Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DW:U Max Number of Races... In Galactopedia?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> DW:U Max Number of Races... In Galactopedia? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DW:U Max Number of Races... In Galactopedia? - 5/20/2014 7:15:27 PM   
Azurian

In Shadows the max number of Races to choose from was 50 in the Galactopedia . Has the number been increased in Universe?

If it hasn't , I wish is to have the limit set at 99 or 199 because with new Race families you can create quite a variety of new sub-races and new races.

I understand that in game about 30-something is the max number of races you can play against at a time, but 99/199 would be the max number races you can choose/random from the Game Setup screen.

:0

< Message edited by Azurian -- 5/24/2014 12:06:12 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/20/2014 8:04:24 PM   
joeyeti

Why? I do not see this bringing ANYTHING to the game, not even to modding.

Joe

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 2
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/20/2014 9:42:34 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azurian

In Shadows the max number of Races to choose from was 50. Has the number been increased in Universe?

If it hasn't , I wish is to have the limit set at 99 or 199 because with new Race families you can create quite a variety of new sub-races and new races.

I understand that in game about 30-something is the max number of races you can play against at a time, but 99/199 would be the max number races you can choose/random from the Game Setup screen.

:0

Hi Azurian, welcome to the forums

The race limit has not been increased, 50 is more than enough. I understand where your coming from, diversity. Remember you also have Pirate factions, in a normal game with 40+ races I can assure you that is the diversity you require.

quote:

Why? I do not see this bringing ANYTHING to the game, not even to modding.

Do try not to scare the tourists off old chap with all that friendly banter

Darkspire

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 3
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/20/2014 11:20:30 PM   
feygan

I can't see that much benefit in increasing the race number beyond 50. If you take away two for the ancient races, that still leaves 48 unique species. If you have the option for independents to grow then a game that may start out with 20 or so races, can quickly spiral up to 50 quickly. Take into account an empire splitting due to revolts etc and you can suddenly get factions of a race turning up that have totally different government styles etc and behave almost as a subspecies on their own.

If the expansion had included a usable gui tool then I could see how in extreme situations or with powerful hardware this may be wanted. But the notion of trawling through 99 or more race txt files alone gives me a headache, I would pity anyone that endured that sort of task.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 4
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 12:14:05 AM   
JCVocke

I still just want to be able to set the number of Empires to something greater than the number of playable species. It's kind of silly to expect Humanity to have a Unitary Government. I want a Galaxy with around 150 Empires drawn from the 30 or so Species.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 5
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 12:19:43 AM   
ASHBERY76

I would also like the option for more than 50 starting races.I love that in EU you had 200 nations all doing their own thing.

(in reply to JCVocke)
Post #: 6
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 12:25:27 AM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I would also like the option for more than 50 starting races.I love that in EU you had 200 nations all doing their own thing.

200 nations in the EU?!?

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 7
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 12:26:24 AM   
feygan

Considering even a full 1400 star system galaxy will still not give 10 systems to each empire, any galaxy size smaller would not give enough space for any kind of expansion. I think with the current game engine pretty much any machine would die a horrible noisy death trying to run a game with 150 empires.

Perhaps if there is a DW2 and it did take full advantage of real 64 bit abilities and large amounts of ram such a thing would be possible. But then it would also make the game unavailable to all but a select few.

(in reply to JCVocke)
Post #: 8
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 12:30:25 AM   
feygan

EU = Europa universalis

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 9
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 3:59:56 AM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: feygan

EU = Europa universalis

My bad! [Inserts foot into mouth, chews vigorously]

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 10
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 2:40:02 PM   
ASHBERY76

Technically you could make many systems with minor races like in SpaceEmpires that are system bound.A see the Atuuk as Ewok types that would not have hyperdrives.

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 11
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 3:24:58 PM   
Cauldyth

quote:

see the Atuuk as Ewok types that would not have hyperdrives.

To be conquered and harvested as sources of meat...

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 12
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 7:03:05 PM   
Tree Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: JCVocke

I still just want to be able to set the number of Empires to something greater than the number of playable species. It's kind of silly to expect Humanity to have a Unitary Government. I want a Galaxy with around 150 Empires drawn from the 30 or so Species.

There can be independent human colonies and lost human colony ships, just like with other races. You'll also notice your humans' homeworld is never Earth.

(in reply to JCVocke)
Post #: 13
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 10:00:30 PM   
Shark7

Just FYI: I play mods with 34 races and if you put all of them on map, it doesn't leave a lot of open room (even on 15 x 15, 1400 star), especially considering the fact that not every system has a colonizable planet. More than 50 races would just get so crowded it wouldn't be fun at all anymore IMO.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 14
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/21/2014 11:59:35 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

Just a quick note about this, heh.
There are approximately 190 recognized nations on earth today. Not all recognize Taiwan but that would raise the number, there are other nations declared but unacknowledged. The UN has 192 member nations as of last count.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 15
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/22/2014 11:45:30 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

I think the discussion has misplaced terms here:

There are RACES - Unique cultural objects with specific fixed parameters, that differ them from other RACES.
There are FACTIONS - groups of RACE representatives, distinguished by other specific parameters, which can be similar to each other or different, but which artificially separate themselves from other FACTIONS.

DW can have a limited amount of RACES, but a very large amount of FACTIONS, many of the same RACE, but with a different GOVERNMENT TYPE and TERRITORY. The UN includes different COUNTRIES, which may share similar CULTURE.
UN - CULTURE - COUNTRY; DW - RACE - FACTION

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 16
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/22/2014 6:10:21 PM   
JCVocke

Yeah, I want the option to have 100+ Factions on a single map. I want the Inner Core of the Galaxy to look like the Post-Westphalian Holy Roman Empire.

And that isn't possible right now because you cannot start a game with more Factions than you have available Races. I've tried checking that "Independent Species can become full Empires" box but I've never seen that actually happen.

I wouldn't mind so much if the small Independents could at least take control of their home system, even if they couldn't leave it. But they never even seem to do that.

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 17
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/22/2014 6:32:06 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: JCVocke

Yeah, I want the option to have 100+ Factions on a single map. I want the Inner Core of the Galaxy to look like the Post-Westphalian Holy Roman Empire.

And that isn't possible right now because you cannot start a game with more Factions than you have available Races. I've tried checking that "Independent Species can become full Empires" box but I've never seen that actually happen.

I wouldn't mind so much if the small Independents could at least take control of their home system, even if they couldn't leave it. But they never even seem to do that.

Doesn't happen much anymore since the Insectoids got toned down a bit on the population growth values and the other races were scaled to suit, you can see it for yourself if you mod a couple of races with a very population growth, add them to a custom theme as the only races of that that theme, this will speed up the process so you can see the effect, once an independent hits a certain population amount, they become an empire, unfortunately that is it really, I have had many a game where I have defended, allied, given them ships and every help I could, they just do not seem to grow, they just appear with their own color and flag and a little color circle of influence.

Darkspire

(in reply to JCVocke)
Post #: 18
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/23/2014 11:04:12 PM   
Azurian

Let me clarify. What is the maximum number of races that can appear in the Galactopedia? In Shadows it was 50 I believe.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 19
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/23/2014 11:35:07 PM   
pycco

i would think so being as there can be a total of 50 races, haree 78 said that all of his mod races now have a Galactopedia entry only reference i can find ATM.

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 20
RE: DW:U Max Number of Races? - 5/24/2014 12:14:03 AM   
Haree78

I do not know the answer to your question Azurian but the only thing stopping me razing Distant Worlds Extended races above the current number of 40 is running out of ideas to make races actually play differently to what we have right now. I see little point in adding races that are just different looking races that are pretty much the same as another race already in the game.
I am still trying to think of new ways to do things with the options Universe gives but it's difficult to really make something different, 40 different races is a lot....

< Message edited by Haree78 -- 5/24/2014 1:14:45 AM >

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> DW:U Max Number of Races... In Galactopedia? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI