Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Enemy At The Gates movie review?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Enemy At The Gates movie review? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Enemy At The Gates movie review? - 3/18/2001 7:55:00 AM   
Latka

I was thinking of seeing it tonight after work, girlfriend permitting. If I can't see it tonight I'll catch it tomorrow before work :) -Andy

Post #: 1
- 3/18/2001 8:20:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by Latka: I was thinking of seeing it tonight after work, girlfriend permitting. If I can't see it tonight I'll catch it tomorrow before work :) -Andy
I rather liked it; not quite as intense as Saving Private Ryan, but well worth seeing.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 2
- 3/18/2001 8:34:00 AM   
Drake

Liked it a lot more then Saving Private Ryan, witch I did not much like at all. It has some of the most realistic combat sceens I have seen in a war picture and worth seening just for that. The romance part of the movie took away from it a lot and made it so at some points you are like come on and get back to the good stuff already. The story and acting did not rank with Das boot(the best ever war picture ever in my book). But the special effects and combat sceens make up for a lot of its short falls. They also did a really good job on the equipment and I did not seen to many mistakes. I think one of the biggest was in one sceen were I seen a destroyed T-34/85 tank.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 3
- 3/18/2001 9:05:00 AM   
Maximus

Well seeing this movie made me want to run out of the theater, grab that proverbial hammer and sickle, and bash my brains out and then cut my head off. War scenes, ok, but the "realistic" muzzle blast coming from the Pz III's left a lot to be desired. First part of the movie was fine, but as this tale meandered through the quagmire of the French Communist Director's version of historical events and left a very bad taste in my mouth. Went in expecting it to be a la Private Ryan, left thinking Hogan's Heroes. I know this is harsh but I am really disappointed. Just think about it, the Germans are killing all your freinds and family, but I still got time to hook up with an English accented momma and get my groove on. PUUUULEASE. All hype, no heart. :mad: :eek:

"Protection from what Tommy....Ze Germans?"

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 4
- 3/18/2001 9:46:00 AM   
Billy Yank

Just saw it today. My wife and I both liked it, and she's not a big war movie fan. Just tell yourself that the romance is there for your SO, and it becomes a lot more palateable. It's more of an action movie than a war movie, and the climactic confrontation was a bit too Hollywood for my taste, but overall, it was a great way to spend a Saturday matinee. "The one with the rifle shoots! The one without the rifle follows him....."

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 5
- 3/18/2001 10:13:00 AM   
Panzer Capta

Saw it this afternoon. Not quite what i expected, but i thoroughly enjoyed it, and highly recommend it. The Stuka sequence was my favourite.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 6
- 3/18/2001 1:10:00 PM   
David Heath

I saw it tonight and I like it... it was not the best war picture I seem but was good. I agree with Panzer Captain the Stuka attack was one of the best screens in the picture. One bit of warning.... if you think this is just like the book War of the Rats you will not at all be happy. If you go to it with the mind its a new story you will enjoy it. If you have any interest in this battle make sure to read David Robbins War of the Rats its great.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 7
- 3/18/2001 1:59:00 PM   
Blackhorse

I also recommend the movie. There's a lot of little things to nitpick (A German major gets a private train car for a ride into Stalingrad? He goes on sniping missions wearing his medals?) but overall, very moving and very effective. The romance stuff is definitely in there for the Significant Others. My wife went with me [she owed me -- I went with her to see 'The Mexican', yuck] and this was the first war movie she actually enjoyed. "The Enemy at the Gates": A war movie even your girlfriend will love.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 8
- 3/18/2001 2:03:00 PM   
degen

I also saw it today. As for action, it was no Saving Private Ryan. The beginning started great with the river crossing and the stuka attack, but would have enjoyed it more if the efforts of Vassili (sp?) would have been built up more. We see him pick off five guys and next thing you know the movie is talking about him killing 50+ german officers. I liked how it portrayed the destruction of Stalingrad. The rubble and mass destruction of the buildings was well done. The scenes with dead bodies lying all about also showed what a meat grinder the battle was. I could have done without the love story, but I guess that's how Hollywood sells tickets. Overall, a good movie and it's about time Hollywood paid attention to the east front. I can't think of another major, US film about the east front; anybody else recall some?

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 9
- 3/18/2001 9:00:00 PM   
Bob Wallace

Guys, Guys, Guys, For all of us that painfully endured the love scenaes wishing that this was a pure"war" movie, look on the bright side... at least they didn't go 100% Hollywood and make it between two dudes ;) She was at least easy on the eyes. Bob

"That which does not kill me usually leaves me wishing I was dead!"

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 10
- 3/18/2001 9:44:00 PM   
lynchc

Oh Bob that may be the most dead on comment in this entire post. If hollywood makes a movie it will include some crap we could do without, thank God current trends did not dictate an examination of homosexual Russian soldiers during WWII. :eek: I have not seen the movie yet but will soon, sounds at least entertaining.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 11
- 3/18/2001 10:19:00 PM   
Don Doom

From the sounds of it I will wait till it comes out on tape. :rolleyes:

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 12
- 3/19/2001 4:14:00 AM   
David Heath

Don Go see it in the movies... it is worth it. The movie as good. You should enjoy it. IF you remember Midway also had a love story built into it... but it didn't take away from the movie at all...It just gave you a few minutes to brush away crumbs from you shirt.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 13
- 3/19/2001 6:48:00 AM   
bud

it was a nice sunday afternoon movie--don`t think i would see it again--i wouldn`t tell anyone not to see it--the person next to me started to snore a couple of times--but i would like to point out the the lad`s doing the OOB`S for v5.0 and that i played in the east 43 league--(has a russian)-- a while back that the russian`s should have t34/85`s in late 42 and early 43--as per the this historic and above question movie --yeah right :eek: :D :rolleyes:

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 14
- 3/19/2001 7:19:00 AM   
Figmo

WOW!!! I just got back from seeing it and loved it. Of course, I didn't go to see a sniper movie expecting repeated massive assaults. I will definately buy it when it comes out on video and TRY to get my wife to watch it with me - not likely!! One good and one bad thing IMO - that won't take away from the movie. The good - they emphasized the need for heros to give people hope - I thought that was great because the US even went as far as to bring them back and make sure they survived before making them heros. The Germans learned about this much earlier than most - isn't that what the Blue Max was mostly about - and that goes back to WW1! The bad - most of the Russians had a British accent - they could have done some work on that but it didn't take away from the movie too much. :D Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 15
- 3/19/2001 8:46:00 AM   
Daniel Oskar

I saw it this afternoon, and it wasn't bad. The story was pretty disjointed, and in general didn't really represent the battle. Special effects were impressive in several scenes. The freedom of movement enjoyed by snipers from both sides was a litle bit of a stretch, considering the density of forces in the city. Overall, it was good entertainment but not much in the way of real history.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 16
- 3/19/2001 9:48:00 AM   
Ed Monroe

I agree; ememy at the gates is a fine action movie. Even the romantic subplot was ok - it wouldn't have been much of a distraction except that it took forever when they had to have the obligitatory hollywood sex scene. Totally unnecessary for the flow of the movie and it detracted from the plot. Too bad. I would have purchased the movie when it came out in DVD but now I guess I will pass it up. Too bad hollywood had to ruin an ok war/action movie. :(

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 17
- 3/19/2001 9:51:00 AM   
BruceAZ

Well Wild Bill, you were right! It was an outstanding movie and even my wife liked it! (Musta been the love story...) I wonder if the distribution rights have already been sold to Russia?

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 18
- 3/19/2001 5:55:00 PM   
Nemesis

EATG premiers this week in Finland, and I was going to see it right away, but my girlfriend has other plans :(. So I have to wait for few days. I was thinking about taking her with me, but I guess she wouldn't like it. OTOH she IS taking me to see "Chocolat" (Yuck!). But I guess I owe her that much, since I took her to see "Unbreakable" (which she hated). Having a significant other is all about making compromises. If you don't know that already, you WILL know, sooner or later! Off-topic: It seems that quite alot of the non-finns here have seen the "Winter War". I didn't know it was this popular outside Finland (well, people here are war-enthusiasts, so....). What did you think about it?

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 19
- 3/19/2001 7:03:00 PM   
Dwayne Stone

Well, I hope this film come to my country as soon as possible. I'm realy looking for it.

Dwayne Stone

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 20
- 3/19/2001 7:53:00 PM   
Panzer Capta

quote:

Originally posted by Nemesis: EATG premiers this week in Finland, and I was going to see it right away, but my girlfriend has other plans :(. So I have to wait for few days. I was thinking about taking her with me, but I guess she wouldn't like it. OTOH she IS taking me to see "Chocolat" (Yuck!). But I guess I owe her that much, since I took her to see "Unbreakable" (which she hated). Having a significant other is all about making compromises. If you don't know that already, you WILL know, sooner or later! Off-topic: It seems that quite alot of the non-finns here have seen the "Winter War". I didn't know it was this popular outside Finland (well, people here are war-enthusiasts, so....). What did you think about it?
In my opinion, "Winter War" was undoubtedly one of the best, if not THE best, war movie i have ever seen!!

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 21
- 3/19/2001 9:37:00 PM   
Charles2222

Monrovich:
quote:

I would have purchased the movie when it came out in DVD but now I guess I will pass it up. Too bad hollywood had to ruin an ok war/action movie.
I agree, as I won't even see a movie when I know it resorts to the sex/nudity visuals, however brief it may be. At least SPR didn't have any of that lust-driven rubbish in it.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 22
- 3/19/2001 10:35:00 PM   
BlitzSS

Read William Craig's book and then conclude what Hollywood can with the subject. They touched on most of the highlights and yes love was in there, but the ending was not the same. How did everyone view the aerial bombardment scenes? Especially the Stukas diving on the ferries, somehow these scenes seemed too surreal. :eek:

"Nuts"

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 23
- 3/19/2001 10:46:00 PM   
David F. Wall

I enjoyed it very much, though people who are going to it looking for a widescreen historical depiction of the battle of Stalingrad are doomed to be disappointed. This is not a war movie in the vein of something like "The Big Red One." In fact, to be fair, the war is just a framing sequence. The movie is about those two guys, and as far as I'm concerned, what's been referred to as the love-story subplot is largely a visual device to help draw a crucial difference between Zaitsev and Koenig. Is it there for the masses? Sure it is. Nobody's gonna spend $85 million making a movie for anybody else. I thought Ed Harris was terrific, and while I must put forth that I speak from the perspective of a possibly unenlightened American, I think the German journalists who've been fulminating about how cruel and brutal the Major Koenig character read the press releases instead of seeing the movie. Or they didn't pay attention. Harris, in my opinion, ran away with the movie, and if Oscar nominations were up to me he'd get one for Best Supporting Actor.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Enemy At The Gates movie review? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI