Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help with Mac

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Help with Mac Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help with Mac - 5/13/2014 2:33:02 AM   
gre81

I recently bought an imac so I'm new to getting thing done in this system. I'm using Wineskin and trying to run the game that way, but as far as it gets is the main menu. Once I try to play the music starts then it aborts. I have been able to get the Lock'n Load game to run, but that's about all. Can someone help me through this?
Post #: 1
RE: Help with Mac - 5/13/2014 5:18:08 AM   
hapla

I'm a newcomer to TOAW but I have the game running on Mac almost perfectly.

You need to give parameter "nointro" to Opart 3.exe. If you're not familiar with Wineskin, here's how to do it: in Finder, Ctrl-click (or right-click) the TOAW wrapper application that was created by Wineskin, and select Show Package Contents. From the folder that opens launch Wineskin.app. In there, select Advanced and write nointro to EXE Flags fields. See if it works now by clicking Test Run button.

Also, on the first run, the main menu buttons to begin a new scenario / resume game / etc didn't work in my system. To fix that, I had to select something in the menus. I selected File -> Choose Language, which didn't open language selection, but magically made the buttons working instead. I still wonder why, but I only had to do that once.

If you have any other technical problems like resolution issues, let me know and I can tell you what settings I'm using. I ran the game with Wineskin at first, but there were some minor issues with graphics. For me it works better with plain Wine installed via MacPorts, so that is what I'm using now.

- hannu

(in reply to gre81)
Post #: 2
RE: Help with Mac. Wineskin is great. - 5/13/2014 6:01:30 AM   
governato

I confirm that it works! My (dumber) workaround was to remove the intro sound files.

[edit] The mouse works just fine. I forgot that 'right click' on a Mac Air is done tapping the trackpad with two fingers! ]
So far my only problem is that I need an external mouse to play, as the trackpad of my Mac Air does not seem to right-click properly with TOAW.]

Bottom line: TOAW works perfectly in wineskin.

Btw I also got to work 'Rise of Prussia' and the demo of 'Flashpoint Campaigns'. I plan to to try 'Great War in the East' next.

< Message edited by governato -- 5/19/2014 8:11:31 AM >

(in reply to hapla)
Post #: 3
RE: Help with Mac. Wineskin is great. - 5/13/2014 3:34:35 PM   
gre81

Thanks. I will try it this evening. If I still have problems I will let you know.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 4
RE: Help with Mac. Wineskin is great. - 5/13/2014 11:53:16 PM   
gre81

It worked. I thank you. I never would have figured it out. Now to get Conflict of Heroes to work.

quote:

If you have any other technical problems like resolution issues, let me know and I can tell you what settings I'm using. I ran the game with Wineskin at first, but there were some minor issues with graphics. For me it works better with plain Wine installed via MacPorts, so that is what I'm using now.

I don't understand what MacPorts is.

< Message edited by gre81 -- 5/14/2014 12:56:22 AM >

(in reply to gre81)
Post #: 5
RE: Help with Mac. Wineskin is great. - 5/14/2014 1:31:55 PM   
hapla

quote:

ORIGINAL: gre81
I don't understand what MacPorts is.

The MacPorts Project (macports.org) provides an easy way to install a huge variety of open source applications (Unix software) on OS X, including Wine.

(in reply to gre81)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Help with Mac Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI