Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 5/10/2014 11:55:45 PM   
Major_Mess

Matrix / Slitherine - Listen to Me.

This has been rolling around in my head for a few weeks now.
My Idea.
Swinging between apathy, (there’s so many reasons why I shouldn’t expend any energy towards this venture), and a burning righteousness in a cause I cannot ignore, I love this game so much. I did not know how to proceed. I’ve let my brain mull this over now, and as you can now see .... it’s tipped my path towards action.

Matrix / Slitherine - I Have a Business Opportunity for You.

This all started because I hit the Y key.
The Y key controlled the set range for the selected Unit. It is a very important function that would crash the game to desktop on anything newer than Win XP.
It doesn’t do that anymore.
You should know that.

Matrix / Slitherine - Ignore a Classic at your own Risk.

This game you own / administer / whatever - Steel Panthers World at War - this Red-Headed step-child of a game that came about due to the goofiest of circumstances. This free game that (last I checked) STILL has the third busiest Forum Board of all the games you distribute.

Unloved and abandoned by Matrix years ago.
Unable to function smoothly on any Windows system newer than XP.
Time appeared to be SPWaW’s enemy.

Matrix / Slitherine - You Got Lucky

Windows introduces 8.1 to the world.
And you guys - Matrix / Slitherine - having expended absolutely no effort at all - now have an old game from your stable of products working again.
Yes - SPWaW works just fine in Win 8/8.1

Matrix / Slitherine - SPWaW is not Dead

SPWaW is still being developed. Today. Right Now.
Did you know that Matrix / Slitherine?
Major Destruction is constantly adding to the Encyclopedia entries.
Some Polish dudes - PIBWL - have added a huge amount of new and improved graphics.
So has a contributor called Lord Nil
A new Manual is being reviewed prior to distribution right now as I type.
Scenarios, campaigns and maps are still being produced.

Matrix / Slitherine - Expand your Market Base.

Here’s a Pro-Tip about Win 8/8.1:
1 - It’s not that hard (especially for a big ol’ company like Matrix / Slitherine) to get a app/product/game approved for distro in the MS Windows store.
2 - The Military styled games offered on Win 8/8.1 are complete shyte. Utter rubbish.
There is No Competition

Matrix / Slitherine - Showcase your Product Line

Now just imagine for a minute here ..... Matrix offers their free Game - A Classic, Still Un-Rivalled to anything else out there - to the masses via the Win 8 store.
Do I need to connect all the dots on how this could benefit you Matrix / Slitherene?

Matrix / Slitherine - Some Effort Required

There is only one item, a “bug” that needs to be rectified.
It doesn’t bork the game, but is an irritant in what could be a seamless, modern experience.
It is an easily identifiable bug, with a solid work-around already available.
A simple GUI Interface issue.
What do you figure, maybe a hour or so of some coders time.

Matrix / Slitherine - I’m here to Help You

Create a new install file, one that’s all patched up to 8.403. One that starts the game through a mech.exe shortcut (ask if you don’t know what I’m talking about). It’s easy, freeware installers can do this, so can your paid software.
Clear out some of the cruft, if you wish I can send you a slimmed down version for review.

Matrix / Slitherine - Follow Me, you will be Enriched.

Talk to the Enhanced boys, talk to Major D. Speak out to everyone that has taken an interest in your game. It would take exactly One post on One Forum. Ask for permission to use their efforts. I can’t see where anyone would say no.

Matrix / Slitherine - Take my Hand. It will be OK

Bundle up the Enhanced Mod, along with anything else that adds value, add it all in and present to the world a New. Improved. Game. - Steel Panthers World at War V9.
Or how about this - Rebrand the bugger - World at War 1930-1949
Re-Branding is big in Marketing and Sales.

Matrix / Slitherine - Trust Me

Lets Review. A minimum of time and effort on your part. Help from the community will do some of the heavy lifting (OK, maybe not heavy lifting, but help non-the-less) with the bits that can be added.
The Matrix / Slitherine Brand makes ginormous inroads with the modern computer using public with a honkin’ wide demographic base.
All leveraged with a free game that was written off a long time ago.

Matrix / Slitherine - Don’t Drop the Ball

I’ll make fun of you if I’m ignored.
I’ll call you dumb everywhere I can cuz I think you would have to be kinda thick to not even explore the possibility.
Once I decided to do this, did you think I'd stop at one effort-post?
And if there is a response, I’ll be sitting down so there’ll be little chance of me falling on the and hitting my head.

Matrix / Slitherine - There could be so much more.

Just ask.

Thanks for reading this

yours Truly

MM

edited for clarity and spelling.
edited again: to repair obvious spel-cheker issues

< Message edited by Major Mess -- 5/18/2014 12:46:33 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/11/2014 11:21:43 AM   
Rodwonder

Haven't been able to play SPWAW for seven years, I have a Vista machine it's kind of sad. Now I just stick to winSPWW2... But a new machine might be in the works for the near future :-)

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 2
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/16/2014 8:51:09 PM   
JEB Davis

Major Mess is correct.

If Matrix doesn't WAKE UP and do something with this incredible game that needs a bit of TLC then Matrix is in a coma, or... dead to reality... or worse, just plain stupidly enamored with themselves.

How many pleas will Matrix continue to ignore?
And Matrix insults everyone by not even replying.
It couldn't be stated much better than Major Mess has just done.

Wake up and look at all the effort that has continued on the Depot and Enhanced forums, all for a free, outdated, partially-unfinished game that we still love and could with some effort become so much more for Matrix and for those that play it.

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Rodwonder)
Post #: 3
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/16/2014 9:17:20 PM   
rwenstrup

There are some things that define the culture of an organization. The original Steel Panthers give away made Matrix. I have bought games intentionally from Matrix for many years as a result of this.
It is VERY much in Matrix's interest to continue to support this game...it is a source of considerable customer goodwill...something that people pay a lot to get...

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 4
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/16/2014 10:09:43 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rodwonder

Haven't been able to play SPWAW for seven years, I have a Vista machine it's kind of sad. Now I just stick to winSPWW2... But a new machine might be in the works for the near future :-)

Same here, only win7. Matrix still has the gall to charge $50 for a game that doesn't work on anything newer than xp!!?

(in reply to Rodwonder)
Post #: 5
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/18/2014 12:40:55 PM   
wings7

He has some important points , are we going to get a response from Matrix / Slitherine?

Patrick

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 6
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/19/2014 1:51:40 PM   
IainMcNeil

Guys this game was developed a long time ago and for older operating system. It is still a great game and we still have a lot of people happy to pay the price. However we are not in a position to update the old code to bring it to newer operating systems as its more work than creating a full new game because the code base is sol old and patched.

That's not to say Steel Panthers is a dead end, but that we don't have any plans to do a OS upgrade for the old version.

It is also not a game you can just throw any developers at to do a remake. To make a real Steel Panthers game you need a real Steel Panthers team and there are not many of those available.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 7
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/19/2014 2:02:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

We are listening and taking your feedback into account.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 8
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/19/2014 4:54:25 PM   
Major_Mess

Thank You Iain for your response.

It’s heartening to know that my cheeky attempt of getting some attention around here succeeded. And to allay any fears, I didn’t fall off of my chair, so all is good.

Iain, I don’t know where to start ...
quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Guys this game was developed a long time ago and for older operating system. It is still a great game and we still have a lot of people happy to pay the price. However we are not in a position to update the old code to bring it to newer operating systems as its more work than creating a full new game because the code base is sol old and patched.

That's not to say Steel Panthers is a dead end, but that we don't have any plans to do a OS upgrade for the old version.

It is also not a game you can just throw any developers at to do a remake. To make a real Steel Panthers game you need a real Steel Panthers team and there are not many of those available.

It looks to me that you’ve referenced the files on this game, did a quick read through on the decision process to EOL the game, then regurgitated this answer to us.
I realize that you’re new to the Matrix side of things, that’s understood ..... but.

Iain, I don’t mean to be rude, or disparage you and your Firm by any means, but we’ve got to do a bit better on the subject at hand. I figure it won't be long before the Mob gets all snarky on us if we continue this way.

Iain, I’d like to ask you to do a couple of things for me, for us .... Please.
One: Re-read my original post.

Now, right here I’d like to add a little content to your post.

quote:

Guys this game was developed a long time ago and for older operating system. It is still a great game

I know this. Everybody knows this. People that have never played the game know this. No need to remind any of us of the basics.

quote:

and we still have a lot of people happy to pay the price.

Please, Please don’t tell me that THIS is the crux of the matter?
There’s no need to do anything, it’s generating enough coin as is.
Is that it?
Is that from Corporate?

I've separated this from the other comments. I want people to read this.

quote:

However we are not in a position to update the old code to bring it to newer operating systems as its more work than creating a full new game because the code base is sol old and patched.

Either a somewhat disingenuous answer, or you never read my post.
No need to “create a new game”. Just repair the interface controls (forgive me if I am using wrong terminology) on one screen.
That’s.
It.

quote:

we don't have any plans to do a OS upgrade for the old version.

Ha Ha Ha, No need to Mate. MS has done it for you.
Job Done. Next Quote

quote:

It is also not a game you can just throw any developers at to do a remake.

Sigh .....

Please re-read my first post.

Iain, the second thing I would like you to do is to spend a small part of your day on this.
Lets call it “Customer Service”.

Believe me - no disrespect intended, you will have a more thorough knowledge base to work with, you’ll know what you’re talking about.

Find yourself a Computer with Windows 8.1 on it.
Now, install the “great game” that you (sometimes) Moderate and that your Company still “sells”.
Try to find the Patches your outfit created. There is three in all.
No easy task on the Matrix board?, the Internet will help you.
Spend only a moment reflecting on why that simple task is so onerous.
Spend no time on why do you have to patch it up in the first place. I think we should tackle one thing at a time here, n’est pas?

When you’ve updated the game to 8.403, play it.

Really, spend a hour or so at it. You know, for research. For Science!
You might even gain an inkling as to why this game Still has such a large community worldwide.

Now tell me the Artillery Screen doesn’t piss you off.
(Pro-Tip: The work-around for this bug - I’ve mapped a button on my Mouse to click Shift & L/Click together and the Arty Screen works flawlessly now.)
Now tell me - there is nothing that can be done about this? This same task that works perfectly on all other screens on the very same game.

I would really appreciate that Iain.

Iain,
I only ask one more thing from you, that you don’t take my efforts here the wrong way.

Respectfully Yours

Major Mess

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/19/2014 4:58:07 PM   
Major_Mess

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

We are listening and taking your feedback into account.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik, Thank You.

I remember your name from the old days.
Could you take a look at this, maybe help get Iain up to speed.

Yours Truly

Major Mess

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/19/2014 10:27:09 PM   
Jafele

I consider Steel Panthers is a classic that should be updated or upgraded. It´s a great opportunity for Matrix and a huge number of customers. Matrix is making an exceptional work with other classics: JTCS and TOAW III. They are the people able to do this kind of job. Perhaps some improvements could be worked: OS compatibility, bug fixes and a better ui. I don´t know.

But I know many wargamers wouldn´t like to see this classic die

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 11
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/21/2014 7:11:42 PM   
Sotamies Riitaoja

Howdy all!

I just had to sign in and give my input to this subject.

A reboot of the Steel Panthers game series would be absolutely fantastic! No other game comes even close to what Steel Panthers has to offer. Sadly the age of the game is starting to show. Limited resolution and poor compatibility with modern computer systems is slowly killing it.

Matrix Games and Slitherine could team up with Gary Grigsby and make a Steel Panthers 4 but I think they may be afraid that they will not get enough profit from the game. After all they need to hire coders and graphics artist, etc. It is not at all that sertain a new Steel Panthers game would make enough money or be noticed in todays market.

However I think there are alot of people who still remember Steel Panthers and would like to play a new version of the game.

So I was thinking about the Kickstarter crowdfunding method. This way Matrix Games could calculate a budget for making the game and then raise the money with Kickstarter.
If the project fails to secure the income then Matrixgames would not lose much and we would know that there is not a large enough crowd for a new Steel Panthers game.

In any case I do hope this great game series will make a comeback someday at least before the fans die of old age waiting for it!

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 12
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 5/21/2014 9:20:05 PM   
Jafele

Once Gary mentioned Steel Panthers was the game he most enjoyed creating in his career. Who knows what tomorrow may bring?

SP was originally released in 1995, since then loads of people have been playing. After 20 years there are still many forums dedicated to this classic game. Is out there many games with these merits or am I missing something? Obviously SP is being absurdly mistreated.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 5/21/2014 10:21:33 PM >

(in reply to Sotamies Riitaoja)
Post #: 13
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 5/26/2014 4:54:23 PM   
KG Erwin

The obvious problem is that the game would have to be rewritten from the ground up. Former Matrix programmer Michael Wood helped some of us along in our previous upgrades, but he admitted that the code was so old it had reached the end of its usefulness. I am thankful that he did help, though. If it wasn't for him the Enhanced version would never have seen the light of the day.

Even at that, it's still my all-time favorite game, and I still regularly play it.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 5/26/2014 5:57:06 PM >

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 14
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 5/31/2014 8:55:41 PM   
mkr8683

Major.. your avatar is the reason your message is not being received clearly.

Despite your best efforts, you're holding up progress on a new SP.

Matt

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 6/1/2014 8:46:54 PM   
Major_Mess

quote:

ORIGINAL: mkr8683

Major.. your avatar is the reason your message is not being received clearly.

Despite your best efforts, you're holding up progress on a new SP.

Matt

Ha Ha Ha!

Do you think that's it?

OK, fair enough, I've changed my Avatar to one a bit friendlier (I hope)

quote:

Mr. McNeil, have you per chance been able to take another look at this?

(oh, and by the way. I've been informed that you are not only an Administrator, and and Director ..... but you are one of the founders of Slitherine.
Nice.
Thanks again for your previous response.)

So far I'm kinda disappointed, but I'm patient to a fault, and I know you're a busy guy.

So, Give it a try.

Come On.

What have you got to lose?

Already free game packaged up for Win 8.

Seems like a no-brainer from this corner.

Yours Truly

Major Mess

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to mkr8683)
Post #: 16
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 6/5/2014 8:48:18 PM   
mkr8683

That's a much better avatar :)

I don't understand why our old girl has been adrift in the ocean for so long. The sheer amount of scenarios, campaigns, and mods for this one game is staggering. Why they haven't capitalized on this, I just don't know.

I'd like to know, though. Like you said, opportunity knocks. As I said before, I'd gladly fork out a hundred bucks for a new SP.

Thinking I got in over my head with the Nam mod. If they just unlocked the helicopter code.. but too much has been done with it to just let it go.

Maybe one day something will happen. Like we've been saying for the past decade.

Matt

< Message edited by mkr8683 -- 6/5/2014 9:50:27 PM >

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 17
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 6/7/2014 1:25:45 AM   
bob55

I would gladly purchase a new version reconfigured for the new OS's....!!!!!

With the current popularity of the older version, and all of the communities committed to keeping the ol' girl going, it would certainly be in Matrix's interest to invest a little effort into updating this game!

(in reply to mkr8683)
Post #: 18
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 6/7/2014 3:17:27 PM   
lparkh

For those of you who have also played Conflict of Heroes, Lock and Load, or Close Combat, what would make you prefer a new SP to those titles?

(in reply to bob55)
Post #: 19
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 6/7/2014 11:24:43 PM   
Don Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: lparkh

For those of you who have also played Conflict of Heroes, Lock and Load, or Close Combat, what would make you prefer a new SP to those titles?

Yes I would. I have a warm spot in my Heart for the old gal! I would pay for a updated version of her!

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to lparkh)
Post #: 20
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 6/8/2014 3:55:13 AM   
sinner

I'd love to purchase SPWaW with increased resolution, Windows 7 enabled (or Linux enabled or Mac OSX enabled).

Right now, it's not the easiest thing to get it running. And still, after all those many years, there's people playing it!

The Old Lady is not matched by any other wargame in the amount of fun she provides.

Please, oh please!

Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"

(in reply to Don Doom)
Post #: 21
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 6/9/2014 3:05:49 PM   
morge4

I too dearly love this grand old game! Any help to make it a grand new game would be wonderful! The game deserves an uplift to make it a bit more compatible with the new OS's.

(in reply to sinner)
Post #: 22
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 6/12/2014 10:14:13 PM   
Major_Mess

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotamies Riitaoja

I see that you have problems with the artillery screen in SPWAW. I have mine working fine with the cpu core affinity set at #2. The problem is that the game does not know what to do with todays multi core processors.

I have attached the fix I am using so you can try it out if you want to.

basicaly you extract the files in "Steel Panters World at War" main game folder where mech.exe is and start the game from "_Run_SPWAW_Win7.CMD". The fix also contains Aqrit's ddrawrapper that should correct the colors on windows 7/vista.

Let me know if it works for you.

Dude, did you write this cmd file?
Or is this NCrawlers work?

Either way, whoever created this is a God among wargamers.

Problem solved, bug fixed.

Further dialogue with Slitherene forthcoming.

cheers

MM

(in reply to Sotamies Riitaoja)
Post #: 23
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 6/13/2014 1:13:25 AM   
wodin

A reboot of Steel Panthers really is the only game I'm truly waiting for. We need a monster tactical game. The recent tactical wargames are either boardgame conversions which means they are very abstract by nature or it's 3D i.e Combat Mission X2 and Graviteam tactics (both amazing games). We need a proper top down either WEGO or turn based in depth, uber detailed monster tactical wargame. A game that models things in great detail from weather to individual solider moral, from close combat to vehicle component damage. One which does alot but isn't a click fest and has good command and control movement mechanics. Would model leaders down to squad level. Would model off map arty in detail including things like modifiers due to weather\atmospherics. Model radio comms historically. Multi level buildings including sewers. Fortifications like trench networks and dug outs. Realistic ballistics model. Include all types of Inf so we can have paratroops or Serbian ski troops etc etc. Model resupply and reinforcements. Bridge building by pioneers (including different types of bridge). Have a good camo system and have things like Japanese spider traps aswell as underground tunnel systems. A decent air aspect with pilot skill and strafing tactics\STUKA dive bombing (Stuka have a moral hit aswell). Things like concussion modeled so troops could be killed by concussion due to close proximity. Detailed SOP settings from squad to individual weapon settings (that way you can give the squads lmg different SOPD's to the riflemen.

Orders will be carried out aswell as that units leader can. SO you set the SOP's. Then give your units their orders for the battle. Once under way if you want to change the order for a unit and they have a radio you can get the order to them quickly, however if they don't you have to send a messenger so takes time. So alot of the planning will be done before you hit start and after that you'll be adjusting on the fly with command delays and relying on your Officers and nco's.

Have a decent rpg aspect when it comes to your troops so you feel attached.

Give the player lots of decisions yet at the same time not to complicated to play.

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 24
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 6/13/2014 8:39:23 PM   
mkr8683

Wodin, I think I just creamed myself

Your post is like a Steel Panthers erotic novel.

Please get yourself hired by Matrix/Slitherine

< Message edited by mkr8683 -- 6/13/2014 9:43:58 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 25
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 6/19/2014 9:03:52 PM   
TerribleIvan

i second mkr8683's opinion, Wodin's post is better than gunporn (tankporn?)

i'll also gladly pay a hundred bucks for an updated version, or support kickstarter crowdfunding if one is ever set up for SPWAW

(in reply to mkr8683)
Post #: 26
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 6/22/2014 8:32:51 PM   
Major_Mess

Mr. McNeil.

Bumping this post to ask if there has been any movement at your end concerning this game? Its been over a month since I broached this topic.

Or, Is your one and only post on this thread your position on this subject?
The final word.

Silly naive me, I really honestly thought that you (Matrix/Slitherine) would be chuffed with the knowledge that an old game in your catalogue was again "relevant".
Especially one with such a recognisable name and tradition in the very business you earn a living from.

Yet, by doing nothing you (Matrix/Slitherine) are wilfully allowing SPWaW to just "die on the vine" due to the apparently total lack of interest and support.
I say this because anyone that has even a scintilla of interest in the PC wargaming genre would recognise that the scenario before us is wrong, and that this situation can and should be rectified.

But I'm beginning to realise that you are not that class of individual, and tragically Matrix is not that type of Gaming Company anymore.

I understand it now.
It's entirely a business decision. Why would you want to expend any time or energy on an old game that you're already giving away for free?
That's Crazy Talk!

Nope, you and your partner are just a pair of businessmen that make money off of people that like PC Wargames.
That's it, nothing else matters.

And that's Sad.

My initial belief that you would have to be considered a DUMB person, and by extension your firm a DUMB company if you didn't at least investigate SPWaW's new found life was wrong on my part, and a bit mean spirited.
I apologise.
I won't call you DUMB.

I now don't believe that you should to be laughed at, or that Matrix/Slitherine shows the signs of a bumbling operation that only scores own-goals.
No Way, I won't speak of it!

No Sir, In my eyes the conduct shown is simply Shameful.

However, in spite of that I am still willing to work with you because well, business is business. Right?
I have a proposition that you might find beneficial to you, and to a lesser degree to the rest of us.

PM me if you are at all interested. What have you got to lose?

As Always,
Respectably Yours

Major Mess

(in reply to TerribleIvan)
Post #: 27
RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks - 6/24/2014 5:59:05 AM   
forgorin

I like both Matrix and Slitherine.
How about Slitherine makes a new Steel Panthers from scratch and Matrix can sell it?
Slitherine is doing a good job of the Panzer Corp game so obviously they are good at turning golden oldies into modern good games.

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 28
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 7/11/2014 5:29:47 PM   
GeneralClausewitz

I realize I'm arriving a bit late to this conversation, however it's an important topic to me so I hope you forgive my tardiness. First and foremost, I would like to state that I would absolutely pay top dollar for a remake of SPWAW. While I play a great many games, I ALWAYS find myself returning to SPWAW. It is absolutely unsurpassed in its ability to realistically portray combat during World War II. Literally any conflict that took place during that War can be recreated quite accurately in SPWAW. It's a true gem of a game, and still holds my attention decades after it was first released. I will add, however, that any remake of the game must be done correctly. So many reboots of older games recently have used the name of the previous game, but for reasons that I cannot fathom, they discard the things that made the original so great. I hope this would not be the case for any SPWAW remake. In fact, I would only be interested in a remake if it improved upon, rather than changed, the original mechanics of the game. The following are some ways that I believe it could do that:

1. DO NOT TINKER TOO MUCH WITH THE CORE MECHANICS! As I've already stated, SPWAW is already a great game and the mechanics are sound. As the saying goes, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

2. FOCUS ON IMPROVING GRAPHICS! For all the reasons to remake SPWAW, this one stands head and shoulders above the rest. If only one thing is done to the game, it should be this. While I think the graphics have aged marvelously, it would certainly not hurt to spruce them up, and allow higher resolutions.

3. ADD MORE OPTIONS! I believe this would be the safest way to bring in new content without offending fans of the game. The original SPWAW does a great job of providing options for you to alter the game to your liking, but also allows you to forgo those options if you choose. Any additional content should be created in this manner, so that a purist can enjoy the original game they loved so much, while those who like additional features can enjoy them as well.

4. SOME IDEAS FOR NEW OPTIONS! When playing SPWAW, there are times where I wish the game would allow greater depth on certain issues. Listed below are those options that appeal to me (but in no shape or form is my list exhaustive; merely a jumping off point).

-Add corpses to the game. One of my favorite things after fighting a tough battle in SPWAW is to survey the map and marvel at the destruction the battle has caused. Destroyed tanks litter the battlefield, a smoky haze hangs over the field, houses and buildings reduced to rubble, fires rage in forests and cities. However there is one thing missing, and that is the human cost. While I might be accused of being bloodthirsty, I believe that the lack of corpses makes it difficult to pinpoint where the heaviest infantry fighting occurred, and censors the cost of war. Just as knocked out tanks leave burning wreckage, soldiers that have been killed should also be displayed.

-Add a medic/hospital system. While some might argue this is outside the scope of SPWAW, I disagree. Medics were present on the frontlines, and omitting them fails to do justice to those that actually performed this grisly task. Including medics/ambulances would add even more depth to a game that already has noteworthy amounts of it. While medics should obviously not be able to magically heal soldiers, it would make sense that their presence would convert soldiers that might have died into soldiers that were critically wounded, and the critically wounded could be converted into walking wounded, and walking wounded could be allowed to immediately return to the fighting. If a medic is present near a unit that has suffered casualties, it should be able to convert a fraction of those wounded into a lesser degree of wounding. Additionally the medic should give a morale boost to units that have taken casualties. Finally, medics should be able to allow a percentage of wounded veteran soldiers to return to their units if a campaign is being played.

-Add more RPG elements! By RPG elements I do not mean paladins and orcs and magic, but rather anything that makes your digital soldiers feel more human. More than anything else, this is the one thing I feel that the original SPWAW somewhat fails to deliver. While you can name your unit commanders and have your units gain experience during a campaign, the RPG elements available in the original SPWAW pretty much ends there. The result is that a player can be fairly wreckless with the lives of their digital soldiers, and not suffer any emotional cost when they are wounded or killed. By bringing the individual soldiers under your command to life, it can do a much better job of simulating the the hesitancy a commander should feel when sending their soldiers into harm's way. Imagine having a veteran and blooded squad of soldiers that are very experienced, but are not utilized as much because the player does not wish to risk losing them. It would be a very welcome and neat mechanic. Additionally, imagine getting the following messages during battle or in between battles during campaigns:

"Lieutenant Jennings has received a Distinguished Service Cross! +10 to morale!" (or whatever increase to stats makes sense)

"Private Smith has received a dear John letter! -10 to morale!"

"Sergeant Johnson has been killed in action! His squad is enraged and will fight viciously for the remainder of the battle, but will also refuse to take prisoners!"

"Private Mason has been killed in action! His best friend Private Allen suffers a nervous breakdown, and is escorted off the battlefield!"

Naturally these are just examples, however I think the game would benefit greatly from increasing the human element. How neat would it be to see your highly-decorated squad safely survive the war? How gut-wrenching would it be to see them slaughtered days before the end of the war?

-Add historically accurate medals to the game. I love seeing my soldiers accumulate decorations in those few games that provide it (Close Combat is an almost perfect example of it being done well). It's just really neat to see your soldiers become hardened veterans. However historical accuracy is very important. Sometimes wargames include medals, but make it very clear they did not bother taking the fifteen minutes necessary to properly research them and award them in a way that makes sense. I'll use American medals as an example since those are the ones I am most familiar with. If your soldiers are shot at during a battle, they should be awarded a Combat Infantry Badge. Any soldier that is wounded in battle should be awarded a Purple Heart. For decorations like the Medal of Honor, [Distinguished Service/Navy] Cross, Silver Star, or Bronze Star, there should be a formula for determining if it happens, along with some degree of chance included. A variety of factors should be included in the formula, including things like how much enemy fire a unit took, how many casualties they took/inflicted, how many objectives they secured, and how much terrain they covered (among other things). If a squad took fire from artillery, tanks, machine guns, and infantry, inflicted 20 casualties upon the enemy, and had half of their squad killed in a battle, the formula would take all these things into account, as well as roll a few virtual dice, and them come up with a result. Maybe a General was watching, and all survivors were awarded Silver Stars. Or no one noticed and so no one is awarded anything. Or the game calculates that one member of the squad has earned a DSC (maybe even allowing you to choose the soldier it is awarded to). This would be my dream system. :)

Anyways, I've rambled long enough. In short, I would love to see SPWAW get remade, and would absolutely be willing to pay for a good remake. Thanks for listening! :)

< Message edited by hrethgar -- 7/11/2014 6:49:38 PM >

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 29
RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks - 7/12/2014 2:42:59 AM   
mkr8683

My god, hrethgar, are you and Wodin collaborating on a SP:WaW erotic novel? Enough, I can't take it anymore!

By the way, Major, did you happen to receive any word from Matrix or Slitherine?

(in reply to GeneralClausewitz)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI