Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: YouTube Collaborative Series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: YouTube Collaborative Series Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/19/2014 11:00:25 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tcby

"Cmon target. Target. Target. I can't target this thing!
....oh it's mine"

heheh

That was classic!

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 61
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/20/2014 1:01:30 AM   
StarLab

Yeah, that captured ship really messed me up!

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 62
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/20/2014 1:14:00 AM   
Tcby

Also the reason those ships are taking a bit longer to kill than expected is because they have enhanced armor...can't remember if you ended up noticing that

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 63
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/20/2014 2:53:37 AM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

He needed the cost savings on maintenance for those obsolete ships. New hull size and better rail-guns and I believe
he has better armor researched. but with 6 months left for his turn this year we won't see his new boys in action for awhile. Hopefully he'll rebase and automate the fleet before end of his turn.

Um, his fleet was obliterated, remember? His money was good, and it would have been better to just retrofit the older ships.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 64
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/20/2014 7:15:58 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: FingNewGuy

quote:

He needed the cost savings on maintenance for those obsolete ships. New hull size and better rail-guns and I believe
he has better armor researched. but with 6 months left for his turn this year we won't see his new boys in action for awhile. Hopefully he'll rebase and automate the fleet before end of his turn.

Um, his fleet was obliterated, remember? His money was good, and it would have been better to just retrofit the older ships.

The fleet did some damage before it died. Though what 1 or 3 ships actually made it out? Anyway those ships getting obliterated added to his positive cash flow.(this is called positive governmental spin or propaganda) Now nice new construction unencumbered by retrofits can take place.

Make sure you incorporate those boarding pods on the new construction Larry.

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 65
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/20/2014 11:20:20 AM   
StarLab

Here is the remainder of my year. My fleet limps back to Homeworld and we do some quick ship redesigns.

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 10: Pt 2 ~ Great Timing For Year End

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 66
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/20/2014 2:26:27 PM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

The fleet did some damage before it died. Though what 1 or 3 ships actually made it out? Anyway those ships getting obliterated added to his positive cash flow.(this is called positive governmental spin or propaganda) Now nice new construction unencumbered by retrofits can take place.

Yep, sure is!

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 67
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/21/2014 7:35:02 PM   
DasTactic

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 11 Part 1 ~ Choosing Our Friends

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 68
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/21/2014 10:16:27 PM   
FingNewGuy

Following the press briefing, Keskudons United for Accountability in Galactic Domination issued a call for authorities to secure the release of Keskudon populations under the insanely evil rule of the Humans forthwith!

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 69
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/22/2014 6:22:32 PM   
DasTactic

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 11 Part 2 ~ Rim Raids

And so begins the legend of Oofrit Taghran, ship captain, rising from slavery on Coop to betray his own kind, hero of the Keskudon Empire!

I must say I had a lot of fun playing this year.

(Bit of a spoiler) When you look at the battle with the Rippa Fleet keep in mind what might have been if their turning speed was better!

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 70
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 2:52:35 AM   
PharAway

Not like these guys need my endorsement but I have been enjoying the episodes. If you haven't had a chance to yet, get out there and watch the episodes. Great content as always Larry and Das. One day I hope to have the subs needed to make a guest appearance! :)

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 71
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 3:01:19 AM   
DasTactic

Thanks PharAway. It has been an enjoyable trip not knowing what will develop during each year.

Marcus Aurelius is the next in line and has already published his episode. :)

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 12 ~ We Shall Be Greeted As Liberators

(in reply to PharAway)
Post #: 72
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 4:16:12 AM   
Tophat1815

Good episode! For being unfamiliar with the game he did a good job. I think the exploding weapon range was probably a weapons research station. Seems that on land you guys command and in space you are at least now in the race.

Larry,please build a nice cruiser design and start chopping those human tubs up. How many Capital ships did Marcus Aurelius actually build?

Looking forward to the next part where we get the situation update.Lucky year 13 here we come.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 73
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 7:05:57 AM   
DasTactic

Marcus did a great job. It is hard enough coming into the middle of a game like this, but to have only played a small number of hours makes it all the more difficult. :)

It was indeed a weapons research station. Damned spies. Could have been worse though. It could have been our space port!

I'm not sure how many were built but I think we have about 12 now. Be interested to see the scores between the races now.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 74
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 8:17:12 AM   
FingNewGuy

And screw you for not paying attention to those who are watching your show. **** off, what! You suck anyway. To be bloody honest.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 75
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 10:31:22 AM   
Keston

Very good material, except - well, it has become fashionable in film and TV to increase background noise and music so that the dialogue is sometimes barely audible or inaudible at intervals - besides "realism" there are other practical motivations for this that outweigh the accessibility of the dialogue to the audience, but these considerations shouldn't apply to a let's play done free for this audience.

While the music doesn't interfere with the player who is playing the game or hearing himself talk , it certainly does interfere with hearing what he is saying when trying to follow the game on-screen. The quality and discernment of hearing and ability to focus on audio interpretation and the game visuals at the same time varies greatly by individuals, and tends to decay with age. It is at least very annoying to face these challenges in trying to follow the voiceover at times.

< Message edited by Keston -- 6/23/2014 11:40:34 AM >

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 76
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 2:18:32 PM   
vmxa_slith

Das refuses to turn off the music for lets plays. I often have to forgo watching as it is so distracting to me.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 77
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 3:04:36 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: FingNewGuy

And screw you for not paying attention to those who are watching your show. **** off, what! You suck anyway. To be bloody honest.

Come on this is "over-the-top"......no need for it. I stopped drinking and posting() a few decades ago myself.

(in reply to FingNewGuy)
Post #: 78
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 3:09:15 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: vmxa

Das refuses to turn off the music for lets plays. I often have to forgo watching as it is so distracting to me.

Odd....I have a bit of hearing loss and I can hear and understand him fine over the music. in comparison to some U-Tube vids his sound is middle of the road at worst. And the analysis and gameplay more than make up for any issue of sound.

Seems "can't please everyone" is still a confirmed truth.

On with the show!

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 79
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 5:19:24 PM   
DasTactic

I can get rid of the music if that is the preference. After the tutorial series where it definitely was too loud I've tried to keep it very low. I think it sets a mood. I know Larry prefers to have it completely off.

@FingNewGuy: I have no clue what you are referring to in your last comment, sorry. Feels like a personal attack so normally I wouldn't engage but on the chance it isn't I thought I'd try to get some clarification. If it IS a personal attack then please ignore this response. ;)

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 80
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 7:07:47 PM   
vmxa_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Odd....I have a bit of hearing loss and I can hear and understand him fine over the music.

I did not say I could not hear or understand him. I said it was distracting. In some of them it eventually annoys me to the point I give up. If I did not like his work, I would not bother to watch any further or make any comments.

Not sure how it would be an issue to not have music for an LP. I would suspect given the number of times I have read post asking for it to be turn down, it is more of a hindrance than a pleasure.

For the record I have never down voted any of Das's LP's and have given likes to many.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 81
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 7:35:42 PM   
DasTactic

I appreciate the feedback. :) It doesn't bother me gameplay-wise whether I have it on or off so if it is distracting for people watching then I'll try it off.

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 82
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/23/2014 10:02:09 PM   
Tcby

For some strange reason my favourite episode so far is Das' overview of where they're at (year 11 part 1). So thumbs up for 40 minutes of talking about menus and plans

I think what really did it for me was all the talk of this potentially being the height of your power, and how things were going to start crashing down for a few years. Very space opera.

Edit: also beginning to make a power bloc! yay politics

< Message edited by Tcby -- 6/23/2014 11:04:01 PM >

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 83
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/24/2014 12:54:26 AM   
Keston

It is a good learning experience, and I like the strategic and tactical analysis and planning a lot. There are good tips on gameplay and clearly different gameplay styles. Some role-playing drama and hyperbole add flavor.

Don't get me wrong on music - I just really want to hear and process what the players are saying and are doing on screen.

I like light background music and sound effects, but at volume they compete with voices. It's a matter of signal processing, not raw volume. Some people can unravel 3 or 4 simultaneous conversations in a crowded and noisy club, some find even 2 conversations in an otherwise quiet room even from different directions hard to separate.

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 84
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/24/2014 4:30:21 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: vmxa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Odd....I have a bit of hearing loss and I can hear and understand him fine over the music.

I did not say I could not hear or understand him. I said it was distracting. In some of them it eventually annoys me to the point I give up. If I did not like his work, I would not bother to watch any further or make any comments.

Not sure how it would be an issue to not have music for an LP. I would suspect given the number of times I have read post asking for it to be turn down, it is more of a hindrance than a pleasure.

For the record I have never down voted any of Das's LP's and have given likes to many.

Fine,fine whatever you say. I'm fairly sure Das will being a more than reasonable guy bow to the tyranny of the masses and acquiesces to your request. I don't want to hijack this excellent AAR thread any further with discussion about music volume. This has been a great AAR that has taken us already through 12 years of interesting game play and the strategic thought behind it. I can't believe we are reduced to some bizarre half-baked personal attack by one guy and a music critique by another! In regards to FingNewGuy I'm certain Das wasn't ignoring your comments as any kind of insult. Das is coordinating this collaborative lets play and trying to turn episodes out in a timely manner.

I was hoping we'd get some new players asking questions about strategy,ship design and colony choice selection. All these players so far in the video have shown how important access to critical resources are. heck,we have had shown an economy going into the red and yet nobody has commented or asked questions of the players.

Hoping we can turn this around in regards to the next installments.

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 85
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/24/2014 9:15:16 PM   
Keston

Yes, the playing through does show a high level of attention to resources and highlights the impact of stoppages due to resource shortages. It seems the quickest way to find out what is short is the alerts and cycling through colonies, and the quickest response is to ask smugglers to fill the gap.

Getting it more directly seems considerably more involved. The UI offers a number of ways to get slices of information about resource demand and locations, but if there is an integrated view showing the options I must be missing it. The empire sidebar can make it easy to see listed items identified on the map when mousing over. There isn't a resources bar there.

I can get information on a list of known available resource locations in the expansion planner and the general location on the minimap with it. I believe this excludes locations occupied by others. I can get locations highlighted more usefully on the "Galaxy" Map by selecting the chosen resource in the dropdown, but need to go to the expansion planner or click through to the location for more details. Or we can click on entire systems to get a complete resource overview and evaluation of the neighborhood and what may be safe. Stumbling through these tools I manage to miss rich targets that are enemy controlled worlds.

What is the best way to handle this?

Assuming players use the double-handful of Ctrl keys for key fleets and ships, what do good players use as a checklist of things to return to later on? Other than noting it mentally or by hand or by renaming things in the game, are there game elements or mods that can help pin things on the map or tag them for later attention?

P.S. I like a medium to large map with a lot of stars. Is there a search function by name for known systems or astronomical objects?

On the easier side, the Human war shows dramatically how important it is to know your enemy and tailor forces to fight them. I usually have preferred longer-range weapons so it hasn't been as forcefully presented. So boarding pods to capture ships are extra useful even if not a pirate.

If you raise troops from conquered populations, are they liable to revolt, and more so if left on a planet of their species rather than sent to police other species?

More questions later.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 86
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/24/2014 9:33:59 PM   
Tcby

You'd probably be better off asking those questions in the general discussion or war room areas :)

< Message edited by Tcby -- 6/25/2014 12:44:03 AM >

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 87
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/24/2014 10:19:27 PM   
DasTactic

As Tcby said it is probably best to ask these sort of questions in the other forum where more people will look at them. But I'll try to answer what I can...

One of the great things about DW though (unlike most other games) is there are many ways to approach promlems and no one solutions will always be the best one each time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keston
Yes, the playing through does show a high level of attention to resources and highlights the impact of stoppages due to resource shortages. It seems the quickest way to find out what is short is the alerts and cycling through colonies, and the quickest response is to ask smugglers to fill the gap.

Getting it more directly seems considerably more involved. The UI offers a number of ways to get slices of information about resource demand and locations, but if there is an integrated view showing the options I must be missing it. The empire sidebar can make it easy to see listed items identified on the map when mousing over. There isn't a resources bar there.

I can get information on a list of known available resource locations in the expansion planner and the general location on the minimap with it. I believe this excludes locations occupied by others. I can get locations highlighted more usefully on the "Galaxy" Map by selecting the chosen resource in the dropdown, but need to go to the expansion planner or click through to the location for more details. Or we can click on entire systems to get a complete resource overview and evaluation of the neighborhood and what may be safe. Stumbling through these tools I manage to miss rich targets that are enemy controlled worlds.

What is the best way to handle this?

Larry is great at sorting through the resources quickly so I'd recommend looking at his Part 1 videos. He uses the expansion planner mainly for this.

My method is to just focus on the 'difficult' resources that are needed for most construction: polymer, chromium and carbon fibre. I also like to directly control 2 or 3 steel sources in or close to my home world. I use the galaxy map for this.

Also, when you are building things you will get a list of required resources that are needed if you select the construction object. Any that it doesn't have enough of show in orange.

Pirate smuggling missions are a great source while they are in control of space. In our LP we have now turned a corner where the pirates are weaker than the empires so they will have less infrastructure to meet our demands. Early on the smuggling missions were the best source for us but now we need to start securing our own or get friends we can trade with. This was one of the reasons I shared the Zentabia Fluid in my last turn. :)

quote:

Assuming players use the double-handful of Ctrl keys for key fleets and ships, what do good players use as a checklist of things to return to later on? Other than noting it mentally or by hand or by renaming things in the game, are there game elements or mods that can help pin things on the map or tag them for later attention?

It would be great to have a notes ability within the game. What I do for recording is write notes in a text file then try to address each item. If I am just playing for fun I occasionally just scroll through special locations; the galaxy map at the special resources; potential colonies; and then just figure out what I'm going to target next.

In our game (in my opinion) all we need to really focus on are: Protecting the home world system; securing and eventually building a star port on Zentabia; securing the captured independent planets with the high populations (so we get tax income); keeping an eye on the Korrabian Spice and the Loros Fruit planets; capturing the other Keskadon planet from the humans; and capturing the Carrida Weapons facility from the humans. Most of the other planets don't add much to our income yet and in fact drain our income for the short-term until they develop.

To put this in perspective, in our current game I think we control 11 planets yet I think our home world generates over 95% of our income.

quote:

P.S. I like a medium to large map with a lot of stars. Is there a search function by name for known systems or astronomical objects?

A search/filter function would be very useful but it doesn't exist in the game

quote:

On the easier side, the Human war shows dramatically how important it is to know your enemy and tailor forces to fight them. I usually have preferred longer-range weapons so it hasn't been as forcefully presented. So boarding pods to capture ships are extra useful even if not a pirate.

I personally don't rely on capturing ships and generally prefer long range weapons. But in this game they weren't available to us so we had to re-design around what we had also keeping in mind we were a long way behind in research. Once again, the game presents a unique problem I personally have never had to consider before. :)

quote:

If you raise troops from conquered populations, are they liable to revolt, and more so if left on a planet of their species rather than sent to police other species?

I don't know the answer to that. I suspect not, but sometimes it seems your troops disappear when a rebellion starts. I'm not sure about the morale of those troops. Would be interested in the answer though. :)

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 88
Viability of "Soviet" Design Approach? - 6/24/2014 10:40:18 PM   
Keston

A cold war discussion brought this to mind again. The game AI frequently upgrades technology and ships (or nags about it) to the latest (yet more expensive) technology, including retrofitting prior models even if not tactically obsolete. Is this normal practice for skilled players?

There is a very different approach that was used by the Soviet Union - focusing more on design of weapons systems for cost-effectiveness for their primary purpose, and retaining enormous stockpiles of prior generations of equipment in storage for decades as a matter of prudence. Does it make sense to upgrade and retrofit at every opportunity?

I was noticing a price differential of 2x or 4x on some of the equipment options in early designs with nominal damage fairly similar. This suggests some opportunities to get more for our money (though this will depend on resource input prices. Sensible to build this way? Or just keep surviving older ships for second-line duties or to bolster front-line forces?

This seems like a potential strategy for empires with high maintenance costs to keep up their firepower numbers (which I assume is a factor AI considers in planning victims),but could allow those with cheap maintenance (like the Keskudons) to outswarm the enemy and keep a large fleet in being, even if its strength is factitious.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 89
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 6/24/2014 11:01:22 PM   
spiralaxis

I was looking through another forum post that had the races sorted by troop strength. The only race stronger than the Keskudons is the Shaktari. But a Keskidon recruited on a Koribian spice planet is nearly 30% stronger than other Keskudons (+50 troop strength!?). They're 25% stronger than even the Shaktari.

So I'd mark that one as a capture priority too.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: YouTube Collaborative Series Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI