Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will you be playing this on Steam?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Will you be playing this on Steam? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 9:29:54 PM   
Animorganimate

Now that we have the option to play on Steam, is that the path you'll pick? Or will you continue to play the Distant Worlds we know and love DRM free? Will playing it on Steam hamper some of the mods we can use, or alternately, will those who decide not to use Steam miss out on some valuable Workshop add-ons? Let me know what you're thinking.
Post #: 1
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 9:48:35 PM   
FireLion1983

There's no DRM in the Steam version.

(in reply to Animorganimate)
Post #: 2
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 9:56:40 PM   
Animorganimate

Steam is DRM.

(in reply to FireLion1983)
Post #: 3
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 10:01:04 PM   
TonyAAA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Animorganimate

Steam is DRM.

Agreed.

The serial numbers Matrix uses are also a form of DRM.

Post #: 4
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 10:25:25 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

I'll play it on Steam because it gives nice informations about updates and news (if the developer publish them on Steam of course).

Steam just makes everything smoother.

But I'll keep the install and key files on my backup, just in case, because yes, Steam is a DRM.

(in reply to TonyAAA)
Post #: 5
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 10:45:29 PM   
Osito

Not unless there is Steam Workshop support. If they did that, I'd probably use Steam. Otherwise, I don't see the need for it.

(in reply to OzoneGrif_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 10:46:10 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

quote:

Not unless there is Steam Workshop support.

Good point. I would love to see Workshop implemented too.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 7
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 11:06:17 PM   
Animorganimate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

Not unless there is Steam Workshop support. If they did that, I'd probably use Steam. Otherwise, I don't see the need for it.

This is what I was thinking. So I take it there hasn't been any word on Workshop support?

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 8
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 11:08:00 PM   
FireLion1983

quote:

Steam is DRM.

If you say so.

Post #: 9
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 11:10:56 PM   
Osito

quote:

quote:

This is what I was thinking. So I take it there hasn't been any word on Workshop support?

Erik said this on the Steam forum:

"Also possible, but we're going to make a decision after the release based on what the Distant Worlds community wants. The Universe theme system makes sharing mods pretty straightforward and we want to take the non-Steam as well as Steam players into account."

And this:

"We'd like to do it in theory, I just don't want to promise until we've finished evaluating it here. As long as it's not an enormous job and doesn't mess up support for mods outside of Steam, we'd be happy to add it in."

Post #: 10
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/23/2014 11:12:45 PM   
Breet

I know I'm using steam, just for the fact I like to keep things all in the one place (I also ran the quickstart thought a shortcut there most times). Also means friends can nag me w/o having to call me to say 'hey xxxx in game yyyy now'.

As for the whole DRM thing, my guess it will be like other games. It will download the game through steam, that's it. Updates will be done through it's minilauncher (if it still has) and the launcher/game itself can just be run from the steam download directory without steam being open (quite a few games already do this).

Edit: Yep just downloaded through steam. Running the autorun.exe (the launcher, btw windows 8.1 this was a solid black block) or running DistantWorlds.exe didn't launch steam so you won't need it open/connected to play

< Message edited by Breet -- 5/24/2014 1:06:49 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 12:11:11 AM   
Tycow

Yep, I'll be using the Steam version.

(in reply to Breet)
Post #: 12
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 12:15:20 AM   
pycco

as was recently pointed out to me using the steam version will give the developers info on who, when and how many are playing. the work shop i would not use due to there terms of use.

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 13
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 12:42:28 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tony_A

quote:

Steam is DRM.

Agreed.

The serial numbers Matrix uses are also a form of DRM.

True, but they are much less obtrusive than Steam.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to TonyAAA)
Post #: 14
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 1:10:18 AM   
Terl

Yes, I like Steam and have no issues with it. I bought DW and all expansions so far and for $10 more after the discount coupon I got this one too .... I am a happy camper, downloading now

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 15
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 1:10:36 AM   
Grotius

I like Steam achievements, and I like the ease of using Steam to install on laptops as well as my PC, so yes, I'll be using Steam.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 16
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 1:11:34 AM   
Animorganimate

quote:

ORIGINAL: pycco

as was recently pointed out to me using the steam version will give the developers info on who, when and how many are playing. the work shop i would not use due to there terms of use.

Well that's interesting. If me playing the Steam version somehow helps the developers, I may have to reconsider. I love this game and want to support it any way I can.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 17
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 1:31:37 AM   
towerbooks3192

quote:

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif

quote:

Not unless there is Steam Workshop support.

Good point. I would love to see Workshop implemented too.

This for convenience but I love my games from matrix drm free and when I will get my physical copy I would tuck it in bed and give it a goodnight kiss every night.

but additional feature of seeing how many hours you have sunk on the matrix version would ve most welcome though.

Post #: 18
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 1:43:25 AM   
Iwbtone

I want to say no difference there in play.

For me , except some multiplay games fixed by steam, steam most attracting me is steamcloud and workshop, and mention of trophies, I prefer ms live achievements to steam's actually.

So generally, steam need you to start its client firstly, then go for it if you want steam achievements.
If you just want to play game straightly, go drm-free version because it doesn't need internet connection.

< Message edited by Iwbtone -- 5/24/2014 2:53:22 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 1:43:31 AM   
Breet

I don't want to be the one that burst peoples 'I hate drm/steam' bubble here but for Distant Worlds Universe, all it's doing is the same as matrix games (in a dumbed down form)
All your doing is registering a key to your steam account (same way it does with your matrix account)
You have a choice of having steam running after you have downloaded. It isn't required to play (as Erik said in another post)
Just copy a short cut to the DistantWorlds.exe file and you wont need to have steam open/running again when you play it.

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 20
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 1:49:21 AM   
towerbooks3192

quote:

ORIGINAL: Breet

I don't want to be the one that burst peoples 'I hate drm/steam' bubble here but for Distant Worlds Universe, all it's doing is the same as matrix games (in a dumbed down form)
All your doing is registering a key to your steam account (same way it does with your matrix account)
You have a choice of having steam running after you have downloaded. It isn't required to play (as Erik said in another post)
Just copy a short cut to the DistantWorlds.exe file and you wont need to have steam open/running again when you play it.

I apologise for sounding like one of those "steam no buy/play" people but I think steam never bothered me really as I have played games offline with steam countless of times already and they are not as invasive as Uplay or Origin. I love the convenience steam brings especially workshop and the beta patches and the hours sunk in the game but as I have said, I want the actual matrix version because it is what I am used to for this game.

(in reply to Breet)
Post #: 21
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 2:05:20 AM   
Breet

quote:

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

I apologise for sounding like one of those "steam no buy/play" people but I think steam never bothered me really as I have played games offline with steam countless of times already and they are not as invasive as Uplay or Origin. I love the convenience steam brings especially workshop and the beta patches and the hours sunk in the game but as I have said, I want the actual matrix version because it is what I am used to for this game.

Apparently I need to post random comments on the forums to post a link to matrix forums (would have thought matrixgames would be an ok domain) but there is a sticky there "Redeem your free Steam key!" where Surtur01 states that the steam version is the same as matrix game version.

THe only 'difference' is doesn't direct shortcut to the game .exe files (which you can just make yourself) and Steam also adds little 'perks' of having displayable achievements. Maybe in the future steamworkshop which will make it easier to install mods.

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 22
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 4:36:20 AM   
tbrass

I can also confirm no apparent difference between the Steam and Matrix versions. I have had no difficulty creating a custom shortcut to the autorun.exe file in my SteamApps folder and loading it from there without having steam running.

I have had 2 HD failures in the past several years. Steam's policy of buy. . . no, sorry, "license" once, download anywhere, anytime, is important to me.

I am currently running with Steam loaded on the off chance that Erik is going to use the analytical data to improve gameplay.

(in reply to Breet)
Post #: 23
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 8:02:42 AM   
Tree Dog

quote:

Steam is DRM.

Steam is a store.
Steamworks is DRM.

Copy paste your DW:U folder from inside Steam to anywhere else, uninstall Steam or quit it, and you can still play, it's like magics. Using Steamworks or not is up to the publisher, Paradox often does not, for example.

< Message edited by Tree Dog -- 5/24/2014 9:08:29 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 8:14:25 AM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Breet

There is no keys to save or register if you buy it on Steam. I bought it there and I didn't register any keys, I just downloaded installed and played. It's key-DRM free. If you can copy it and run it with Steam uninstalled as said above, it in fact has less DRM than the Matrix version.

< Message edited by Buio -- 5/24/2014 9:16:41 AM >

(in reply to Breet)
Post #: 25
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 8:57:31 AM   
drillerman

Not running Steam. Whats the point of having 2 apps open?

Huh?

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 26
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 10:11:23 AM   
Tree Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

Not running Steam. Whats the point of having 2 apps open?

I hope you didn't forget to also open up your Task Manager and hunt down everything Windows runs that's not useful when playing DW.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 27
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 11:01:18 AM   
WoodMan

If you use the Steam version is there no going back? For example I turned my Trackmanias into Steam version and now there are features ONLY available to the non-Steam version and I can't go back. So, if I turn my DW into Steam can I still install it and use the matrix key without Steam in the future?

Also I'm not a workshop fan, I use the Nexus for Skyrim for example because who would want automatically updating mods, especially when there are multiple options available

But... on the other hand Steam might be more handy way to play since I got so many other games there, just don't want to permantly lose access to my matrix version by turning it into a Steam version. Can you go back?

< Message edited by WoodMan -- 5/24/2014 12:04:59 PM >

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 28
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 11:24:56 AM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
If you use the Steam version is there no going back? For example I turned my Trackmanias into Steam version and now there are features ONLY available to the non-Steam version and I can't go back. So, if I turn my DW into Steam can I still install it and use the matrix key without Steam in the future?

Also I'm not a workshop fan, I use the Nexus for Skyrim for example because who would want automatically updating mods, especially when there are multiple options available

As far as I understand you can always have both licenses.

Regarding Workshop, for Skyrim you have a great 3rd party client(s) on Nexus which makes it a better choice. But most other games don't have that and therefore Workshop is automatically better (easy to find mods, easy to install and update, downloads links never expire).

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 29
RE: Will you be playing this on Steam? - 5/24/2014 11:46:57 AM   
mbar

quote:

THIS would be a really good idea. I don't know how you get Steam Workshop rolling from the publisher stand point but being able to subscribe to mods and have them update automatically is convenient to say the least. Steam Workshop support makes Space Engineers very engaging. It is really fun to browse the workshop and see what other people can contribute. Space Engineers has integrated Steam Workshop so well that it is in the game UI and makes publishing mods very easy. That would be great to see in DWU.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Will you be playing this on Steam? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI