Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Who's Working on Which Mods?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Who's Working on Which Mods? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/26/2014 7:23:21 PM   
FingNewGuy

My primary intention with this thread is to send a shout out to Igard in order to ask him how he felt if I started work on upgrading the Star Trek-TOS mod to Universe... (if he was not going to).

Just below that is: is anyone working on a Star Wars mod?
Post #: 1
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/27/2014 5:27:26 AM   
FingNewGuy

Really? 100-ish peeps have read this and no responses at all?...?

Thanks.

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 2
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/27/2014 5:32:59 AM   
Darkspire

I am always working on a theme

I think everyone is too busy creating things to create posts unless it is an SOU (Save Our Universe).

Darkspire

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 3
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/27/2014 7:34:26 AM   
Deon

I think it's just too early for me to say what I am working on. You've got to realize that people most likely work on hundreds of mods but only a few of them will see the light, mostly because it requires dedication to complete a mod and not everyone is content with sharing their works until they are in a working state. Of course there are always other type of people who always say that they work on something but never release or make anything :).

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 4
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/27/2014 4:22:36 PM   
Locarnus

I m working on an extended tech tree mod,
which will overall try to keep the vanilla balance using levels 4 and 6, for easier merging with mods using the base game tech tree.
It will be compatible with the standard race designs and thus with mods based on them.
The research point progression will be different, currently you can either play with high reseach costs which cripples the AI in the beginning, or you can play with normal research costs, which leads to reaching the end of the tech tree in longer games.

Its other main feature will be more meaningfull ship redesigns.
Most smaller research updates will affect existing components, rather than needlessly splitting eg "Thrust Vector" and "Multivector" in 2 components although there is no other choice for the player.

edit: project cancelled
- cant edit component types (eg phaser characteristics), lets you only play around in existing categories with the base values
- and in order to add a row of projects (eg between beam weapons and ion weapons to add new beam weapons) you have to change the values of all! other projects within the weapons category below the intended new row,
- but the projects of the weapons category are intermixed with the projects of the other categories (industry, energy) in the same file for no reason...

edit: project reopened, but way smaller, primary objective is, to make the research file moddable (not only in theory), and rebalance the tech tree, while keeping close to the vanilla game.

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 5/29/2014 8:37:15 PM >

(in reply to Deon)
Post #: 5
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/27/2014 4:57:13 PM   
Mad Igor

I'm working on work.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 6
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/27/2014 7:32:34 PM   
DasTactic

I'm 'thinking' (probably not doing) of building an installer for graphic mods using NSIS but I don't know enough about the intricacies of getting it working safely.

Was thinking it would need to:

* Recognise the game locations (Matrix and Steam).
* Allow an option to install the mods into the Customize directory.
* Allow an option for graphic enhancement mods to be added to existing mods.
* and for it to flag conflicts if there are already files in the location.
* and for it to split the installation out so people can select which portions they bring across.

Actually - that does sound too hard. Oh well, would have been good. :)

(in reply to Mad Igor)
Post #: 7
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/27/2014 9:51:19 PM   
Fenrisfil

I have been too busy to post much (and these forums seem busier than ever), but I am almost done on my "Many Worlds" cross franchise mod. I will post details when I have enough time to do a proper announcement, but in short it involves Trek, Wars, B5, BSG and has a number of extra cameos (Daleks (Dr. Who), Visitors ("V"), The Lexx, some Farscape stuff, etc). I've utilised all the new "under the hood" stuff from Universe both adding to and modifying and made some radical research path changes along the way.

I need to finish the custom maps (multi-franchise means multi-maps and each one seems to take a long time to get right), tweak a few bits (graphics mostly) and do the related admin stuff (Help files, release documentation etc). I was lucky enough to get a head start but I burned out a little bit and had to deal with some stuff happening so I slowed down. I will try and get a proper announcement post and detailed info (and maybe an ETA) for the weekend.

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 8
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/28/2014 12:57:13 AM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fenrisfil

I have been too busy to post much (and these forums seem busier than ever), but I am almost done on my "Many Worlds" cross franchise mod. I will post details when I have enough time to do a proper announcement, but in short it involves Trek, Wars, B5, BSG and has a number of extra cameos (Daleks (Dr. Who), Visitors ("V"), The Lexx, some Farscape stuff, etc). I've utilised all the new "under the hood" stuff from Universe both adding to and modifying and made some radical research path changes along the way.

I need to finish the custom maps (multi-franchise means multi-maps and each one seems to take a long time to get right), tweak a few bits (graphics mostly) and do the related admin stuff (Help files, release documentation etc). I was lucky enough to get a head start but I burned out a little bit and had to deal with some stuff happening so I slowed down. I will try and get a proper announcement post and detailed info (and maybe an ETA) for the weekend.

This is music to my ears... thank you very much for your work on this; looking forward to it!!

And many thanks to all the replies and like appreciation for the work that you all do on mods for us all!

< Message edited by FingNewGuy -- 5/28/2014 1:58:05 AM >

(in reply to Fenrisfil)
Post #: 9
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/28/2014 1:11:55 AM   
Azurian

Brainstorming adding more Races to game and using Universe Extended as a base. I have modded games before (Civilization IV), and if I do it will be 1-2 new races at a time. I have plenty of ideas, the only limitations I can visualize are race colors (there are only 22 available).

I might start smaller and make new Government Types, and gradually make more complex mods as I go on.

< Message edited by Azurian -- 5/28/2014 2:13:58 AM >

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 10
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/28/2014 3:42:18 AM   
Unforeseen

Lol i still 'want' to make a super/highly detailed galaxy map, but i haven't checked to see if what i heard about being able to save and reuse them is possible nor do i know if i have the kind of time or patience to completely do what i want to do with it. ETA ten years maybe? :P

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 11
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/28/2014 4:14:08 AM   
tjhkkr

I am working on Clone Wars seguing into Rebellion, with all the SW paraphenalia

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 12
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/28/2014 5:06:16 AM   
Grotius

Is anyone doing a mod that represents our own galaxy? Obviously DW can't model the entire galaxy, but it might be fun to see what's lurking on Alpha Centauri or Wolf 359.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 13
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/28/2014 9:09:55 AM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen
Lol i still 'want' to make a super/highly detailed galaxy map, but i haven't checked to see if what i heard about being able to save and reuse them is possible nor do i know if i have the kind of time or patience to completely do what i want to do with it. ETA ten years maybe? :P

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius
Is anyone doing a mod that represents our own galaxy? Obviously DW can't model the entire galaxy, but it might be fun to see what's lurking on Alpha Centauri or Wolf 359.

I am working on a few 'realistic' galaxy maps (well, as realistic as you can get in 2D, anyway). I even went to the trouble of acquiring data on about 1000 stars within 600 light years of Sol, including distance, direction and spectral type. However, I'm waiting to see whether Matrix will do anything about my proposals for the game editor in this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3617590

because it's very time consuming to build a detailed and 'accurate' map with the present editor. (I even went to the trouble of printing a grid on a transparency and sticking it over my monitor.)

Anyway, if you want to see these maps anytime soon, I suggest you bump my thread in the hope that gets some of the changes made. :-)

Osito

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 14
RE: Who's Working on Which Mods? - 5/29/2014 7:38:37 PM   
Locarnus

Project reopened, to make the research file moddable without headache and rebalance/somewhat extend the tech tree.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Who's Working on Which Mods? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI