Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What is your favorite race and why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What is your favorite race and why? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 7:36:23 PM   
I_Am_King_Midas

What is your favorite race and why? What makes one race distinct from another? Does how aggressive, cautious, etc. a race is affect how you play or just how the AI acts?

Post #: 1
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 8:35:52 PM   
pycco

i like the lipid the best form the DW:U expanded mod. i just like the whole idea of a sentient parasite taking over other species, while benefiting both species. i picture more of a Goa'uld like being than an friendly one imo.

(in reply to I_Am_King_Midas)
Post #: 2
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 8:45:42 PM   
Kingah

Teekans because of the income and mining bonus. Really makes it easier (atleast for me) to get a proper economy and supply routes up and running which will fund my massive building projects.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 3
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 8:48:08 PM   
I_Am_King_Midas

Do games feel that different from race to race?

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 4
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 9:35:13 PM   
martok

The Quameno. Because they're "nice guys", and because I tend to be a research slut in strategy games.

quote:

ORIGINAL: I_Am_King_Midas

They do to me, at least. YMMV, of course; but between their special abilities, race-specific techs, and (especially) the varying racial victory conditions (which are the only ones I enable anymore), the races play out about as differently as you can hope for in a 4x game.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post #: 5
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 9:43:10 PM   
Tehlongone

Human out of a xenophobic patriotism, I usually mod them with a gimped growth rate and leave the other races normal.
My non-human favourites are Dhayut and Wekkarus, as I like arachnids and squids. Much like humans they fit well with a paranoid and xenophobic outlook.

Aside from that I don't really let the race personality affect my play too much as I'm roleplaying a government anyway.

Post #: 6
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 9:48:44 PM   
Cauldyth

I don't know what you're talking about, squid aren't xenophobic. What do you think all those arms are for if not for hugging people?

I'm currently having a lot of fun with the Yl'ta from the extended mod.

(in reply to Tehlongone)
Post #: 7
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 10:25:42 PM   
Tcby

I'm enjoying the Banoserit from DW extended. Their unique long range scanners are cool, and their particular mechanic (galactic reputation is far more important to your citizens than for other races) leads to interesting gameplay decisions. Because the ancient guardians hate your authoritarian government type, it really feels like you're playing the hard line arbiters of galactic affairs, goody two shoes be damned . Being discouraged from taking colonies early via a game mechanic (rather than simply deciding not to) also lets me have fun without having to artificially gimp myself.

As for original races, I quite like the Ikkuro because a) they are ridiculously good, and b) they like to pull technology apart, tinker, and improve it. I go really heavy with ship capture in most of my games, so it suits the theme. My only problem with them is that they are a little too good. Their inherent bonuses + starting governor lead to games that are guaranteed to snowball very easily. Their early access to a component that is both useful and otherwise unavailable until much much later is also strong. As such I'm thinking of playing around with the Shandar, or Wekkarus.

Quameno are too good for me to go near. I stop almost every game the moment I know I've won. It simply isn't enjoyable anymore. If I've explored a fair chunk of the galaxy before anyone has left their system, I have trouble enjoying myself.

< Message edited by Tcby -- 6/9/2014 11:28:17 PM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 8
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 10:31:45 PM   
Mansen

My own races.

Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 9
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 10:42:01 PM   
Retreat1970

<--- for a challenge, but the pop growth of these guys paired with leaders with +pop, income, and happiness modifiers makes me happy.

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 10
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 11:30:49 PM   
ceyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: I_Am_King_Midas

Some are samey, some can be quite different. A race with a negative income or extra maintenance charge can be very different from an "average" race. Science heavy/weak and races which easily make friends/enemies can make the game play out quite differently when under player control.

Post #: 11
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 11:34:49 PM   
NewZodiac

Teekans.

The extra cash and increased mining is just too good...

Also, it's so satisfying to rule the galaxy as the Teekans. It's like if Jawas ruled the galaxy, it's so ridiculous that it's awesome.

(in reply to ceyan)
Post #: 12
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 11:36:21 PM   
Nanaki

As pirate, Zenox, as the race you pick as pirate does not seem to matter much as most of the racial bonuses do not work with them, and I always had a soft spot in my heart for the catmen.

As empire, if I were a munchkin I would probably go Quameno, simply because their massive research bonus plus Technocracy is way too good, but aside from that, I normally play human, modest research bonus combined with intelligence bonus lets me keep ahead.

I am working on a small balance mod that will tweak the races a bit to make them more balanced.

I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 13
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 11:36:44 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

Zenox, because I love their shields, the technocracy, and their nice judging kitty faces.

(in reply to NewZodiac)
Post #: 14
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/9/2014 11:38:58 PM   
Andy06r

My favorite two are Ugnari and Shandar.

The shandar playstyle of acquiring luxuries and then pitching a tent in a utopian paradise with 80-90% taxes is fun.

Ugnari is a hybrid trade / research race that starts off slow but ramps up as they stack the high tech bonus.

In general I enjoy ice/volcanic races.and avoid continental/marsh.

(in reply to ceyan)
Post #: 15
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 2:20:14 AM   
Unforeseen

In my epic games(super long] i play Human's for RP purposes, but my favorite race to play is the Teekans. There is something about being a greedy rat...

(in reply to Andy06r)
Post #: 16
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 2:23:46 AM   
Gizuria

I'm a Gizurian player. I like to play as the bad guy and these guys can stay at war for a long, long time before war weariness kicks in. Their racial victory conditions support a warmonger playstyle. Lower ship maintainance helps a lot too.

I've played too many strategy games as the 'good' guys in the past so it makes a change to play as the evil empire and a lot of fun too. If someone does something to irritate you in the game, it's war!

(in reply to Andy06r)
Post #: 17
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 2:47:36 AM   
Unforeseen

I hate the insectoid races so much that if i encounter them on an allies planet i will declare war on them, capture the planet and exterminate the population. In the late game i am more inclined to just destroy the planet even. That way there are no mistakes.

To be honest, it's because of a childhood vendetta against insect races in 4x games. Back when i was playing Moo3 when it first came out i allied a bug race called the klackons early on in the game. But some time later they randomly brought a small fleet of ships to my homeworld and broke our alliance to bombard me. My retribution was total, not one single klackon in the entire galaxy survived. I've held this attitude in every game i've played since.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 6/10/2014 3:50:41 AM >

(in reply to Gizuria)
Post #: 18
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 4:06:11 AM   
Cauldyth

I feel the same way about humans. Damn psychotic apes.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 19
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 5:47:38 AM   
pycco

hahahaha, ya i love the insectoid races they are so neat and statistically this would be a race that actual excites based on there evolution rate. http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/news/061201_quietcrickets

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 20
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 7:01:23 AM   
Darknote

@Unforeseen, we share the same anger towards the insectoids. They cannot be trusted.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 21
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 8:53:43 AM   
garfield666

i like focusing on research so either quameno (although i consider playing as them 'cheap'), kiadians or the zenox.

(in reply to Darknote)
Post #: 22
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 12:37:54 PM   
UmpaLumpa

I like the Shakturi and the Mortalen much!

(in reply to garfield666)
Post #: 23
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 1:01:15 PM   
Jim D Burns

Good guy games I usually play as humans.

Bad guy games I like the Boskara, but with a self imposed house rule. The Boskara must declare war on anyone they run into except other bugs, enslave and penal colonies are mandated. No peace treaties allowed total conquest is the fate of all inferior races. Makes for a fun but tough game.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 6/10/2014 2:02:25 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 2:57:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

Great to see a variety of responses here. We've tried to make the races different enough from each other in terms of playstyle that there should be one for just about everyone. Of course with Universe you can also fully customize your own.

I've played every race in the game, but when I'm sitting down to just play for fun and not testing, I do tend to play the Humans, the Mortalens, the Dhayut, the Ikkuro, the Zenox and the Naxxilians a bit more than the others.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 25
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 3:48:00 PM   
Max 86

I wish we could start this thread over and ask everyone to include the government type they use with each race. Be interesting to hear everyone's thinking on that choice along with race selected.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 26
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 3:52:22 PM   
Dd_01

I usually play as Wekkarus with Republic or Monarchy - xenophobic crustaceans are fine with elected leader or king of some sort.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 27
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 5:34:46 PM   
Unforeseen

Humans either corporate or republic. Will occasionally play monarchy..

Teekans i almost always play as a guild.

(in reply to Dd_01)
Post #: 28
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 5:44:00 PM   
I_Am_King_Midas

I think it would be fun if there was a race with a lovecraftian feel.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 29
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 7:06:55 PM   
pycco

LOL, there are a few races that have a goal to spend the least time at and have the most friendly pacts.

i prefer to play as hive mind gov, or democracy. i pick a random goverment for races without a special government type.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What is your favorite race and why? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI