Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Age of Shadows vs. Custom game questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Age of Shadows vs. Custom game questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Age of Shadows vs. Custom game questions - 6/1/2014 3:24:44 PM   
MikeSF

Ok first where has this game been? Different versions of it and I just NOW hear about this? Holy cow this game is up there with some of the greats as far as addictiveness to it. Ok adoration out of the way.

So went through the tutorial... and pop up screen at the beginning tells me playing Standard game in Age of Shadows is where new players should go.

So I've played a few, games and all of them kind of stalled out in frustration. 1) Pirates are kicking my butt all over the place (even after I get warp technology and a few levels of tech) and 2) Money seems hard to come by. Now I know the setup is "pirates are kings of the galaxy" so yeah I expect them to be quite annoying and a thorn in my side, but I get some tech, and I finally can stand toe to toe with pirates but I can't get many ships due to the money issue. I don't even want to go into how easy it is for a pirate vessel to warp into my homeworld system and attack one of my mining bases destroying it outright with maybe a single frigate, and do so before my defense can come to their aide, yeah they warp towards them but he manages to destroy the mining station quicker than they can get into firing range and yeah sure I usually do end up killing the pirate ship that did the damage but the damage was already done. I tried expansion, and that didn't seem to help with income either as my forces were spread way too thin for them to be very effective. Every step forward gets me knocked 2 steps back when pirates basically undo everything I just did. And yeah I played with giving into them and paying them tribute for "protection" (which drains my funds that much more) and I played with ignoring them outright (when I had sufficient tech and ships to fight off an invasion at my homeworld).

Question is, is there a fool proof way to make money easily so I can support larger fleets?

Now custom game, I setup, prewarp, normal pirates, easy (just like I did with age of shadows game), and it seems that I have zero problem making money, in fact I'm making so much money my advisors keep telling me to build more ships every few moments in the game, and I do have to hold back because resources become the limiting factor not money. However this game is relatively easy and I can destroy all pirates and other empires as I see fit with sheer volume of ships.

Question for here is, what options do I need to check in making a custom game to make it like the Age of Shadows game? I feel learning basic mechanics is good without worry of money, but ultimately it's going to cripple me because I get too reliant on that money being so readily available and I'd like to slowly make the custom game closer to the Age of Shadows game to gradually get better.

I figure that the Age of Shadows game has many more pirate factions than the custom game of "normal" pirate levels/factions. However still trying to figure out why income into my colonies is so much higher and don't see any options that really change that, is it simply a matter of less pirates = more private trade vessels bringing goods hence tax revenue?

< Message edited by MikeSF -- 6/1/2014 4:25:44 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Age of Shadows vs. Custom game questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI