Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/6/2013 2:54:22 PM   
Mundy

Yep, the USN DDs and DEs were landing shot after shot on the Japanese ships while dodging and zigzagging all the way in.  I think it says something about the USN fire control.

I had read somewhere about when the IJN caught USS Asheville (PG-21) early in the way, their shooting was especially bad.

Ed-

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 31
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/6/2013 5:17:48 PM   
btbw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

I had read somewhere about when the IJN caught USS Asheville (PG-21) early in the way, their shooting was especially bad.

Ed-

Urban legends

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 32
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/6/2013 5:59:00 PM   
Buckrock

quote:

Ed-

Are you sure it was the Asheville?

There was only one American survivor from her (that the Japanese bothered to pull out of the water) and
he'd not witnessed the battle, being below decks in the fireroom until the order came to abandon ship.

The Asheville took sufficient damage from the guns of the two Japanese destroyers that she was abandoned and sunk around 30 minutes of the start of the engagement. On the face of it, that is a fairly quick dispatching of a destroyer sized warship from 5" gunfire alone.

Did what you read indicate that it was the Japanese who felt their shooting was especially bad?

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 33
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/6/2013 8:07:29 PM   
Mundy

Apologies.  I'm mixing up my early war engagements.  I was referring to USS_Edsall (DD-219)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Edsall_(DD-219)

Ed-

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 34
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/6/2013 10:01:54 PM   
btbw

Small target with maneur on range with 45sec from firing to splashing. Why it must wonder?

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 35
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/7/2013 9:07:15 AM   
inqistor

I am not sure, why different guns on the same ship in-game have actually different accuracy. After all they are not shooting individually on different targets (well, except planes). And why several guns in turret have the same accuracy, as single gun...

But if you check deeper - theoretical RoF, and practical RoF can have GREAT difference.

Just check 16"/45 description:

quote:

4) During her battle with the Japanese battleship Kirishima, USS Washington (BB-56) opened fire at a gun range of 18,500 yards (16,900 m) using radar ranges and optical train and hits were definitely obtained by the third salvo. In the first part of the battle, Washington fired 42 rounds in approximately 3 minutes (precise time not available) or 1.56 rpmpg. During the second phase Washington fired 75 rounds in 5 minutes 24 seconds, or 1.54 rpmpg. Washington fired a total of 117 out of a possible 131 shells, or 89%. Of the 14 missed salvos, the most notable was the center gun of turret 3 which missed five salvos due to a ball check valve being jarred loose by the the firing shock, causing a loss of hydraulic pressure for that gun. This loss of pressure prevented the pointer from matching up in the load position. One other gun had a misfire which caused it to miss two salvos. The other failures were primarily "error in drill" related.

Table shows guns were below 15 degrees for such range, yet this is FAR below 2 RPM

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 36
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/7/2013 9:22:34 AM   
wdolson

The Washington was a special case too. During the shakedown Admiral Lee drilled his gun crews so they could get a faster rate of fire out of the 16 inch guns than the spec said was possible. The Washington was the fastest firing battleship in the USN.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 37
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/7/2013 10:21:11 AM   
Buckrock

quote:

Apologies.  I'm mixing up my early war engagements.  I was referring to USS_Edsall (DD-219)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Edsall_(DD-219)

Ed-

That would be the one. Even the Japanese acknowledged it was a bad performance, bad enough for them to review their doctrinal engagement ranges as well as their long range firing techniques.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 38
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/7/2013 10:30:09 AM   
Buckrock

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The Washington was a special case too. During the shakedown Admiral Lee drilled his gun crews so they could get a faster rate of fire out of the 16 inch guns than the spec said was possible. The Washington was the fastest firing battleship in the USN.

Bill

And it probably showed. During the battle of 14/15th Nov, the South Dakota was getting her salvoes off at an average rate about 10% slower than the Washington when engaging the same light force targets to the north, the only time she had all her various radars working.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 39
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/8/2013 7:41:26 AM   
steverodgers801

Don't discount the luck factor. One hit wiped out both of Bismark's forward batteries early in the fight. First hit could be crucial especially in a critical spot.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 40
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 9/8/2013 1:36:17 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: steverodgers80

Don't discount the luck factor. One hit wiped out both of Bismark's forward batteries early in the fight. First hit could be crucial especially in a critical spot.

As witness HMS Hood....

(in reply to steverodgers801)
Post #: 41
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/12/2014 2:29:21 PM   
SUNRAY225DF

Hi from across the big pond in the uk
I am x para airborne,
my visit to pearl harbour last year I went on the Big Mo, one great ship i cant find this ship in the game?
my farther was in Burma and I know he came across pow camps. The japs where very brutal to the prisoners so I think this game is a tribute
to them all that gave there every thing in that war god bless them all, please keep this game going for them as well as us gamers.

< Message edited by SUNRAY225DF -- 6/12/2014 3:33:36 PM >

Airborne 1st in last out

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 42
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/12/2014 2:35:32 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: SUNRAY225DF

I am x para airborne,
my visit to pearl harbour last year I went on the Big Mo, one great ship i cant find this ship in the game?
my farther was in Burma and I know he came across pow camps. The japs where very brutal to the prisoners so I think this game is a tribute
to them all that gave there every thing in that war god bless them all, please keep this game going for them as well as us gamers.

Hi and welcome to the forum. The "Big Mo" is in the game and comes on as a reinforcement in 10/44 in most all scenarios. Glad you like the game. Stick around and play a few scenarios.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to SUNRAY225DF)
Post #: 43
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/12/2014 4:35:56 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: SUNRAY225DF
I am x para airborne,

Hi across the pond, SUNRAY225DF. Welcome. I am x US para arty, 319th AFAR. Nice to see another Brit maroon shield as an avatar. Quite a spread of people on these forums. Quite a few have 'been there and done that'. If you are interested in the game, you may well find a comfortable 'homes familias' within the universe. Ciao. JWE

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to SUNRAY225DF)
Post #: 44
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/12/2014 5:28:55 PM   
czert2

why was 6in on yamato usless ?

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 45
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/12/2014 5:45:45 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpt Sherwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

This webpage is highly recommended for any BB vs BB analysis

http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm

Interesting note from that site:

"In addition, it needs to be noted that at ranges above 15,000 yards or so, one would not be able to fire at full speed given the need to watch the fall of shot of previous salvos, which might take as long as a minute to reach their destinations. Firing cycles, then, are somewhat misleading in significance for large-caliber weapons such as these."

All BBs went into "rapid fire" once the distance was determined. The Iowas had very good radar fire control and would enter "rapid fire" immediately. The Battle of Surigao Straight with three American BBs using Mark 8 fire control system is instructive.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-079.htm

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 46
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/12/2014 5:52:42 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: czert2

why was 6in on yamato usless ?

They're for doing a CLs job. Dual Purpose 5"s would be better, with more barrels too, for the weight. That's my feeling anyway.

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 47
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/12/2014 5:54:20 PM   
geofflambert

Just a note. I believe Bismark could pump out 2.5 rounds per minute.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 48
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/12/2014 6:58:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: steverodgers80

As witness HMS Hood....

warspite1

....and HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Exeter

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 49
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/12/2014 10:45:59 PM   
wdolson

To elaborate...

The Battle of Jutland demonstrated that secondary armament was useless. Engagement was usually at a range best for the main armament. Secondary guns were just window dressing at that point.

Aircraft changed that, but the secondary armament needed to be primarily anti-aircraft. The Battle Off Samar did demonstrate that some sort of close in guns to deal with a DD that got close is useful, but dual purpose 5 inch guns serve that role perfectly. At Samar the Johnston got close enough to the Kongo that the Kongo could not depress her guns enough to hit the Johnston. The Johnston ran out of ammo and was peppering the Kongo with everything left in the magazine including training rounds.

Against a fully modernized US BB that would have probably been impossible because the 5 inch AA guns probably would have been able to deal with the DD.

6 inch guns up higher than the main guns as the Yamato had were useless for all purposes. They were incapable of depressing far enough to engage close targets and they didn't have the range to engage targets the main guns were shooting at. It's added weight with virtually no purpose.

The 6 inch guns that went on the Yamato and Musashi were, I believe, left over from the upgunning of the Mogami class just before the war. The Mogamis were built with 6 inch guns so they could be classified as CLs, but the Japanese upgunned them to 8 inch guns just before the war started. The turrets were surplus at that point.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 50
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/13/2014 12:10:29 AM   
witpqs

quote:

To elaborate...

The Battle of Jutland demonstrated that secondary armament was useless. Engagement was usually at a range best for the main armament. Secondary guns were just window dressing at that point.

Aircraft changed that, but the secondary armament needed to be primarily anti-aircraft. The Battle Off Samar did demonstrate that some sort of close in guns to deal with a DD that got close is useful, but dual purpose 5 inch guns serve that role perfectly. At Samar the Johnston got close enough to the Kongo that the Kongo could not depress her guns enough to hit the Johnston. The Johnston ran out of ammo and was peppering the Kongo with everything left in the magazine including training rounds.

Against a fully modernized US BB that would have probably been impossible because the 5 inch AA guns probably would have been able to deal with the DD.

6 inch guns up higher than the main guns as the Yamato had were useless for all purposes. They were incapable of depressing far enough to engage close targets and they didn't have the range to engage targets the main guns were shooting at. It's added weight with virtually no purpose.

The 6 inch guns that went on the Yamato and Musashi were, I believe, left over from the upgunning of the Mogami class just before the war. The Mogamis were built with 6 inch guns so they could be classified as CLs, but the Japanese upgunned them to 8 inch guns just before the war started. The turrets were surplus at that point.

Bill

I forget the details, but Washington (and maybe South Dakota) at Guadalcanal engaged IJN destroyers with her 5 inch batteries.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 51
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/13/2014 8:07:00 AM   
JuanG

quote:

Actually, the depression case is actually the one situation where they might be useful. These guns were capable of 7 degrees depression, which puts their 'minimum range' at only 400 feet or so (~125m or so) from the superfiring turret, less from the deck mounted ones. This is about half of that of the minimum range on the main battery, not to mention how much more practical 5-6 rounds per minute would be over 2 per minute.

As for maximum range - they could reach out to 30,000yards which is enough to cover any kind of practical engagement range.

Obviously, a dual purpose arrangement would still be better, both in terms of weight and utility.

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
All BBs went into "rapid fire" once the distance was determined. The Iowas had very good radar fire control and would enter "rapid fire" immediately. The Battle of Surigao Straight with three American BBs using Mark 8 fire control system is instructive.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-079.htm

'Rapid fire' in the context of battleships typically means full salvos after waiting for the preceding one to land and be spotted/corrected, as opposed to the half or one-third salvos often fired for establishing range. Obviously at ranges where time of flight is shorter than loading cycle the loading cycle is the practical limit, but at longer ranges a gain of 10-25% in rate of fire is not worth the loss in accuracy (basically having your adjustments an additional firing cycle behind).

For CAs and particularly CLs, the situation is different, as for example at 20,000yards a Cleveland firing and spotting would be cutting fire volume to ~15% of maximum (compared to an Iowa essetially being unaffected at that range, and cutting it to ~70% at 30,000yards). This is why after initial ranging salvos, the CLs would just cut loose, and then check fire intermittently or when the target became too obscured by impacts.

< Message edited by JuanG -- 6/13/2014 9:18:26 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 52
RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa - 6/13/2014 4:15:59 PM   
Dili

Almost all countries have example of good and bad shooting and it is irrespective of weapon and fire control. There are times where 8" Japanese shoot well and times where it shoot badly. Same for Americans.
At big distance hits are mostly luck.

quote:

Ultimately it was radar tied to a primitive computer that solved the problem

What solved the problem is the missile or guided projectiles. It is impossible to predict the future position of a ship since it might change course.
5 British cruisers tried to catch 3 slower Italian destroyers and expended 5000 rounds of 6" to sunk 1 of destroyers that was just making a delaying action to let the others escape.

< Message edited by Dili -- 6/13/2014 5:20:42 PM >

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Rate of Fire: Yamato vs. Iowa Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI