Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sinking in Harbor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Sinking in Harbor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sinking in Harbor - 2/11/2003 9:52:52 AM   
Drex

I was lucky to get the Shokaku into Shortland with an 88 flotation. i had already lost the Zuikaku enroute so it was with outrage that 2 days later I received the mesage that the Shokaku had sunk in harbor. I'm sorry but I should still be able to recover the planes in a level 4 harbor. No ship should sink after 2 days in a level 4 harbor.
Post #: 1
- 2/11/2003 10:27:49 AM   
CapAndGown

Did you have an air field? Then you could recover the planes.

And I have to disagree with you about not losing a ship in a level 4 harbor. The US almost lost the Minneaopolis after the "crew had sweated for five days and nights, regaining bouyancy by inches, when a sudden bewildering gas explosion flooded several hitherto dry compartments, destroyed more equipment and caused the heartbreaking los of seven feet in draft." This while she was parked at Tulagi, a level 3 harbor.

One might also point to the Stewart which rolled over in dry dock, was supposedly demolished by demolition charges, but later reparied by the Japs and served in the IJN.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 2
- 2/11/2003 10:29:27 AM   
Yamamoto

I've found that, as the Japanese anyway, my ships often sink even in a harbor if they have over 80 or so flotation damage. Being in a harbor doesn't seem to help. I think you could have transfered the planes off as soon as you docked, though.

Yamamoto

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 3
- 2/11/2003 10:57:13 AM   
Drex

Losing the carrier was bad but i couldn't get the planes off - it was greyed out. I think with 50% sys damage this occurs. I lost full air complements in the Shokaku and Zuikaku. Zuikaku was at sea so I understand that but the Shokaku planes should have been saved.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 4
- 2/11/2003 10:58:41 AM   
CapAndGown

To get the planes off a badly damaged carrier I believe you need to disband the TF. They can then be offloaded by crane.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 5
- 2/11/2003 11:14:52 AM   
Admiral DadMan

Think about it: If the flight deck has been torn to shreds, and the ship as a whole has the snot beat out of it, how are you going to get planes off of it?

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 6
- 2/11/2003 11:16:37 AM   
Drex

well I did disband the TF but I didn't think to check it after that:#$^***)(*&^!!

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 7
- 2/12/2003 8:54:37 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Simply disbanding the Air Combat TF does not restore the ability to get the Air Complement off a heavily damaged carrier. I believe it is the sys damage that determines it. I had the Shokaku at Kavieng (in port) for several weeks with 54 % sys damage. Finally the sys damaged declined to 52 (I think) ...then I was able to fly them off. Of course, when I tried to send her back to Truk...my opponent put a fish into her in the middle of the Bismark sea. :mad:

In the best of all possible worlds...it would be nice if the experienced air crews could walk off the ship in harbor instead of going down with the boat.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 8
- 2/12/2003 9:01:51 AM   
Drex

I seem to remember that my sys damage was in the 70's so Admiral Dadman is realistically correct to figure that the planes aren't parked nice and neat on the flight deck but probably bunched in the Hanger trapped by the jammed or collapsed elevator.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 9
- 2/12/2003 9:20:40 AM   
Yamamoto

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Admiral DadMan
[B]Think about it: If the flight deck has been torn to shreds, and the ship as a whole has the snot beat out of it, how are you going to get planes off of it? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, since most Japanese CVs have open hangers, you could just park the ship in port, put a ramp from the hanger to the shore and push the planes off. Either that or use a crane and swing them out the side.

Yamamoto

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 10
- 2/12/2003 10:40:27 AM   
Drex

Of course we are splitting hairs here, but does a size 4 port have a crane? even with open hangers, a 70 sys damage would surely impair loading. The planes are listed being carried in the carrier but what shape are they in?

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 11
- 2/12/2003 10:54:49 AM   
Philwd

Drex,
In my current game I had Zuikaku hit 99 sys damage and 98 flotation. I got her to Efate(yes I had captured it early) with a lvl 3 port. The planes transferred off just fine. They had been transferred off earlier but somehow landed back that turn onto a floating wreck. I don't know if that was a factor or not but I was able to recover all 3 squadrons.

Quark

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 12
- 2/12/2003 11:04:04 AM   
bradfordkay

When transferring planes off of a ship in port, damage doesn't matter IF you are transferring the planes to the airbase in that port. If you are trying to transfer them to a different airbase, then they need to be able to fly off the ship (requiring less than 50 sys and flot damage).

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 13
- 2/12/2003 11:09:33 AM   
Yamamoto

Actually, I'd like to see CVs that take damage (espicially fire damage) to lose a lot of their planes. I wouldn't want the pilots to die; I assume they don't sit in their planes as the CV burns for days on end. It surprises me that planes are never lost due to on-board fires.

Yamamoto

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 14
- 2/12/2003 11:23:49 AM   
Drex

Thanks Quark. Looks like I made a procedural error due to my ignorance and lost 60+ planes and their crews!(gnashing of teeth and renting of garments)However I do believe the crews should have been saved and sent back to the pools.It pains me deeply.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 15
- 2/12/2003 11:24:55 AM   
CapAndGown

The planes are usually all in the air; unless, of course, you are Nagumo and the location is Midway. :o

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 16
- 2/12/2003 11:50:54 AM   
Drex

How did you know who the TF commander was?

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 17
- 2/12/2003 9:37:25 PM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yamamoto
[B]Actually, I'd like to see CVs that take damage (espicially fire damage) to lose a lot of their planes. I wouldn't want the pilots to die; I assume they don't sit in their planes as the CV burns for days on end. It surprises me that planes are never lost due to on-board fires.

Yamamoto [/B][/QUOTE]Geez, how about just make the Ready Room a Hit Location and have the damage rated in Pilots?

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 18
- 2/12/2003 9:42:02 PM   
HannoMeier

Maybe you could ask your opponent to redo the turn. I wasn't aware that you could offload from a more than 50+ damage carrier either.

Hanno

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 19
- 2/12/2003 10:02:58 PM   
Drex

I don't like to go back and replay turns. Its the fortunes of war and I have to live (or die)with my mistakes. Ignorance is no excuse.You can bet I will remember to disband and offload next time - and there will be a next time I'm sure.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 20
planes transferring back... - 2/12/2003 11:33:37 PM   
m0ngoose

Quark--I too have seen planes auto transfer back onto a burning wreck.

I had the CVL Shoho in Tulagi with 88 sys keep reloading her planes every turn after I took them off. Finally I put them on another carrier and that did the trick.

:rolleyes:

"May your sword be wet as a woman in her prime."

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 21
- 2/13/2003 1:25:16 AM   
HawaiiFive-O

I did offer to let Drex replay the turn.

Actually I offered to let him replay earlier when he mentioned that he might lose those two carriers due to the game's insistence in re-routing them to a different port.

But like a trooper he wanted to live with his mistake.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 22
- 2/14/2003 5:41:49 AM   
crsutton

A level three or four port can be touch and go. I have seen my Japanes carriers with 90 flotation damage go both ways. Once I lost one at Shortland, another time one hovered between 89 to 91 damage but survived and is back in Tokyo now. However, what I did was; 1. Make sure the port was fully (white)supported. 2. Sent all minor damaged ships back to Rabaul so the carrier got all of the repair work. 3. Rushed in some engineers and turned off air base expansion and fortifications to try and get the port level up a notch. 4 Prayed like a monk before going to bed each night. While the ship was lingering, I got the port up to level 5 and that is when she turned the corner. Not sure if any of these had a dramatic effect but, Im gonna do em all again under similar circumstances.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 23
Drex - mail bouncing - 2/14/2003 6:31:15 AM   
fcooke

I know you're having email troubles. Last mail I sent bounced. Let me know when you can get mail again.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Sinking in Harbor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI