Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Make me care about the crew.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> Make me care about the crew. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Make me care about the crew. - 6/9/2014 6:55:17 PM   
shaunchattey

^Title.
+alpha caveat etc etc

What is going to happen to make me care about the crew, being named after random people ive never met and the stats being really bland?

I assume at this moment we wont have historic astronauts? which would help.
I also assume from previous criticism we wont be able to rename astronauts, but MAY be able to rename the ground crew.

Any information yet on the future?

Also does anyone else have any ideas for the team which would make the astronauts et al actually hugely important to your psycholgical game?
Currently I see numbers/stats, I don't even read the names of astronauts.

A few ideas off the top of my head:

-Medals.
-Mission histories.
-Randomised backgrounds? ie aerospace/marine aviator with appropriate bonuses to skillset.
-Public appearances/popularity? drag the astronauts around to raise their standing and make money, but take a hit if said astronaut gets into trouble in personal life/dies in space.
-individual missions for astronauts in space? as in experiments they brought to do ala modern nasa astronauts.

< Message edited by deadmeat1471 -- 6/9/2014 8:13:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Make me care about the crew. - 6/10/2014 1:57:56 PM   
Nacho84

Hello deadmeat,

Welcome back to the forums

quote:

ORIGINAL: deadmeat1471
+alpha caveat etc etc

What is "+alpha caveat"?

quote:

What is going to happen to make me care about the crew, being named after random people ive never met and the stats being really bland?

Sorry, what do you mean by "stats really bland", I'm not following you.

quote:

We'll see what we can do. For the moment using the historic astronauts is not an option due to legal issues, but we'll see what we can do.

quote:

I also assume from previous criticism we wont be able to rename astronauts, but MAY be able to rename the ground crew.

You can already edit the XML files with the candidates names. This option has been available for months and I know of some players who keep their own edited lists.

quote:

Sorry, I'm not following you on this one. Which future?

quote:

-Medals.
-Mission histories.
-Randomised backgrounds? ie aerospace/marine aviator with appropriate bonuses to skillset.
-Public appearances/popularity? drag the astronauts around to raise their standing and make money, but take a hit if said astronaut gets into trouble in personal life/dies in space.
-individual missions for astronauts in space? as in experiments they brought to do ala modern nasa astronauts.

Most of these stats will be included in the Museum, which has not been implemented yet.

Cheers,

Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion

(in reply to shaunchattey)
Post #: 2
RE: Make me care about the crew. - 6/10/2014 2:48:51 PM   
shaunchattey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nacho84

Hello deadmeat,

Welcome back to the forums

quote:

+alpha caveat etc etc

What is "+alpha caveat"?

quote:

Sorry, what do you mean by "stats really bland", I'm not following you.

quote:

We'll see what we can do. For the moment using the historic astronauts is not an option due to legal issues, but we'll see what we can do.

quote:

You can already edit the XML files with the candidates names. This option has been available for months and I know of some players who keep their own edited lists.

quote:

Sorry, I'm not following you on this one. Which future?

quote:

-Medals.
-Mission histories.

Most of these stats will be included in the Museum, which has not been implemented yet.

Cheers,

1) By alpha caveat I mean I'm not being overly critical, I know this game isnt finished and many things are planned. Hence the caveat.

2) mere stats alone are very bland, boring and dont garner my sympathy for the fate of people.

3) I did not know you could edit the xml stuff, I missed this, thanks!

4) The future of the game..... I believe the game is far from finished and there will be many patches in the future. This is the future I am referring to.

5) Glad to hear most of this will be included, but potentially people have ideas that may spark additional ideas for the future development. I was merely asking the question on, to me, the most important aspect of the game; caring for those we send into space!

Great work by the way, I am really impressed by how this game is turning out. As a huge space fan, BARIS fan and a member of the planetary society!

< Message edited by deadmeat1471 -- 6/10/2014 3:52:20 PM >

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 3
RE: Make me care about the crew. - 6/10/2014 3:34:00 PM   
Nacho84

Ah, I see what you mean by 'alpha caveat'. I wasn't familiar with that term at all.

I think that once the museum is in place and the placeholder images for the personnel get replaced by proper ones you'll have a stronger attachment to your employees.

Regarding the future: as I'm writing this I'm uploading an interim build for internal testing. If everything goes well, we'll be releasing SPM 0.7.19 tomorrow, which features lots of new content and fixes. After that, the development roadmap is (roughly) as follows:

1) Multiplayer implementation (we've already done lots of preliminary work on this area, but it's not ready for tomorrow's release).
2) UI polishing plus all the missing content (i.e., replacement of placeholder images, missing animations and integration of the soviet audio in the new missions).
3) Single player 'race to the Moon' campaigns.
4) Museum and any missing functionality.
5) Balancing, bug-fixing and extra UI polishing based on player's feedback.
6) Game manual.
7) Final release.

We'll see what happens afterwards

Cheers,

Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com

(in reply to shaunchattey)
Post #: 4
RE: Make me care about the crew. - 6/10/2014 5:29:35 PM   
jimmyPx

"We'll see what we can do. For the moment using the historic astronauts is not an option due to legal issues, but we'll see what we can do."

But since he is involved, it would be cool if Buzz Aldrin was one of the astronauts.

One other thing that would be cool is as your astronauts get older they can "retire" from the astronaut corps and then be recruited to either be Flight Directors, Head of Astronaut Corps, or Scientists (as happened in real life at NASA).

Don't know if that's doable, but it would be neat. I guess what the poster above means is that when I skimp R&D and send up a mission before it is ready and kill Joe Schmo, I don't care. But if I have been training Buzz Aldrin and have him ready to go, I WILL care about killing him. Just adds to the immersion factor.

Loving the game and can't wait to try the new version when it comes out in a few days.

< Message edited by Jim Power -- 6/10/2014 6:33:13 PM >

Jim Power

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 5
RE: Make me care about the crew. - 6/10/2014 7:59:40 PM   
Nacho84

Buzz will definitely be there. We haven't added him yet, but he will definitely show up in the recruits list in the final release. The problem is with the other astronauts. We're working on it, but we cannot promise anything at the moment.

Cheers,

Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com

(in reply to jimmyPx)
Post #: 6
RE: Make me care about the crew. - 6/11/2014 5:32:57 AM   
histgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nacho84

Buzz will definitely be there. We haven't added him yet, but he will definitely show up in the recruits list in the final release. The problem is with the other astronauts. We're working on it, but we cannot promise anything at the moment.

Cheers,

I am not a lawyer BUT...

Wouldn't the names be part of the public domain since it was all government created media surrounding the entire program? You can use a president's name, or a Generals name in a game without their permission, just as government produced photos are part of the public domain, how are astronauts who were military officers and government employee's different?

Heck Out of the Park Baseball uses major league baseball players names in their games (though non of their photos or team logos or anything) because of a fantasy sports ruling by a judge which claimed the names of athletes are part of public domain because they are general info part of the public record due to their inclusion in public and often free newspapers.

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 7
RE: Make me care about the crew. - 6/11/2014 2:19:52 PM   
wolf14455

Its also a personal feeling about being in the game. I remember formula 1 GP game where all drivers was included except ‎Jacques Villeneuve didnt like to be in the game as the "retired" feture in the game meant maimed or dead. He father Gilles Villeneuve died in a race. So this driver was called John Newhouse instead. So maybee the austronauts and/or family say no because of this.

SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 8
RE: Make me care about the crew. - 6/12/2014 3:34:35 PM   
nico7550

I will add that there is other peoples whose names is Neil Amstrong...

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> Make me care about the crew. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI