Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 1:59:23 AM   
Haree78

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/holy-crap-nasas-interplanetary-spaceship-concept-is-fr-1589001939/1589277571/+jesusdiaz

Post #: 1
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:09:48 AM   
FingNewGuy

Previously referenced here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3636275 and here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3636590.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 2
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:15:19 AM   
Tcby

A physicist friend of mine did some number crunching on this subject. The basic problem is that exiting warp would obliterate anything near you upon arrival.... heh

source: http://sydney.edu.au/news/science/397.html?newsstoryid=8790

'Brendan McMonigal said, "Interestingly, the energy burst released upon arriving at the destination does not have an upper limit. You can just keep on traveling for longer and longer distances and the energy that will be released will continue to increase - one of the odd effects of General Relativity.

"Even for very short journeys the energy released is so large that you would completely obliterate anything in front of you," said Brendan.'

< Message edited by Tcby -- 6/16/2014 3:18:13 AM >

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 3
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:25:02 AM   
FingNewGuy

Would the energy be released in a cone forward of travel vector upon exit, I wonder? I mean, it is space and you could always calculate your jump exit away from destination? It is a question, I don't presume to understand the math behind this.

< Message edited by FingNewGuy -- 6/16/2014 3:26:13 AM >

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 4
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:31:27 AM   
Tcby

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking whether it would be enough to arrive 'off target' or facing away from the destination, to avoid destroying it?

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 5
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:37:50 AM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking whether it would be enough to arrive 'off target' or facing away from the destination, to avoid destroying it?

Exactly right, that is what I am asking.

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 6
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:39:31 AM   
Fleshbits

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/technology/warp/warpstat_prt.htm

Nasa says it ain't happening on my google search.

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 7
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:44:15 AM   
FingNewGuy

"Alcubierre’s "Warp Drive"

Here’s the premise behind the Alcubierre "warp drive": Although Special Relativity forbids objects to move faster than light within spacetime, it is unknown how fast spacetime itself can move. To use an analogy, imagine you are on one of those moving sidewalks that can be found in some airports. The Alcubierre warp drive is like one of those moving sidewalks. Although there may be a limit to how fast one can walk across the floor (analogous to the light speed limit), what about if you are on a moving section of floor that moves faster than you can walk (analogous to a moving section of spacetime)? In the case of the Alcubierre warp drive, this moving section of spacetime is created by expanding spacetime behind the ship (analogous to where the sidewalk emerges from underneath the floor), and by contracting spacetime in front of the ship (analogous to where the sidewalk goes back into the floor). The idea of expanding spacetime is not new. Using the "Inflationary Universe" perspective, for example, it is thought that spacetime expanded faster than the speed of light during the early moments of the Big Bang. So if spacetime can expand faster than the speed of light during the Big Bang, why not for our warp drive? These theories are too new to have either been discounted or proven viable.

Any other sticky issues?

Yes... First, to create this effect, you’ll need a ring of negative energy wrapped around the ship, and lots of it too. It is still debated in physics whether negative energy can exist. Classical physics tends toward a "no," while quantum physics leans to a "maybe, yes." Second, you’ll need a way to control this effect to turn it on and off at will. This will be especially tricky since this warp effect is a separate effect from the ship. Third, all this assumes that this whole "warp" would indeed move faster than the speed of light. This is a big unknown. And fourth, if all the previous issues weren’t tough enough, these concepts evoke the same time-travel paradoxes as the wormhole concepts.

[Our gratitude to Michael Pfenning for pointing out an error in our older explanation of the Alcubierre warp drive.]

Negative mass propulsion

It has been shown that is theoretically possible to create a continuously propulsive effect by the juxtaposition of negative and positive mass and that such a scheme does not violate conservation of momentum or energy. A crucial assumption to the success of this concept is that negative mass has negative inertia. Their combined interactions result in a sustained acceleration of both masses in the same direction. This concept dates back to at least 1957 with an analysis of the properties of hypothetical negative mass by Bondi, and has been revisited in the context of propulsion by Winterberg and Forward in the 1980’s.

Regarding the physics of negative mass, it is not known whether negative mass exists or if it is even theoretically allowed, but methods have been suggested to search for evidence of negative mass in the context of searching for astronomical evidence of wormholes.

Millis’s hypothetical "Space Drives"

A "space drive" can be defined as an idealized form of propulsion where the fundamental properties of matter and spacetime are used to create propulsive forces anywhere in space without having to carry and expel a reaction mass. Such an achievement would revolutionize space travel as it would circumvent the need for propellant. A variety of hypothetical space drives were created and analyzed by Millis to identify the specific problems that have to be solved to make such schemes plausible. These hypothetical drives are just briefly introduced here. Please note that these concepts are purely hypothetical constructs aimed to illustrate the remaining challenges. Before any of these space drives can become reality, a method must be discovered where a vehicle can create and control an external asymmetric force on itself without expelling a reaction mass and the method must satisfy conservation laws in the process.

[Note: This section is excerpted from Millis' "Challenge to Create the Space Drive," in the AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol.13, No.5, pp. 577-582, Sept.-Oct. 1997. This 6 page report uses 7 hypothetical space drive concepts to highlight the unsolved physics and candidate next steps toward creating a propellantless space drive. It also contains figures for each concept which are not currently available electronically.]

Hypothetical Differential Sail: Analogous to the principles of an ideal radiometer vane, a net difference in radiation pressure exists across the reflecting and absorbing sides. It is assumed that space contains a background of some form of isotropic medium (like the vacuum fluctuations or Cosmic Background Radiation) that is constantly impinging on all sides of the sail.

Hypothetical Diode Sail: Analogous to a diode or one-way mirror, space radiation passes through one direction and reflects from the other creating a net difference in radiation pressure.

Hypothetical Induction Sail: Analogous to creating a pressure gradient in a fluid, the energy density of the impinging space radiation is raised behind the sail and lowered in front to create a net difference in radiation pressure across the sail.

Hypothetical Diametric Drive: This concept considers the possibility of creating a local gradient in a background scalar property of space (such as gravitational potential) by the juxtaposition of diametrically opposed field sources across the vehicle. This is directly analogous to negative mass propulsion. The diametric drive can also be considered analogous to creating a pressure source/sink in a space medium as suggested with the Induction Sail.

Hypothetical Pitch Drive: This concept entertains the possibility that somehow a localized slope in scalar potential is induced across the vehicle which causes forces on the vehicle. In contrast to the diametric drive presented earlier, it is assumed that such a slope can be created without the presence of a pair of point sources. It is not yet known if and how such an effect can be created.

Hypothetical Bias Drive: This concept entertains the possibility that the vehicle alters the properties of space itself, such as the gravitational constant, G, to create a local propulsive gradient. By modifying Newton’s constant to have a localized asymmetric bias, a local gradient similar to the Pitch Drive mechanism results.

Hypothetical Disjunction Drive: This concept entertains the possibility that the source of a field and that which reacts to a field can be separated. By displacing them in space, the reactant is shifted to a point where the field has a slope, thus producing reaction forces between the source and the reactant. Although existing evidence strongly suggests that the source, reactant, and inertial mass properties are inseparable, any future evidence to the contrary would have revolutionary implication to this propulsion application."

-Source: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/technology/warp/ideachev.html

< Message edited by FingNewGuy -- 6/16/2014 3:45:40 AM >

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 8
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:44:44 AM   
Tcby

I guess it depends on how far away you stop. Of course you can't be sure that there isn't something else at your end point. Wouldn't want to casually obliterate some distant space station because you decided not to stop right at the planet

I'll ask Brendan how big this concentrated beam is expected to be...

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 9
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:44:46 AM   
pycco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tcby

A physicist friend of mine did some number crunching on this subject. The basic problem is that exiting warp would obliterate anything near you upon arrival.... heh

'Brendan McMonigal said, "Interestingly, the energy burst released upon arriving at the destination does not have an upper limit. You can just keep on traveling for longer and longer distances and the energy that will be released will continue to increase - one of the odd effects of General Relativity.

"Even for very short journeys the energy released is so large that you would completely obliterate anything in front of you," said Brendan.'

not just in front of you the ships using this method would be torn apart, with out some sort of shield or inertia dampeners not to mention the effects it would have on the environment of space that amount of energy could send a 1 gram meteor so fast it would impact with more force than all the nukes in the world. this could destroy a lot of stuff really quick IMO it will be weaponized before it is used for FTL travel.

who know's what we don't know yet.
look at SOTS game human model ships they look very similar to this design oddly enough

i would love to be teleported safely it would be very weird not to mention the ramification of would it really be me there or a clone with my memory's and such?

< Message edited by pycco -- 6/16/2014 3:48:05 AM >

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 10
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:47:58 AM   
Tcby

quote:

ORIGINAL: pycco

quote:

not just in front of you the ships using this method would be torn apart, with out some sort of shield or inertia dampeners not to mention the effects it would have on the environment of space that amount of energy could send a 1 gram meteor so fast it would impact with more force than all the nukes in the world. this could destroy a lot of stuff really quick IMO it will be weaponized before it is used for FTL travel.

look at SOTS game human model ships they look very similar to this design oddly enough

Yeah, in the paper they talk about particles also damaging the ship even whilst it's in transit.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 11
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:48:09 AM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

I guess it depends on how far away you stop. Of course you can't be sure that there isn't something else at your end point. Wouldn't want to casually obliterate some distant space station because you decided not to stop right at the planet

Quite right. Thanks, I am really interested inwhat his reply to that particular question will be.

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 12
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:49:15 AM   
pycco

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, in the paper they talk about particles also damaging the ship even whilst it's in transit.

LOL, did not read it just understand physics glad they know this though

there are other technology's that must be developed before FTL can be used without cataclysmic results.

< Message edited by pycco -- 6/16/2014 3:50:22 AM >

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 13
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:50:22 AM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

I wonder if, honestly, interstellar particles aren't the bane of linear-propulsion travel?

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 14
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 2:52:36 AM   
pycco

quote:

ORIGINAL: FingNewGuy

quote:

I wonder if, honestly, interstellar particles aren't the bane of linear-propulsion travel?

i read a paper about how we would have to create a "bubble" around the ships or object to prevent microscopic objects from destroying the said object. essentially making the object not extincts in are time and space.

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 15
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 3:03:21 AM   
FingNewGuy

I used to be all about manned space travel, BUT... the more we actually know about the hazards that exist and our current state of knowledge as far as countering those threats ( particles, radiation, prolonged weightlessness effects for example), I don't see how it can happen. Given our current state of knowledge.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 16
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 3:06:10 AM   
Tcby

...yep

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 17
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 3:11:25 AM   
pycco

its not that far out even just need to look at how the planet does gravity and shields us from the rad's and meteors every thing is already know how to apply it it what is needed. AKA a spinning ball of super heated metal with electrostatic electricity will create a "shell" around the object in question it comes down to power output vs size and efficiency

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power

< Message edited by pycco -- 6/16/2014 4:13:52 AM >

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 18
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 3:20:48 AM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

its not that far out even just need to look at how the planet does gravity and shields us from the rad's and meteors every thing is already know how to apply it it what is needed. AKA a spinning ball of super heated metal with electrostatic electricity will create a "shell" around the object in question it comes down to power output vs size and efficiency

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power

Do you really think so? Even at relativistic velocities? The energy requirements for such that you are talking about become absolutely enormous, in addition to the propulsion, naturally.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 19
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 3:24:10 AM   
pycco

once your going that fast the bubble behind the ship will push it you only have to start the "reaction" no need to powered the sustained momentum its the stopping and controlling the bubble so that it does not envelopment the ships and lose shape that is hard.

as for the super heated metal it would be the actual reactor that would generate the magnetic fields.
and fusion once started will sustain it self with the power its putting out and still have enough power to power most if not all of other systems. the sub light engines are tricky though as there is no air in space so fuel that we use would not work, so its more of a giant hammer than an engine to give the ship sub light speed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
http://home.earthlink.net/~jedcline/skests.html- basic for sub light efficient travel

< Message edited by pycco -- 6/16/2014 4:33:02 AM >

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 20
Of course, then there IS this: - 6/16/2014 5:15:52 AM   
FingNewGuy

http://www.nasa.gov/content/heliopause-electrostatic-rapid-transit-system-herts/

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 21
RE: Of course, then there IS this: - 6/16/2014 5:43:16 AM   
Mansen

http://www.gamersglobal.de/sites/gamersglobal.de/files/galerie/4016/SwordoftheStarsII_solforce_cruiser.jpg

Kerberos are not impressed

Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 22
RE: Of course, then there IS this: - 6/16/2014 5:56:49 AM   
pycco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mansen

http://www.gamersglobal.de/sites/gamersglobal.de/files/galerie/4016/SwordoftheStarsII_solforce_cruiser.jpg

Kerberos are not impressed

ya i mentioned this very coincidental heh

quote:

ORIGINAL: FingNewGuy

http://www.nasa.gov/content/heliopause-electrostatic-rapid-transit-system-herts/

that's neat from what i understand about spaceX this is how they plan to make the round the world trips in under 3 hours.

< Message edited by pycco -- 6/16/2014 7:03:28 AM >

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 23
RE: Of course, then there IS this: - 6/16/2014 6:56:25 AM   
Lucian

NASA has a lot of gall. They cant even afford to send a single astronaut into space without thumbing a ride from Russia and yet they talk about building something like this. NASA used to be synonymous with practical science, now all you get from them are computer graphics and "concepts".

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 24
RE: Of course, then there IS this: - 6/16/2014 6:58:20 AM   
pycco

LOL, if you read the article its a concept of a possible design.most of there funding now is black

why waste the $$ when we can pay a fraction of the cost for the same results?
so no input on the OP other than NASA has galls?

< Message edited by pycco -- 6/16/2014 8:10:35 AM >

(in reply to Lucian)
Post #: 25
RE: Of course, then there IS this: - 6/16/2014 7:09:58 AM   
Lucian

The drive requires "exotic matter" which nobody even knows if it even exists, let alone how to obtain or work with it. Whether money is being thrown at it or not, its a very, very long way off. I stand by what I said, NASA nowadays is all talk, computer graphics and concepts with absolutely nothing concrete to back it up.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 26
RE: Of course, then there IS this: - 6/16/2014 7:10:42 AM   
pycco

they have to farthest not in solar system "probe" they lead to the USA reaching Hallie's comet first, successfully landed on mars. have made huge steps in countering the effects of solar radiation and the effects of extended zero gravity as well as developing shielding for windows. and track all meteors that are near earth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor they gave enough warning for it to be destroyed before impact even.

i see no other company that has yet to come close, china just landed on moon....

germs and bacteria were not real until they were discovered.

as i have said you don't know what you don't know.

< Message edited by pycco -- 6/16/2014 8:12:28 AM >

(in reply to Lucian)
Post #: 27
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 8:46:34 AM   
Tcby

quote:

I asked about size of beam, direction, scale (how far away you'd want to arrive).
The response: "Indeed, these questions are relevant, unfortunately no one knows."

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 28
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 1:04:22 PM   
ParagonExile

Cool.

I don't think any of us are qualified to discuss its feasibility however. The math and concepts behind this require decades of study to partially grasp, so a bunch of nerds like us speculating won't help much ;)

I do hope it comes to fruition however; this research could be the salvation of our species one day, and let us travel to the stars like we have always dreamed. Who wouldn't want that?

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 29
RE: NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW - 6/16/2014 1:49:40 PM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

quote:

I asked about size of beam, direction, scale (how far away you'd want to arrive).
The response: "Indeed, these questions are relevant, unfortunately no one knows."

Right on! Thanks for getting back to us with that info.

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> NASA's concept spaceship for interstellar travel WOW Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI