Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steam v. non-Steam updates

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Steam v. non-Steam updates Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/23/2014 3:01:23 PM   
Euler

First let me say DW is my favorite strategy game and I am a fan. I really appreciate the support that the devs and modders give to this game and I am looking forward to the new patches which will continue to make the game even better.

I originally thought Steam would be the way to go with this game since all my other games are on Steam and it keeps everything organized and up to date. As opposed to updating manually, the pre-Steam way.

I have changed my opinion however. Steam auto-updates are creating two problems. By automatically updating to the latest version, my earlier version games are unable to finish. Some of the games take a long time to play and a new patch comes out before I have finished my latest game.

Also, I am auto-updated to the latest patch whether I want to or not. I would like to be able to say when I am ready to update and not before. Some of the patches need time to be fully vetted.

Steam will probably be fine once the patching settles down, however, patching is the way to incorporate new features and make the game better over time so I would like to see it continue.

It would be great if there was a way to select what version of the game you want to play, but I expect that would be difficult to implement and require keeping a lot of unnecessary files and old versions of the game on disk.

I think for now I am going to go back to the manual updates since I have more control over that process. If anyone knows how to get Steam to not update until you tell it to, I would like to learn how to do that, if it's possible.

Post #: 1
RE: Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/23/2014 3:07:22 PM   
Bingeling

I am not that experienced with steam, but...

- Right click the game in library.
- Properties
- Updates
- "Do not automatically update this game"

It sounds like the way, at least.

(in reply to Euler)
Post #: 2
RE: Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/23/2014 10:05:38 PM   
Euler

Thanks! I never knew how to do that...it looks like it will work. I will give it a try with the latest update.

Still no way to roll back to an earlier update, but I'm okay with that as long as I control when updates occur.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/23/2014 11:30:14 PM   
warzer

Well, i wanted to let you know you can play older saves just fine. the patches just create a new folder. you just have to go back to the old folder and load your save from there.

(in reply to Euler)
Post #: 4
RE: Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/24/2014 1:59:25 PM   
Euler

If it plays the older saved file with a newer version of the game, wouldn't the old save potentially be unstable? I suppose it might depend on the types of changes that are made.

(in reply to warzer)
Post #: 5
RE: Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/24/2014 2:50:52 PM   
warzer

I think the Dev's said that previous saves are supported.

(in reply to Euler)
Post #: 6
RE: Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/30/2014 1:43:20 PM   
BlueTemplar

You can run an older version of the game by using the older version game folder (that you backed up), and then launching Steam in offline mode (if DW has the Steam DRM that prevents you from launching the game without launching Steam).

Otherwise I think you can get the Matrix version of the game and patch manually?

(in reply to warzer)
Post #: 7
RE: Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/30/2014 4:55:46 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Steam is also throwing a fit if I use a mod to change anything outside the 'Customization' folder. GEM, MellowClick, etc. are constantly being "repaired" into oblivion.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 8
RE: Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/30/2014 5:10:59 PM   
Imperceptible

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

Steam is also throwing a fit if I use a mod to change anything outside the 'Customization' folder. GEM, MellowClick, etc. are constantly being "repaired" into oblivion.

Yes, that will happen with Steam.

A simple solution is to copy the whole 'Distant Worlds Universe' folder to somewhere else. Then create a shortcut to the desktop from the new 'DistantWorlds.exe' to play. I've had to do this with the resource icon mod I created, where I copied them over the top of the originals. Steam went and 'corrected' them.

I also use the blank, black galaxy backdrop, which can't be modded via the Customization folder anyway.

Don't know how you keep track of patch changes though? Maybe just copy everything except the sounds and ui folders?

< Message edited by Imperceptible -- 6/30/2014 6:13:33 PM >

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 9
RE: Steam v. non-Steam updates - 6/30/2014 7:51:07 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Likely a fresh work-around after every patch "fixes" things. Clumsy and annoying, but it would work I guess.

(in reply to Imperceptible)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Steam v. non-Steam updates Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI