Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 4:58:07 AM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidey

So the moment the damn fonts are readable for those of us who aren't good at reading 2mm tall letters from 18 inches away (yes, I literally measured using a ruler), we have a new wave of people complaining that the font is too big? Come on. Tell me which is a bigger problem, that fonts are so big you could read them from even further away or that fonts are so small that a good chunk of people literally can't read the damn things without wiping their noses in their monitors?

Sure, making it optional would be nice but I'd definitely prefer they err on the side of usability and functionality rather than on style.

And yeah, it's really funny that some of you people can joke about a handicap other people have. That's absolutely amazing behavior, isn't it? You truly should feel proud about that.

Nobody is asking for a feature rollbacks as evident by every corresponding post in this thread. Those of us who liked the font size the way it was are merely asking for an option. I don't see a problem with that.

Also...

quote:

You should say what you prefered about the large font instead of complaining about the old font.

What is it then, it had less lines displayed? The visible text was smaller?
Maybe they can continue improving it.

Try to think further than just your habits.

The above seems sort of silly no? Maybe even slightly rude?

< Message edited by mr_flappypants -- 5/29/2014 6:08:50 AM >

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 31
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 5:28:53 AM   
Spidey

There's requesting politely an optional toggle between the new and the old font and there's demanding (!!) to not have to give up two lines in the news ticker box in order to let those with worse eyesight play the game without getting a headache from constant squinting. Which would you say has been used so far in this topic, Flappypants?

And do you think your response wasn't the tiniest bit rude? That "made font size large enough for you to read." bit isn't you having a go at everyone who can't see a relatively tiny and gnarly font with poor contrast? Yeah, I know, you just wanted to hit back at a comment that looked a bit arrogant, but was it necessary to make fun of anyone who had a hard time with the old font?

(in reply to nedcorleone1)
Post #: 32
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 6:15:03 AM   
DPimentel

This is only a beta patch. Maybe the developers will add the option to the final version of the patch assuming people stay civil about it.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 33
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 6:27:25 AM   
Shark7

As one of the people who weren't having problems with the font pre-fix, all I can say is it should be optional. For me, the new font size is over-powering. I like it a bit smaller. Though I agree that for folks with worse eye sight than mine, the option for bigger fonts is a must.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to DPimentel)
Post #: 34
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 7:03:32 AM   
Draakon

Agreed, I also prefer the smaller font. So please, can we have a tick-able box to turn it on and off?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 35
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 8:05:31 AM   
Osito

Speaking as someone who has been moaning about the readability of the text ever since I bought this game, I do see why people who had no problems with the font might have preferred the old system, particularly with regard to the message box, where the number of messages displayed is lower. Personally, I'd rather have the readability, but I see the point.

Just to be clear, for those who are making this point, presumably your main gripe is with the message area, rather than any of the other areas?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wizaerd

Any screenshot comparisons of the box in the left hand side of the screen?

I didn't notice any change to the left hand side: the menu down the left hand side is still a bit difficult, for me at least, but I appreciate the efforts that have been made in other areas. Also, I didn't bother trying to show the bottom left box, since this was in effect fixed by the 'enlarge' button.

Finally, one point I would make on the diplomacy screen is that the race names are still pretty difficult to make out, but some of them are clear (eg Terran Federation and Ackdarian republic.). I wonder whether this could be fixed by an adjustment of the way this is coloured, rather than a size change.

Osito

(in reply to Draakon)
Post #: 36
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 8:24:15 AM   
Rahal

From the screenshots it looks like we're only losing 1 message line out of 5 (20%). It's not as big a change as it looks except in legibility.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 37
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 8:45:51 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

Finally, one point I would make on the diplomacy screen is that the race names are still pretty difficult to make out, but some of them are clear (eg Terran Federation and Ackdarian republic.). I wonder whether this could be fixed by an adjustment of the way this is coloured, rather than a size change.

The diplomacy screen mid game is not difficult but not easy to read with the smaller font, as you have pointed out it is the color. The other problem though is the general formatting of the text, trying to read it with the smaller font when a race has advanced a fair amount leads to clipping lines all over, the larger font will only make that worse.

Regards the message box, it is more the case that even with the smaller font there was clipping of lines, now the clipping is much more noticeable and leads to constantly having to go into the messages screen to read the full info of a message, with the small font I hardly ever had to go into that screen.

I am more than happy that the small font issue is being addressed again, it did put a lot of folk off and if it means more folks joining in on all the fun I will quite happily give it a thumbs up.

All I ask though is that it be made optional, I feel like I am playing a console port every time I look at the message box.

Darkspire

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 38
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 10:34:17 AM   
Morelyn

Add another vote for the _option_ to retain the old text size, but it's not a huge deal for me.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 39
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 11:25:27 AM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

There's requesting politely an optional toggle between the new and the old font and there's demanding

You really think the way we've voiced our desire for an 'option' is bad? The font was finally 'dealt with' after an overwhelming number of demands were made with a level of 'whine and entitlement' that would make your jaw hit the floor. Take a few minutes to peruse those then come back here and remind me again about how 'impolite' our requests have actually been.

< Message edited by mr_flappypants -- 5/29/2014 12:53:33 PM >

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 40
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 11:56:30 AM   
joeyeti

I would suggest leaving beating that dead horse and returning to topic.

I too am in the camp "if you can make it optional, do it!", just for the sake that I like options wherever I can. Even if I have to wade through 50 choices to tailor my game, I am all for it!

Joe

Post #: 41
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 12:14:47 PM   
drillerman

Hah! Well well, it's mr flappypants!

Huh?

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 42
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 12:35:20 PM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

Hah! Well well, it's mr flappypants!

< Message edited by mr_flappypants -- 5/29/2014 1:35:34 PM >

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 43
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 1:46:35 PM   
Spidey

quote:

ORIGINAL: mr_flappypants

quote:

There's requesting politely an optional toggle between the new and the old font and there's demanding

You really think the way we've voiced our desire for an 'option' is bad? The font was finally 'dealt with' after an overwhelming number of demands were made with a level of 'whine and entitlement' that would make your jaw hit the floor. Take a few minutes to peruse those then come back here and remind me again about how 'impolite' our requests have actually been.

Yeah, I really think that pretending that anyone who could possibly prefer the new fonts over the old ones need size 40 letters to read stuff on the forum. That's just bollocks and you know it.

And yes, I do think it's aggressive as hell to start throwing around terms like "this is unacceptable" and whatnot. And I haven't seen it done by the "bigger fonts" segment in the half year I've been around, so why don't you take a few minutes to suck in some air and get some perspective?

Post #: 44
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 2:23:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

Given the number of requests for larger fonts both now and over time and no requests for "leave my fonts alone", we honestly did not consider that some customers would want the fonts to stay exactly the same. I'll see what we can do to make it possible to have two options for this.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 45
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 2:36:50 PM   
Haree78

I guess those of us who were fine with the font expected a scalable solution based on resolution if one was to be implemented.

For me the old font was fine and removing information off of my screen isn't necessary so I would much prefer the option to keep the old font particularly in the info text at the top of the main screen.
The Diplomacy screen change doesn't bother me as long as all info is still visible.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 46
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 2:37:43 PM   
Mad Igor

well...i'm one of those who want old font.
we were happy as it was. so it's logical that we didn't bark,cuz we were happy.
those who were butthurt over fonts shout.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 47
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 2:41:38 PM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

Yeah, I really think that pretending that anyone who could possibly prefer the new fonts over the old ones need size 40 letters to read stuff on the forum. That's just bollocks and you know it.

I actually supported those who wanted bigger fonts even though the original font was fine for me. I recognize that the fonts were quite small. I wasn't expecting to request an 'option' only to be slammed by you for 'slinging' what I was 'receiving'.

I'm sure you'll get over it soon enough.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 48
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 3:01:25 PM   
Spidey

quote:

I wasn't expecting to request an 'option' only to be slammed by you for 'slinging' what I was 'receiving'.

You made a really bad joke and didn't expect to get called on it? You think it's bad conduct worthy of a snarky reply if some other user is arrogant towards you but that it's totally fine for you to be just as arrogant towards other people in your reply to him? Come on.

By the way, as I've already written previously, I wouldn't mind the font change being optional at all (options are always nice to have) but seeing people damn near aggro over a few style points less in the UI and a lost line on the news ticker in a beta patch when the other end of the eyesight spectrum has suffered strained eyes from day one some four years ago? No, I really didn't expect that. And I'm a bit disappointed too, truth be told.

Post #: 49
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 3:06:05 PM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

quote:

I wasn't expecting to request an 'option' only to be slammed by you for 'slinging' what I was 'receiving'.

You made a really bad joke and didn't expect to get called on it? You think it's bad conduct worthy of a snarky reply if some other user is arrogant towards you but that it's totally fine for you to be just as arrogant towards other people in your reply to him? Come on.

Oh no, I completely expected it. Now that you have done so, feel free to drop it at any time. Or, you know, continue being off-topic. I don't care but others may. The choice is yours.

< Message edited by mr_flappypants -- 5/29/2014 4:07:02 PM >

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 50
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 3:29:02 PM   
AntoneT

The new font is certainly more readable to me, but now many messages do not fit in the message box at the top of my screen. Longer ones are cut off. I think I would choose to stick with the new font, but to have the message flow down to the next line if it doesn't fit the box.

I'm certainly all for an option to to select new vs. old font if it's doable. There are certainly lots of different players with lots of different equipment to try and keep happy!

Post #: 51
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 3:38:13 PM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbuman@gmail.com

The new font is certainly more readable to me, but now many messages do not fit in the message box at the top of my screen. Longer ones are cut off. I think I would choose to stick with the new font, but to have the message flow down to the next line if it doesn't fit the box.

I'm certainly all for an option to to select new vs. old font if it's doable. There are certainly lots of different players with lots of different equipment to try and keep happy!

Better say 'please'. Someone might get mad if you don't.

(in reply to AntoneT)
Post #: 52
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 4:37:17 PM   
Spidey

quote:

Didn't someone speak of being off topic?

Post #: 53
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 4:38:10 PM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

quote:

Didn't someone speak of being off topic?

Did you actually want to discuss this or was this just sarcasm at the expense of being off-topic?

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 54
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 4:44:16 PM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morelyn

Add another vote for the _option_ to retain the old text size, but it's not a huge deal for me.

Seconded.

(in reply to Morelyn)
Post #: 55
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 5:13:04 PM   
Mansen

The larger font looks nice - But could we have a larger message box to fit the same number lines too? I kind of want the best of both worlds. :)

Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 56
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/29/2014 5:19:25 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

Speaking as someone who has been moaning about the readability of the text ever since I bought this game, I do see why people who had no problems with the font might have preferred the old system, particularly with regard to the message box, where the number of messages displayed is lower. Personally, I'd rather have the readability, but I see the point.

Just to be clear, for those who are making this point, presumably your main gripe is with the message area, rather than any of the other areas?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wizaerd

Any screenshot comparisons of the box in the left hand side of the screen?

I didn't notice any change to the left hand side: the menu down the left hand side is still a bit difficult, for me at least, but I appreciate the efforts that have been made in other areas. Also, I didn't bother trying to show the bottom left box, since this was in effect fixed by the 'enlarge' button.

Osito

100% correct, my main issue is the message box...to me, its so large now it looks clunky. Everywhere is is not so much of a problem. And in all honesty, the larger font in the diplomacy screen is a vast improvement.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 57
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 6/1/2015 6:50:44 PM   
Vampirnata

Hello!

Would it not be possible to just make the font and it's size moddable? There are many free fonts available on the internet and this would certainly help a lot of people. Those who have problems with the font being too small could use a large readable font and those who prefer tiny fonts could use that. I also find that the color of the text leads to problems reading, so making the color also moddable would help there.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 58
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/15/2018 6:16:57 PM   
Briman44

I know this is an old thread and an old game. But I really would like to play it. On an 4k screen it is impossible to see. I have even tried to blow up my desktop res, but to no avail. It should be scalable at the very least. Font type is only personal preference, but seeing the game is necessary. I payed top dollar for this and even after letting it set for 6 months, nothing has been done. Very disappointed

Post #: 59
RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 - 5/15/2018 9:50:48 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Briman44 unfortunately this game is feature locked its so old. Hell 1080p screens were a fantasy when it was first released and 4k is right out the window as even a possibility. It's possible someone in the modding section could help you.

(in reply to Briman44)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Screenshot comparison 1.9.5.0 vs 1.9.5.1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI