Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/24/2014 8:04:06 PM   
Cribtop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop
Well played game. Both sides look dangerous. Brazil will get all it wants with Chile next game (unless they blow Group A). A test of whether Brazil will flip the switch or continue iffy form. Will be a great match.

Yes. You are one of the few Americans that understands futbol. Will be a great match. Hate this forum nonsense. Signing off, now.

Thanks, Symon! I love the sport and hope more of my countrymen start to follow it.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 211
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/24/2014 8:04:17 PM   
Erkki

Columbia, Mexico and Chile have been enjoyable to follow so far. Their play style is more or less the opposite of manu European teams.

I've wondered about the referees too but the crowd seems to have really enjoyed at least most of the games!

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 212
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/24/2014 8:12:42 PM   
Nikademus

I love the drama of Soccer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 213
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/24/2014 8:52:31 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Over the ball tackles (where the tackling player kicks the offended player's leg higher than the height of the ball) have a higher percentage chance of inflicting serious injury, including broken legs. They are also seen as more intentional as if the player was going for the ball he wouldn't kick the leg above it. Some are still unintentional but it's akin to a chop block in American football - a play likely enough to result in injury that intent is not the most important factor.

As for Suarez, well, he could be in trouble.

PS - Oops, Cannonfodder beat me to it.

Thanks. I watched the replay and it seemed like the kicked player was gyrating pretty good though, so it was hard to say the kick ended up where it would have if the kicked guy had been still. I thought there were a lot of worse offenses, but what do I know?

The Moose

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 214
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/24/2014 8:54:15 PM   
Maglio

The dutch kick us badly. Good game however.

It does not matter... ¡¡¡VAMOS POR BRASIL!!!

Third world cup in a row we play with Brasil on 8th of finals.

“Tres barquichuelos dieron a los Reyes de España la posesión del Nuevo Mundo, estas cuatro tablas van a quitárselo”.

Bernardo O' Higgins, October 10th, 1818, while watching the Chilean first fleet getting underway.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 215
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/24/2014 9:20:37 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maglio
The dutch kick us badly. Good game however.

Los holandeses no nos golpearon gravemente. Nos ganaron honestamente. Pero fue un gran juego.
quote:

It does not matter... ¡¡¡VAMOS POR BRASIL!!!

Sí, mi amigo, mañana es otro día.
quote:

Third world cup in a row we play with Brasil on 8th of finals.

¿Dios mira los playoff? ¿Es Dios para chile? Uno puede sólo espero y rezo. ¡Vamos! Chile. Ciao. JWE

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Maglio)
Post #: 216
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/24/2014 10:49:22 PM   
Olorin

Yes! We 're through!

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 217
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/24/2014 11:52:35 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

Bite 1

Bite 2

Bite 3

You forgot being suspended for racist comments to another player and a litany of more minor but systematically regular infractions. He should be out of football, not a few games, but permanently. He's shown often enough that he will break the rules and the etiquette of the game and completely disrespect his opponents.

What would happen if I bit someone at work? Uh, fired. Done. No reference. Find new career.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 218
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 12:12:12 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

What would happen if I bit someone at work? Uh, fired. Done. No reference. Find new career.

How would your boss feel about you hauling off and kicking somebody in the shins really hard? A time-out in the break-room?

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 219
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 12:35:10 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

How would your boss feel about you hauling off and kicking somebody in the shins really hard? A time-out in the break-room?

Well, if they'd stolen my developing tank and were kicking it with their own feet I'm sure she'd understand!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 220
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 2:31:37 AM   
Cribtop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Over the ball tackles (where the tackling player kicks the offended player's leg higher than the height of the ball) have a higher percentage chance of inflicting serious injury, including broken legs. They are also seen as more intentional as if the player was going for the ball he wouldn't kick the leg above it. Some are still unintentional but it's akin to a chop block in American football - a play likely enough to result in injury that intent is not the most important factor.

As for Suarez, well, he could be in trouble.

PS - Oops, Cannonfodder beat me to it.

Thanks. I watched the replay and it seemed like the kicked player was gyrating pretty good though, so it was hard to say the kick ended up where it would have if the kicked guy had been still. I thought there were a lot of worse offenses, but what do I know?

I didn't see the play, and there is apparently a lot of controversy over whether a red card was warranted, but hopefully that explains the rule.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 221
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 2:49:30 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Bite 1

Bite 2

Bite 3

You forgot being suspended for racist comments to another player and a litany of more minor but systematically regular infractions. He should be out of football, not a few games, but permanently. He's shown often enough that he will break the rules and the etiquette of the game and completely disrespect his opponents.

It's jagoffs like that that deserve-in self-defense no less-a forearm / elbow upside the temple / jaw. Stop that biting nonsense lickity split with a broken jaw. It'd be worth the red card drawn to smash his face in but good.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 222
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 2:53:11 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Bite 1

Bite 2

Bite 3

That's pathetic. Totally unacceptable. Why, exactly is this guy walking around still, let alone playing professional soccer? In these days of communicable diseases to break someone's skin with your teeth intentionally? Three times? Someone needs to smack him around some.

Post #: 223
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 4:03:25 AM   
Cribtop

He kray-kray. Like, seriously.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 224
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 4:25:25 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

Yes! We 're through!
warspite1

I wanted Ivory Coast but to be fair the Greeks deserved their victory last night. And now you have Costa Rica for a place in the Quarter-Final. Wow

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 225
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 7:04:45 AM   
Encircled

quote:

That's pathetic. Totally unacceptable. Why, exactly is this guy walking around still, let alone playing professional soccer? In these days of communicable diseases to break someone's skin with your teeth intentionally? Three times? Someone needs to smack him around some.

Because he's one of the best players in the world. Sadly, football is so money driven these days that he's gotten away with it a while. Probably will get a hefty ban this time though, but as its FIFA, anything is possible.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 226
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 10:15:24 AM   
tocaff

Therein lies the root of the problem. FIFA is corrupt to the core and each investigation that they launch comes to nothing. People who have been banned in FIFA for corruption have been banned because they didn't back the establishment. FIFA finds itself in a position now with Suarez where the whole world is screaming for something to be done. Let's see if the process works or they dish out a slap on the wrist. It's a good game being destroyed by the old, corrupt men who govern it and tolerate the cheating that happens on the field.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 227
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 11:34:04 AM   
Olorin

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

Yes! We 're through!
warspite1

I wanted Ivory Coast but to be fair the Greeks deserved their victory last night. And now you have Costa Rica for a place in the Quarter-Final. Wow

It will be a fairly balanced game with equally matched teams I think. As usual Greece will be defending and trying to launch quick counterattacks.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 228
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 11:59:41 AM   
pharmy

Edit removed post as it might be inflammatory and the penalty could be arguable in many ways.

< Message edited by icepharmy -- 6/25/2014 7:48:14 PM >

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 229
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 4:13:57 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

quote:

Because he's one of the best players in the world. Sadly, football is so money driven these days that he's gotten away with it a while. Probably will get a hefty ban this time though, but as its FIFA, anything is possible.

Well, that may be true, but if one of the players brought a knife onto the pitch and stuck it into the shoulder blades of an opposing player, FIFA's jurisdiction and relevance ends. Biting someone like that is assault, pure and simple. That's a halcyon call for local law enforcement and an end to FIFA's mandate on the matter.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 230
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 6:11:52 PM   
Symon

That’s the only smart thing I have heard. If someone does something civically actionable, then bring him/her/it up on it. That’s what laws and jails are for.

Really $hitty that some people jerked this thread around to be a Kozmopolitan Politikal Social statement. S’kuse me while I whip dis out.

JWE

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 231
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 6:28:45 PM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

That’s the only smart thing I have heard. If someone does something civically actionable, then bring him/her/it up on it. That’s what laws and jails are for.

Really $hitty that some people jerked this thread around to be a Kozmopolitan Politikal Social statement. S’kuse me while I whip dis out.

JWE

So calling someone an idiot for biting another person is a political social statement? It's not.. It is a personal opinion and vented right after watching. You are the one who is making it political and social, probably for the sake of picking a fight.

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 232
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 7:28:11 PM   
Chickenboy

To get this thread back on track...

For those of us (myself included) that are only casual observers of soccer (olympics and world cup are about it for me), what is the group consensus on the USA:German match tomorrow? I find myself looking forward to it, but don't know which of the scuttlebutt is worth listening to. What says this group? Have we (USA) a chance?

Post #: 233
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 7:38:33 PM   
KenchiSulla

It will be a tough match for the US but do not underestimate the pressure on the Germans. The US absolutely have a chance! They can fight and they can score..

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 234
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 8:22:10 PM   
Gaspote

The german will win in my opinion.

Post #: 235
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 8:35:59 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

To get this thread back on track...

For those of us (myself included) that are only casual observers of soccer (olympics and world cup are about it for me), what is the group consensus on the USA:German match tomorrow? I find myself looking forward to it, but don't know which of the scuttlebutt is worth listening to. What says this group? Have we (USA) a chance?
warspite1

This was always perhaps the most intriguing group. Ghana are probably the best of the African nations, Portugal has some technically gifted players (plus a certain Ronaldo) and Germany? Well they need no introduction.... And then of course there is the US. The simple fact is the US should be 4th in this group. But, like Australia, the USA is a country that you should never underestimate in sport. They punch above their weight consistently and never give up.

Good news - Germany need just a point. They don't have to bust a gut to win the group.
Bad news - Germany could do without losing top spot and after the Ghana match, won't want to run the risk of a surprise result

So what will happen?

)£&@ knows......... But a draw - and US qualification - is not beyond this team

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 236
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 9:21:15 PM   
cohimbra

USA-Germany 1-1 and all will be happy

< Message edited by cohimbra -- 6/25/2014 10:21:53 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 237
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 10:01:07 PM   
Gaspote

Yeah, France qualified

So much shots for no goals tough

(in reply to cohimbra)
Post #: 238
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/25/2014 11:44:41 PM   
Cribtop

My concern with the Germany - USA match is that the German team, while more savvy than 2010's wildly entertaining side, is just not built to draw. They are young (mostly), fast, technically gifted and have great setup men. They are built to score, not see the game out to get the result. They may not be capable of just "playing for the tie."

However, the USA is highly motivated, more talented and better coached than in years past. They are very tough and can pull stuff out of the fire. Bottom line to me is to prevent Germany from scoring multiple goals, especially early. Germany scores 0 or 1 goals, I bet we get through. More than that, I doubt we can keep up. The only high scoring game that could come out well for the US is if it's a back and forth affair (i.e. 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, etc).

Should be great fun. I Believe that We Will Win (although I Believe I Would Happily Settle for a Draw).

(in reply to Gaspote)
Post #: 239
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 12:07:50 AM   
tocaff

Tough call as Germany is formidable. Nobody is unbeatable and regardless of the result team USA has done good.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI