Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Repair Automation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ship Repair Automation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Repair Automation - 5/4/2014 9:49:59 AM   
Gobuchul

Hi all,

Bought this game pre Shadows, tried it got overwhelmed and shelved it.

Recently bought Shadows to give it another go and am starting to enjoy it but one thing (well, technically two) is bugging me.

When ships are damaged and able to move they appear to repair themselves at the nearest dock, which is good.
When a ship is stranded - damaged and immobile - it appears that I manually have to queue a construction ship. Is there any way to automate this?

On a similar note, I had a fleet engage a Giant Kaltor or two in my home system (pre warp). They destroyed the beasts but two of the ships were damaged - one quite severely.
The fleet gave itself orders to repair and refuel which is good, but the two damaged ships are taking an age to reach the nearest dock.
I can't see any option to queue a construction ship to make running repairs. Do I just have to wait or is there something I can do?

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/4/2014 10:30:35 AM   
Darkspire

Welcome to the forum Gobuchul

1. Construction ships on Auto will repair a damaged ship, eventually. Best option is to have a constructor on manual repair it.

2a. Put the fleet on manual, then order the fleet to refuel/repair, the undamaged ships will now go off for refueling and the damaged ship(s) will be trying to keep up.
2b. Select a constructor and order that to repair the damaged ship, once the constructor is near the damaged ship order that ship to move to the constructor, that will save time and fuel for both constructor and the damaged ship. If there any other damaged ships order them to stop, once one ship is repaired order the constructor to repair the next one, order the damaged ship to move to the constructor. Rinse and repeat
2c. Once the ship(s) is/are repaired select the fleet again and click refuel/repair, that will then get the fleet to regroup.
2d. Put the fleet back to auto.

Sounds complicated but it works and once you have got used to doing it becomes second nature.

Darkspire

(in reply to Gobuchul)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/4/2014 2:16:02 PM   
Shark7

On the part of the immobile damaged ships, if left to the AI, they will eventually get repaired. You may have a very long wait though.

The thing is, the AI will not prioritize ship repair in its build queue. So if the AI has already queued up 6 mining stations, those are going to get built first instead of having a warship repaired first.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/4/2014 4:29:08 PM   
TrooperCooper

One reason why I always rush for the repair bots technology. See the energy research tree, pretty much at the bottom. Its an enhanced damage control. Put a couple or more on each ship (to ensure redundancy in case one gets popped) and you barely ever have to deal with having to repair ships with constructors. They will auto-repair themselfs fast enough.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/4/2014 8:22:09 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrooperCooper

One reason why I always rush for the repair bots technology. See the energy research tree, pretty much at the bottom. Its an enhanced damage control. Put a couple or more on each ship (to ensure redundancy in case one gets popped) and you barely ever have to deal with having to repair ships with constructors. They will auto-repair themselfs fast enough.

Yep, this is my strategy for repairs as well.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to TrooperCooper)
Post #: 5
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/4/2014 10:10:08 PM   
Gobuchul

Thanks for the tips all. I'm learning a little more each time I play and these answers have helped a lot.

Seems a shame you can't assign a constructor or two to just repair duty. Maybe it's because I'm new at the game but I do seem to be under attack by pirates constantly and repairs seem to be the biggest problem.

Repairs and losing my ships to scurvy pirates who beam on board and take my ships as soon as we engage.

Looking through the research tree to formulate a defence...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/4/2014 11:25:24 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

The easiest and cheapest anti-boarding I tend to use is to add Habitation Modules to any design until its at or over 300 Boarding Defense. While it doesn't stop 100% of the takovers, it sure seems to stop the vast majority.

(in reply to Gobuchul)
Post #: 7
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/5/2014 1:51:19 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

The easiest and cheapest anti-boarding I tend to use is to add Habitation Modules to any design until its at or over 300 Boarding Defense. While it doesn't stop 100% of the takovers, it sure seems to stop the vast majority.

And of course having your own assault pods or troop modules will give a ship added anti-boarding defense.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 8
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/5/2014 4:02:08 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

And of course having your own assault pods or troop modules will give a ship added anti-boarding defense.

True, but I have found that Hab Mods are a more efficient usage of space and much cheaper at keeping my Freighters and Explorers safe.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/5/2014 8:24:24 AM   
Gobuchul

Shark7, I had been thinking about troop modules so thanks for confirming that.
Just need to get that far in the research tree.

CyclopsSlayer hadn't thought of habitation modules. Will look into that also.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 10
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/5/2014 2:37:49 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gobuchul

Shark7, I had been thinking about troop modules so thanks for confirming that.
Just need to get that far in the research tree.

CyclopsSlayer hadn't thought of habitation modules. Will look into that also.

Keep in mind that troop modules give ZERO protection if you don't keep troops loaded in them though.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Gobuchul)
Post #: 11
RE: Ship Repair Automation - 5/5/2014 9:00:19 PM   
Canute0

quote:

Seems a shame you can't assign a constructor or two to just repair duty.

Ok, automatical you can't do that.
But noone prevent you to do this manualy.
Put 1-2 constructor's on your hotkeys for your own usage. Park them near system you await some fights and let them repair the ships. But you need to do this all manualy.

Another thing, special at the begining, you are more in need of cash then resources. A damaged ship who need ages to reach a base/constructor for repairs is dead capital. It use maintance cost and don't do anything.
You should scrap that ship and build a new one.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ship Repair Automation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI