Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cashflow

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Cashflow Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cashflow - 5/30/2014 12:08:13 AM   
NewZodiac

This is constantly in the red during the start of my games. In order to keep up with my technology, and the growth of other empires, my cashflow gets worse and worse.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to increase cashflow besides making colonies and having an absurd amount of population?
Post #: 1
RE: Cashflow - 5/30/2014 12:16:05 AM   
pycco

you are expanding to fast building to much to soon, let your HW population grow before taxing them so much. it takes time but a stable empire is based on taxing large population and the population wont grow very fast with high taxes. try 15-25% at the beginning the lower the % the higher the population will grow. also you could sell techs, maps stations in disputed space for extra $$.

< Message edited by pycco -- 5/30/2014 1:17:15 AM >

(in reply to NewZodiac)
Post #: 2
RE: Cashflow - 5/30/2014 12:20:38 AM   
NewZodiac

Money isn't the problem. I can usually stay out of the red for my money, but my cashflow is always red.

I've lowered the tax to 15%, any higher and the colony's happiness goes down. Cashflow is still in the red. Building more ships and more stations would make it worse. Do I really just have to sit and wait for the population to go up?

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 3
RE: Cashflow - 5/30/2014 12:27:23 AM   
pycco

quote:

ORIGINAL: NewZodiac

Money isn't the problem. I can usually stay out of the red for my money, but my cashflow is always red.

I've lowered the tax to 15%, any higher and the colony's happiness goes down. Cashflow is still in the red. Building more ships and more stations would make it worse. Do I really just have to sit and wait for the population to go up?

yes, or edited it the editor, play a more advanced empire to start. only way i have found sorry. this is why i like longer research times myself.

imo there should be option when starting a game that put's all HW at 75% population to speed up the early game.

< Message edited by pycco -- 5/30/2014 2:03:44 AM >

(in reply to NewZodiac)
Post #: 4
RE: Cashflow - 5/30/2014 2:05:04 AM   
NewZodiac

Alright. I actually made a new game and increased the research time. It really helped, I haven't been in the red all game. Not sure why it helped, but it did :)

I have an unrelated question...: if a scientist doesn't have a bonus to Weapons, but I put him in a Weapons research lab, will I get a boost to Weapons tech or not? What I mean is, scientists can't be assigned to ANY tech research, only the ones they have a bonus with?

And how many scientists should be in each research station/spaceport?

< Message edited by NewZodiac -- 5/30/2014 3:07:05 AM >

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 5
RE: Cashflow - 5/30/2014 2:46:55 AM   
pycco

no they only give bonus to what they say they do, they scale down with the same bonus i believe by 50%. i would put them all on HW SP safer there

(in reply to NewZodiac)
Post #: 6
RE: Cashflow - 5/30/2014 9:34:55 AM   
Kantay

The "expert" way to handle taxes and population seems to be to alternate between having 0% tax (and thus maximum growth) when you have money, with max taxes (so you have only +1 to +3 happiness) when you need money.
In the end you end up with much higher population than if you went with say 20% taxes.

Also, putting a medical and recreational center to a base/spaceport above a colony gives it a significant happiness boost (meaning more tax or more growth).

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 7
RE: Cashflow - 5/30/2014 4:38:29 PM   
pycco

yup, i have found that at 4% or lower is optimal for pop vs $.

< Message edited by pycco -- 5/30/2014 5:38:48 PM >

(in reply to Kantay)
Post #: 8
RE: Cashflow - 5/30/2014 4:57:05 PM   
Werewolf13

quote:

This is constantly in the red during the start of my games. In order to keep up with my technology, and the growth of other empires, my cashflow gets worse and worse.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to increase cashflow besides making colonies and having an absurd amount of population?

I'm new to DW just like you so take this post with a grain of salt.

Normally in 4X games I too have trouble with acquiring enough money to do stuff.

NOT in DW...

1st thing I do in a new start is lower the tax rate to something reasonable like 18% or so. Don't know how taxes are modeled in DW but in real life lowering taxes increases tax revenue in the long run and only decreases it in the short run. Seems to work that way in DW. I suspect it may have something to do with population happiness. Doesn't really take long before cash flow starts creeping up. In a year or so with but a single colony I've seen generated cash flow as high as 60K plus.

I play on normal difficulty, 10X10 sector, 400 stars, 8 or so alien races, monsters set to low, indi aliens set to on, distant and weak pirates and automation set to suggest everything.

I'm still in learning mode so round about year 3 or 4 I've learned what I set out to learn and move on to the next game. Usually have more money by then than I know what to do with.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to NewZodiac)
Post #: 9
RE: Cashflow - 5/30/2014 5:03:45 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

Raise the development level (dev lvl * pop = much wonga) might be a bit more to that equation but I am sure someone will shout if there is.

Get the upgrades for commerce center, maintenance level and troop logistics.

Keep the private sector busy so they purchase ship builds.

Get the wonder for the trade center.

Darkspire

(in reply to NewZodiac)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Cashflow Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI