Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Colonizing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Colonizing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colonizing - 6/12/2014 5:27:22 AM   
Fleshbits

I see two independant colonies and as I understand it, they should be a priority for the pop boost. However, both say that I cannot colonize that they are in foreign territory. I don't understand that because I explored around them and no empires are present that I can see. Are they themselves the foreign territory?

Should I troop ship them in that case?

Can I troop ship an independent if IT IS within another empire and will it piss off that empire?

Given the choice between building troops and dropships for a pop of 2000M on an 80% world vs building a colony ship for a 98% world that is empty, which do you choose?
Post #: 1
RE: Colonizing - 6/12/2014 5:38:36 AM   
pycco

yes you can invade any planet regardless of who territory they are in.

i always invade any indy world even if it the same race as me it takes considerable less time than building a colonizer and that colonizer can give me a different planet.

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 2
RE: Colonizing - 6/12/2014 7:31:25 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fleshbits

I see two independant colonies and as I understand it, they should be a priority for the pop boost. However, both say that I cannot colonize that they are in foreign territory. I don't understand that because I explored around them and no empires are present that I can see. Are they themselves the foreign territory?

Should I troop ship them in that case?

Can I troop ship an independent if IT IS within another empire and will it piss off that empire?

Given the choice between building troops and dropships for a pop of 2000M on an 80% world vs building a colony ship for a 98% world that is empty, which do you choose?

Whether you should grab a new colony depends on whether you think you can defend it, mostly against pirates. Distance from home can also be a factor, a tiny colony all by itself, and "far from home" may not be very easy to keep hold of in war, and not give any serious income ever.

Unless you want to role play a piece loving bunch, feel free to invade an independent in enemy territory. The other empire won't care that much.

If I think I can defend them, and they are in a decent spot, I would both invade and colonize. The independent with 80% and 2000M will be a decent source of income relatively soon. Not right away mind you, but it is on its way.

The 98% colony will be very profitable when full, and I would give high priority at any prospective colony in the high 90s. One thing to keep in mind, is that if this colony location is in your territory there is no hurry, no one else can take it unless taking the colony making that zone of influence first. When colonizing, think about:

- Can you afford it? Depending on pirates it may require a lot of defensive ships.
- Is it of high quality?
- Would colonizing add a good chunk of space (and non-empty star systems) to the empire?

For independents think about the same things, but consider to avoid terrible (sub 65%) quality rather than aim for high quality. If you can defend it, and it is close to home, grab it so that no one else does...

For instance, a 63% 1000M independent sitting in a star system all by itself, will never give any significant income, and will only provide a possible future fuel stop on the way to other things "further back". This could easily happen in, for instance, a cluster map.

A challenge in "grabbing territory", is that it is very hard to (as a Human, for instance) know if there is a 99% desert prospect in a system without having the ability to colonize deserts. This makes "grabbing good space" tricky to judge. Unless you love to click through everything in many star systems. I don't ;-)

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 3
RE: Colonizing - 6/12/2014 9:10:05 AM   
Kantay

I agree that you should put "space control" as your top priority when grabbing land. It will take a lot of time even for a 98% colony to start making serious cash, so there is no need to rush it, you just have to make sure you are able to grab as many of those as possible. Capturing independents is good because first, they project decent borders and second, you deny them to other empires/pirates.

So to answer OP's question, it depends on the planets location. I would grab the one that is outside my current borders to grab more land. Also is the 98% planet of a type that some neighbour might colonize?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Colonizing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI