Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is STEAM dying or near death?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 3:05:53 PM   
Qwixt

About the only premium games that Steam does not get is the Origin exclusive titles. Steam is far from dying no matter how much you may wish it. I would say it's quite the opposite. What you are seeing is Steams attempt to compete with gog basically. The un-silent minority always thinks it's more prevalent issue than it really is.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 31
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 3:19:27 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Well, having worked in a lot of hardware stores along the way in my life I saw a lot of closures and going out of business sales when they started taking on products they didn't usually carry. Selling anything and everything they could get their hands on and $6 1/2" 4x8 sheets of plywood just to make book on payroll. Course I know this is not hardware but think of if this way. Steam only really sells one product "Software", when that one product becomes saturated or not as popular sales dwindle. Hardware stores on the other hand sell thousands of products and still find themselves not able to make ends meet. As I said I'd just watch for layoffs in the future then the worrying can begin. Even GoG type games won't last forever. Sad thing is "nothing" ever does really.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 32
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 3:46:25 PM   
Werewolf13

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Well, at least I can honestly say I don't have anything on steam that I would greatly miss if they closed the doors tomorrow. I was just concerned that the B - Movie type games were plastered all over the front page now and a lot of early access stuff. I just see a reduction of AAA titles and even the ones they have (Rome 2 and Rebirth) aren't worth the media they are printed on.

Minor thread hijack:

<Rant ON!>
R2 doesn't suck. It just doesn't do what the hardcore TW guys wanted it to do because CA took a different tack than normal.

The R2 haters are very vocal and as the saying goes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. R2 averages 20K+ players a day and pretty much the same 100 or so guys on the steam forums keep hammering it and sheeplike they have their followers who chime in with their "you are right oh great one".

CA is listening, though, and making changes. I've had R2 since patch 6 and jit was a good game then and even better now.

So many of the haters have such convenient memories and don't remember the release of Shogun2. Shogun 2 was a miserable failure according to the haters too when it 1st came out. Now they use it as a shining example of what CA is capable of. Must be fun living in their drab worlds where they've nothing better to do than rag on developers that produce games they keep on playing while trashing them at the same time.
<Rant OFF!>

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

Post #: 33
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 3:54:49 PM   
Terminus

http://steamcharts.com/app/214950

Rome 2 is a TERRIBLE game. They've fixed a lot of stuff, but have obviously given up on the main issues, ie the braindead AI.

And no, it doesn't average 20K players a day. As we can see, by Steam's OWN NUMBERS, it's been steadily leaking players since release. Why? Because it's a BAD GAME.

The people behind it came out and said that they developed the game with the goal of getting a specific MetaCritic score (somewhere in the 90s, I forget which). That's pissing up and down the backs of their audience, no matter how you spin it.

You can like the game if you want to, but don't pretend that anybody who doesn't like it don't have a leg to stand on, and don't make up user statistics that can be disproved by two mouse clicks.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 5/12/2014 5:10:53 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 34
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 4:15:35 PM   
wings7

quote:

I'd more like to see 85-90+ reviewed scored games on the front page than B-Movie crap.

Ross, some of that "B-Movie crap" is "Joyful Game Play" for some gamers.

Patrick

Post #: 35
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 4:20:58 PM   
wings7

quote:

Well, having worked in a lot of hardware stores along the way in my life I saw a lot of closures and going out of business sales.

Ross, Internet online stores have hurt even hardware stores . I still enjoy going to physical stores to buy and look at items and converse with the store owners and customers .

Patrick

Post #: 36
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 4:23:07 PM   
Terminus

Also, the scores are MetaCritic scores, which are INFINITELY skewed by non-professional reviewers. MetaCritic needs to be deathrayed into oblivion.

That being said, and as I've pointed out before, Valve has a colossal problem with quality control. And it IS their responsibility, especially considering how difficult it is to get your money back from them.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 37
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 4:58:20 PM   
Qwixt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Also, the scores are MetaCritic scores, which are INFINITELY skewed by non-professional reviewers. MetaCritic needs to be deathrayed into oblivion.

+Infinity!

I am so sick of hearing people use metacritic user scores to say how good or bad a game is. It's really funny that the scale is 1-10 (or maybe 0-10), when a score is primarily comprised of 1s or 10s. So basically, a binary system.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 38
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 5:43:40 PM   
doomtrader

Sorry for jumping into the middle of discussion without reading it.

However I would like to answer the subject.

STEAM is doing great. We love it. It love us.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 39
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 6:25:52 PM   
Alpha77

I am not using Steam, as I dont buy/want/need new games atm. However I bought a double package with Empire/Napoleon TW and these need Steam as I know. So I will see what this fabulous steam is all about as soon I need to activate these games I guess.

I also think Rome2 sucks, from my research, not even the graphics are really good.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 40
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 6:33:45 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

http://steamcharts.com/app/214950

Rome 2 is a TERRIBLE game. They've fixed a lot of stuff, but have obviously given up on the main issues, ie the braindead AI.

And no, it doesn't average 20K players a day. As we can see, by Steam's OWN NUMBERS, it's been steadily leaking players since release. Why? Because it's a BAD GAME.

The people behind it came out and said that they developed the game with the goal of getting a specific MetaCritic score (somewhere in the 90s, I forget which). That's pissing up and down the backs of their audience, no matter how you spin it.

You can like the game if you want to, but don't pretend that anybody who doesn't like it don't have a leg to stand on, and don't make up user statistics that can be disproved by two mouse clicks.

Wow Terminus I have new found respect for you. I was gonna say that Rome 2 no matter what anyone says got the lowest scores ever on Metacritic even with the glowing pro review scores. It's just bad and I doubt will ever crawl out of the mess it's in. I think this to will reflect on their next game they attempt to sell.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 41
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 6:40:35 PM   
gradenko2k

Digital distribution doesn't have shelf or rack space issues. That by itself sets it on a completely different plane with regards to what is and isn't "acceptable" to be selling.

Post #: 42
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 6:41:40 PM   
Terminus

No, but Valve would like us to believe so. Less expenses and MOAR MONEY for them.

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 43
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 7:04:34 PM   
gradenko2k

Speaking of Steam, Unity of Command is 80% off there for the whole week.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 44
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 10:58:55 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Well, having worked in a lot of hardware stores along the way in my life I saw a lot of closures and going out of business sales when they started taking on products they didn't usually carry. Selling anything and everything they could get their hands on and $6 1/2" 4x8 sheets of plywood just to make book on payroll. Course I know this is not hardware but think of if this way. Steam only really sells one product "Software", when that one product becomes saturated or not as popular sales dwindle. Hardware stores on the other hand sell thousands of products and still find themselves not able to make ends meet. As I said I'd just watch for layoffs in the future then the worrying can begin. Even GoG type games won't last forever. Sad thing is "nothing" ever does really.

Steam isn't a hardware store, and your whole analysis is fundamentally flawed.

You seem to be forgetting what they actually do; with the exception of Valve's own (hugely successful)games they are distributors. They don't buy in and sell stock like a retail business, they sell on behalf of others and take their cut. There is therefore no reason for them not to sell whatever any developers/publisher wish them to sell, other than - arguably - quality control issues. Steam is the dominant online software source, hence (virtually) everybody wants to get their games 'on Steam' because a Steam release sells more copies than all other outlets put together. A burgeoning number of titles is an indication of success, not failure. And it's great for gamers - how many great 'B movie' games would most gamers never even have heard of were it not for release on Steam?

< Message edited by Hertston -- 5/12/2014 11:59:37 PM >

Post #: 45
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/12/2014 11:01:57 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Will the Matrixgames patches and expansions work on it though?

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 46
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/13/2014 12:21:41 AM   
CGGrognard

STEAM is a distributor of software as Herston posted. To understand what STEAM does, just look to cable or satellite television. These industries distribute programming to you, not all catered to your tastes, but covering many different tastes (ala 300+ channels). Recently a study found that most subscribers to cable or satellite tv only watch about 13 channels, which tells you, these industries are trying to accommodate the widest audience possible. Which is why STEAM distributes many, many different games.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

Post #: 47
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/13/2014 3:16:53 AM   
trebcourie

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

Speaking of Steam, Unity of Command is 80% off there for the whole week.

The very same UoC I bought here at Matrix Games last night?

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 48
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/13/2014 8:17:32 AM   
aaatoysandmore

:)

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 5/13/2014 9:27:49 AM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 49
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/13/2014 8:40:23 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: CGGrognard

STEAM is a distributor of software as Herston posted. To understand what STEAM does, just look to cable or satellite television. These industries distribute programming to you, not all catered to your tastes, but covering many different tastes (ala 300+ channels). Recently a study found that most subscribers to cable or satellite tv only watch about 13 channels, which tells you, these industries are trying to accommodate the widest audience possible. Which is why STEAM distributes many, many different games.

And why cable TV is dying out.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 50
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/13/2014 12:24:18 PM   
gradenko2k

The cable TV analogy is apt as far as a representation of how "clogged" a market can get once you're a major player, but it's incomparable in the sense that Steam does allow you to just watch to 8 channels you really want instead of trying to sell everything to you in a bundle. Again, the real problem is that it is sometimes difficult to sift through all of the releases to get to the game that you really want, but that's hardly an argument to make Steam's market capture any less inclusive.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 51
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/13/2014 8:05:24 PM   
Alpha77

Steam and Ebay seem to be cool ideas to make money... You dont sell yourself but take your % of each interaction on your platform.... bad bad that I never have good business ideas

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 52
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/13/2014 9:20:18 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Steam and Ebay seem to be cool ideas to make money... You dont sell yourself but take your % of each interaction on your platform.... bad bad that I never have good business ideas

Offer discounts on your merchandise if people come back to your store and buy $10 worth of merchandise. A 10% discount you'd be surprised how many people flock back to stores for a $1.00 off thinking it's $10 but that is the purchase requirements.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 53
RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? - 5/17/2014 5:12:21 AM   
Athelas2211

Steam has been dying from the start of it. It's not dead though and I never spent so much money on games like I do now.
Distant Worlds was my favourite, and it's going to be mineeeee.......prescious.

Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is STEAM dying or near death? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI