Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant Worlds: Infinity Mod [CANCELED, SEE OP]

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Distant Worlds: Infinity Mod [CANCELED, SEE OP] Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant Worlds: Infinity Mod [CANCELED, SEE OP] - 6/1/2014 12:39:15 PM   
Unforeseen

Canceled. Blackstork has already done nearly everything that I personally wanted to see in DW. The rest I can add with just a couple of other mods. Not worth creating a different mod. Therefore I hereby endorse Blackstork's Beyond Project located here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3657646

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 2/3/2015 11:31:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/1/2014 2:02:19 PM   
drillerman

The way to slow down the game is to make research expensive. isn't it?

Huh?

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 2
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/1/2014 2:56:04 PM   
Hawkeye_BF

Yes thats true. I ever play with 990K costs for research! In this case you need more than 400 years to get all technologies. Its the best way to slow down the game.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 3
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/2/2014 6:30:11 PM   
Unforeseen

4OO years seems a bit long xD, seems like the game would end even on sandbox mode by then. I do tend to raise mine a bit, usually around 6OOish. Specifically with this mod I'm slowing down the rate of expansion.

(in reply to Hawkeye_BF)
Post #: 4
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/3/2014 7:29:51 AM   
Beastro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hawkeye_BF

Yes thats true. I ever play with 990K costs for research! In this case you need more than 400 years to get all technologies. Its the best way to slow down the game.

How do you go about doing this editing files?

(newbie here)

(in reply to Hawkeye_BF)
Post #: 5
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/3/2014 3:49:35 PM   
Unforeseen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beastro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hawkeye_BF

How do you go about doing this editing files?

(newbie here)

Raising the costs to research is a setting in the custom game creation screen.

(in reply to Beastro)
Post #: 6
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/4/2014 12:43:48 PM   
Unforeseen

I've decided to use Das's Chrome UI "Natural" for this mod. Thanks to Das for allowing use of his mod, as required your license is included in the theme directory. I "hope" to have the basics for this mod uploaded in a few days, there are a few mod's that aren't done yet that i'm interested in. As well as one that is restricted, and will have to be downloaded as a stand alone provided there is no change in permission. It however is not complete.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 7
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/6/2014 11:26:05 AM   
Unforeseen

[Problem Fixed] The planet issue has been solved. The first release of this mod will include only the basic compilation of mods so far included which will be listed in the main post at the time of release. Please please please if you have any suggestions for mods to add to this overhaul post them here!! Note that this up coming upload will NOT include any changes to expansion speeds. Those will come in a later optional update.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 6/7/2014 3:36:05 AM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 8
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/8/2014 12:52:50 AM   
Unforeseen

The first version of this mod, including the mods listed in the OP is now available for download! If requested I will upload a version including the blue version of Chrome UI instead of natural.

At this point there are several things i haven't modded that i know for sure that i want/plan to; these being the resources/components, the tech tree and the weapon graphics.

For resources i'm highly interested in the Realistic Resource Revamp by Uberknight72 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3615754, unfortunately there has been no update for almost a week and it may have been abandoned. I'm also paying close attention to Locarnus's balance mod http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3624576, it has encountered a road block and may not be completed for some time.

Weapon graphics are temporarily on hold, as i do not want to go through the trouble of changing all the weapon graphics if i'm just going to have to redo it again if/when the balance mod is released and i'm allowed to use it with Orange mod.. but for your convenience this is the mod i plan to use minus the two recolors i haven't had time to do yet. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3098682

When i initially announced the mod i mentioned that i would be making it slower, these changes will come in future releases. I'm waiting to see what happens with that balance mod. It may very well be a must have mod.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 6/8/2014 1:53:19 AM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 9
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/18/2014 4:46:54 PM   
Unforeseen

In the next few days i'm going to upload a version including a modified color/image scheme for the weapons. I can't release the actual theme that I am using however as the balance mod by locarnus is still restricted. All of the weapon images are taken directly from msnevil's weapon compilation mod[at the moment] http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3098682 located here if you want to go ahead and download it and change the weapons however you like. Although any future downloads of DWOM will overwrite your changes with mine.

I also recommend BlackAlpha's Music mod from here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3635721 as it now appears to be legal. "hopefully". Personally i use songs i bought from two steps from hell. http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/ but i am not currently seeking to upload them at this time.
Alternatively you can disable distant worlds music and listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyjJN68dajc which is a pretty darn good compilation of scifi oriented music.

Because there have been no requests for the blue version of this mod, which would include Das' Chrome UI Blue rather than Natural I do not currently have plans to do so at this time.

Thanks to those who have downloaded, making this project worthwhile.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 6/18/2014 5:50:52 PM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 10
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 6/18/2014 4:52:23 PM   
bugbear777

Thanks Unforeseen.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 11
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 6/18/2014 9:27:03 PM   
Unforeseen

Your welcome, I'm glad to you like :D.

(in reply to bugbear777)
Post #: 12
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 6/18/2014 11:23:29 PM   
vmxa_slith

Lol, I passed this by as the name gave me no information. Now that i see the name is an homage to Moo3 mods, I will be checking it out. I liked the Strawberry mod for Moo3.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 13
RE: [WIP] Orange Mod - 6/19/2014 2:18:45 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

4OO years seems a bit long xD, seems like the game would end even on sandbox mode by then. I do tend to raise mine a bit, usually around 6OOish. Specifically with this mod I'm slowing down the rate of expansion.

Not in a sandbox game.

I set my research costs to 999k and play in a sandbox with story events on. My games last for weeks.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 14
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 6/19/2014 3:06:07 AM   
Unforeseen

quote:

ORIGINAL: vmxa

Lol, I passed this by as the name gave me no information. Now that i see the name is an homage to Moo3 mods, I will be checking it out. I liked the Strawberry mod for Moo3.

Hope you like, all credit goes to the real modders around here though. :D

@Shark7 True, i'm going to playing with 999k myself when i get my setup all sorted out. Still considering if i want to lower colony ship construction speed.

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 15
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 6/20/2014 9:42:35 PM   
Buio

Great overhaul/compilation.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 16
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 6/23/2014 4:10:11 PM   
Unforeseen

Working on those weapon textures/images now that i'm back from my vacation. This is where things will get complicated though, as I'm going to be making modifications to components.txt. This means that future versions of any mod that makes changes to components.txt such as Haree's Extended and Locarnus' Balance mod(Still restricted and on hold] will be incompatible initially and I will have to go in and re add all of my changes to their file.

These changes are pretty basic, just associations for which weapon uses what texture. No one weapon will use the same texture as another, except "maybe" point defense weapons. I haven't decided what i want to use for those.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 6/23/2014 5:10:59 PM >

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 17
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/1/2014 11:36:36 PM   
Unforeseen

For those of you who are using this mod as a base theme i decided since it's taking me so long to put up an update that I'd make a list of what the next update is going to entail:

It was going to be Version 2.O with the addition of the tech balance mod, however it seems this wont be happening as planned. So we're looking at a 1.9 update.

What to expect: Updates for mods already included in DWOM, the weapon fx changes i've been hyping about for ages, total replacement of star names, Haree's pirate portraits, BlackAlpha's Music mod[this differs from the music i use but its a really good selection and i'm not a fan of the default music], and a few new ship families.

I am just waiting for Haree to update DW Extended and i'll begin working on this.

Some things i want to change in the future: HD Planets, rather than using the ones from GEM as this mod is currently doing. Icemania's AI mod if he makes an extended version. And of course the Tech balance mod.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 18
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/2/2014 2:34:42 AM   
Shogouki

Sounds wonderful!

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 19
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/2/2014 12:07:16 PM   
Unforeseen

I have also decided to upload the Blue Mod version with this update, which the only major change at this point will be that it uses the Blue Chrome UI rather than Natural. It's just a convenience for players who prefer it over Natural.

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 20
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/10/2014 7:14:22 PM   
Unforeseen

Just wanted to thank everyone for their patience with me lol. Updating this mod has been a slow process as I'm very busy IRL and haven't been playing DW at all lately. I do want to point out that 1.9 is basically done, just trying to get the orange/red weapon color right. It's coming out a bit too dark atm.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 21
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/13/2014 6:52:13 PM   
Unforeseen

Version 1.9 is now LIVE and both Orange and Blue version are now available. It does not include changes to weapons as I originally suggested due to time constraints. I just wanted to get this thing updated with the basics for now. I left the version as 1.9, but think of it as more of a 1.5 until the weapons update comes. Enjoy :D

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 22
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/14/2014 10:45:20 AM   
xepooqu80

Thank you for this!
I enjoyed this in the previous version and i am pretty sure it will be great with all the new updates.
I see you plan to merge this with Icemania's work.. can't wait :)

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 23
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/14/2014 12:27:25 PM   
Unforeseen

Your welcome glad you like it! If you have any feedback or suggestions about mods or changes you'd like to see in DWOM feel free to post them here.

(in reply to xepooqu80)
Post #: 24
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/14/2014 3:32:18 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Will be trying this asap. Many of the mods I like separately and having them all together can only be good right? Real life? What is this real life? MUST PLAY!

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 25
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/14/2014 9:35:55 PM   
BTAxis

Hi Unforeseen. I was going to try your compilation, but when switching this theme I am presented with an error about not being able to load DWU\images\effects\planetdestroy\ExplPlanet040054.png. This path exists and there's nothing wrong with the image.

I have a nasty suspicion that this might be a memory problem. DWU clocks up to about 2.4GB of memory before the error occurs, so maybe it's hitting a limit somewhere. If this is true, it may mean DWOM is too heavy.

Edit: I now believe I've encountered a bug in DWU's theme loading system. The above behavior only seems to occur if DWU is started with another nonstandard theme loaded. In my case I had Extended Universe loaded. The error doesn't appear if I first switch to the default theme, and in that case the game doesn't use so much RAM while loading DWOM either.

< Message edited by BTAxis -- 7/14/2014 10:46:36 PM >

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 26
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/14/2014 11:56:08 PM   
Unforeseen

Hmm I tried to recreate the problem and was unsuccessful if you haven't already (haven't checked yet) you may want to post this problem in tech support.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 27
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/15/2014 12:32:22 PM   
Unforeseen

Ok for those of you who are wondering what the weapon changes are all about...

Basically right now there are only a small number of images being used in the weapons folder for each weapon. Multiple weapons are using the same image, probably to minimize space usage. I don't see a maximum, and I've done basic testing to ensure it is possible to expand on this. So what I have decided to do is make every weapon in the game including star fighters use it's own unique image file. This makes it VERY EASY to change the FX for a specific weapon, without accidentally changing the FX for another weapon.

The reason this is taking so long is because doing so requires me to change both the components.txt and fighters.txt files. Which as it happens both Extended and Balance Mod use these. Between the time that's needed to make this change, and the uncertainty of what will happen with the Balance Mod I've been putting it off.

Naturally once this project is completed I will set a unique image for each weapon, although some may still use the same image it will be a different file and easily changeable. This will also include an Orange/Red[Star Trek Phaser Color] of Msnevil's Bolt and TrueBeam. I may do more in the future, and add colors. I just want to get this mod on track for now.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 28
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/16/2014 7:16:45 PM   
Pocus

Hello,

I was wondering why no one seems interested in having immersive ships names for the AIs races? For example the Shakturi uses list 13, which is a list of Asian cities, like Bangkok, Hanoi, Sumatra. Am I the only one feeling there is something lacking here?

When I get vacation, I'll probably generate my own list, but I'm curious why this part has never received any modding attention?

< Message edited by Pocus -- 7/16/2014 8:17:14 PM >

AGEOD Team

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 29
RE: [WIP]Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod "Orange"... - 7/16/2014 8:24:44 PM   
Blackstork

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

Hello,

I was wondering why no one seems interested in having immersive ships names for the AIs races? For example the Shakturi uses list 13, which is a list of Asian cities, like Bangkok, Hanoi, Sumatra. Am I the only one feeling there is something lacking here?

When I get vacation, I'll probably generate my own list, but I'm curious why this part has never received any modding attention?

I planning to do this here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3651979
at very detailed approach.
If you want to join and collaborate - lets do it together.
Atm i am busy with more immersive things than ship names :P
So ship names is next step after finishing immersion for each race, in case i will be alone, if i will not we can do it un the run.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Distant Worlds: Infinity Mod [CANCELED, SEE OP] Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI