Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Larger view mode for 2D

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Larger view mode for 2D Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Larger view mode for 2D - 5/2/2014 8:45:44 PM   
Objekt730

Just curious if it'd be possible in a future update to offer a larger version of the 'large' 2D map (button #4). I'd like to be able to use this view regularly, but it's always too small to be of any real use. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to add a 200% view of the large 2D map mode just by upscaling the map using 'nearest neighbor' interpolation. That way it maintains the pixel-perfect sharpness, and is totally usable on large resolution monitors.

I think adding this map mode might vastly improve the ability to plan troop movements. Just a thought.
Post #: 1
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/2/2014 8:54:39 PM   
wings7

(in reply to Objekt730)
Post #: 2
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/2/2014 8:55:15 PM   
berto

This is high on the wish list but won't be offered until the CS 2.10 Update (maybe late next year) and new games in the series (e.g. Middle East, hopefully by the end of the current year).

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Objekt730)
Post #: 3
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/2/2014 9:01:48 PM   
Objekt730

Ah, ok. It seems like I must have opened up a well-tread topic... That's what I get for not doing my homework :/

In any event, has anyone tried manually upscaling the map tiles, just to see what happens? I'd try it, but I can't seem to find them.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 4
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/2/2014 9:19:20 PM   
Objekt730

.....nevermind. That doesn't work.

(in reply to Objekt730)
Post #: 5
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/2/2014 10:06:22 PM   
berto

Another thing to try, especially if you have dual monitors like I do: lower your screen resolution. A larger 2D view on the cheap!

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Objekt730)
Post #: 6
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/2/2014 10:22:42 PM   
Warhorse

Which with the icons2D upgrade, in WF, you might just wanna do!! EF is in process now, lots of work though!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 7
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/3/2014 12:29:16 AM   
Objekt730

why didn't I think of that....great idea!

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 8
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/3/2014 4:05:00 PM   
major.pain

^^
Hope that was a typo and we get a patch later this year not later next year so at the very least the 2D maps are useable?

Picked this up at V2.0 and so far any scenario above small is a complete ball ache to keep track of with the 2D view being completely unusable on today's panels ect :(

**Shelved along with CC:TLA until its fixed**

Sigh!!

(in reply to Objekt730)
Post #: 9
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/3/2014 5:29:35 PM   
Jason Petho

Here is a screenshot of level 4 (2D) and a scenario that is included at 2.00 and is a mid level complexity:

This screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 on a 24" display.

I am curious how this is unusable?

Jason Petho

(in reply to major.pain)
Post #: 10
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/3/2014 8:37:38 PM   
major.pain

The level 5 2D is about 1/8 the size of this on my panel so is of no practical use, the above level 4 2D view icons are too small to easily distinguish between, even more so when you need to be able to use the highlights for disruption, organization ect.
The above image is a good size for level 5 2D not level 4 2D.
I understand the game is old and patches are slow in coming, if at all for old games but for me its too much of a chore to play until the 2D is resized better.
Maybe a launch parameter of sorts could be added to boot the game in a lower screen resolution, its not practical for me to change my desktop resolution to play as my desktop gets disorganized :{

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 11
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/4/2014 9:49:20 AM   
Hexagon

To be clear, Tiller last games have an extra zoom level that is simple a resize BUT his las game PzB Kursk has a true ultra 2D zoom level and i only can say is you have a good easy vision with no danger for my poor eyes hehehe... i dont expect this because we talk about an old game but a magnifying effect where you can see bigger counters and notice organization colours is more than enough for me.

Example of PzB:

Total zoom in

Normal 2D view

The magnifying effect in old Tiller games:

Normal 2D view

Total zoom in

As you can see both do the same work but magnifying effect is a more... rough solution but is on the same way you can do here.

PD: well, lets see how work it in modern volumen, i am curious about the Divided ground remake.

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 5/5/2014 11:14:28 AM >

(in reply to major.pain)
Post #: 12
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/4/2014 10:05:09 PM   
Jafele

IMO the weakest points in many of JT games are the poor 3D graphics (I never use it) and the lack of clarity in 2D map heights. Fortunately it´s changing in his latest releases. It would be so nice if he could improve the maps of older games because I love all of them

Changing maps=More customers

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 13
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/4/2014 10:54:25 PM   
Jason Petho

The modifications to the graphics for the Campaign Series will be up to the Campaign Series Legion and Beta Brigade, as Mr. Tiller abandoned the game many years ago.

While I agree the level 5, 2D graphic level is pretty well useless, it is already earmarked for being upgraded. The 3D graphics though, especialy for level 1 3D are far from poor. Each unit in the following screenshots are easily identifiable at a glance. Are they the most beautiful? Maybe not, but far from functional, they still have that table top look.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 14
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/5/2014 8:46:09 AM   
major.pain

Is it possible to have an option for the game to boot in a lower resolution?

I would be happy with this outcome as 1920x1080 is not good, a config file or shortcut switch maybe?

Post #: 15
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/5/2014 10:19:01 AM   
Hexagon

Sorry, i name wrong the France14 zoom examples, now i correct it.

3D... i dont play in 3D, i prefer 2D because for me is more clear, of course 3D is more but i feel better in 2D... talking about 2D, something i really miss in Campaigns is the lack of something in counter to notice what is the unit facing... other games have a triangle or some similar in the counter to show you what is the actual unit facing, any plan to add this in 2D???.

PD: even when 3D is good i really prefer see bigger units, maybe an option to increase units size in 3D 50% is not a bad idea, i dont have problems with have in an hex "titans", even more, i remember play CM old games using big unit image

(in reply to major.pain)
Post #: 16
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/5/2014 10:20:23 AM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

The modifications to the graphics for the Campaign Series will be up to the Campaign Series Legion and Beta Brigade, as Mr. Tiller abandoned the game many years ago.

While I agree the level 5, 2D graphic level is pretty well useless, it is already earmarked for being upgraded. The 3D graphics though, especialy for level 1 3D are far from poor. Each unit in the following screenshots are easily identifiable at a glance. Are they the most beautiful? Maybe not, but far from functional, they still have that table top look.

Jason Petho

Looks great to me Jason.

Still I have this uneasy feeling that it will draw upon the same old school players that played this game fifteen years ago and still play it. I'm completely fine with the graphics of this game. But nowadays 3D real time games have already much much better graphics, and by this I mean the new Close Combat games, or heck even Battlefront's Combat Mission games...they look absolutely stunning in 3D realtime.

I would love to see happen to JTCS as what happened with Panzer Corps, an old strategic wargame hit revamped/restyled but basically the same, and becoming a new saleshit with new gamers who discover for the first time the joys of turnbased games. Now JTCS was IMHO never as popular as Panzer General ...but I'd love to see this old beauty draw a new and younger crowd.

Meanwhile, I'm extremely grateful for all the work you guys poor into this classic and the upcoming Modern Wars.

Post #: 17
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/5/2014 6:32:22 PM   
Jafele

Another good example of 2D maps with a 3D feeling: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3559855

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 18
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/5/2014 7:58:48 PM   
Objekt730

Just to be clear, (since this thread has veered slightly off topic) I don't have any problem whatsoever with the 3D graphics. I just find the level 4, 2D map unusable (speaking only for myself) which is unfortunate since it would be a great alternative perspective to work with. It seems realistic to be able to double the size of that view at some point without requiring an unreasonable amount of effort. Of course I could be completely off base considering I know nothing about the game engine.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's on the list of future upgrades, I just hope it gets in the game before late 2015!

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 19
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/5/2014 9:21:40 PM   
scottintacoma

I think the 2D zoom is just fine. If you doubled it, it would be unusable for me. Way to large. I dont use any of the 3D views, normally just 2D zoomed. On a large map, I might go to standard 2d so I can get a lay of the land.

(in reply to Objekt730)
Post #: 20
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/6/2014 12:47:58 PM   
dox44

1 agree. 2D fine and never use 3D...

(in reply to scottintacoma)
Post #: 21
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/24/2014 9:53:49 AM   
major.pain

Just thought i would pass on a workaround i came across over on another post on how to have your game run in a different resolution without the need to change your desktop display.
The program is called 12 Noon Display Changer and is free and very simple to use. All you need to do when you install the the program is find the "Display Changer 1024x786" shortcut in the Start menu right click it, select properties and in the Target box change the height and width to a resolution you want to try along with adding the path to the autorun.exe in the JTCS folder or other game and your good, no more tiny icons ect :)
For example my shortcut Target line to run JTCS at 1024x786

"C:\Program Files\12noon Display Changer\dc.exe" -width=1024 -height=768 /c "f:\John Tiller's Campaign Series\autorun.exe"

Now JTCS runs at the lower resolution and when i quite the game my desktop reverts back to 1920x1080 without messing up my desktop organization. Wish i found this sooner, great for older games on new displays :)

Link below.

http://12noon.com/?page_id=80

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 22
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/24/2014 2:09:02 PM   
berto

I tried this. Couldn't get it to work, despite much experimentation at the command line. Probably there is some magical set of options that will do the trick. And I might have better luck on my single-monitor WinXP system. But for now, I set this aside. Too much work, too much fussiness!

Your Mileage May Vary.

(in reply to major.pain)
Post #: 23
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/24/2014 2:30:17 PM   
major.pain

You would need to add some extra commands to the target line in the shortcut for a multi monitor set up yes, there are examples on the webpage how to do this. I only have one display and this took about 10 minutes to do it was just a case of finding the right file in the JTCS folder to have the Display Changer start up and adding this to the default Display Changer shortcuts target line from Windows Start menu.
Try it with only a single display to test it if your having trouble, i will try and help more if i can!

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 24
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/24/2014 2:33:57 PM   
dox44

M J R

thanks a lot. works great!

yeah i had to change everything but your recommended screen size

< Message edited by casebier -- 5/24/2014 3:36:55 PM >

(in reply to major.pain)
Post #: 25
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/24/2014 2:41:49 PM   
major.pain

Great, glad it worked for you, got the tip of Spidey over on the Distant Worlds forums, seems people are using this to get around the small fonts issue with Distant Worlds.
That was the first and only screen size i tried to be honest and it worked first time so i was pretty happy lol :)

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 26
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/24/2014 2:44:10 PM   
berto

For example, after using the command

$ ./dc64cmd.exe -listmonitors

to list the monitors, I used the -monitor option to specify the monitor exactly as described in the -listmonitors output, only to get the complaint: "There is no monitor with that name." (Tried several variants of the monitor name.)

It's at that point that (after much futzing before) I gave up.

Yes, I suppose this would work much easier with just one monitor.

Which is what I will try, some other time, with my single-monitor WinXP system.

(in reply to major.pain)
Post #: 27
RE: Larger view mode for 2D - 5/24/2014 3:08:54 PM   
major.pain

Ok. I found that by adding the switch -listmonitors to the target line of the shortcut-

"C:\Program Files\12noon Display Changer\dc.exe" -width=1024 -height=768 -listmonitors

I got a pop up with my monitor listed as-

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1

I have one display by the way and am still running XP on this machine, i will try and test on my W7 machine later to see if i have any issues.

< Message edited by M J R -- 5/24/2014 4:42:39 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Larger view mode for 2D Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI