, thanks for linking my video, I hope y'all enjoy it. I'll have more installments of the preview as well, the next looking at a more newb-friendly approach. ;)

quote:

Erm, look at one or two of Ice's other posts on this subject and you'll have your answer ;-)

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 7
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 4:02:11 PM   
Veloxi

Got it. :)

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 8
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 4:36:22 PM   
ASHBERY76

For people who already have the game that is kind of pointless as its the same game from shadows.Maybe a video showing the modding options?

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 9
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 4:46:13 PM   
Antiscamp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veloxi

quote:

Yes. 300 takes a lot of hard work on YouTube. Especially if your videos don't involve screaming your lungs out or swearing every other word. Took meself a year to get to 300, so when I told my 14 year old nephew that I had 300 subs on YouTube and he replied "Well, that's a good start" I just gave him a friendly smile and thought "You'll see in a couple of years, young man". LOL

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 10
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 5:07:18 PM   
Veloxi

quote:

ORIGINAL: AntiscampYes. 300 takes a lot of hard work on YouTube. Especially if your videos don't involve screaming your lungs out or swearing every other word. Took meself a year to get to 300, so when I told my 14 year old nephew that I had 300 subs on YouTube and he replied "Well, that's a good start" I just gave him a friendly smile and thought "You'll see in a couple of years, young man". LOL

Yeah, this is after doing sporadic videos for a year, and then recently doing more and more of them as I got into a better grove with them. :) I'm honestly thrilled at the number.

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 11
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 5:08:26 PM   
Veloxi

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

For people who already have the game that is kind of pointless as its the same game from shadows.Maybe a video showing the modding options?

Hey. I'm not a modder at all and wouldn't even know where to begin, so if you have any suggestions as to how I'd properly show that, I'd love to hear it. :)

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 12
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 8:45:32 PM   
ASHBERY76

From watching this vid it seems custom starting systems are not included with the modding expansion with sol not being our sol.That is a pretty big failing if you want a star trek mod,etc.Also Deneba is a new resource so its seems some new stuff is included.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 4/28/2014 9:48:47 PM >

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 13
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 8:58:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

No, you can absolutely customize starting systems as well as other systems. Deneba Crystal is indeed a new modded resource, well spotted.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 14
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/28/2014 9:21:51 PM   
Veloxi

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

From watching this vid it seems custom starting systems are not included with the modding expansion with sol not being our sol.That is a pretty big failing if you want a star trek mod,etc.Also Deneba is a new resource so its seems some new stuff is included.

Yeah, you totally still can of course like Erik said, I just wanted to get right to the new stuff if I could. ;)

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 15
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/29/2014 10:09:42 AM   
Icemania

Apologies, my comment was not at all directed towards the next generation of Internet Celebrities!

Two suggestions.

Firstly, it would be super cool to get some really big space battles going similar to the image below.

Secondly, how about a video that shows the highlights of a Let's Play Series? For those of us with the attention span of a mosquito, like me ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 4/29/2014 11:15:45 AM >

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 16
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/29/2014 1:51:25 PM   
Gregorovitch55

I don't know who the hell I am to start throwing advice around about making LP's when I've never even tried to make one myself but, wtf, FWIW here's what I think:

The fundamental problem with DW is the combination of the huge scope of the game, the complexity of controlling your empire and the length of game play time it takes for things to happen such that the viewer gets some kind of idea what the hell is actually going on.

Another way to put this is that there are far too many things of too much complexity happening at once in too many places too fast for people who don't know anything about the game to follow but at the same time it takes a Youtube age and a half before any visible results from all this frenzied activity succeed in generating meaningful shifts in the galactic geopolitical situation, like the result of a war for example, so that the point of it all, the narrative, becomes clear to the viewer.
This makes making LPs of DW a big challenge, because there's a contradiction here: it goes too quick, but at the same time it goes too slow.

A possible approach to deal with this problem is to run three separate LP/walkthrough/tutorial series in tandem:

1. A full speed playthrough starting with the terran empire as in Veloxi's LP concentrating on broad sweep strategic issues and avoiding getting bogged down in any details of how or why you are doing specific low level tasks. The aim is to explain your overall objectives and the plan to achieve them at high level, give an overview of how you are going to execute that plan, and just play commenting on how well your plan appears to be succeeding or not. Let the story unfold, basically.

2. A pre-warp start playthrough concentrating on the details of system management, economy, ships and fleets, stations, resources, pirates and research as they affect the drive to escape the confines of your home system. The objective is simple and clear and this would leave plenty of space for commentary on the details of running an empire in miniature and demonstrate the interface.

3. A set of specific tutorial on various subjects, for example, ship/station design, resource acquisition, fleet management and combat, research, diplomacy and so on. These can be referenced in the commentary of the main walkthrough/LPs rather than go into those details there. Michael Broschek has done some excellent videos like this for Hearts of Iron 3 which are invaluable for new players. here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWhf8Y36wRs

Another approach is the one taken by CdrDave (David Downer) in his walkthrough series for X3:Terran Conflict. In this indispensable series he takes the viewer through a somewhat edited playthrough where he jumps to critical points to explain specific game mechanics in detail as and when the need for them arises. I can testify how well it works because i learned how the play X3 from this series myself.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2BC4835802365FF1

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 17
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 4/29/2014 5:17:48 PM   
Veloxi

All good ideas and tips guys, thank you! DW is presenting a unique challenge as I've not really streamed/recorded it before, so it'll be fun to try to best learn how to do it right. :)

< Message edited by Veloxi -- 4/29/2014 6:18:44 PM >

(in reply to Gregorovitch55)
Post #: 18
RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! - 5/6/2014 11:02:02 AM   
Osito

Another video posted by space game junkie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFrGdhmszjc&list=UUolbt0QguVSQXiAGlC3fFBA

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI