Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

System.ArgumentException Error

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> System.ArgumentException Error Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
System.ArgumentException Error - 5/16/2014 5:28:41 PM   
Xyrael

So, I've been playing Distant Worlds for a few months now. Before I get to what I did immediately before encountering the error, I should note that I encountered an "Invalid Reg Key" error during installation, but that the game ran anyways.

Anyways, I thought to myself I'd like to try out some mods. As a Mass Effect fan, I went to try out the Prothean Cycle Mod. The mod involved replacing much of the images and sound folder as well as putting stuff into the customization folder. I don't have a half-decent program to unzip .rar's (Windows 8 wants me to pay for WinZIP, hah!) So I did most of this file moving manually.

Now I receive this error any time I click the Start New Game button, regardless of whether or not the game is modded:
The following exception occurred in DataGridView:

System.ArgumentException: DataGridViewComboBoxCell value is not valid.

To replace this default dialog please handle the DataError event.

I've reinstalled the game several times to see if a reinstall will fix it, and it doesn't. So I went to google to fix it and found out its a problem with Windows. Now the problem I'm encountering is most of the google solutions I've found are from tech geeks who know far more than me about how to play with window settings. Can someone help me out here? Also, how did I get the error to begin with?

EDIT: Fixed it; within the Users/xxx/AppData folder it's under /Roaming/Code Force Limited. Deleting this folder fixed the error.

< Message edited by Xyrael -- 5/17/2014 12:28:41 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: System.ArgumentException Error - 5/16/2014 10:33:19 PM   
FireLion1983

How did you move files manually without first unpacking the .rar? Get WinRAR, it's free.

(in reply to Xyrael)
Post #: 2
RE: System.ArgumentException Error - 5/16/2014 11:23:47 PM   
Xyrael

I think I used unpacker or something; either way it worked. Also, I can't technically post links but /forums/tm.asp?m=3337097 <-- this guy had the exact same issue as me; it seems the problems comes from switching themes, but I'm unsure what it is. I've tried to do what he did to fix the issue, but when I go to the AppData folder I can't find a folder where Distant Worlds info might be saved, so I'm a bit stuck.

I've gone back and tested each version of Distant Worlds and the original, RotS and Legends all work, it's only Shadows I have issues with.

EDIT: Fixed it; within the Users/xxx/AppData folder it's under /Roaming/Code Force Limited. Deleting this folder fixed the error.

< Message edited by Xyrael -- 5/17/2014 12:28:21 AM >

(in reply to FireLion1983)
Post #: 3
RE: System.ArgumentException Error - 5/17/2014 10:10:16 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xyrael

I think I used unpacker or something; either way it worked. Also, I can't technically post links but /forums/tm.asp?m=3337097 <-- this guy had the exact same issue as me; it seems the problems comes from switching themes, but I'm unsure what it is. I've tried to do what he did to fix the issue, but when I go to the AppData folder I can't find a folder where Distant Worlds info might be saved, so I'm a bit stuck.

I've gone back and tested each version of Distant Worlds and the original, RotS and Legends all work, it's only Shadows I have issues with.

You only need to delete the defaultOptions file from within the ...\Distant Worlds\ version number folder. Deleting the entire folder that you mention will wipe game saves, screenshots, settings and your scores.

Darkspire

(in reply to Xyrael)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> System.ArgumentException Error Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI