Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All You new DW players satisifed?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: All You new DW players satisifed? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All You new DW players satisifed? - 6/10/2014 10:25:04 AM   
Rhi

I mostly like the game, although there're several things that annoy me:

1) The inability to turn off the WoA/WoD and super weapons ruins/line.

2) AI is rather incompetent beyond basic actions, making it an easy win unless you restrict yourself on some actions. Examples? Well, you can see how people consider Quameno overpowered yet any race with espionage totally dominates them with sabotage/revolution/steal tech - yet AI never does anything like that. It's also rather cute to see how they chase a group of 5 ships with all their fleets only to get their homeworld bombed into oblivion meanwhile

3) The implementation of warp inhibition. Yes, the area effect is nice. But the fact it turns off every time the ship receives order is dumb.

4) Diplomacy is very limited and overally clumsy.

That said, I still quite like the game on the whole and enjoy playing it.

(in reply to pasty11)
Post #: 31
RE: All You new DW players satisifed? - 6/10/2014 11:00:48 AM   
fenrislokison

personnally, i can understand Ezz.

When i first started Distant Worlds a few years ago(?), i was overwhelmed by the mass of data and learning curve, i was disappointed by the graphics and UI and leaving the default settings for the automation just push me away from the game even more since i didn't understood why things happened.

Does that means Distant Worlds is a bad game? Surely not, but at that time, i was not in the mood of spending hours trying to learn the game. A game, as the name implies, is supposed to be fun. Spending hours of free time to learn is not always fun. Forcing yourself to play is definetely not fun.

Finally, when i was in a better mood (i mean i was completely bored and ready to do anything) i spend time to get used to the game and finally started to enjoy it.

I felt the same about a lot of paradox games like Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Victoria and Crusader Kings, especially Crusader Kings. As a matter of fact, i played Crusader Kings 2 for about 10 minutes, was completely overwhelmed and stopped playing it to this day.
But i know it's a good game, i just need to be in the good mood to learn it before starting to really enjoying it. It may takes months or even years before i do, but i know that forcing myself to play it will only disgust me from the game.

So if i have an advice for ezz, it would be to keep DW installed on your PC (so you can start it without having going through the reinstallment), forget it for now and wait until you feel like learning it.

(in reply to Seraph86)
Post #: 32
RE: All You new DW players satisifed? - 6/13/2014 4:39:30 PM   
rcuadro

I also learned about this game at RPS and I'm enjoying it.

(in reply to Zazen)
Post #: 33
RE: All You new DW players satisifed? - 6/13/2014 5:16:02 PM   
Canaris_PL

Yes. I am very very satisfied.

DW beautifully places itself between hardcore-slow-micromanagment-heavy "Aurora 4x" ( which i love ) and balls-to-the-wall-crazy-awesome-hyper-quick-expansion Star Ruler.
Starting Pre-warp with ****load of pirates and Space Creatures around makes it an awesome experience full of tense moments, unexpected discoveries and Roleplaying potential ;)

DW is one of the reasons im happy that long time ago i switched from consoles to PC gaming ;)

(in reply to rcuadro)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: All You new DW players satisifed? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI