Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ? - 6/15/2014 6:27:17 AM   
Tokyo Boy

Hello great admirals

How can I defeat the US carriers ? I want to beat them before march 1942 to be able to strike San Francisco and then Washington .
My idee is to convert my CV to CVE (Heavy)= disembark bombers and fill them with fighters squadrons.

If I can X4 the CAP capacity I can slash any US bombers waves and then sink the US carriers with fast CL/DD...
Or maybe just keep 1 TB squad inside each carrier to use torpedos and the rest could be fighters !

I can wait 3 months to make fighters squadrons carrier trained or maybe use bombers pilots to fill fighters squadrons

Is this stupid ?

Post #: 1
RE: Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ? - 6/15/2014 6:52:13 AM   
Yaab

I think you have to maximise torpedo hits by your torpedo bombers. Japanese torpedoes will always penetrate belt armor of Allied CVs unlike your 250 kg bombs that will bounce of belt armor (seems like 30% of bomb hits strike belt armor, 70% hit deck armor). Each exploding torpedo always give additional damage resulting in major engine and major flood damage. On the other hand, many penetrating hits by 250kg bombs do not give any additional damage, resulting only in system damage accumulation without any side effects to Allied CV operations.

In my games, the most single powerful anti-aircraft Allied ship, the Prince of Wales, boasting the AA rating of 2113 points, sinks after having been hit by six torpedoes. I guess it takes 40-70 x 250kg bombs hits to achieve the same results.

So, pack some more Kates and Zeros on your CV, and fire away. To war!

< Message edited by Yaab -- 6/15/2014 7:53:20 AM >

(in reply to Tokyo Boy)
Post #: 2
RE: Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ? - 6/15/2014 8:58:23 AM   
obvert

More fighters is not a bad option, but you still need a strike package. It can't be all fighters. Your DBs, if they hit first, slow ships down and make it easier for the TBs to hit.

Surface ships have trouble engaging let alone sinking CVs. It happens, but you can't rely on it strategically.

The KB should be more than equal to the US CVs in 42, so get them all together and go hunting, but know that some DB will get through and you will lose CVs too, especially with Japanese damage control being what it is. Fires kill IJN ships. An even trade goes in the favor of the Allies.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
RE: Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ? - 6/15/2014 10:20:35 AM   
wdolson

As was real life.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4
RE: Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ? - 6/15/2014 12:00:49 PM   
guctony

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tokyo Boy

Hello great admirals

How can I defeat the US carriers ? I want to beat them before march 1942 to be able to strike San Francisco and then Washington .
My idee is to convert my CV to CVE (Heavy)= disembark bombers and fill them with fighters squadrons.

If I can X4 the CAP capacity I can slash any US bombers waves and then sink the US carriers with fast CL/DD...
Or maybe just keep 1 TB squad inside each carrier to use torpedos and the rest could be fighters !

I can wait 3 months to make fighters squadrons carrier trained or maybe use bombers pilots to fill fighters squadrons

Is this stupid ?

I have been there max Cap capacity will not assure %100 immunity. Your planes has to be lethal. Zero is not a good choise for that. I havent tried it but until A7 Sam is avaible or in RA you can get Georges which come very late Zeros doesnt have enough potential to sustain defence. They are for what they designed for delivering strike package. And in current beta there will be always allied planes that will slip though your cap. And a clever allied player will cap his or her strike package ( as one of my clever opponent did) and will balance the cards. Our Best bet is to get Sams and 800 kilo dive bombers as soon as possible and limit the use of TB. Because as I tried before TB needs Dive bombers to soften the air defence before being affective. As a IJ player under no case IJN should not involve with American Strike force without Land Base air support. To crack it we need land based support. Otherwise you have to be a very good card player to calculate risks. Because I have seen Allied CVs running away with 4 torpedo hits.

"Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is murder."
"Sovereignty is not given, it is taken."
"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal

(in reply to Tokyo Boy)
Post #: 5
RE: Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ? - 6/15/2014 12:06:16 PM   
guctony

quote:

ORIGINAL: guctony

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tokyo Boy

Hello great admirals

Is this stupid ?

I have been there max Cap capacity will not assure %100 immunity. Your planes has to be lethal. Zero is not a good choise for that. I havent tried it but until A7 Sam is avaible or in RA you can get Georges which come very late Zeros doesnt have enough potential to sustain defence. They are for what they designed for delivering strike package. And in current beta there will be always allied planes that will slip though your cap. And a clever allied player will cap his or her strike package ( as one of my clever opponent did) and will balance the cards. Our Best bet is to get Sams and 800 kilo dive bombers as soon as possible and limit the use of TB. Because as I tried before TB needs Dive bombers to soften the air defence before being affective. As a IJ player under no case IJN should not involve with American Strike force without Land Base air support. To crack it we need land based support. Otherwise you have to be a very good card player to calculate risks. Because I have seen Allied CVs running away with 4 torpedo hits.

Also to maximise use of TB you need you best TB pilots which you dont have much. And when you loose them you will never make a second round of same strategy.

What I do is I stript all my 2 engine bombers at the start and put them in reserve. It gives you more attack chances in the second part of the war.

"Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is murder."
"Sovereignty is not given, it is taken."
"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal

(in reply to guctony)
Post #: 6
RE: Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ? - 6/16/2014 6:23:13 AM   
Tokyo Boy

Thank you so much !

(in reply to guctony)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Convert Jap CV to CVE (Heavy) ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI