Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't save or load games in DW:U

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Can't save or load games in DW:U Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't save or load games in DW:U - 6/15/2014 7:03:38 AM   
zotres

I just started playing DW:U and I've found I can't manually save or load games. I don't have any problem starting new games.

When I choose to save a game manually it seems to hang and never return, although the system continues to show the process is using CPU. A new save game file appears in the standard save folder so the saving part seems to work, so my guesss is that it's probably not file permission problems. The game windows are never redrawn and control never returns. Strange thing is the autosaves work just fine - the notice shows up and disappears quickly during the game and the autosave files are present in the save folder.

The same thing happens when I try to load a saved game, either a manual save or an autosave file. The game just seems to hang although again the system shows it's still using CPU time.

I tried shutting down my firewall and that didn't help.

Game version: 1.9.5.3

Any ideas? Thanks!

Post #: 1
RE: Can't save or load games in DW:U - 6/15/2014 7:41:59 AM   
Bingeling

Weird.

Try check you disk for errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

And try run some antivirus and malwarebytes to see if any fun stuff is interfering.

(in reply to zotres)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't save or load games in DW:U - 6/15/2014 8:26:49 AM   
Florestan

quote:

I tried shutting down my firewall and that didn't help.

I don't think a firewall could interfere with disk access. A firewall is a network protection against remote attacks or applications trying to reach out without user knowledge.

But your problem is quite intriguing. I can't think about anything that would do this to you, and not to pretty much everyone else.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't save or load games in DW:U - 6/16/2014 12:29:50 AM   
SeeRed15

It's not just zotres. I've been experiencing a similar issue with my saved games. I can manually save them unlike zotres, but I can not load them. Everytime I've tried to load a game, it tries to switch the theme to the default theme (which the game is already in) and then the game crashes. No crash dump is produced from this and it has only been happening since update 1.9.5.3.

(in reply to Florestan)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't save or load games in DW:U - 6/16/2014 5:17:07 AM   
zotres

quote:

Try check you disk for errors:

And try run some antivirus and malwarebytes to see if any fun stuff is interfering.

Every check I've run reports a clean system. The autosaves are working, and I should have mentioned that I ran all the tutorials too which seem to load from the disk. So the game is reading and writing without problem when it does it on its own. It's only when I try it manually that it doesn't work.

(in reply to Florestan)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't save or load games in DW:U - 6/16/2014 5:28:53 AM   
zotres

quote:

I don't think a firewall could interfere with disk access.

It may depend on the firewall. For me the DW:U installation failed with file permission problems until I disabled my firewall (Comodo). I have several Matrix games (and others) and DW:U is the first where I needed to do that in order to install it. Don't know why though. I didn't look into it after it worked. In any event it doesn't seem to be the cause of this problem.

(in reply to Florestan)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't save or load games in DW:U - 6/16/2014 8:44:45 AM   
Florestan

quote:

ORIGINAL: zotres
It may depend on the firewall. For me the DW:U installation failed with file permission problems until I disabled my firewall (Comodo).

After a quick look, it seems comodo firewall also has a malware protection component, which is probably why it could interfere with installations.
One more proof that any kind of antivirus is more a source of problems than a problem solver. Well, I still got to see any problem actually solved by any anti-virus so far, and I’ve seen quite few of them installed in my time including on my workstations…

(in reply to zotres)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Can't save or load games in DW:U Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI