Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the 5X 4X strategy game!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the 5X 4X strategy game! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/27/2014 5:11:55 PM   
Texashawk

Matti,

Yes, I've heard of Starshatter and it looked fascinating when it was released. I didn't play it unfortunately - there are several games in Matrix's early days that I regret not picking up that are no longer available - but I am aware of its style. I'm not saying that I would never ever want to publish a version of Imperia someday but I feel like there's a big jump between your commitment on a hobby project and a commercial product.

When you release a product for money, you are accountable to your fans and customers. I would never leave a product unsupported or release a product half-assed and unready, which seems to be the trend in game publishing these days. I'm also not a big fan of the latest trend of 'alpha access' where you essentially pay to be a beta tester (or alpha tester!), something that once upon a time people would pay YOU for (or at least give you the game for free!) I think as games get more and more expensive to make, people are turning to smaller indie games to get something original, but in the race to stay within hailing distance of the big guys, in today's game market there is at least a baseline visual and auditory quality that is expected even in a small commercial game, and frankly I do not feel that I have that ability. If I had (free) help - someone who just wanted to volunteer their talents, that'd be cool, but unless and until I ever went commercial it would remain a community project.

I will reach out to Pheagey if you think he might be interested, however. Thanks for the tip and thanks for your interest!

-Steve
[

quote]ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Texashawk, do you know about game Starshatter? That game puts together space combat simulation (fighters AND starships alike), strategy, and dynamic campaigns into one delicious package. It started as hobby project, but after many many years of development, Matrix published it under name Starshatter: Ultimate Space Combat. I've got it on DVD. Some time later, improved version of the game was released under name Starshatter: The Gathering Storm, and owners of the earlier release could order it for discount (not in effect anymore). Game was heavily modifiable, and there were tons of mods before first disc went to sale. I think one other game, Titans of Steel, has similar history...

You could have opportunity here to do the same. Matrix could (maybe) even get you in contact with graphic designer. Or if you want stay independent and keep game cost-free, you can ask around the Web. I wonder if some Starshatter modders could give you a hand... One of them is Pheagey. But since his latest post in these forums was made in 2008, he is unlikely to reply to any PMs, unless he has e-mail notification turned on.
[/quote]

Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 31
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/27/2014 6:09:04 PM   
Kuokkanen

I have now read through whole thread. I have some suggestions to offer.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texashawk

As mentioned earlier, planets are not micromanaged. They are very complex entities whose actions are governed in part by their population, the stats of the planet itself, its viceroy, and most importantly its primary designation. All planets have at least one primary designation - examples would be a farming world, a manufacturing center, a heavy military world, a scientific conclave, a prison planet, etc. Designations basically shape how a planet will evolve. Depending on the size of the planet, up to 2 additional 'secondary' designations can also be assigned to more round out a planet's development.

That, and level of information you also mentioned, in whole Empire wide scale promises information overload for new player, who isn't already experienced with such. So I recommend this: in addition of PREMISE in first post, there could be another scenario where player doesn't play emperor but some lesser character who has less star systems to manage. How about this: at first player has only colonization fleet and task to choose and colonize uninhabited system. Empire and emperor would still be there, as would be rest of the hierarchy. Player receives orders, edicts, and gameplay instructions. Sector viceroy or emperor himself could give edict that designation of player's colony is prison planet and criminals start to arrive and populate the Place, with expected problems. Player can ask for help from above ("I need more troops to maintain order"), but also get orders and edicts ("You are to turn those criminals to disciplined soldiers and prepare them for war"). Imperium Galactica (the original) was something like that.

Another alternative scenario could be the fall of the first empire, where player's task is to try prevent collapse of the empire you described. Tough one for experienced space 4X grognards.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 4/27/2014 7:10:10 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 32
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/27/2014 7:23:53 PM   
Texashawk

FYI, I have updated the imperiagame.wordpress.com blog. Since I will not always update this thread, I recommend following this blog if you want to keep up with Imperia's progress!

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 33
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/27/2014 9:55:43 PM   
Texashawk

Hmmm. Also like Caesar games. Very interesting! And it actually wouldn't be that hard to pull off from a programming perspective once the empire AI is installed. I like it! What other ideas you got?

Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I have now read through whole thread. I have some suggestions to offer.

quote:

As mentioned earlier, planets are not micromanaged. They are very complex entities whose actions are governed in part by their population, the stats of the planet itself, its viceroy, and most importantly its primary designation. All planets have at least one primary designation - examples would be a farming world, a manufacturing center, a heavy military world, a scientific conclave, a prison planet, etc. Designations basically shape how a planet will evolve. Depending on the size of the planet, up to 2 additional 'secondary' designations can also be assigned to more round out a planet's development.

That, and level of information you also mentioned, in whole Empire wide scale promises information overload for new player, who isn't already experienced with such. So I recommend this: in addition of PREMISE in first post, there could be another scenario where player doesn't play emperor but some lesser character who has less star systems to manage. How about this: at first player has only colonization fleet and task to choose and colonize uninhabited system. Empire and emperor would still be there, as would be rest of the hierarchy. Player receives orders, edicts, and gameplay instructions. Sector viceroy or emperor himself could give edict that designation of player's colony is prison planet and criminals start to arrive and populate the Place, with expected problems. Player can ask for help from above ("I need more troops to maintain order"), but also get orders and edicts ("You are to turn those criminals to disciplined soldiers and prepare them for war"). Imperium Galactica (the original) was something like that.

Another alternative scenario could be the fall of the first empire, where player's task is to try prevent collapse of the empire you described. Tough one for experienced space 4X grognards.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 34
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/28/2014 5:56:42 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

What other ideas you got?

Hmm...

How about some more variety to elements Empire is made of? Different systems could have different government types and different relations to the Empire. Those systems part of capital system's sector could be ruled by emperor's relatives, nobles, viceroys, and governors appointed by emperor himself. Other sectors could have something else. One sector could be autonomous vassal state which pays tax to the Empire. Other sector could be independent ally like what Finland was to Germany in Second World War, and to Soviet Union afterwards. Another sector could be collection of independent systems with one central governing body equal of European Union. And some sectors could have systems that are part of the Empire like Hong Kong was part of British Empire, but rest of the systems in the sector are not.

Even those systems integral part of the Empire could have king or democratic government to handle the local affairs. If emperor (player) goes to meddle too much with that, like change type of government and appoint viceroy, it would be cause of greater problems than renaming of system. Edict to draft large number of local troops out of the system against protests would be cause of problems, and greater problems if those troops don't ever return home. Of course if emperor gives too much leeway for sector and system governments, it too can lead to problems. Look at the history of Roman Empire, Russia before and during communist revolution, collapse of Soviet Union, and Ukraine today. Emperor comes to order around too much = problems. Emperor allows local goverment abuse its power = problems. Emperor doesn't do what must be done becouse fear of protests and problems pressing the matters would cause = enemies overrun the Empire.

Add some micromanagement. For tutorial scenario (where player has just 1 system and task to bring more into the fold) that would give something more to do than just press the 'next turn' button. Ruler of 1 system could well order construction of 10 science labs, and maybe those will find medical use for local plants = profit. Emperor should not have need to do that. But should emperor decide improve literacy rate of backwater colony, and do it right ( = without raising local tax), that could lead to improvement of relations. Oh yes, local population could have different alignments: some population could have greater loyalty towards local government, and others to emperor himself. Emperor micromanages sector or system the right way, or kick abusing government out of the rule = increased loyalty towards emperor. With expense of ADM points.

Speaking about ADM points, player could get project proposals. Accepting the proposal would cost less ADM points than carrying it out without. Science lab example: system governor (player in tutorial scenario) would get proposal to build science labs. Accepting the proposal would cost less ADM points to get science labs built than getting it started without the proposal.

Even in tutorial scenario, player would have access to all the information about the Empire with accuracy and reliability of Wikipedia. But sending in spies would bring more details. Spy could inform player capital system of sector (player is part of) has some unrest. Player could use espionage to make situation worse. When it reaches the boiling point, player comes to help crack it down, and viceroy (or whatev) of the sector treats player as a big damn hero, and offers his daughter for marriage along with half the sector. If ploy succeeds that is.

Oh yes, some variety to scenarios to increase replay value. Event lists and random number generator would be some ways for that. There could be large number of possible edicts player would get in tutorial scenario, but only small number randomly selected ones would come to player's way. System in verge of rebellion rebels or not, depending on RNG result. Combination of player's skill and probabilities should be deciding factors, not predictable mathematics. Beating the odds should be (sometimes) valid choice. Otherwise Finland would have been overrun by the Red Army and Germany wouldn't have even tried Second World War.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 35
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/28/2014 6:02:51 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anguille

interesting....sounds very much like what moo3 wanted to be before the departure of Alan Emrich. Good luck.

I remember fondly.Never did a game sound so interesting before they purged the game.A galactic empire simulation

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 36
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/29/2014 4:21:20 AM   
Texashawk

Wow. Some good stuff here. Let's digest.

quote:

quote:

What other ideas you got?

Hmm...

How about some more variety to elements Empire is made of? Different systems could have different government types and different relations to the Empire. Those systems part of capital system's sector could be ruled by emperor's relatives, nobles, viceroys, and governors appointed by emperor himself. Other sectors could have something else. One sector could be autonomous vassal state which pays tax to the Empire. Other sector could be independent ally like what Finland was to Germany in Second World War, and to Soviet Union afterwards. Another sector could be collection of independent systems with one central governing body equal of European Union. And some sectors could have systems that are part of the Empire like Hong Kong was part of British Empire, but rest of the systems in the sector are not.

Interesting. That would give sectors more uniqueness. Originally, I was going to call sectors provinces and that kind of idea lends itself to my first though. To do it, however, I would have to program a full-scale CK-type character relation system. I have jealousy between all other characters, but that's about it for now.

Even those systems integral part of the Empire could have king or democratic government to handle the local affairs. If emperor (player) goes to meddle too much with that, like change type of government and appoint viceroy, it would be cause of greater problems than renaming of system. Edict to draft large number of local troops out of the system against protests would be cause of problems, and greater problems if those troops don't ever return home. Of course if emperor gives too much leeway for sector and system governments, it too can lead to problems. Look at the history of Roman Empire, Russia before and during communist revolution, collapse of Soviet Union, and Ukraine today. Emperor comes to order around too much = problems. Emperor allows local goverment abuse its power = problems. Emperor doesn't do what must be done becouse fear of protests and problems pressing the matters would cause = enemies overrun the Empire.

See above.

Add some micromanagement. For tutorial scenario (where player has just 1 system and task to bring more into the fold) that would give something more to do than just press the 'next turn' button. Ruler of 1 system could well order construction of 10 science labs, and maybe those will find medical use for local plants = profit. Emperor should not have need to do that. But should emperor decide improve literacy rate of backwater colony, and do it right ( = without raising local tax), that could lead to improvement of relations. Oh yes, local population could have different alignments: some population could have greater loyalty towards local government, and others to emperor himself. Emperor micromanages sector or system the right way, or kick abusing government out of the rule = increased loyalty towards emperor. With expense of ADM points.

If I decide to add the 'career' mode, this will definitely be in in some form.

Speaking about ADM points, player could get project proposals. Accepting the proposal would cost less ADM points than carrying it out without. Science lab example: system governor (player in tutorial scenario) would get proposal to build science labs. Accepting the proposal would cost less ADM points to get science labs built than getting it started without the proposal.

This will actually already be in, in the form of requests. You will have alerts from your viceroy letting you know that you have requests for contact from certain viceroys/governors. Since contacting a character costs an admin point, you will have to choose who is most important. They will then tell you something that they are requesting, and if you grant it, it will be considered an Edict with 100% approval. If not, their anger will increase and their Loyalty will drop depending on the request.

Even in tutorial scenario, player would have access to all the information about the Empire with accuracy and reliability of Wikipedia. But sending in spies would bring more details. Spy could inform player capital system of sector (player is part of) has some unrest. Player could use espionage to make situation worse. When it reaches the boiling point, player comes to help crack it down, and viceroy (or whatev) of the sector treats player as a big damn hero, and offers his daughter for marriage along with half the sector. If ploy succeeds that is.

This will be in as intel events and there are already informers/spies in the game.

Oh yes, some variety to scenarios to increase replay value. Event lists and random number generator would be some ways for that. There could be large number of possible edicts player would get in tutorial scenario, but only small number randomly selected ones would come to player's way. System in verge of rebellion rebels or not, depending on RNG result. Combination of player's skill and probabilities should be deciding factors, not predictable mathematics. Beating the odds should be (sometimes) valid choice. Otherwise Finland would have been overrun by the Red Army and Germany wouldn't have even tried Second World War.

Events will be a big part of the game later in development.

Some great ideas there... keep 'em coming, Matti!!

-Steve

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 37
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/29/2014 4:22:31 AM   
Texashawk

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

interesting....sounds very much like what moo3 wanted to be before the departure of Alan Emrich. Good luck.

I remember fondly.Never did a game sound so interesting before they purged the game.A galactic empire simulation

Indeed. I really wished that game had been released. I think the best way to describe Imperia is a mix of Emrich's MOO3 design and Crusader Kings character management.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 38
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/29/2014 5:58:07 AM   
zakblood

does sound very interesting the more i read it and looks good as well, good luck in the endeavor

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 39
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/29/2014 7:20:32 AM   
Anguille

quote:

quote:

Back then, i didn't go that much on internet and wasn't active in forums...MOO3 was the first thing that got me hooked on internet and forums...checked every free seconds i had. Those were great times...

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 40
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/30/2014 3:39:05 PM   
ASHBERY76

Just read the concept and it looks very interesting.What are the plans for diplomacy and ship combat,design.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 41
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 4/30/2014 4:31:35 PM   
wodin

Hello old chap..what happened to the space combat game? had loads of promise.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 42
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/1/2014 6:19:26 AM   
Texashawk

Hey Ashbery76! I see you all the time on the DW forums!

Well, diplomacy is still in the planning stages, but it will involve creating diplomatic edicts. I haven't decided exactly what will be possible yet, but technology trading will not be one of them. :-)

As far as ship combat and design, as an Emperor you won't be blueprinting your Empire's latest lethal designs ala Space Empires. Here's how it will work for the most part. First, you need to decide as the player what kind of Navy you want: small and fast? Large and ponderous fleets? Missile heavy? Beam and gauss dependent? Stealth capable?

You will then designate a research focus, say Fleet Protocol, and allocate research priority to that and maybe Missile Theory. You will eventually receive a breakthrough, but it will be a generated technology, so your missile technology might be a ASM-72 "Shrike" with long-range capability but with a small warhead, but a very high pK. You can then review the proposed weapon system for further development or scrap the project at this point, which keeps half the research in the area for potential additional ideas.

So if you like the basic idea of the weapon system, you can then designate the weapon system for Refinement status: higher range, higher pK, higher warhead? Higher stealth? You will have some more 'micro' control at that point, but you won't know exactly what improvement will occur until your research makes a breakthrough. Of course, all this takes time, money, and data (generated from labs). From there, you will have ship classes and the ability to designate roles, i.e missile fleet, beam fleet, carrier task force, etc. and your War Prime will create and deploy the fleets as he interprets your wishes.

To use a modern-day example, think of the President of the US saying to the Chairman of the JCOS, "We need fighter jets with better stealth technology that can put a missile in a bunker from 80 miles". Your design and science teams will take that general request and create the platform and weapons system from your request! Thus, you will have some control over the type of military without having to micromanage each design - and you won't quite know how each platform will turn out since they will be procedurally generated every game from your choices!

Ship combat will be very abstract for now. Think EU4/Victoria combat. As the Emperor, you can travel with your battle fleet for morale and inspiration, but you won't have direct control over the battle, nor will you manually move your fleets around the quadrant - that's what your admirals are for! You will instead issue War Plan Edicts.

War Plan Edicts are where basically you will be able to say, "Draw up a major fleet action in the Saragon Sector and execute within 6 months" - and your War Prime will create a battle plan based on your request and the amount of resources (read:ships and money) you allocate to his plan. The more time you give your War Prime to create and refine the war plan, the better your fleet will operate and the more ships he will be able to allocate.

War Plan Edicts can scope from a planet invasion to a sector assault, but failure to give your War Prime enough time or allocate enough ships to do the job properly could result in disaster (and your PoSup not looking too great) and if you repeatedly try to cut corners with your War Prime they can resign in protest at best - or simply plot to kill you at worst!

So that's Imperia's battle/ship system in a nutshell. Hope that helps!

-Steve

quote:

Just read the concept and it looks very interesting.What are the plans for diplomacy and ship combat,design.

< Message edited by Texashawk -- 5/1/2014 7:19:45 AM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 43
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/1/2014 6:22:40 AM   
Texashawk

Hey Wodin! Long time no see!

Well... basically, I didn't back up as often as I should and I lost a lot of the code. But on the bright side, I got a ton of knowledge and experience that I am now using on Imperia! So... not a total loss!

Have you checked out the game blog? http://imperiagame.wordpress.com That's where I'm updating the state of the game, adding screenshots, etc. Check it out!

Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Hello old chap..what happened to the space combat game? had loads of promise.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 44
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/2/2014 6:24:17 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

How about bunch of entities without particular alignment to Empire, any other nation, sector, or system? Mercenaries, religions, merchant guilds, space pirates, business enterprises that spread all over the map etc. Those would be available for hire, either by player, by someone else in player's Empire, neutral/opposing party etc. One could also change status: unloyal military force becomes mercenary force, later pirate force, it conquers & occupies system and becomes independent system government...

Would we like about political marriages to reinforce ties between regions or other entities? Player offers noble woman and her sector to commander of sizeable mercenary force, who then becomes player's senior general/admiral and his forces part of player's organization.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 5/2/2014 7:27:03 PM >

MekWars

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 45
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/5/2014 4:36:59 AM   
Texashawk

quote:

quote:

How about bunch of entities without particular alignment to Empire, any other nation, sector, or system? Mercenaries, religions, merchant guilds, space pirates, business enterprises that spread all over the map etc. Those would be available for hire, either by player, by someone else in player's Empire, neutral/opposing party etc. One could also change status: unloyal military force becomes mercenary force, later pirate force, it conquers & occupies system and becomes independent system government...

Would we like about political marriages to reinforce ties between regions or other entities? Player offers noble woman and her sector to commander of sizeable mercenary force, who then becomes player's senior general/admiral and his forces part of player's organization.

Well, there will be splinter factions that you can reunite under your empire via various means. Doing so will not only add the benefits of the planets (or not, if they're in bad shape) but it will improve your popular support since your people are seeing you actually rebuild the Empire and seeing it in action. Pirates is a good idea - don't know if it would be actually something you could attack or come up as an event that you could mitigate if you spent more money on piracy patrols. Don't know about marriages. That might be a bit much for this version. But I like the pirates! :-D

Thanks Matti!

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 46
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/13/2014 5:02:33 PM   
Texashawk

Good news, Imperia Alpha v.0225 is now LIVE!! Please note that the resolution conversion is not complete - the planet screen still is fixed resolution, which will be in the next update. I did want to get the alpha out regardless so that people could at least see what it's all about... remember it's VERY early days for Imperia! The Sourceforge link is on the blog at http://imperiagame.wordpress.com

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 47
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/13/2014 5:13:43 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Please note that the resolution conversion is not complete - the planet screen still is fixed resolution.

Excuse me, what does that mean?

MekWars

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 48
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/13/2014 5:54:44 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

quote:

Please note that the resolution conversion is not complete - the planet screen still is fixed resolution.

That folks who do not have a 1920 X 1080 display or above are going to have problems.

Darkspire

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 49
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/13/2014 9:25:19 PM   
Texashawk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

quote:

quote:

That folks who do not have a 1920 X 1080 display or above are going to have problems.

Darkspire

For this release. Next release will have universal resolution functionality across all screens.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 50
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/14/2014 6:32:04 AM   
Anguille

Impressive...you really get Matrix to publish your game at some point.

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 51
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/14/2014 7:16:33 AM   
zakblood

alpha build works well, music sounds really good, nice and easy to load and is quick to setup, looks good and i have had a quick look around, no idea what i'm doing so just pressing on anything and seeing what it does, looks like a lot of time and effort has gone onto this, will watch it's progress and see how you get on, and good luck to you, hope it goes well for you, fingers crossed....

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 52
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/14/2014 5:35:12 PM   
Kuokkanen

I got home from work just moment ago and it is already 20:35 in this timezone. I'll try arrange some time for playtest in near future...

MekWars

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 53
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/15/2014 6:19:11 AM   
Texashawk

quote:

I got home from work just moment ago and it is already 20:35 in this timezone. I'll try arrange some time for playtest in near future...

Good luck! Check out the blog, I have posted some documentation links and a quick start guide... let me know if you have questions!

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 54
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/15/2014 6:20:08 AM   
Texashawk

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

alpha build works well, music sounds really good, nice and easy to load and is quick to setup, looks good and i have had a quick look around, no idea what i'm doing so just pressing on anything and seeing what it does, looks like a lot of time and effort has gone onto this, will watch it's progress and see how you get on, and good luck to you, hope it goes well for you, fingers crossed....

Thanks for the kind words zakblood! This is just the start...

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 55
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/20/2014 9:06:44 PM   
Texashawk

Alpha .226 is released!! Lots of great changes...

Imperia V.226 Change Log

Fixes
* Fixed bug where deleting a system edict caused crash
* Fixed ‘rounding’ bug when adding Influence to an Edict
* Fixed rare bug where planets had identical populations and the Intel screen was accessed
* Fixed bug where crash occurs if you abandon a planet or system with active Edicts that are not completed that turn
* Fixed bug where viceroy would refuse to expand a sector based on the fact that the planet was losing money when it fact it was not
* Fixed bug where expanding a planet economy could cause the development level to go above the maximum
* Fixed bug where Edict ADM values in selection lists would not always match up with Edict Creation screen ADM values
* Fixed bug where if the system capital was abandoned and no other planet was in the sector, the sector would still remain active, even though there was no population, and the governors would still be assigned to an empty sector/system. Now all governors are removed from office, the sector is made inactive, and any money in the sector treasury goes into the Empire treasury.
* Fixed a few bugs relating to assassinations.

Changes/Additions
* Added full resolution support across all screens, including the planet screen
* Improved look of most resolutions by scaling all viewports and graphics more precisely – continued work on this will be ongoing
* Added some of Nadia’s awesome planets, especially gas giants
* Dimmed out buttons on button bar which don’t function yet to minimize confusion
* Changed economic model to now take planetary subsidies if needed from sector treasuries first before the Imperial treasury. This will promote developing stronger sectors while penalizing weak economic sectors in assisting their system’s projects, since if they go broke the sector will now receive a subsidy from the Empire with a small efficiency penalty depending on distance
* With this change, added AI for sector governors to adjust the sector tax as needed, depending on their intelligence, greed, and other traits
* Added right-click on system will center functionality on the quadrant map. This is experimental and may be removed or optioned depending on feedback.
* Added assigning system to new sector edict, and added UI functionality to allow other edicts with secondary choices (such as designations)
* Added new planetary edict – change primary designation
* Added 2 new designations – government nexus and material production world
* Added more system and planet names, and eliminated duplicate planet/system names - may have fixed a bug related to duplicate names
* Added basic designation effects – i.e. heavy production worlds now have negative terraforming modifiers, but greater wages, etc.
* Added attempt to assassinate character action – must have active informer network and costs 5 Tyrannical Influence. More informers improves chance; a high character Power and Intelligence lowers it. May take several turns to resolve.
* Some small calculating efficiency gains, especially between turns
* Added check to potentially add ADM for emperor every year
* Added more reactions to events and emperor Edicts that affect governors and viceroys, especially changing system assignments
* Some small graphics improvements/changes

Balance
* Some cost/edict balances; some items cost less ADM, some more (a few were 1 ADM for testing, those have been changed)
* Material production is now considerably more profitable per mTon (to counterbalance increased costs for setting up and maintaining manufacturing) ($10 vs. $4)
* Science production is more costly due to impending Science system addition, prepare for costs!
* Planet ADM has been tweaked upward for sectors and the Imperial capital
* ADM efficiency has been increased from 6:1 to 5:1 for Empire ADM used for planetary Edicts
* Increased empire possible minimum Base Engine Range so that missions are easier (will probably change once science is available, as this will be available to improve)
* Significantly increased effect of Loyalty on Edict completion. Now you will absolutely have to get your leaders into line somehow if you want your more advanced Edicts to be completed this decade. 
* Lowered cost of surveying and exploring to encourage it.

Check the blog for the download link!

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 56
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 5/21/2014 1:47:39 PM   
Texashawk

Hotfix .227 is now out. Fixed an issue with the character screen crashing at very low resolutions.

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 57
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 6/7/2014 5:11:25 PM   
Kuokkanen

I gave test run for 0.226, and damn thing keeps crashing. I get to as far as star map, I get to zoom in/out, but if I try do anything else, game will crash. Also some texts are difficult to read on 1920x1080 resolution.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 6/7/2014 6:13:11 PM >

MekWars

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 58
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 6/28/2014 5:28:07 AM   
Texashawk

quote:

I gave test run for 0.226, and damn thing keeps crashing. I get to as far as star map, I get to zoom in/out, but if I try do anything else, game will crash. Also some texts are difficult to read on 1920x1080 resolution.

Hey Matti..

Apparently there is an issue with the system display bar. Whenever you mouse over a system or star, the program will crash for some people. I have created a hotkey to toggle this functionality in the next build while I try to figure out what the issue is. It's not a programming logic issue, which leads me to believe it is a font/graphics issue. The next build will also have save/load capability! It'll be out Sunday sometime.

-Steve

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 59
RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the ... - 6/30/2014 11:49:53 AM   
IainMcNeil

Looks very cool TexasHawk - you should send us a build to review when you get nearer completion :)

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Announcing Imperia - my latest hobby project - the 5X 4X strategy game! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI