Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Master Wishlist Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 1/18/2014 8:32:14 PM   
ComJak

Hey,

I would like for the ship and research screens to remember the page you were looking at so that you could easily access the things you wanted while being able to quit out of the screen momentarily to, for instance, check on something else.

IE:

Open ship screen, use dropdown to show military ships only, fiddle about, close the ship screen, HERE i would like to be able to quickly access the military ships list again but instead, I have to redo the entire sequence from the beginning.

Same applies to research but it's not as annoying.

Thanks.

ComJak

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 1681
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 1/20/2014 12:22:19 PM   
Jeeves

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hyena Grin

I would love the option in the Fleet Menu to set fleets as 'invisible' to the quick-menu on the left side of the screen.

Basically, I want to be able to create dozens of small (three to five ship) fleets for defending planets or stations without them cluttering up the quick-menu and making it hard to find the fleets that I actually want to control.

I solved this problem by renaming fleets I don't want near the top of list to "Z" fleet name, by double clicking each selected fleet to be put to sleep and renaming it with a z prefix followed by space then old fleet name. Also it helps to name each fleet assigned to colony defense after the world it defends...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Hyena Grin)
Post #: 1682
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 1/20/2014 7:22:51 PM   
Hawkeye_BF

Hi,

Here are some big wishes from me for the next update of DW.

1. Larger, deeper and bigger Techtrees. (For Example the possibility to research Miniaturization of components or range of weapons and scanners)
2. The Possibility to trade with colonys und the possibility to give a Colony to another empire
3. The Possibility to give a complete Fleet to another empire
4. Attack/defense/formation tacktics for fleets
5. More Race specific research
6. More ship components, military ship designs
7. More race specific events
8. More planetary Facilitys und MORE MICROMANAGEMENT
9. Tactical options for ground assault
and 10. More different Character Images

Sorry for my bad english but iam a german.

Thank yor very much

Post #: 1683
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 1/27/2014 2:14:22 AM   
terololo

-There should be an editable list on research queues. it's quite a pain that you have queued some tech, when you need to re-order them, you must right click all the queued techs and re-left click for the new queque order.
-Research screen should be zoom-out-able
-List on discovered enemy planets in resource planner.
-List of *potentially* colonizable planets(planets that colonizable but you don't have the tech yet)
-Setting tax rate should instantly show potential growth rate
-Smaller row height on ship list, more filters.
-finally, Espionage screen and Ship Design Screen could be really improved

quote:

ORIGINAL: VorteeX

I approve this idea

< Message edited by terololo -- 1/27/2014 4:42:02 AM >

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 1684
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 1/29/2014 10:53:37 PM   
tjhkkr

I know this is a very late date to ask this...
Is there any hope of adding an agent swap for captured agents to the diplomacy screen?
Perhaps the price and so on could be evaluated by the key issues of espionage, sabotage, counterespionage...
That would be a way cool addition!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to terololo)
Post #: 1685
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 1/29/2014 10:54:08 PM   
tjhkkr

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 1/29/2014 11:54:49 PM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to terololo)
Post #: 1686
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 2/10/2014 10:52:43 PM   
Ardilus

I have a small list I've been assembling for awhile..

DISLIKES

I don't like that I can trade a mining station I own to a rival empire, when it is about to be sacked by pirates, and still gain both profit and favor.

Mining stations are insanely overvalued.

I don't like that rivals will buy anything you want to sell upon request. I certainly don't!

WANTS

A percentage population breakdown by species at least on the empire summary, and the troop type and physical size listed on the troops screen.

I would *really* like a design image filter on the design screen, where I can filter by ship set or type. Or, a grid-view of this kind would also be very nice.

I would like a more detailed set of ship behavior options. For example,
Shields Below 50%: (Set to option) ---> Standoff
Shields Below 20%: ---> Evade
Armor Below 50%: ---> Escape
Etc. Something like this could greatly enhance the player's tactical design options.

I would also like to be able to pause and un-pause current ship / fleet missions without stopping them. It would be great to have a view for queued missions as well, editable?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 1687
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 2/14/2014 2:23:29 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

One feature I frequently miss is a simple search on the Map.
An operations map may show you a Base, but only for a while then it vanishes from the players map. The Military Advisors seem to remember it was there. So if they were to recommend an attack offer to the pirates I would like to send a fleet of my own there.
BUT! Finding the "YM261 Gas Cloud" can be quite the chore.

Adding a basic text search for object name would simplify the task greatly.

(in reply to Ardilus)
Post #: 1688
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 2/24/2014 11:25:35 AM   
Anag

I wish it would be possible to flag system as a no-fly zone. In my current game there is a strong pirate stronghold in one of my systems, and mining ships keep flying there and getting destroyed/captured. There doesn't seem to be a way to prevent that, short of destroying that stronghold which I can't do with my current strength.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 1689
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 3/10/2014 3:01:49 AM   
Cauldyth

I posted this in another thread, but ehsumrell1 suggested I copy it here too:

I would love to see a modification to the Shakturi's arrival, to make it a little more mysterious and a little less predictable. Suppose once you trigger the beacon, 3-5 refugee races show up, claiming to be fleeing the great Shakturi menace. All but one of those races is actually telling the truth, and the remaining one is the real Shakturi race, which only reveals itself later. Keep the player guessing for a while!

The game could even plant some hints as to which one is the real Shakturi, which the player could uncover by espionage, exploration, etc.

(in reply to Anag)
Post #: 1690
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 3/10/2014 10:48:11 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

I posted this in another thread, but ehsumrell1 suggested I copy it here too:

I would love to see a modification to the Shakturi's arrival, to make it a little more mysterious and a little less predictable. Suppose once you trigger the beacon, 3-5 refugee races show up, claiming to be fleeing the great Shakturi menace. All but one of those races is actually telling the truth, and the remaining one is the real Shakturi race, which only reveals itself later. Keep the player guessing for a while!

The game could even plant some hints as to which one is the real Shakturi, which the player could uncover by espionage, exploration, etc.

+1

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 1691
RE: Use ESC to close Submenues - 3/29/2014 8:55:16 PM   
lesharris

quote:

ORIGINAL: VorteeX

I wanna this, like in Space Empires 5. So you can still design fast or slow/armored frigate but you can't make Death Star Frigate like now :) So huls get they meaning.

+1 on this so hard. There are a couple of 4x space games that handle ship design like this and it really is fantastic. Too late for Universe maybe but please consider for a DW 2!

(in reply to VorteeX)
Post #: 1692
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/5/2014 3:59:39 PM   
Antarian

It's probably too late to get my wishes in, but my things:

Diplomacy
-----------
Ability to gift ship designs, specific ships

Agents
--------
Steal money mission type

Design
-------
Ability to create custom ship classes per race
Ability to create specific ship name lists per race
Ability to start a race with specific tech. So for example, I could have a TOS Romulan Empire start with plasma torpedoes, cloaking device, and low warp tech.

Ability to design your own space monsters, including all attributes, behavior and stats.

Research
----------
Ability to improve upon an existing component by a 'component enhancement' research.

For example, you could research your existing maxxos blasters. The outcome is a random improvement in:
- range
- damage
- energy use
- size

You also get to name this new blaster type, trade it, sell it, ect... This will greatly improve the flavour of the different races.

"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.

Post #: 1693
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/5/2014 4:13:58 PM   
Shark7

You can already give ships to other empires in Shadows.

Choose the ship, right click on it, then use the 'give to' option to assign what empire to give it to, and it instantly changes ownership.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 1694
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/12/2014 3:45:55 PM   
Antarian

Well, that was certainly buried in the help, never heard of it!

What I mean is the ability to add this to the trading screen. Just as you can transfer ownership of bases, you should be able to request a gift of specific ships, be offered that by AI races instead of money sometimes, and also ask for a ship design template.

For example, the Romulans gifted the Bird of Prey ship design to the Klingons during their brief military alliance. This allowed the Klingons to build the design themselves. This is common today, the Israelies based the excellent Kfir class fighter on the French Dassault Mirage, and the Indians have several types of Russian fighters, both stock and modded by themselves. You would not get the components along with this, just the ability to build those ships, perhaps with a premium, with those components it came with, in your own shipyards. The pirates freely have the ability to steal these designs now, so why not give it to the major powers?

"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 1695
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/12/2014 3:49:06 PM   
Antarian

I would make them more like the Shadows from Bab 5. They show up as mysterious unidentified ships you see occasionally, they mess with races, seem to act almost random but there is a hidden agenda. Finally they are found, and burst forth in full glory, and have to be defeated. Until then they are hidden. They should be a 'super-race' like the Antarians from MOO2, they do not need much territory or resources, they are invaders to this galaxy.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 1696
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/15/2014 4:45:51 PM   
Antarian

Some other items I'd add:

- Fleets AI still needs work. It's funny... it seems the computer AI get's the better AI than I do, and my fleets are just dumb. They will fly off by themselves when not told, refuel their ships when not needed, even when under attack, and they seem to ignore the 'patrol system' order, they just fly to the system's sun and park.

- It would be good to have a construction routing order, common in other games, to rally ships to a point, system, ect, rather than have to park the fleet flagship there and join the ships to the fleet. Should be able to just give a starbase orders to send all military ships built to such and such coordinates until further notice type order?

- Would be nice to be able to give troopships an order to 'keep bringing troops to this planet battle until told otherwise' which would cause them to fly off after dropping troops, to the nearest colony that can fully load them up, and return with more troops. Manually coordinating large invasions like this is an administrative nightmare.

- And again, mentioned before, something has to be done about elapsed time for combat and fueling. It's ridiculous that it takes months to refuel a large fleet, and also ridiculous that battles take months to complete. This gives the computer AI a huge advantage, as it can monitor all it's ships simultaneously in several battles at once, while the human player must hope and flit from one battle to another micro-managing his ships to ensure they aren't doing something stupid like picking their nose in orbit while a major battle rages around them. I would suggest a setting to expand time in battles so that minutes pass, not days. This may be difficult though as it seems the underlying code seems to run real-time in all places at all times.

- Finally, what is with bases ignoring enemies until they are shot at???
Bases should immediately launch all fighters as soon as a single enemy ship or pirate are detected in the system, and begin firing long range weapons immediately at them when in range.

As mentioned above, ALL

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 1697
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/15/2014 4:51:56 PM   
Antarian

This design screen seems lifted right from Space Empires V, the other excellent 4X fully modifiable game out there.

I"d only add this to this game if the component placement meant something. IE, instead of all your weapons firing from a central location, define arcs for weapons. I never liked how my capital ships can fire off all their heavy weapons from the rear, weapons are typically not 360 unless you have a dorsal or ventral 360 turret installed for it.

Define 4 quadrants for incoming damage and arcs for weapon components. MOO 2 did an excellent system where you could add arcs to individual weapons but it increased their size. You could also define light, medium, heavy and massive weapon mounts as in Space Empires V.

If doing this you would need to make armour even smaller, so you could get enough coverage for it.

(in reply to terololo)
Post #: 1698
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/15/2014 5:15:51 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antarian

Some other items I'd add:

- Fleets AI still needs work. It's funny... it seems the computer AI get's the better AI than I do, and my fleets are just dumb. They will fly off by themselves when not told, refuel their ships when not needed, even when under attack, and they seem to ignore the 'patrol system' order, they just fly to the system's sun and park.

So true. I issue Patrol orders the fleet gets there, fights once, and stops dead in space with "no mission". Next thing I know the fleet flies off to refuel and parks at the refueling station. The Fleet MUST be able to have persistent orders set.

quote:

- It would be good to have a construction routing order, common in other games, to rally ships to a point, system, ect, rather than have to park the fleet flagship there and join the ships to the fleet. Should be able to just give a starbase orders to send all military ships built to such and such coordinates until further notice type order?

Dear Gods, yes. Rallying a fleet can be an exercise in futility. I should be able to assign an order, enmasse, to any base to build the ships at said base. Failing that, let me set a Home point that all new construction will head to. By default the Fleets Home location that currently means almost nothing?
Especially if something happens when the fleet is only partly built, the ships still in queue never seem to coordinate properly.
As well, a 'Fleet Warp' type command so the fleet jumps together and doesn't get strung out over half a sector right from the start.

Somewhat related, when a fleet refuels, it seems that the ships need to dock in some fixed order to check their fuel status. Issue a refuel order, and ship1 docks - nope already full and undocks, ship2 docks and undocks, etc... finally ship8 the only ship still needing fuel gets a turn and refuels. REALLY!!!??!?

quote:

- Finally, what is with bases ignoring enemies until they are shot at???
Bases should immediately launch all fighters as soon as a single enemy ship or pirate are detected in the system, and begin firing long range weapons immediately at them when in range.

As mentioned above, ALL

I cannot agree enough. Put at least a single Fighter Bay on the base and prelaunch the Fighters. THEY actually engage at range and will wake up the sleeping base crews to "OH! you mean we are actually supposed to fire these guns?!?"

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 1699
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/23/2014 10:29:01 AM   
Icemania

The main upgrade needed in Distant Worlds is the AI. And due to the sheer amount of time taken by the player to do Exploration micro properly as compared to other micro, the number 1 AI issue in my opinion is Exploration.

There are some improvements that can be made that are not algorithmically complex i.e. that will not slow the game down due to excessive computation.

1. Change the AI to change exploration targets when the resource is discovered (i.e. with Proximity Arrays). At the moment the AI will waste a huge amount of time going to the centre of the target and only then change targets. When a planet has ruins that need investigating this maybe needed but otherwise it should change missions as soon as the resources are revealed.

2. The AI does not prioritise exploration targets. Early game in nearby systems I may want to explore everything. But after that I focus on exploring planets with ruins, storyline targets (e.g. debris fields, supply outposts etc), planets that may have Super Luxuries (i.e. always certain types) and perhaps also colonisable planets. To improve this we could have an automation window that allows us to turn on or off AI exploration targets by category. This way time is not wasted exploring every useless ball of rock and gas giant in existence.

Those two suggestions alone would massively decrease the time required by the AI to explore and find targets of strategic interest. Some Human Players would be more inclined to automate while the AI Empires would also be more competitive.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 1700
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/23/2014 2:16:09 PM   
Jeeves

I wish I could specify how many of each civilian ship type I want built per colony. For example I've always wanted more miners... Now if I get to do that I wish the miners would mine sensibly rather than worthless lead 68 asteroids or sitting idle like the gas miners often do...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 1701
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/27/2014 6:54:53 PM   
Antarian

One thing that would really help the modding community with this game would be the ability to enable a detailed logging file for crashes when modding.

Post #: 1702
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/9/2014 4:21:16 AM   
Hannable

This is kind of a minor point - but then again, maybe not because I find it rather irritating and misleading.

1) When a ship is repaired, the pop-up message should say that the ship is repaired - NOT that the ship was completed. It gets annoying when I have new ships coming off the assembly line while other ships are being repaired elsewhere in the galaxy. I get a message stating that such-and-such a ship was completed so I click to go there only to find out it wasn't a new ship that needs a fleet assignment but rather an old ship that was repaired. Unless you memorize the name of every ship in your fleet, you get led on merry little chases as you click on ships you don't need to click on.

2) Same thing when a ship is destroyed. Instead of the pop-up saying such-and-such a ship was destroyed, it will tell me it has completed its mission! Well, I suppose it DID complete its mission, but not in a good way. What would be nice is a toggle that will allow players to receive messages of ships being destroyed. It helps when dealing with replacements and logistics. If there are lots of battles going on all the time, players can toggle the messages off.

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 1703
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/18/2014 9:51:25 PM   
Hannable

What I would like to see in addition to some of the great ideas already posted ...

When a fleet is selected, I'd like to have a "back" button when selecting individual ships.

Sometimes when I have a mixed fleet of my own ships and captured ships, I often have to refuel and upgrade them individually. Right now, from the info box in the bottom left corner, if I select an individual ship to check it's stats, I have to click off the fleet entirely and re-select the fleet again before I can check a different ship.

So, when you click on a ship icon from the fleet view in the bottom left corner, being able to click a "back" button to get back to the fleet (giving access to the clickable ship icons again) would be very helpful.

Hopefully I made enough sense so you know what I'm talking about. I'm sure it's too late to include in the Universe release, but perhaps this functionality can be put into a future patch.

Thanks.

(in reply to Hannable)
Post #: 1704
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/18/2014 11:25:26 PM   
FireLion1983

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hannable

What I would like to see in addition to some of the great ideas already posted ...

When a fleet is selected, I'd like to have a "back" button when selecting individual ships.

Sometimes when I have a mixed fleet of my own ships and captured ships, I often have to refuel and upgrade them individually. Right now, from the info box in the bottom left corner, if I select an individual ship to check it's stats, I have to click off the fleet entirely and re-select the fleet again before I can check a different ship.

So, when you click on a ship icon from the fleet view in the bottom left corner, being able to click a "back" button to get back to the fleet (giving access to the clickable ship icons again) would be very helpful.

Hopefully I made enough sense so you know what I'm talking about. I'm sure it's too late to include in the Universe release, but perhaps this functionality can be put into a future patch.

Thanks.

Just press B or the arrow above the info box.

(in reply to Hannable)
Post #: 1705
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/22/2014 3:52:32 AM   
Bebop Cola

I was interested to see that with Universe new resources could be modded in, and especially that some resources could be produced at colonies of sufficient population/development levels. One of my wishlist items from a while back was a trade goods feature implemented.

Unfortunately, the Mod guide isn't showing me any way that such a resource could be implemented in a meaningful way. I mean, the resource could be added to be created at a colony, but what push factors encourage it to be traded versus just being kept at the colony for local consumption?

Moreover, everyone's trade goods would be the same. There doesn't appear to be any way in the resource section to create race-specific resources. For example, there doesn't appear to be any way to restrict a Securan Incense or Shandar Opals resources to those races. Any colony-produced resource added is made by every colony in every empire.

This works fine for some manufactured goods like starship fuel or manufacturing prefabs, but doesn't seem like it would do much for trade goods. If everyone makes the same trade goods, and all trade goods are equally valuable, then the only empire making the largest surplus of the goods(ie. has the largest colony world) really benefits. If we could create race-specific resources then even an anemically developed empire might still have a redeeming trade network. Moreover, it would promote incorporating other races into one's empire so as to produce new trade goods. Of course, the game would then need to do some manner of population calculation for a mixed-race world to see what trade good(s)they might produce, so maybe there would be a coding limitation there.

Is this something that could be added in with a future update to Universe?

(in reply to FireLion1983)
Post #: 1706
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/24/2014 4:39:44 AM   
tbrass

DW:2 - it would be really, really nice to have a native Linux build. As a poor substitute, making it work with Wine would be okay.

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 1707
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/25/2014 12:15:35 AM   
noego

Probably too late for this... But... Music files are like:

Action1.mp3
Action2.mp3
BoldStroke.mp3
etc.

Would it be possible to make one directory per music type and then maybe we could drop mp3s into each directory for DW to pick from.

Pretty please, with a cherry on top!

(in reply to tbrass)
Post #: 1708
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/26/2014 10:46:05 PM   
Bebop Cola

If possible with Universe, I'd like a way to export events. If I create a particularly complex event that I think I'd want to use in a future scenario, I'd like a way to export that event to import into a different map.

(in reply to noego)
Post #: 1709
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2014 9:20:34 PM   
Kobracan

Very simple request. In the design screen (maybe just above the warning box), it would be nice to be able to see ship size limits. This info is available on the "designs" screen but not on the actual design page. The warning box tells you if you go over the limit but it's nice to be able to see it as numbers so you can plan for it while designing. I hate having to go back one screen and having to start the design over because I forgot what the design size limit was.

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 1710
Page:   <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI