Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scientist Drought

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Scientist Drought Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scientist Drought - 5/30/2014 5:02:02 AM   
MoloMowChow

This pre-warp game I'm currently playing as Humans, I've only obtained one scientist from when my first space port was built.

I'm a good couple (real life) days in this game now, and I have not gotten one new scientist since the beginning of the game, which is really hampering my research.

Is there a reason I'm not getting scientists? I'm getting other character regularly enough, like spies or ship captains.
Post #: 1
RE: Scientist Drought - 5/30/2014 5:40:24 AM   
Bingeling

Characters are random, and the chance of various types appearing can be different for different races. You have many ships, it is logical that you find more ship captains than ambassadors or scientists.

Humans are "more likely" to get scientists, according to the manual (and game files).

(in reply to MoloMowChow)
Post #: 2
RE: Scientist Drought - 5/30/2014 5:44:01 AM   
MoloMowChow

Yeah, it's just the first time playing this game that I've had a drought like this. Usually when I play humans I get 2 or 3 more scientists within my first dozen years or so. I guess I should try building more research stations but from my understanding they're useless unless a scientist occupies it. I still have that once (customized) research station in my home system on a research bonus providing planet, that I've rebuilt a couple times already.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Scientist Drought - 5/30/2014 6:01:36 AM   
Jim D Burns

I may not be correct, but I think you are hurting yourself by only building one customized base. I always build 6 default bases (2 of each type) around my home planet and usually have 2 scientists within the first 5 or 10 years of the game. After I build the science academy I might get a 3rd, but 3 is pretty rare.

So it might have something to do with the number of individual research bases you have in your empire and only having the one is hurting your die rolls. Just a guess, but makes sense in this situation I think.

Jim

Post #: 4
RE: Scientist Drought - 5/30/2014 7:01:35 AM   
MoloMowChow

I did the same setup in a separate game and got 3 scientists early.

What I do at the start of a pre-warp game is redesign the small star port to carry 5 of each type of LAB, so I don't have to stack separate research stations on my home planet with the star port. I think it also allows scientists with multiple bonuses to boost more than 1 category, and keeps my scientist safer since research stations seem easy for pirate spies to blow up later. I then delete the energy and weapons research station designs, and redesign the high tech energy stations to include 2 of each research LAB instead making a sort of "universal" research station design. This also allows scientists with multiple bonuses to benefit.

I did this in one game and received about 3 scientists by the time I geared up for gerax hyperdrives. I built the edited small space port on my home planet, got one scientist and then another later. I then built my "universal" research station on a gas planet that gave a research bonus and got the event message saying i built my first research station, and got a free scientist there.

Now with the game where i have a scientist drought, I did the exact same thing. I built the redesigned space port and got a scientist shortly after. But once I build the universal research station no event message popped up for a free scientist as usual. Since then i have not received a single scientist.

I don't know how scientist rolls work, but the only difference between these two scenarios is that for the one with the drought, I decided not to delete the weapons and energy station designs and kept them around instead, for reference. Perhaps I should just build more stuff with research LABs to trigger a response.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 5
RE: Scientist Drought - 5/30/2014 7:13:03 AM   
Jim D Burns

You're far enough along I'd recommend you wait until you have the research academy. It helps die rolls for new scientists appearing, so if each new base is a roll you'd want that academy first before you build.

Jim

Post #: 6
RE: Scientist Drought - 5/31/2014 12:59:51 AM   
MoloMowChow

Another (real life) day of playing. I've built about 4 or so research academies. After a few dozen more years I still only have 1 scientist.

This is a bit too long for bad luck. Maybe my save is bugged?

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 7
RE: Scientist Drought - 5/31/2014 3:18:14 AM   
tjhkkr

You can increase the probability of a scientist by changing your race/character/policy files.

The best way to ensure a character is to have a number of them in your character files, and then have a high probability of getting a scientist in the race files...

Now make sure that you do not replace the basic files with the games, but start your own mod

But in the race files look for this:
CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceLeader ;1.2
CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceAmbassador ;1.3
CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceGovernor ;0.8
CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceAdmiral ;0.7
CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceGeneral ;0.7
CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceScientist ;3.0
CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceIntelligenceAgent ;1.0
CharacterRandomAppearanceChancePirateLeader ;1.0
CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceShipCaptain ;1.0

Check your modding manual so that you can get the proper range of values...
But make sure you do not modify the original files that came with DW... build your own mod.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Scientist Drought Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI