Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubber (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubber (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/7/2014 5:35:31 AM   
sealclubber

Losses 7:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sealclubber)
Post #: 91
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/7/2014 5:35:45 AM   
sealclubber

Losses 8:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 92
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/7/2014 5:36:02 AM   
sealclubber

Losses 9:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 93
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/14/2014 12:17:01 AM   
sealclubber

T30 - Jan 11, 1945

We continued the game until T30. The stop-line more or less held. We did switch to Opart3XBb at about T26 but it wasn't enough to change the facts on the ground.

After some discussions we decided to call it quits. However we have decided to give it another go, same sides, but this time with Opart3XBb from the start. There's also going to be an adjustment of Allied tactics this time around so we're expecting a bit of a different game.

I'll likely do another AAR, but it will generally be seasonal unless something particularly interesting is happening.

End of game screenshots from each front included.

France:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 94
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/14/2014 12:17:19 AM   
sealclubber

Italy

Attachment (1)

Post #: 95
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/14/2014 12:17:38 AM   
sealclubber

Eastern Front

Attachment (1)

Post #: 96
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/14/2014 12:18:00 AM   
sealclubber

Southern Front

Attachment (1)

Post #: 97
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/14/2014 12:18:20 AM   
sealclubber

Yugoslavia

Attachment (1)

Post #: 98
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/14/2014 12:18:35 AM   
sealclubber

Sit Rep

Attachment (1)

Post #: 99
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/14/2014 9:31:51 AM   
Cfant

Thank you very much for the great AAR. Astonishing job, holding back the allies on EVERY front! Eager to see you next try :)

Post #: 100
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/14/2014 11:32:20 AM   
governato

Curious to see the rematch and good job at stalling the Allies all along Western front! First time I saw that happen. Did you try a Winter offensive or you (wisely) used it to regroup and build reserves? Also, did your opponent try a serious breakout from Normandy with the Bombers TO option? Btw I recommend using OpartX3b and the new turn and supply rules this time! And thanks for the great AAR, it is a perfect test for the scenario.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 101
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/24/2014 4:52:21 PM   
sealclubber

I used the winter offensive for the replacements... by that point in the game most of my units were at 1/3rd infantry squads at best (and tank strength varied but was quite low in a number of panzer units) so it was a welcome boost.

My opponent didn't really push hard in Normandy early on... I actually asked him about that on turn 4-5ish I think and he promptly started launching more than one attack per turn there... I think his focus was purely on the East. IMO if you don't break out of Normandy by historical at the _latest_ you end up facing reinforcements that, historically, replaced the armies that were totally lost by the Axis in France. Facing both the original armies and the replacement armies around a constricted beachhead is not going to be a good time.

Round 2 is coming soon!

< Message edited by sealclubber -- 5/24/2014 5:53:39 PM >

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 102
RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubb... - 5/24/2014 6:10:36 PM   
sealclubber

A few notes I wrote while doing the AAR (and just remembered I had) for Axis players, based on my play-through:

- Allied firepower is crippling early game and still very strong mid-game. Resting units is critical. Some areas of the map have brutally bad supply but are great defensively (Transylvanian Alps) - you might need to rotate units across entire fronts continuously to keep fresh units in the line - make it work - it's worth it.

- Obvious: for the Axis, panzer divisions are everything. Their proficiency levels are the single advantage you have in this scenario. I also think they are wasted being put into the frontlines (in most cases). One turn in the front and the Allies will grind it into mulch. They are much more effective in the counter-attack. At one point I didn't bother defending certain frontline hexes.. because any Allied units that entered the hex would be at immediate risk of counter-attack by 3 or more totally fresh panzer divisions.

- In the early turns in the East I felt I usually didn't have a choice but to throw the panzer divisions into the line, but I think they are much better behind the lines for quick counter-attacks and (if possible) withdrawn so they can't get pounded by the Allies.

- I can't count the number of times a hex of defending infantry was retreated, but that one fortified, 33/1 panzer battalion held on. By the end of game I had at least two or three of these units at 100% proficiency. I actually almost never rested these units... their impact comes from the TO&E, not their overall combat strength (given their small size) and they were in too high of a demand.

The one comment I'll make for Allied players - aside from having to break out of Normandy, there's nothing else that I think you absolutely must do on a timeline. It's beneficial in the early turns to exploit the bad Axis position, but once you start hitting a solid line that you can't immediately break through, it's probably a good time to consider stopping to rest. They'll be fortified in 3-5 turns and you'll bleed yourself dry. This is not v3.3, where you can grind away slowly and make small (but continuous) territorial gains...

In the east, Deep Battle, not Attrition Warfare, comrade.

Post #: 103
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Europe 44 v6.0 - Mark Stevens (Allies) vs sealclubber (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI