Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pilot replacement drought

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Pilot replacement drought Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pilot replacement drought - 5/3/2014 7:17:29 PM   
olperfessor

I'm playing a game after over a year off, and am puzzled about why in mid-September 1942 there seem to be far too few pilot replacements available. (Allies vs. Japanese AI)

There are, of course, plenty of numbers shown on the pilot replacement screen, although the last column showing the longest-training pilots shows training levels in the 20s (I am not at the game computer, so I do not have the specifics).

When at a squadron screen I go to "get pilots" there are few or none in the general reserves, e.g. no USAAF bomber pilots, no USMC pilots, a few USN fighter pilots.

TRACOM has for months had about a dozen studs each for USAAF and USN, and a handful for the USMC.

So -- have I forgotten one simple step about how to replenish the General Reserve? Will a lot show up in a month or two? Even if the pilots have experience levels of 25, I'd like to get them into on-screen squadrons. Too many planes are rusting.

I should know the answer to my own question, having played this wonderful game off-and-on for years, so maybe this is early-onset dementia. Any help would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Pilot replacement drought - 5/3/2014 9:18:59 PM   
Louisvillan

Seems like you may be getting stuck on the terms "replacements" and "reserves". You used both of them in your description.

When you wish to "get a pilot" from a list, you then request a veteran that you have already sent from a squadron to the reserve list. The system will assign them to Fighter/Bomber/Patrol Reserves based on the squadron they came from. So if you have been sending your hotshots to Tracom, and not sending your good (but not great) pilots to reserves, you may not have any to select.

By September '42 your stateside training squadrons should have brought whole herds of pilots up to 50% General Experience and around 70% specific experience.... These are they guys I graduate from training squadrons into the Reserves list. Then, I use "get pilots" from the replacement pool to bring in a new class of newbies (low 30/high 20 experience level). Then my squadrons at the front can pull these graduated good pilots from the reserve pool.

Another option would be to toggle your good pilots in the training squadrons to 'Inactive', then they could be transfered to another squadron up at the front.

Just a guess,,,, but maybe I've jogged your memory.

Fair Winds and Following Seas

(in reply to olperfessor)
Post #: 2
RE: Pilot replacement drought - 5/3/2014 9:21:39 PM   
kbfchicago

Welcome back!

- Pull up a Squadron in the U.S., when hitting "get new pilot" button select "From... Replacement"

That will pull your novice pilots out of the training schools and into the game.

- You have to stock the "From...Reserve" pool. Typically players will pull novices into State Side units, let them train for a few months, then put them into the Reserve pool. Once in the Reserve pool they'll be available to Squadrons on the front lines.

- To put INTO the reserves. Open up Sqdn, go to "PILOTS", you'll notice (latest production patch applied) at the bottom a "To Pool (Group or Reserve selectable) option for best/least experience, individual, or batches of 5 or 10. You can also select individual pilots and send to reserve by pilot.

Hope that enough of a refresher to get you back on track!

P.S. ~ Exp pilots in TRADOC only do you good in groups of 10. They will help raise the initial exp level of novice pilots coming from flight school.

Kevin

(in reply to olperfessor)
Post #: 3
RE: Pilot replacement drought - 5/4/2014 12:47:18 AM   
olperfessor

Thanks for these quick answers. Yes, Kevin, what I forgot was switching "any" (a shocking affront to my micromanaging instincts) to "from replacement." At last, I can get those rusting stateside airplanes back into the air, after all those months of reassigning their pilots to the front.

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Pilot replacement drought Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI