Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve please) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve ple... - 6/12/2014 1:42:12 PM   
Chickenboy

No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve please...

In one of my scenario 2 PBEMs (latest official patch), the date is October 14, 1942.

CVL Ryuho has recently arrived in game after accelerated production. Surprisingly, she's sans airgroups. This is unexpected, as I had come to expect all CV/CVL and most CVEs in a scenario 2 game to come with their organic airgroups.

Looking at the "group reinforcement" list I see her two airgroups are anticipated on 1 November 1943. 13 months from now. This probably corresponds to her unaccelerated arrival date, but I'm not sure.

Is Ryuho the only one that I can expect this extreme delay of her organic airgroups? Is she a unique case? If not, which others can I expect this disconnect between ship: airgroup arrival? This does impact her utility and undermines the value of acceleration. It would be nice to know if there are other ships that I can "back off" on acceleration with this same deficit.

Post #: 1
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/12/2014 1:45:52 PM   
Miller

When I have accelerated the Unyru's/Taiho in previous games they have arrived with their airgroups. I think that issue you have only applies to the Ryuho and some of the CVEs.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/12/2014 2:25:05 PM   
offenseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

When I have accelerated the Unyru's/Taiho in previous games they have arrived with their airgroups. I think that issue you have only applies to the Ryuho and some of the CVEs.

That is also my experience and one must always be aware of which Air groups do not arrive with their ship in regards which ships to accelerate. That ship bit me a few PBEMs ago too!

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/12/2014 2:41:27 PM   
crsutton

Just guessing but I bet this has something to do with the severe shortage of carrier aircraft that Japan experienced in 1942 and early 43 due to losses and slow production. The game allows your changes in production but most OOB arrival schedules are based on the actual historical timetable.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 4
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/12/2014 3:43:50 PM   
nashvillen

You need to play Japanese carrier group tricks and bring one home that has a capacity that 1/3 is over what you need. Bring that carrier to port with lots of supply, fly two of the groups off, leave one group on and resize it to the full size of the ship. Repeat with the other classes of aircraft you wish to use. You have been training pilots, right? Fill with experienced and trained pilots. Load up 1/3 of the aircraft on the host carrier, load 1/3 on the receiving carrier, leave 1/3 at port for the next one.

More details, look at one of the set up spread sheets, I forget which one and I am sleep deprived right now. There is a great sequence there on doing such things.

Hope that helps, CB!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/12/2014 3:49:04 PM   
czert2

So far this is onlyest ship with delayed air groups, all others have eighter organick which will come when accelated or not at all. But you can allways look at editor to be sure.
So simply put land based carrier capable planes on it and enjoy ride until true CAG arive :).

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/12/2014 6:09:00 PM   
Chickenboy

Thanks, guys. Good to know. I will certainly use the requisite 'tools' to put some LBA air units onto her and use her until her organic groups come around in their own good time.

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 7
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/13/2014 4:38:38 PM   
Dili

Go to the CV arrivals. Check every CV to see if it has squadrons or not.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/13/2014 8:22:50 PM   
Gaspote

I use the Ryuho with the Hosho. Hosho-1(fighters) on the Hosho and Hosho-2 (bombers) on the Ryuho with max size. They are only doing support mission so it work well.

< Message edited by Gaspote -- 6/13/2014 9:23:59 PM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 9
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/13/2014 9:05:55 PM   
SenToku

My plan for Ryuho, scen 2;
1) Train D4Y1-C's on Hosho + Ryoho.
2) Use Ryoho as KB's Scout carrier once D4Y-C' units carrier trained.
3) Empty one Chitoise class CS ship from FP's before sending her into yard for CVL conversion (use FPs as ASW).
4) Use Hosho to carrier train more scout squardns (squardons from 1942 have withdrawal date of sep 1943).
5) Nov. 1943. Ryoho gets her planes, move scouts to Chitoise (should be coming out of yard about same time).
6) Ryoho turns into regular CVL, Chitoise takes over as scout CVL.

(in reply to Gaspote)
Post #: 10
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/13/2014 9:13:34 PM   
Chickenboy

Good thoughts SenToku. I have elected to, for the time being, use the resized Hosho groups (x2) for now. The D4Y1-c is a thoughtful addition too.

(in reply to SenToku)
Post #: 11
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/13/2014 9:27:44 PM   
Gaspote

I'm using D4Y1-C without being carrier trained. Although don't know if you plan is to use a full squadron of them, i'm only using them in group of 3 on CVE.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12
RE: IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve... - 6/13/2014 9:40:09 PM   
SenToku

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gaspote

I'm using D4Y1-C without being carrier trained. Although don't know if you plan is to use a full squadron of them, i'm only using them in group of 3 on CVE.

If PDU is on, I will use every IJN RC squadron as D4Y1-C and carrier train them (in naval search). They replace the CS ships as "Eyes" of all carrier forces as they can do naval search and have huge range with drop tanks. Pure carrier planes are not really affected by weather, so your recon range is increased and is missions are flown with more certainty. They will only be replaced by C6N1 (even longer range and faster). I don't use them with CVE as CVEs (expect Hosho, which really is "real" carrier, albeit old one) are too slow to follow KB.

Regular recon is then left to army sentais.

(in reply to Gaspote)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> IJN CV airgroup question (No SqzMyLemon or AW1Steve please) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI