Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Star Trek - Picard Era (Universe v1.1)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek - Picard Era (Universe v1.1) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek - Picard Era (Universe v1.1) - 6/9/2014 11:23:15 PM   
necaradan666

Nope custom game is where you're supposed to be going. Three files? The hotfix isn't required any longer if you just downloaded, gyro fixed the main download.

Is it possible you extracted the file to a folder and didn't put the correct one in? Check inside Distant Worlds\Customization\Star Trek Universe\ if there's another Star Trek Universe folder there it's installed wrong. You should be seeing a bunch of text files and some folders like images, help, sounds etc.

(in reply to SpottedJag96)
Post #: 61
RE: Star Trek - Picard Era (Universe v1.1) - 6/10/2014 12:06:48 AM   
Varlun

I'm struggling with something and was wondering if you could help really quick. I'm trying to convert the resource icons in this Star Trek mod from Das's Chrome to the Graphical Enhancement Mod resources. But Das's resources have one extra image, and the game crashes if you don't have that 41st image. Do you know what I can do to fix this?

I assume it has something to do with the resources.txt file, but I don't know what to change.

Should I just... delete, the resources text file? Or better yet, replace it with the one that comes with the GEM. I'm gonna try that.

< Message edited by Varlun -- 6/10/2014 1:10:30 AM >

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 62
RE: Star Trek - Picard Era (Universe v1.1) - 6/10/2014 12:13:04 AM   
SpottedJag96

Figured it out. Guess I had an extra folder...... Thanks for the help! Great mod. Guess my family won't be seeing me for a few days.

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 63
RE: Star Trek - Picard Era (Universe v1.1) - 6/10/2014 1:24:09 AM   
Varlun

If I could get some help it'd be appreciated... I'm getting those same errors as before, where neither race works and it won't let me start a game. I don't know what specifically I need to change in order to fix this. I don't want to use the Star Trek resources.

Post #: 64
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4 - 6/10/2014 1:25:41 AM   
gyrospeck

Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been hard at work finishing the resources.

Varlum, you should not need to delete the resources.txt file. You will need the 41st image in order to launch the game. Just rename any image of your choice to resource_41 and add it to the folder. <-- Simple option

Alternatively, you can delete the last line in the resources.txt file "41, Deneba Crystal, 41, 200.0, 2, 40, N, N, 0, 0, 0, 2, 1.0, 0.7, 1.0, ". If you do this, make sure to also delete research, components, facilities, & plagues files.

Did you figure out the space slugs?

SpottedJag96, I'm happy to hear to figured it out. Enjoy

< Message edited by gyrospeck -- 6/10/2014 3:51:14 AM >

Post #: 65
RE: Star Trek - Picard Era (Universe v1.1) - 6/10/2014 1:35:38 AM   
Varlun

I did figure out the space slugs, as the modding guide said the game always looking for creatures from the default folder, it doesn't check the modding folder for them. So I just put the Creatures file where I was originally told to.

Also, I sent you a private message on here.

Can you further explain the second option? Why would I have to delete all those files?

Edit: I did exactly as you said, and I'm able to launch the game, but I'm still getting those other errors I was getting before. Can't view the two races, can't start a game. I feel like I have what I need to fix this but I just don't know what to switch out.

< Message edited by Varlun -- 6/10/2014 2:43:38 AM >

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 66
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4 - 6/10/2014 2:49:54 AM   
gyrospeck

Varlun, I looked into Sirian's resource mod. Did you use his help files? If so, try not using them. His mod should work just fine with Star Trek Universe, but the help files will not match.

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 67
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4 - 6/10/2014 3:10:51 AM   
Varlun

I did as you said and used your Help files (directly copy/pasted the entire Help folder from a fresh download into where it's supposed to be. Didn't even merge files, just deleted the old Help file entirely and replaced it.)

No dice...

I'm about to try out this completely fresh install as I did before and see if it works. I assume, you already incorporated your hotfix into the large download. Either way if it doesn't work I'll try applying the hotfix and get back to you.

I've been trying to get this mod to work for two days now haha.

I also sent you an email.

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 68
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4 - 6/10/2014 3:18:29 AM   
gyrospeck

Edit: never mind. Checked and not true.

< Message edited by gyrospeck -- 6/10/2014 4:31:46 AM >

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 69
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4 - 6/10/2014 3:22:21 AM   
Varlun

That's not true, I use his mod with the Extended Mod.

It would be appreciated if you could add me on Steam so we could get through this more quickly. My Steam name is also Varlun.

< Message edited by Varlun -- 6/10/2014 4:23:34 AM >

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 70
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4 - 6/10/2014 3:26:18 AM   
Varlun

Anyway, after setting up a completely fresh install, it works. Everything seems great. I can select the two races, I actually got a game going, and those space slugs have been replaced with... whatever the heck those are.

Except the UI and resource icons are still those awful, childish designs. (In my opinion.)

I actually wouldn't mind using your Star Trek resources if it didn't mean having to use his icon designs.

So I'll now begin the excruciating task of changing one thing at a time, relaunching the game every time to see if I broke something. I will report on every step I take, editing a single post. Probably this one.

---

The first thing I'm going to do is replace the Chrome file with the one from the Graphical Enhancement Mod.

Made the change. Can select both of those races. Can start new game. The UI is now the way I like it, but the resource icons are still Das's.

---

I will attempt to change JUST THE ICONS next, for resources. I won't touch the Help files. I won't touch the resources text file.

I have a feeling this step is going to bring my errors back, because I know there's a different amount of images between the two. The simple solution would probably be to, as you said, just use Das's icon for that last resource. I may very well end up doing that. We'll see.

You are right however, Sirian's icons are .bmp while Das's are .png, but I don't think that's what's causing problems here. I think the problem, is that your resource text file is expecting 41 images. And even after removing that line from the text file, problems persisted.

I'm just going to cop out here and before trying anything else, just keep Das's resource_41, but I'll replace everything else.

However, something strange to note, is that Sirian's resources has two images for gold... resource_14 and resource_14_2. Would this cause errors? My first instinct says no. If the mod doesn't attempt to use either of those images, then it'll just be an extra, unused image sitting there, which isn't a problem at all.

---

It's worth noting that the computer didn't recognize the different resource images as being the same thing- it didn't ask me if I wanted to Replace. I had to delete Das's resources up to 40, then transfer the images over. Once again I left Das's 41st resource image.

The first thing I always do is check to see if I can still select the Cardassian and Zalkonian races. I can.

The fact that the game launched in the first place without giving me a resource_41 missing error is a good sign.

I was able to get into a new game. The resources icons have been successfully changed.

---

Next up is the Help files, since the Galactopedia doesn't match. I again have an instinct that this is going to cause further errors... maybe not. We'll see.

I do remember you saying that the Help files are incompatible, and this is probably- actually, undoubtedly- because you have the resources.txt file set to specifically look for filenames such as Romulan Ale.

I'm wondering if this would be solved by just deleting that text file. I believe this is what I had before and it didn't work...

At this point I believe going further would just open up a huge can of worms that I'm not really willing to fix.

I will settle for my Galactopedia not matching. Or whatever mismatches come up. As long as I don't have to use those terrible... oversimplified resource icons. Again I'm not trying to take a stab at the guy, he made those icons specifically to "make it easier for newer players to determine what the resources are" etc. Well sure, they do that, but in the process they just look less sophisticated and I hate it.

Anyway, not changing the Help files should make it easier to convert to your Star Trek resources once you get them operational.

---

I believe there are other things to be changed but I doubt any of them will cause any issues.

< Message edited by Varlun -- 6/10/2014 5:08:25 AM >

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 71
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4 - 6/10/2014 3:35:48 AM   
gyrospeck

Varlun, I'm sorry you're having trouble figuring it out. I don't use steam enough for it to be faster than here.

If you can wait, do so. New resource images are being worked on for this mod. This includes all 42 resources. They will be based around Star Trek resources and use (mostly) Star Trek source images.

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 72
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4 - 6/10/2014 3:39:48 AM   
Varlun

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for those resources. I may very well end up using them.

What about Skype?

And since I have nothing else I really want to do, I'm going to continue troubleshooting this issue. Besides wanting to get it to work, I also want to actually figure out WHY it isn't working. Not only will this probably help myself out in the future when changing things around with this mod, it'd probably help you out as well, and perhaps other people who end up reading this thread.

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 73
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 5:31:31 AM   
gyrospeck

I've finished converting the resources and fixed a few issues. Notes below.

Varlun, I'm glad to hear that you fixed the most glaring issues. The resource images mentioned in my last post are not ready yet. I'm hoping by the next update, but it depends on Das's time table.

New in 1.4.1:
• Added Korgath & Renegade race files.
• Added / replaced the remaining 22 resources with Star Trek themed resources. All resources have now been converted.
• Updated race & resource files to remove inappropriate past tense.
• Updated planet images (Work by Ra131).
• Corrected a spelling error.

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 74
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 5:56:50 AM   
Varlun

I just hope Das's Star Trek-themed resources aren't so... simple-looking.

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 75
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 8:57:30 AM   
anthonykevinluke

Evening Gyrospeck,

Would you happen to have a list of recommended Govt types for all your races? I know the old versions had an extensive list of recommended Govt and stating tech levels. Thanks in advance either way.

Cheers,

Tony

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 76
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 3:11:43 PM   
gyrospeck

Good morning tony luke,

This is from Igard's Star Trek mod. I have not changed anything that would invalidate his recommended governments or start levels. You can also find this posted on his thread.

(in reply to anthonykevinluke)
Post #: 77
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 5:47:37 PM   
gyrospeck

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but work on Star Trek Universe has been suspended.

Igard has kindly asked me to remove all of his files pertaining to the Picard Era mod. Note: I did not ask for permission before releasing this mod. I’m respecting his wishes and removing this mod.

I may continue work on Star Trek Universe with new assets, but his will take some time.

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 78
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 6:12:54 PM   
vmxa_slith

Sad news indeed.

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 79
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 6:15:51 PM   
necaradan666

Well... you did a good job getting this mod up to current. Like I said earlier, I never thought these kinds of mods felt well enough fleshed out to be worth it before Universe.

What do you think of allowing Igard to use your work on this in his mod when he gets around to releasing something? Bit of a waste of effort having to redo all the assets for a competing mod that does basically the same thing.

Star Trek Universe was a better name though.. I enjoyed it while it lasted.. oh what am I saying, I still have it on my hard drive mwuahahaha.

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 80
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 6:42:36 PM   
Varlun

Honestly a move like this only makes me have ill feelings toward the guy. If he isn't gonna fix it himself then let someone else do it. Or if he's actually working on something, wait until you have something presentable before shutting the other guy down.

Eh whatever not gonna get too worked up over it. As necaradan said, I still have it. :P

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 81
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 6:45:49 PM   
Tophat1815

And how exactly do you know that he hasn't been updating "his" mod? Eh? How do you know that? Do you think it might have come as a surprise that he came back to the forums and saw his work in another mod without having been asked prior to its being used?

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 82
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 6:51:37 PM   
Varlun

I didn't dismiss that possibility, I specifically said that it would have been more appropriate for him to wait until he had something PRESENTABLE (by that I mean, released) out there, before shutting this guy down.

And you could do without that tone.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 83
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 9:24:49 PM   
Varlun

Hey gyro, Igard has offered that you help develop his Star Trek mod. Just making sure you know- check their thread. I think you should take him up on it.

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 84
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/10/2014 9:41:17 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Varlun

I didn't dismiss that possibility, I specifically said that it would have been more appropriate for him to wait until he had something PRESENTABLE (by that I mean, released) out there, before shutting this guy down.

And you could do without that tone.

In the Star Trek The Picard Mod thread, post# 854
quote:

ORIGINAL: Varlun

Igard, what gives? I'm not gonna go on any sort of rant, just let it be known that I'm upset that you didn't let the Star Trek Universe guy use your stuff- AT LEAST until you have something of your own to present!
What a dick move really...

Respectfully speaking Varlun, I think YOU started the opportunity for negative tones and rebuttal by the above
highlighted statement. Igard has many friends on this forum (including myself) that by the time they read that
remark, may or may not respond negatively as well.

Nevertheless, I hope all this will soon be quashed and pass over. Then there will be possibly two (or more)
Star Trek Themed mods (or Star Wars, Eve, X3, etc) for everyone to enjoy. In closing, just want to say that
Tophat1812 did lose his cool a bit. I think it's because he knows how close Igard's Picard Era mod is to
completion (since he's on our team testing it for release) and then read your post. Hopefully we can
all just get along on this matter from here forward.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 6/11/2014 1:46:21 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Varlun)
Post #: 85
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/11/2014 12:38:13 AM   
imdahman

Star Trek Universe is a pretty badass name, and I do think that should be transplanted over to the other mod...

- imdahman
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
-- Arthur C. Clarke

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 86
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/11/2014 12:56:36 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: imdahman

Star Trek Universe is a pretty badass name, and I do think that should be transplanted over to the other mod...

Thanks for your opinion imdahman. It IS a good name. Remember though, we have 4 eras of Star Trek mods. But Igard will be making the final decision as
to what it will be named, and at present, it is what it is.

Just for the record...we have spoken with Gyrospeck and have come to terms on this whole matter.
We look forward to working together to make certain that, from the Star Trek viewpoint at least,
Distant Worlds Universe is fully covered!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 6/11/2014 2:02:56 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to imdahman)
Post #: 87
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/11/2014 1:51:37 AM   
gyrospeck

necaradan666, Igard or anyone else may use my work as long as credit is given.

Varlun, I am the one responsible. I did not seek his permission and instead just used his assets. He's been working on his mod for years, so I respect where he's coming from.

Igard was kind enough to offer ”Once the official Picard Era mod is released you can certainly take whatever you want from the mod and add your own 'twist' to it. So your thread is not dead, just going to sleep for a little bit.”

Additionally, I have offered to contribute and test Igard’s Star Trek mods. I’m sure we can accomplish more together than separate.

Thank you all for your support.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 88
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/11/2014 8:29:52 PM   
Hannable

quote:

ORIGINAL: gyrospeck

necaradan666, Igard or anyone else may use my work as long as credit is given.

Varlun, I am the one responsible. I did not seek his permission and instead just used his assets. He's been working on his mod for years, so I respect where he's coming from.

Igard was kind enough to offer ”Once the official Picard Era mod is released you can certainly take whatever you want from the mod and add your own 'twist' to it. So your thread is not dead, just going to sleep for a little bit.”

Additionally, I have offered to contribute and test Igard’s Star Trek mods. I’m sure we can accomplish more together than separate.

Thank you all for your support.

Glad to hear it was all settled. Admittedly, I've seen more than my share of great mods, and even entire modding websites be utterly destroyed by people bickering over credits. The real victim is the community which misses out on awesome work, dedication and fantastic mods. Thus I am relieved to know that work will continue. No sense in a duplication of effort - might as well have all involved working on one singular super-mod for the Star Trek milieu.

(in reply to gyrospeck)
Post #: 89
RE: Star Trek Universe v1.4.1 - 6/13/2014 3:13:31 PM   
Solarius Scorch

Can we have any sort of schedule on when the next version of the mod is going to be released, or any other info?

Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

(in reply to Hannable)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek - Picard Era (Universe v1.1) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI