Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best modern naval fiction?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Best modern naval fiction? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best modern naval fiction? - 5/9/2014 10:32:12 PM   
lucasner

Having read naval fiction for nearly 30 years (ever since I bought a copy of Hunt for Red October right after it was published) I've come to recognize that much of the naval fiction out there is very poor from a realism/accuracy standpoint.
Of course Tom Clancy and Larry Bond's stuff is above reproach. Also "The War That Never Was" was quite good as was the very old "First Salvo" by Charles D. Taylor.
What else have you read that has good material? Good material that can be converted into scenarios???
Thanks,
Dave
Post #: 1
RE: Best modern naval fiction? - 5/10/2014 5:30:14 AM   
Chicharito19

Well...I realize that Clancy's good. But I just made the mistake of reading SSN by Tom Clancy. ...well I'm still not sure why I read it. I was probably trying to pick up some pointers. But it wasn't very good IMHO.

(in reply to lucasner)
Post #: 2
RE: Best modern naval fiction? - 5/10/2014 12:57:35 PM   
mikmykWS

To be honest naval-military fiction has been a struggle. Amazon has helped by giving aspiring authors opportunities that a large publisher would not but its very difficult to weed through them.

Anyways here's a list of books I've enjoyed recently:

The Aden Effect by Claude Berube
Shattered Trident by Larry Bond
Command Authority by Tom Clancy
Seal Team Six Series by Chuck Dixon
Line of Control by Mainak Dhar

(in reply to Chicharito19)
Post #: 3
RE: Best modern naval fiction? - 5/10/2014 1:14:56 PM   
Sardaukar

The Sixth Battle by Barrett Tillman

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: Best modern naval fiction? - 5/11/2014 9:48:33 AM   
JS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chicharito19

Well...I realize that Clancy's good. But I just made the mistake of reading SSN by Tom Clancy. ...well I'm still not sure why I read it. I was probably trying to pick up some pointers. But it wasn't very good IMHO.

True, but in Clancy's defense, this book is not so much a story driven novel as a bunch of scenarios from the Computer Game with the same name thrown together and adapted into a book. So it tends to be very repetitive, and not very good as an entertaining story. It does have the usual Clancy realism and attention to detail though.

As for other authors, I really enjoyed Nimitz Class, Kilo Class and HMS Unseen, written by Patrick Robinson. They are highly recommended! As I Google him now, I realize that he has since then written a lot of new books too. I guess I need to do some book shopping to catch up!

(in reply to Chicharito19)
Post #: 5
RE: Best modern naval fiction? - 5/11/2014 7:39:12 PM   
lucasner

I have to admit...I am getting a little tired of all the "submarines that get hijacked" books.

(in reply to JS)
Post #: 6
RE: Best modern naval fiction? - 12/12/2014 5:26:49 PM   
Vulcan101

An interesting novel by an ex-USN Capt PT Deuterman called Scorpion in the Sea. Out of Print but lots used on Amazon.

Its the post cold war navy of the early 90's just after the Gulf War, the USN is settling into a period of complacency and bureaucratic empire building. Then a trawler is sunk and appears to have been machinegunned, and no one will even consider the possibility there is an SSK lurking off Mayport.

The skipper of an obsolete destroyer is at first skeptical about the strange sightings and unexplained events off the coast of Florida. The East-Bloc threat has passed--and others don't have the technical capabilities to challenge the U.S. no one will even consider the possibility there is an SSK lurking off Mayport. The answer lies in the Goldsborough's horrific confrontation with the unseen intruders in this fast-paced, suspenseful post-Cold War naval thriller.

(in reply to lucasner)
Post #: 7
RE: Best modern naval fiction? - 12/12/2014 5:29:11 PM   
Vulcan101

It is an excellent novel and according to one Amazon review the combat systems and techniques are very realistic. I have read this a few times over the years and have to say it is an excellent novel and a real page turner.

(in reply to Vulcan101)
Post #: 8
RE: Best modern naval fiction? - 12/20/2014 2:07:30 AM   
kansleri

Not fiction but I have been reading Sandy Woodward's 100 days. From the point of view of Task Force Commander of Falklands conflictt it really slices all that there it is to it. Written with a real writer, so it is an easy read. Overall strategy, tactics, polticians interfering/hesitating, telling High Command to go f themselves, combat, losses (he really took those personally while trying to maintain stiff British attitude and command), technical performance of their missiles (which was ****), radars, Harriers and a few very exciting spec ops stories.

(in reply to Vulcan101)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Best modern naval fiction? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI