Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dolittle Raid

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Dolittle Raid Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dolittle Raid - 6/15/2014 8:51:00 PM   
slpatgun

Is there anyway to recreate this?
ie: launching a B-25 from the deck of a "Yorktown" or " Lexington" (early war) Carrier.

Thanks,
Post #: 1
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/15/2014 9:09:03 PM   
DOCUP

You can go into the editor and make a new type of B25 as carrier capable.

(in reply to slpatgun)
Post #: 2
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/16/2014 10:15:19 PM   
spence

The system will not allow a simulation of the raid. Even if you went into the editor to create a Carrier-Capable a/c that a/c would then behave like a regular carrier bomber flying both to and from the carrier. Flights, other than transfers without bombing, always originate and end at the same place.

Not sure if the game system would count the "Carrier-Capable" B-25s so as to preclude other flight operations but suspect that it might not do so (that'd be kinda nice but not at all realistic.

(in reply to slpatgun)
Post #: 3
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/17/2014 2:31:00 AM   
Dili

I would prefer a small batch of a dozen B-25 - with extended range, almost nill defensive weapons, reduced bombload etc - even if they will return to the carrier. Implies an house rule to use them only once, and that the carrier can only taken them not anything else.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 4
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/17/2014 6:11:41 AM   
wdolson

If you want to ensure they are only used once, give them a withdraw date. The Doolittle raid was 16 aircraft BTW.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 5
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/17/2014 6:43:00 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

All of the above and also no production (availability dates set to same month) and max service rating. Plus house rule that the CAG must be offloaded or stand-down while the B-25s are on board. I have such a setup - not much more than eye-candy but fun.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 6
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/17/2014 2:44:20 PM   
spence

Seems an overabundance of effort to put 16x50ish experience B25s onto some target which they may or may not damage to some randomly small amount (if they're not all shot down by the defense). The psychological gain to the Allied population, surprise of the strike on the Japanese and loss of face by the IJ High Command are totally lost in this game context.

I'd not put a USN CV at risk for non-existent rewards. Reducing IJ Victory Points by 2-5000 or some such and/or reducing their political point total to zero might make it tempting.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 7
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/17/2014 3:12:53 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Well, matter of taste. I do not play with an eye on VPs. For me inclusion of the Raiders in the game is kind of a "virtual memorial" to these gallant men.

Granted, reducing the Japanese PPs would be nice, but alas, not possible.

"All shot down by defense" assumes the Japanese player actually keeps a defense in the Home Islands in the early war period - it rather seems to be the rule to move as much as possible out of the Home Islands for invading India or else and pulling the experienced pilots out of the restricted air groups and fill them with rookies for training.

Including the Doolittle Raiders would force Japanese players to keep some meaningful air defenses in the Home Islands to guard against a raid - that alone is already a reward IMO. And who knows - maybe such a raid will convince a Japanese player that he should invade Midway .

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 8
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/17/2014 3:48:54 PM   
spence

Guarding against a raid which is guaranteed to accomplish virtually nothing seems a bit much to hope for.

VPs are not a reason to play the game but if the potential loss of a big bunch of VPs is enough to affect Japanese actions then there might be a reason to include the raid in the game.

< Message edited by spence -- 6/17/2014 4:49:22 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/17/2014 4:06:33 PM   
btd64

In The operational art of war III, when you reach a specified target hex, you receive VP's. We could ID a sea hex that the USN must reach with a 2 CV TF at a set date to receive VP's. The location could be randomly generated and provided to the allied player in the intelligence screen when the Hornet arrives. GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 10
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/17/2014 5:02:23 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

Guarding against a raid which is guaranteed to accomplish virtually nothing seems a bit much to hope for.

My raiders will destroy Tokyo! I have modded the pilots assigned to the squadron to include a certain Rafe McCawley and a certain Daniel Walker!

Understand your point but as I said before - I have included the raiders for eye-candy+for the fun+in memoriam plus I am playing H2H against myself. It is not a practical solution for normal games.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 11
RE: Dolittle Raid - 6/17/2014 7:02:33 PM   
Gaspote

Do an air attack on japan in 42 activate depot division ?

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Dolittle Raid Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI