Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/21/2014 6:16:07 AM   
jamthree

So is there anyway to assign more than one type to a component? Like adding another line with the same ID?

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 31
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/21/2014 6:41:01 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamthree

So is there anyway to assign more than one type to a component? Like adding another line with the same ID?

One type of what?

Darkspire

(in reply to jamthree)
Post #: 32
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/21/2014 7:49:30 AM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

quote:

One type of what?

Darkspire

One type of 'type'?

I'm guessing not, but I would like to know this, too.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 33
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/21/2014 8:05:22 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

quote:

One type of what?

Darkspire

One type of 'type'?

I'm guessing not, but I would like to know this, too.

I was going to go with resources. He came back to the post then left so it can't be that important.

Darkspire

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 34
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/21/2014 8:11:42 AM   
Osito

[Edit, when I said "I'm guessing not ..." I was referring to whether it was possible, rather than whether that was what he meant. What I wanted to know was whether it was possible to have more than one type of type. Sorry, my ambiguity.]

I think asking about the 'type' makes some sense, as it potentially allows you to create components with more than one basic function, which would be really neat. Do you happen to know whether this is possible, Darkspire?

< Message edited by Osito -- 5/21/2014 9:13:54 AM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 35
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/21/2014 11:02:00 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

I think asking about the 'type' makes some sense, as it potentially allows you to create components with more than one basic function, which would be really neat. Do you happen to know whether this is possible, Darkspire?

Components can only have the one basic function, ECM, warp, armor. reactor etc.

You can only create new component types based on the current types, new ECM, new warp etc.

What has to be taken into account is that DW was never designed with this amount of modding, so for all those that are stating 'I can't see a lot of new stuff added', the fact that Elliot has managed to open it up as much he has is quite a feat, there are many new text files that allow you to change and alter the various parts, like the new biases files, you used to just have race, now you have race families biases as well, add that to the new governments file and its biases file you can really fine tune the way races react towards each other. The new theme structure is great, no longer do we have to write over the master files, themes are self contained.

I have had just as much fun creating things as playing it while testing, and will continue to do so once it has been released, even more so since I was down for a few months with a hardware problem and am still converting Darkverse Legends to Darkverse Universe.

Darkspire

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 36
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/21/2014 11:31:41 AM   
Osito

Thanks for the response Darkspire. I guess it's not long before we'll find out for ourselves just what's possible. It looks like there's a lot of scope for changing things, especially with a little imagination, but it's just human nature to want more ...

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 37
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/21/2014 5:37:43 PM   
ehsumrell1

Well answered Darkspire!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 38
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/22/2014 5:29:38 AM   
jamthree

Yes i meant 'type' as its detailed in the guide as an attribute of components. Darkspire, from doing a bit of civ 4 modding the ability to mod the game as detailed in this guide is severely lacking and as a consumer that's all I care about not the reasons why it can't be provided. Almost everything you can mod is graphical, balance, or content based which is fine but not something alot of modders will invest time into. Basically the star wars/star trek mods can get a bit more fleshed out. Virtually any meaningful mechanical change I would want to make to the game I would be incapable of doing with what is detailed in this guide.

Honestly the modding community in general should come up with separate terms for cosmetic modding and modding that actual provides you with access to a scripting engine and a way to manipulate a game objects/data relationships and attributes and not just their values.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 39
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/22/2014 7:56:04 AM   
Osito

quote:

Yes i meant 'type' as its detailed in the guide as an attribute of components. Darkspire, from doing a bit of civ 4 modding the ability to mod the game as detailed in this guide is severely lacking and as a consumer that's all I care about not the reasons why it can't be provided. Almost everything you can mod is graphical, balance, or content based which is fine but not something alot of modders will invest time into. Basically the star wars/star trek mods can get a bit more fleshed out. Virtually any meaningful mechanical change I would want to make to the game I would be incapable of doing with what is detailed in this guide.

I have some sympathy with that view. I think the problem is that before I knew what would be possible I had put some thought into the things I would like to change, then I found that almost all of my priorities for modding were not possible. It does take a while to readjust to what is actually going to be possible.

I only have myself to blame, as I didn't contribute to the stickied "Modder's Masterlist", nor did I volunteer for beta testing Universe (not that I would have been accepted).

In any event, I think there is still a lot to work with, and I think it goes somewhat further than 'graphics' and 'content'. Furthermore, it seems the developer will be amenable to making further changes after release, where posssible, and subject to demand. I'll have to make sure I actually contribute to the debate this time.

Osito

(in reply to jamthree)
Post #: 40
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/23/2014 8:59:21 PM   
mensrea

I have some questions regarding adding new facilities.

First, is there anyway to increase the number of total facilities/wonders that we may have in game. Currently it looks like its limited to 50.

Second, while it looks like I can do a lot of different things with wonders in regards to adding new facilities that affect colony pop growth/development/etc, those facilities will still be wonders so only one empire can build them one time, correct? If so could you make it so modders can define whether a given wonder can be built more than once, maybe even more than once on a planet (for instance a massive vertical farming complex that can be built many times for small pop growth bonuses)?

Thirdly, is there any way you could add the ability for facilities to have labs that contribute to research?

Fourth, will the AI build facilities I add?

Finally, I did not see anything regarding technologies needed to unlock facilities/wonders. I imagine this would be handled under technology. However, what if I wanted to make a facility instantly available with no pre-req technologies, is there any way to do that?

Sorry for being a pest but I badly want to add more stuff that can be built on planets. It seems like I have all this space on colonies that is terrestrial and would be easier to manage but I'm forced to build things in space where they are more expensive and vulnerable.

Thank you for your time and for this incredible game.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 5/23/2014 10:01:39 PM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 41
RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide - 5/23/2014 11:09:12 PM   
Azurian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azurian

Let me clarify. What is the maximum number of races that can appear in the Galactopedia? In Shadows it was 50 I believe.

I would love to know this.

< Message edited by Azurian -- 5/24/2014 12:10:11 AM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant World Universe: Full Modding Guide Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI