Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 6/20/2014 8:25:29 AM   
Nomada_Firefox

Hi all. Perhaps some of you have not thought about it but if we want a modding community living in the incoming new Bloody First, we need this feature. It is essential, if we can not edit at least the ground vehicles, we can not make new mods set at different operations and the game will lose every its modding capabilities.

Now, if you want this feature, answer here. Your opinions can help.
Post #: 1
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 6/20/2014 10:23:30 AM   
Bungarra1

I'm with Nomada here...

The modders are really what have kept the interest in the great game of CC over the years

Without them there would not be such a following.

Please for your sake & ours...

Allow it to be moddable

Thankyou..

(in reply to Nomada_Firefox)
Post #: 2
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 6/20/2014 1:21:17 PM   
Narciso

+1 here. Hope they make easy the modders work.

(in reply to Bungarra1)
Post #: 3
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 6/20/2014 3:19:05 PM   
DAK_Von_Manteuffel

Please for your sake & ours...

Allow it to be moddable

Thankyou..

(in reply to Narciso)
Post #: 4
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 6/20/2014 5:21:26 PM   
SteveMcClaire

I did already answer this at one point, but I'm sure it's buried in another thread. :)

The ability to mod the 3D models is something we'd like to do, but it's also something that Unity makes very difficult. There is no support for dynamically loading 3D models in a compiled program. There are some options, but none of them are ideal or easy to do. So it will probably come down to how much time we have to work on this for the first version.

Steve

(in reply to DAK_Von_Manteuffel)
Post #: 5
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 6/20/2014 6:19:44 PM   
Nomada_Firefox

The solution is very simple, just release a compiler only for the 3D models. Most of all the games which they can be edited, they have some like this.

If you think that you can lose the control from your game, I go to give you a example. Sins of a Solar Empire from Iron Clad (Stardock publisher) released the compiler for all the files when they released the game and they have a very powerful community living from the mods. http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/

At the end, if we can not edit the 3d models, the game will not be a friendly modding game and you should delete this feature from bloody first.

< Message edited by Nomada_Firefox -- 6/20/2014 7:21:57 PM >

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 6
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 6/21/2014 3:21:34 AM   
Platoon_Michael

Are you saying the Unity engine has no way of extracting/loading images from the game?

(in reply to Nomada_Firefox)
Post #: 7
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 6/21/2014 3:25:22 AM   
mooxe

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mods+for+unity+engine+games

Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 8
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 6/21/2014 11:03:56 AM   
Lukas

quote:

The solution is very simple, just release a compiler only for the 3D models. Most of all the games which they can be edited, they have some like this.

That's hardly "simple". Unity can import a range of 3D model file formats into its editor, but there is no direct way to do that for external files in a standalone build. The only solution is to write one's own 3D file format not only for Unity to import but also scripts for 3D software to export to that format. Not impossible to do but quite a bit of work (and research into scripting capabilities of various 3D software). Something we - for Order of Battle - will be looking into after release.

quote:

Are you saying the Unity engine has no way of extracting/loading images from the game?

2D images are not a problem. 3D geometry data is.

(in reply to mooxe)
Post #: 9
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 2/13/2015 12:58:52 AM   
Stwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

I did already answer this at one point, but I'm sure it's buried in another thread. :)

The ability to mod the 3D models is something we'd like to do, but it's also something that Unity makes very difficult. There is no support for dynamically loading 3D models in a compiled program. There are some options, but none of them are ideal or easy to do. So it will probably come down to how much time we have to work on this for the first version.

Steve

Right, but Destineer has a 3D engine. I know the Strike Fighters series has been using it for over a decade. And me thinks it is not difficult to add models dynamically.

Now, I am just guessing that Matrix has done business with Destineer before. So who messed this up?

Post #: 10
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 2/15/2015 3:59:35 PM   
SteveMcClaire

The 3D engine we are using is Unity3D. We are not using Desinteers engine.

Steve

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 11
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 2/17/2015 6:42:16 AM   
Stwa

quote:

The 3D engine we are using is Unity3D. We are not using Desinteers engine.

Steve

I think we know all that already. Someone from Matrix came by several years ago and said that. What they didn't say at that time, was that models might not be able to be loaded dynamically by the 3D engine.

So surely you can see, for lay persons like myself, it might appear that someone at Matrix (like yourself) messed up.

Kind regards,

Stwa

Post #: 12
RE: We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models - 12/28/2015 7:55:38 PM   
Tejszd

quote:

Steve

This is a must feature for me to buy it as mods are what kept CC alive for years with players....

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> We need be capable of add or edit the 3D models Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI