Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

world war II songs mp3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> world war II songs mp3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
world war II songs mp3 - 2/6/2003 7:53:13 AM   
BlueLavender

Hi all,

does anybody know the website address where I can find mp3 of world war II military songs ?

I remember it's posted somewhere here, but not sure where

thank you & rgds

BlueLavender
Post #: 1
- 2/6/2003 8:40:36 AM   
tracer

I've never seen a website, but I've found a few using WinMX. I have one small enough to fit on my webspace; just happens to be my favorite too. You can even hear the pops and crackles of the 78rpm record (IMO) at the beginning...almost sounds like something you would have heard playing over one of those old black & white newsreels.

I'll leave it up until Saturday if anyone wants it.

Edit 2/8/03: [EMAIL=jimnsb@cfl.rr.com]jimnsb@cfl.rr.com (subject = Erika)[/EMAIL]

Jim NSB

(in reply to BlueLavender)
Post #: 2
Thank you - 2/6/2003 11:41:02 AM   
BlueLavender

Hi Tracer,

thank you.... am downloading it, and gonna listen to it... anybody here have the cossack march song ?

it was listed in one of the world war II military homepage, but I lost the website address

Tried to find the CD already, but seems here in Singapore , no music shop carries anything from world war II :)

rgds

Post #: 3
- 2/6/2003 12:19:28 PM   
Voriax

WW2 songs: http://digilander.libero.it/adol/musiched.htm

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

Post #: 4
- 2/6/2003 2:40:53 PM   
werderwayne

Thanks for that URL:
http://digilander.libero.it/adol/musiched.htm
Great stuff.

Too bad I won't have a CD player at the next wargame convention!

BTW, kind of a funny side note to "Ob's Sturmt oder Schneit" (the Panzer Lied) the last line of the 1st verse is
"Es braust unser Panzer..." Which was supposed to mean "It roars, our tank, ..." but the word "braust" also means "brews", which, of course, changes the meaning considerably! :D

In addition, I have come across several different copies of "Ob's Sturmt oder Schneit"'s lyrics and the lyrics differ after the 1st verse.

Another quick note...in the movie "Battle of the Bulge" the reason that the Tiger tank crews weren't better trained with their tanks is that they spent all their time practicing their singing!

-WW

Post #: 5
PANZER AND LEIBSTANDARTE - 2/6/2003 2:46:39 PM   
mlomax

The are a couple of MP3's at [url]www.panzerace.net.[/url]

Post #: 6
- 2/6/2003 3:14:03 PM   
Resisti

BlueLavender, the Oronzo's page is what you're looking for, I'm pretty sure; here: http://www.oronzo.com/world_war_2_mp3.html

tens and tens of war songs from nearly all WWII combatant countries.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

Post #: 7
- 2/6/2003 6:19:38 PM   
Bing

The only great song to come out of WW2 was "Lili Marlene" - the rest of the really good ones are all World War I vintage. I tend to separate the Rah, Rah! type - Panzer Lied - songs from true ballads, which qualifies Lili Marlene. Believe the Cossack songs referred to date from at the latest the Russian Civil War and probably earlier - Cossacks have been around for a long time. THey didn't start singing just for WW2.

For a slam bang chorus, band and absolutely fine soloists (tenor is operatic caliber), the Red Army Chorus and Band are difficult to equal, let alone exceed. Long ago I transferred their second volume, off an Angel LP to cassette tape, shortly it will be transferred to a Sony Mini-Disc. Tapes can and do wear out, especially the commercial cassette releases from the "bargain" category. I have several out of the hundreds in my collection which simply stopped playing - jammed solid. Good blank tapes, Maxell, TDK, BASF, Sony, et al, are much better quality, I have some of those from fifteen years ago in fine condition despite winter storage in an unheated garage.

Unfortunately the precise collection of material on the Red Army Ensemblel Vol. 2 is no longer available and from what I see and hear I think most of what has appeared in later CD collections are remakes. For sheer galvanic energy I have never heard anything like it the LP. The numbers are:

Courageous Don Cossacks
Beautiful Moonlit NIght
Kamarinskaya
Ah! Lovely NIght
A Birch Tree Grows .. (same tune used by Tchaikovsky in his 4th Symphony)
Song of the Plains
Ukranian Poem
Annie Laurie
Zaparozhtsi Dance - freely translated as "General Dance' - if you need to break a lease, this is the number that will do it.

Snicker over the inclusion of Annie Laurie if you want, but the Red Army Ensemble demonstrates there is better music in many songs than we tend to hear; this one features the above mentioned tenor and a beautifully hushed chorus. Caruso singing "Over There" is another good example, its a lot better song than I realized before hearing Caruso do it.

I think the first Red Army volume included "Ode to a Machine Gun", from the civil war of course. In any event, Zaparozhtsi has to be heard to be believed. Ukranian Poem gets to sounding like a chorus from Tannhauser about half way through, a very powerful number.

The Red Army Ensemble toured the US for the first time about thirty years ago to packed houses and very enthusiastic audiences. Somewhere there is a video tape of one of their dance numbers that is unlike anything most of us have seen.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 8
- 2/7/2003 12:46:50 AM   
Belisarius

Marcus Wendel (hi Marcus! :D) keeps a few songs over at his website, which is a worth a visit in any case;

[URL=http://www.skalman.nu/third-reich/songs.htm]Songs at the Third Reich Factbook[/URL]

Lots of material, not only on Germany but much more as well. :cool:

Got StuG?

Post #: 9
Thank you very much... - 2/7/2003 7:56:52 AM   
BlueLavender

Hi resisti , voriax, belisarius, mlomax , thank you very much for the reply...

yup, resisti, I finally found the cossacks song there, thank you very much :)

and voriax, the digilander site is also very good...
am downloading the rule britannia there..

Bing.. unfortunately here in singapore it's kinda difficult to find all kinds of military march songs... of any kind (world war I, II, or any war)...

Yup, Lili marlene is very fine ballad... I like the cossacks patrol song for its somehow mysterious tune...

Thank you all, thank you very much...

rgds

BlueLavender

Post #: 10
- 2/7/2003 10:23:31 AM   
NaKATPase

[URL=http://ingeb.org/WWII.html]http://ingeb.org/WWII.html[/URL]

This site has a large number of both mp3 and wav files of a bunch of german songs and some other nations as well...

NaKATPase:
Colocalized with coracle in septate junctions.

"I'd love to step out, but I'd have to see the girl first." -- GM
"A lot of frogs are like that when they're young and repulsive." -- TS

Post #: 11
- 2/8/2003 7:11:40 AM   
m10bob

One of the most played songs on the American home front was "Any Bonds Today",which was a propoganda/commercial played "everywhere" to get people to buy war bonds....I had to go to Ask.com to find a place to download it...There are several versions,(Andrews Sisters,Guy Lombardo,and even a cartoon with Bugs Bunny!)......;)

Post #: 12
- 2/8/2003 12:40:44 PM   
Karnaaj

Using peer-to-peer file sharing software, such as WinMX or KaZaa or whatever, can lead to all *kinds* of nice music - I've got stuff ranging from various versions of German patriotic/political/military tunes, to Italian Fascist marches, to the Red Army Chorus, the United States Marine Band, the Australian Army Band of the Third District, The United States Military Academy Glee Club and Band, Her Majesty's Royal Marine Band, the Israeli National Military Band, Finns, Swedes, an unholy crapload of bagpipers , and hard-to-find movie scores...

Note: copyright, yadda yadda. More importantly, the quality on a lot of MP3s leaves a lot to be desired... and even crap-quality audio takes a while to download, especially if you're saddled with a dialup connection. Might as well buy a CD if you can. (Not necessarily available, of course.)

As always when WinMX'ing or whatever, watch for renamed versions, duplicates, fakes (I'd like to shoot a few jackasses out there - a soundcheck of Led Zeppelin doing "Freebird" would be *cool*, but if I wanted 20 minutes of "The Red Green Show", I'd look for it meself), malicious code, and out'n'out "not what I wanted" stuff. (Check partially-downloaded items to see if it's worth the rest of the d/l.)

Post #: 13
- 2/8/2003 9:16:07 PM   
Bing

m10bob- Did you bring back memories! "Any Bonds Today?" takes me back to my childhood and WW2. Since I have pretty good musical retention, I can hear the song in my mind even though I am sure I haven't heard it actively played in dozens of years. Unless it was on the program of some of the Bob Hope broadcasts which were filmed and run on TCM, which is a possibility.

Karnaaj - Tower Records has been consistently excellent for me. I buy normally from Tower US, however there is British site at [url]www.amazon.co.uk[/url] - the funny thing about dealing with both US and UK and this also holds true for Amazon, is for instance the US site will tell you a certain recording or book is OP (Out of Print). Then you go to the UK site; not only is the item NOT OP, they have it in stock and usualy ship within 24 hours.

This happened for me with more than one aircraft book and after three months of chasing a Decca-Londoin opera recording - which had not been removed from the official D-L catalog - including used recordings dealers and not finding even a mention of the set, I got the bright idea to try Amazon UK. In stock and in the mail to me within 48 hours, the price wasn't bargain, but I have my recording.

Tower features Red Army Ensemble (or whatever they are currently calling themsleves) releases and a reasonably effective search engine - I like the UK search engine better than US actually.

There are speciality shops dealing in used and OP recordings, for which I can furnish URL's but they are expensive, to the point I won't buy from them. They make their money via markup and I suppose have to charge premium to stay in business.

Amazon for one will steer you to a dealer of this type, however be aware sometimes the third party dealer is plain out woofing us when he says he stocks an item.

Good hunting.

"Any Bonds Today? ..."

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 14
- 2/9/2003 12:23:18 AM   
m10bob

:) Before I engage in a well-earned battle session,(while i'm getting my pizza,chips,coke/coffee,etc),I always play "Any Bonds Today?",and "Sgt Mackenzie"(the haunting theme from "We Were Soldiers",to get in the mood..(Oh yeah,Glenn Miller's "In The Mood"!!!!!!!!!)I download most of my stuff(and offer it) on KaZaa....You can get KaZaa for free on Download.com....;)

Post #: 15
- 2/9/2003 4:06:15 AM   
Figmo

These songs are great - thanks guys.

I'm playing them now - driving my entire family crazy - short drive!!

Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

Post #: 16
Das Panzer Lied - 2/9/2003 10:18:39 AM   
Baldrick

I've seen the word printed as 'brauch' i.e, need, use, handy or serviceable und so veiter.

>BTW, kind of a funny side note to "Ob's Sturmt oder Schneit" (the Panzer Lied) the last line of the 1st verse is
"Es braust unser Panzer..." Which was supposed to mean "It roars, our tank, ..." but the word "braust" also means "brews", which,<

Post #: 17
- 2/9/2003 10:22:05 AM   
Baldrick

I thought the quote had something to do with 'parts most private up a Rutland tree'.

> And gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves a-cursed they were not here and hold their manhoods cheap whiles
any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day...Henry V(Shakespeare)

Post #: 18
- 2/10/2003 12:20:54 AM   
junk2drive

try live365.com a radio type website. simple registration, gender and year of birth. search for wwII will bring up streaming audio sites from that era. it was fun at christmas time to listen to those old songs plus one of the sites played interviews with uso celebrities about their visits with the troops. enjoy!

Post #: 19
- 2/19/2003 11:48:23 PM   
RockinHarry

great war music links, thanks! I´m particularly interested into the very martialic sounding scottish bagpipe´n drums stuff! :eek: :D Does anybody know the song "Cock of the north"??
Who knows more about brit and scottish war songs and what combat units had their own?

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 20
Re: Das Panzer Lied - 2/20/2003 6:34:26 AM   
werderwayne

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Baldrick
[B]I've seen the word printed as 'brauch' i.e, need, use, handy or serviceable und so veiter.

>BTW, kind of a funny side note to "Ob's Sturmt oder Schneit" (the Panzer Lied) the last line of the 1st verse is
"Es braust unser Panzer..." Which was supposed to mean "It roars, our tank, ..." but the word "braust" also means "brews", which,< [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know where you found "brauch", but I have found 4 sources that read "braust", including a very old looking copy of the sheet music.

-WW

Post #: 21
- 2/20/2003 7:31:08 AM   
werderwayne

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RockinHarry
[B]great war music links, thanks! I´m particularly interested into the very martialic sounding scottish bagpipe´n drums stuff! :eek: :D Does anybody know the song "Cock of the north"??
Who knows more about brit and scottish war songs and what combat units had their own? [/B][/QUOTE]

I know "Cock o' the North"...good tune. I have played the bagpipes for rather quite a few years. I have a "Scots Guards Book" which contains all of the regimental tunes of the Scots Guards and then some. The regimental tunes of the Scots Guards are as follows:
Regimental Quick March: "Heilan' Laddie (The Highland Laddie)"*
Regimental Slow March: "The Garb of Old Gaul"
1st battalion:
Right Flank (A company?): "Greenwood Side"
B Company: "The Drunken Piper"
C Company: "The Back of Benachie"
Left Flank (D company?): "Scotland the Brave"
HQ: "The Black Bear" (Also called "the Black bear hornpipe")
I have the info for the other 2 battalions also, and if you care, I can post them also.

*I find this tune very annoying and had to play it WAY too many times in parades and band concerts! The tune is written in the key of B and the drones are tunes to A, making it sound at the end that it isn't over yet.

The following list is ALL SPECULATION, I think it would prove quite accurate:

Units and tunes named after them or regimental tunes are: "King's Own Scottish Borderers"..."All the Blue Bonnets Over the Border". It is a terrific 6/8 march and has a great lilting melody...one of my favorites. "The Black Watch" (was the 42nd Highlanders Black Watch)..."The 42nd Highlanders". It is a catchy 2-part march that starts just like "Scotland the brave". "The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders"..."The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders" (Yep, the name of the unit is the same as the name of the tune).

I hope this helps.

-WW

Post #: 22
- 2/21/2003 8:20:09 PM   
RockinHarry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by werderwayne
[B]I know "Cock o' the North"...good tune. I have played the bagpipes for rather quite a few years. I have a "Scots Guards Book" which contains all of the regimental tunes of the Scots Guards and then some. The regimental tunes of the Scots Guards are as follows:
Regimental Quick March: "Heilan' Laddie (The Highland Laddie)"*
Regimental Slow March: "The Garb of Old Gaul"
1st battalion:
Right Flank (A company?): "Greenwood Side"
B Company: "The Drunken Piper"
C Company: "The Back of Benachie"
Left Flank (D company?): "Scotland the Brave"
HQ: "The Black Bear" (Also called "the Black bear hornpipe")
I have the info for the other 2 battalions also, and if you care, I can post them also.

*I find this tune very annoying and had to play it WAY too many times in parades and band concerts! The tune is written in the key of B and the drones are tunes to A, making it sound at the end that it isn't over yet.

The following list is ALL SPECULATION, I think it would prove quite accurate:

Units and tunes named after them or regimental tunes are: "King's Own Scottish Borderers"..."All the Blue Bonnets Over the Border". It is a terrific 6/8 march and has a great lilting melody...one of my favorites. "The Black Watch" (was the 42nd Highlanders Black Watch)..."The 42nd Highlanders". It is a catchy 2-part march that starts just like "Scotland the brave". "The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders"..."The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders" (Yep, the name of the unit is the same as the name of the tune).

I hope this helps.

-WW [/B][/QUOTE]

thank you very much!:) quite valuable info!

I read about the "Cock of the North" tune in Whittakers "Rhineland: The battle to end the war" book and was curious what it sounds like! IIRC it was mentioned with actions of 51. Highland division. (SPWAW scenario in preparation)

Actually I never was interested in bagpipe music, but after hearing some of the tunes from the mentioned websites, I was pretty impressed about the mood and could well imagine what the tunes had to sound like on the battlefield! I think the german soldiers were impressed as well! :eek: Very martialic...:cool:,..not to be compared with any of the german march music stuff.

Russian war music also sounds very moody!

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 23
- 2/21/2003 10:02:04 PM   
Belisarius

RockinHarry: I know what you mean. :) I wasn't too found of bagpipes either, but since then I've been reading about that the Brits actually put these guys onto the battlefield - El Alamein must have been an eerie experience for the Germans. All that empty space and lots of bagpiping going on.

And also that I, by coincidence, have met quite a few lovely girls that plays the bagpipe (!!). ;) :p

Werderwayne's list is cool. 42nd Highlanders and Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders are indeed catchy tunes.

Got StuG?

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> world war II songs mp3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI