Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies ....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/30/2014 10:25:03 PM   
Gregorovitch55

Having conquered the Kundahar Nation's home world I find my self with about six and a half billion angry Dhuyat, and they don't like me anyway as I'm human. Giant psychopathic spiders do not seem like ideal citizens to me especially as this world has some famous rings crying out for a tourist industry. One feels inclined towards the extermination option in this case, although it goes against the grain of my cosmopolitan instincts and diversity policies.

On the other hand it did occur to me that a few regiments of these jokers might be handy in a tight spot.

However I have no idea how the game handles this sort of thing, happen this is the first dominant race I've had the pleasure of defeating.

Is extermination an option? In which case how does one do it quickly and where would a replacement human population come from?

Is it advisable to exterminate in general on defeating an empire, and in particular a race of horrors such as these?

And if a I don't or can't exterminate them, what do I need to do to manage such a population?

Would such beasts make good soldiers for me, or is that just my imagination running away from me?
Post #: 1
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/30/2014 10:45:44 PM   
Shark7

You have a few other options:

1. Resettle (in this case set all your other planets to "Do Not Accept" and this one to resettle the non-family races and they'll be hauled to some one that will take them. In other words you accomplish 2 things: 1. Get rid of them 2. Make them some one else's problem.

2. Enslave: This of course leaves them in place but they won't gain in population. You could also utilize the 'Penal Colony' policy to have them shipped off to a different planet in your own empire. Not my preferred method.

3. You can assimilate them over time, and they will make troops for you. It will take a while, and you will likely have to put down a rebellion or two. That means keeping a large garrison on the planet.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Gregorovitch55)
Post #: 2
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 12:56:30 AM   
MoloMowChow

With resettle, I've noticed that once populations reach 1 mil, that number stays there. It seems resettle won't completely drain an entire population and leaves at least a million on the planet.

Is there a way to drain the rest off the planet?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 1:39:23 AM   
Spidey

In my experience, any of the bug races aside from the Gizureans make for excellent troop recruitment colonies. I usually just assimilate regardless of who I am and let them grow on zero taxes. As long as you keep the colony happiness on smiley face levels, there really shouldn't be any rebelion problems either.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 1:48:12 AM   
pycco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidey
As long as you keep the colony happiness on smiley face levels

LMAO, love the word choice there Spidey

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 5
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 3:21:03 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MoloMowChow

With resettle, I've noticed that once populations reach 1 mil, that number stays there. It seems resettle won't completely drain an entire population and leaves at least a million on the planet.

Is there a way to drain the rest off the planet?

Exterminate.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to MoloMowChow)
Post #: 6
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 9:36:15 AM   
Gregorovitch55

quote:

In my experience, any of the bug races aside from the Gizureans make for excellent troop recruitment colonies. I usually just assimilate regardless of who I am and let them grow on zero taxes. As long as you keep the colony happiness on smiley face levels, there really shouldn't be any rebelion problems either.

Well they are already happy on 0% tax and they have a -29 recently conquered nerf which I assume will fade away with time. I rather like this idea. Come to think of it maybe the tourists coming for the rings will get into guided tours of the monster spider's training camps. "OOooh"

Is there a way to compare the relative strengths of these troops against my standard human ones?

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 7
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 10:34:41 AM   
Ralzakark

Their absoulte strength will depend on where you are with the ground combat technologies. but if you recruit one of each race you will be able to see the relative strengths. From memory the Big Spiders are quite effective. They are also native to desert planets and so will get a bonus/penalty depending on where they are fighting.

They will get happier being in your empire over time.

Post #: 8
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 11:00:27 AM   
Spidey

You can build a troop and compare them with your regular troops or you can check the race files in your DWU folder and find the value "TroopStrength". The way it works is that troop strength * 100 = initial infantry attack and defense strength before techs. Armored unitts have Att * 2 but also take up twice the size and have twice the upkeep. I've compiled a table of these values for Shadows and I'm fairly sure it's unchanged in Universe.

Shakturi	164
Mortalen	138
Boskara		134
Ikkuro		132
Sluken		130
Naxxilian	129
Kiadian		128
Dhayut		126
Haakonish	124
Human		121
Zenox		104
Quameno		95
Gizurean	92
Ackdarian	88
Mechanoid	85
Wekkarus	84
Shandar		81
Securan		76
Ugnari		72
Ketarov		72
Atuuk		68
Teekan		65

As you can see, the jump from humans to spiders isn't that big. Your normal infantry started out at 12100 att / def and the Dhayut infantry starts out at 12600 att / def. Emeros crystal adds +5 strength, meaning +500 att / def, to your infantry and osalia does the same for the spiders.

Still, even if they don't benefit you that much as warriors, they're not really a bad bunch. The anger over being conquered will fade fairly quickly and then they'll simply be regular citizens that go about their business. Okay, they'll be extremely ugly citizens with no conscience and some rather serious anger management issues, but that's really more of an issue for civilian law enforcement and not something you have to worry about.

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 9
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 11:28:19 AM   
Osito

Do not listen to Spidey. Of course he's going to recommend you keep the things. I repeat, do not listen to Spidey: he's on their side.

Time to reach for a spaceship-sized canister of 'Die Bug! Die!' imo.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 10
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 11:39:24 AM   
Spidey

That is a hugely racist attitude, Osito, and totally misguided too. The Dhayuts are nice enough citizens, if a bit misguided at times. Surely it would be much better to keep them around. I mean, they're not Atuuks, after all.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 11
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 12:45:03 PM   
Osito

quote:

I mean, they're not Atuuks, after all.

Yeah, but I'm not scared of Atuuks.

Did you just add that avatar, or have I missed it previously?

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 12
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 1:47:42 PM   
Gregorovitch55

quote:

That is a hugely racist attitude, Osito, and totally misguided too. The Dhayuts are nice enough citizens, if a bit misguided at times. Surely it would be much better to keep them around. I mean, they're not Atuuks, after all.

Yes, but you would say that, wouldn't you

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 13
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 2:28:40 PM   
Gregorovitch55

quote:

Dhayut		126
Human		121

As you can see, the jump from humans to spiders isn't that big. Your normal infantry started out at 12100 att / def and the Dhayut infantry starts out at 12600 att / def. Emeros crystal adds +5 strength, meaning +500 att / def, to your infantry and osalia does the same for the spiders.

Hmm, these Dhayut seem a tad underpowered to me. I mean if you put a spider and a human of roughly equal mass in the ring my money would be on the spider, no question. The only real issue to my mind is whether the human could run fast enough, and that seems highly unlikely.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 14
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 2:43:38 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregorovitch55

quote:

Dhayut		126
Human		121

Hmm, these Dhayut seem a tad underpowered to me. I mean if you put a spider and a human of roughly equal mass in the ring my money would be on the spider, no question. The only real issue to my mind is whether the human could run fast enough, and that seems highly unlikely.

Have you taken into account the reduced mass of the human after he's finished sh***ing himself?

Post #: 15
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 3:20:35 PM   
Spidey

@ Gregorovitch
I'm pretty sure the human trooper might be bringing a fairly big gun, which would even the odds quite a bit. I mean, it's what humans do, isn't it? We suck fysically but we compensate with better tools. A human-sized spider would murder a human ten ways to sunday in an unarmed hand-to-leg fight but then there's absolutely no reason why a human would fight that way in the first place unless said human really wanted to become a snack.

In a more realistic conflict, I'm guessing an automatic magazine-fed shotgun would work wonders against big spiders with massive heads. Flamethrowers and shrapnel grenades might not be entirely useless either. And let's not get carried away by the thought of innocent little eight-leggers getting pounded by .50 cal or HEI rounds, please.

@ Osito
I'm slightly arachnophobic, as it happens, but I'm actually more scared of semi-suicidal gremlings that reproduce like rabbits and have an inflated ego and zero understanding of their own limitations than of intelligent spiders with anger management issues. The spiders are intelligent and can be reasoned with while the Atuuks are dumber, angrier Ewoks with immense reproduction to make up for their lacking cute-factor.

And about the avatar, I don't usually care to dig one up, but I felt it was a good fit, all things considered.

Post #: 16
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 4:06:08 PM   
Gregorovitch55

quote:

@ Gregorovitch
I'm pretty sure the human trooper might be bringing a fairly big gun, which would even the odds quite a bit. I mean, it's what humans do, isn't it? We suck fysically but we compensate with better tools. A human-sized spider would murder a human ten ways to sunday in an unarmed hand-to-leg fight but then there's absolutely no reason why a human would fight that way in the first place unless said human really wanted to become a snack.

In a more realistic conflict, I'm guessing an automatic magazine-fed shotgun would work wonders against big spiders with massive heads. Flamethrowers and shrapnel grenades might not be entirely useless either. And let's not get carried away by the thought of innocent little eight-leggers getting pounded by .50 cal or HEI rounds, please.

True, but then if a spider can build a star ship one would assume it could also build a gun. I will allow that with both sides armed it would even things up a bit, but I still see the spider having the upper hand:

1. Eight locomotion limbs make it much faster. Mandibles can handle weaponry.
2. Although a spider of that mass couldn't walk across a ceiling, it could undoubtedly climb vertical and even overhanging walls easily and quickly.
3. It also benefits from integral abseiling gear of arbitrary length which is also capable of fashioning dangerous traps.

I would argue these attributes would assist the spider in evading the human's ranged offensive capability and getting up close and personal at which point, I suggest, it would be game over.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 17
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 5:02:34 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Ahem....

Well...

I just bring an industrial sized can of RAID when I show up in a bug system. And especially spiders...I have a severe case of arachnophobia.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 18
RE: 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... - 5/31/2014 5:04:15 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregorovitch55

quote:

@ Gregorovitch

True, but then if a spider can build a star ship one would assume it could also build a gun. I will allow that with both sides armed it would even things up a bit, but I still see the spider having the upper hand:

1. Eight locomotion limbs make it much faster. Mandibles can handle weaponry.
2. Although a spider of that mass couldn't walk across a ceiling, it could undoubtedly climb vertical and even overhanging walls easily and quickly.
3. It also benefits from integral abseiling gear of arbitrary length which is also capable of fashioning dangerous traps.

I would argue these attributes would assist the spider in evading the human's ranged offensive capability and getting up close and personal at which point, I suggest, it would be game over.

Just move the Death Star into the system. Only way to be sure.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> 6Bn Giant Spiders with Psychopathic Tendencies .... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI