Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new install

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new install Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new install - 4/29/2014 12:34:40 AM   
big dawg

I patched 2.0 over 1.4. I should have done a clean install but....

How do I save all the custom scenarios I have downloaded when I delete the game & do a fresh install?

Thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new ins... - 4/29/2014 8:43:31 AM   
Crossroads

Hello dawg! I am afraid there is no easy answer to do that. Sorting files by date will probably not help, as some of the custom scenarios have been around for quite a while.

One thing you could do is to first copy all scenarios to a separate folder. First all WF scenarios to their back-up folder, then all EF scenarios to another back-up folder, then all RS scenarios to a third back-up folder.

Then, as you've installed a clean 2.00 install, select all those scenarios, one game folder at a time, and copy them back to their respective game folder, but not allowing any overwrites.

Then, only the files that did not come out with 2.00 would be copied there. Those would be the custom scenario files you've downloaded separately.

Anyone else with a better idea?

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 4/29/2014 9:45:25 AM >

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 2
RE: How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new ins... - 4/29/2014 11:04:37 AM   
big dawg

THANKS!

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3
RE: How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new ins... - 4/29/2014 11:38:59 AM   
simovitch

If you "uninstall" instead of "delete" only the stock files get removed no? You should be able to re-install the game to the same location and still find your downloaded scenarios intact.

Maybe JTCS is different but you should rarely "delete" an installation, always "uninstall".

simovitch

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 4
RE: How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new ins... - 4/29/2014 6:17:57 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

If you "uninstall" instead of "delete" only the stock files get removed no? You should be able to re-install the game to the same location and still find your downloaded scenarios intact.

Maybe JTCS is different but you should rarely "delete" an installation, always "uninstall".

Well yes that may be true, usually...not always. So I would go for the solution Crossroads described that's how I would do it. I would probably make a double back up, so back-up folders such as Crossroads described and than even a further backup on a external disc.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
RE: How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new ins... - 4/29/2014 6:35:37 PM   
Crossroads

... and then do an uninstall, not a delete.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 6
RE: How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new ins... - 4/29/2014 11:25:47 PM   
big dawg

This was a great help & all of you were VERY kind to take the time to reply. I will start the UNinstall tonight.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 7
RE: How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new ins... - 5/1/2014 11:45:21 PM   
big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU. I COPIED THE FILES INTO A EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. HOWEVER ALL THE CUSTOM FILES WERE THERE JUST LIKE YOU SAID AFTER I UNINSTALLED THE GAME. No deleting. Just uninstalled it. Thanks again for the help.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new install Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI