Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

mining outside territory + random

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> mining outside territory + random Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
mining outside territory + random - 6/4/2014 10:39:28 PM   
dannyslag

just got this game a couple days ago and have put an embaressing amount of hours into it, sooooo good.

But i've got questions.

Can you not build bases outside your influence zone? I'm playing a game where I got kinda stuck in the rear end of the galaxy and not a single system in my influence zone has more than 1-2 rocky moons. I'm advancing to attack a race who is constantly attacking my main system, so I tried to build a gas station in a system between us that isn't in either of our influence zones so my attack fleet could refuel/base there. But the build option just doesn't show up when clicking on the gas planet.

second question. I found that as soon as I redesigned my mining bases to have 2 fighter bays and about 10 more covarien shields they could hold their own against pirate raids. Is there any reason I shouldn't be doing this? It seemed to be working really well.

Last question, for now...I've noticed all my construction ships are sitting idle on auto, but there's plenty of planets with resources even in my home system, why aren't they building on those? Is it because there's no reason to have more strategic resources than what I already have?
Post #: 1
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/4/2014 10:53:12 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

You should be able to build a mining station outside of your territory. I see no reason you couldn't, except for a lack of money. Try to select a construction ship and right-click on the gaz giant. The game "quick buttons" try to help you, but if you set an order manually, you can bypass most "helper" securities.

You can redesign your bases with more weapons and shields, they just get more expensive for your private sector and take more time and resources to build. Beware though, the IA might increase the power of its attacks as a result, so it might help, but sometimes not.

As for your idling construction ships, probably something like that...

< Message edited by OzoneGrif -- 6/4/2014 11:55:06 PM >

(in reply to dannyslag)
Post #: 2
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 12:03:07 AM   
Raap

Hmm, you're sure you haven't made your mining bases larger than what the constructor can currently build? I.e. the 'max size when not on colony' field? As for the gas giant, is it explored, i.e. the resources are visible?

(in reply to OzoneGrif_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 12:06:12 AM   
dannyslag

Thanks for responding guys.
I checked by taking that same construction ship and trying to build the same gas extractor station on a planet in my home system and it worked. but as soon as I right click on any plane in this unclaimed system the build option simply isn't there. Really strange. I'll check the size thing, but wouldn't that stop the same base from being built on uncolonized planets in my home system?

The planet is explored, i put resource scanners on all my construction ships to make my life easier.

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 4
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 12:19:12 AM   
Raap

Ye, if you can build in your own territory then it should work outside too. That is, if it works outside at all. It's so rare that I manually control my construction ships that I'm not entirely sure. I guess I've always just assumed that it works.

I checked it in my own game. I'm definitely able to build outside my territory, but it seems as if it follows the expansion slider. Mine's at 2 sectors, outside that I'm not getting an option to build despite not being in anyone else's territory either.

< Message edited by Raap -- 6/5/2014 1:26:05 AM >

(in reply to dannyslag)
Post #: 5
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 12:33:28 AM   
dannyslag

Thank you Raap for checking your game, really appreciate it. I didn't even know about the expansion slider. I'm going to have to check that.

BTW, this game is freaking brilliant good.

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 6
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 12:40:03 AM   
dannyslag

hrm, maybe i'm stupid but I can't find the expansion slider, which menu is it in?

(in reply to dannyslag)
Post #: 7
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 12:43:59 AM   
OzoneGrif_slith

It's a slider when you create your game, Colonisation limits. You can't change it once your game is started. (or maybe with the editor? I'm not sure)

It shouldn't affect mining though. I've seen construction ships build mines very far away from my systems, but they were automated.

Smells like a bug somewhere.

< Message edited by OzoneGrif -- 6/5/2014 1:45:23 AM >

(in reply to dannyslag)
Post #: 8
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 1:03:42 AM   
Raap

Hmm, it's a bit tricky, since if you haven't discovered the empire yet you won't see their territory limits, but the game will still act as if it's there, i.e. you'll be trying to build in someone else's territory which is illegal. It's possible that's what happened when I tried it.

Is there a colonizable planet in the system you're trying to build a mining station in? If so, press it and see if it says if it's in someone else's territory.

Post #: 9
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 1:09:37 AM   
Spacecadet

If it's within another Empire's Influence zone and you don't have a Mining Rights from them you won't be able to build a Mine.

This is what it sounds like to me.

Or, if you don't have eyes in the System you're trying to build it in - there may be another Empire's Mine there already.

< Message edited by Spacecadet -- 6/5/2014 2:11:56 AM >

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Post #: 10
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 1:28:17 AM   
OzoneGrif_slith

quote:

since if you haven't discovered the empire yet you won't see their territory limits, but the game will still act as if it's there

Good to know! And true, good guess here.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 11
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 1:28:31 AM   
dannyslag

Ok, after much fiddling I do think it's the last one. From the zoomed out view the system is outside my enemys zone of influence, but when zoomed part way in it looks like it overlaps with just a bit of the edge, so it most likely does count as in their influence. guess I'll have to just blast them into the dirt.

another question I just came upon.

I have one world in my home system, and a starport I captured from a merc pirate in a neighboring system. there is always a red dotted line from the mer base to my homeworld, and a green dotted line from my home system to the merc base i own. What does that mean?

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 12
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 1:46:29 AM   
OzoneGrif_slith

The green dotted line are main trade routes.

The red dotted line could be a fleet posture set to attack your homeworld. But sometimes I see ships target lines become red like this too, I don't know why, and it never last long.

(in reply to dannyslag)
Post #: 13
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 1:57:51 AM   
Spacecadet

The Red dotted line is an incoming ship/Fleet to whatever you have selected.

Example :

Your Spaceport is selected and active (displayed in the lower left) - at the other end of that Red line would be an ship/Fleet to your Spaceport.
It could be Military, Construction, Fleet, Enemy or so forth.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Post #: 14
RE: mining outside territory + random - 6/5/2014 8:01:07 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif

quote:

since if you haven't discovered the empire yet you won't see their territory limits, but the game will still act as if it's there

Good to know! And true, good guess here.

This could have changed, but I don't think so.

I am a "influence zone" kind of guy, I like to view those circles of territory. They won't show up if you have not discovered the colony creating them. But if you turn of the circles, I think foreign territory may be shown with the little background indicating ownership of each system.

I have always wondered how my construction guys manage to respect a border they know nothing about, though :)

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> mining outside territory + random Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI