Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any means to get a list of planets, by type?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Any means to get a list of planets, by type? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any means to get a list of planets, by type? - 6/8/2014 8:46:46 PM   
vmxa_slith

Two situations where I want to know what planets are known to me and where.
1) came across a colony ship, not my native type
2) researched colonization and want to choose the next planet type to learn.
If I knew I had some goods swamps, I would research that. If continental, then that
one.
Post #: 1
RE: Any means to get a list of planets, by type? - 6/8/2014 8:52:28 PM   
Tormodino

You can use the universal resource list and sort by quality tp find high quality/large planets nearby that you cannot currently colonize, but there should definitely be a more manageable list and filter for this type of search.

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Any means to get a list of planets, by type? - 6/8/2014 9:26:59 PM   
Aeson

When you acquire a colony ship that allows you to colonize a planet of a type which you cannot currently colonize, the potential colonies list (checkered flag icon on the left side of the screen) updates to include the worlds that the new colony ship allows you to settle. You can also go into the expansion planner and select the potential colonies filter, and that should also list the colonies that the new colony ship will allow you to settle.

If you're just looking for which type of colonization research you should get next, then as far as I know there is no easy way to generate such a list, aside from the expansion planner with 'resources by (someone's needs)' filter, sorted by planet quality, and as Tormodino notes, that's not really that convenient a list for what you're trying to do.

(in reply to Tormodino)
Post #: 3
RE: Any means to get a list of planets, by type? - 6/8/2014 10:23:29 PM   
vmxa_slith

Tormodino
Do you mean the expansion planner? That only shows me planets I can colonize. It does not even include the "captured" colony type (marsh).

Aeson
Still not seeing the new planet type (marsh)in the planner. Maybe it needs the colony ship to be in my system. The design show the new colony ship (marked as obsolete.

Do I know you from Apolyton, civ3 days?

< Message edited by vmxa -- 6/8/2014 11:27:48 PM >

(in reply to Tormodino)
Post #: 4
RE: Any means to get a list of planets, by type? - 6/8/2014 10:34:18 PM   
Tormodino

Select the tab called "Resource Targets by Galaxy Priority" in the expansion planner. If you filter by "All Resources" you get a list of every single resource location you have discovered. It's not foolproof, but it should help you. The system for getting information quickly is less than optimal.

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: Any means to get a list of planets, by type? - 6/8/2014 11:02:11 PM   
Aeson

quote:

Aeson
Still not seeing the new planet type (marsh)in the planner. Maybe it needs the colony ship to be in my system. The design show the new colony ship (marked as obsolete.

I just checked in game by spawning a colony ship in foreign territory for my empire carrying a species that can settle a planet that I can't currently settle. The expansion planner's 'potential colonies' filter showed planets which could only be colonized using that colony ship, without requiring it to be in the appropriate system or even in my space. So did the list of potential colonies that can be opened by clicking on the button on the left side of the screen that looks like a checkerboard flag. Perhaps you just need to give the game a little time to update the list, or perhaps something broke in the 1.9.2 update that I haven't downloaded yet.

Also be aware that if you select the planet on the main screen, the 'colonize' button will be greyed out because the 'colonize' button orders the construction of a new colony ship bound for that world, rather than taking an existing colony ship and directing it to the world, so if you're checking your ability to colonize using that option you might find yourself disappointed.

quote:

Do I know you from Apolyton, civ3 days?

I very much doubt it; Civ 2 is the only Civilizations game I ever played, and I don't have an Apolyton account.

(in reply to Tormodino)
Post #: 6
RE: Any means to get a list of planets, by type? - 6/8/2014 11:12:15 PM   
vmxa_slith

I suspect that it is a case of there not being any marsh planets that I have located a this point, thanks.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Any means to get a list of planets, by type? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI