Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on Sonobouys

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question on Sonobouys Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on Sonobouys - 7/1/2014 1:37:14 PM   
Feltan

When a sonobuoy is dropped in game, a datalink is established with the aircraft that dropped it. Which makes me wonder:

1. Will other aircraft, who do not show a datalink to the sonobuoy, be able to receive data from it -- or is there a strict mother-daughter relationship that only allows the dropping aircraft to collect data?

2. In real life, do sonobuoys broadcast data that other aircraft can receive?

Couldn't find the answer on-line, and given the knowledge base here I am sure someone knows.

Thanks.

Regards,
Feltan
Post #: 1
RE: Question on Sonobouys - 7/1/2014 9:06:43 PM   
AdmiralSteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

When a sonobuoy is dropped in game, a datalink is established with the aircraft that dropped it. Which makes me wonder:

1. Will other aircraft, who do not show a datalink to the sonobuoy, be able to receive data from it -- or is there a strict mother-daughter relationship that only allows the dropping aircraft to collect data?

2. In real life, do sonobuoys broadcast data that other aircraft can receive?

Couldn't find the answer on-line, and given the knowledge base here I am sure someone knows.

Thanks.

Regards,
Feltan

The datalink is a secure radio frequency that can only be used by aircraft, ships, submarines and land based facilities that have the frequency, the equipment and software to interpret the information sent from the sonobuoy.
The system is jam resistant, highly secure and will only allow those that have the correct equipment to use the information.

“There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.”
Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. 1882-1959

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on Sonobouys - 7/1/2014 10:58:38 PM   
4rk

quote:

ORIGINAL: AdmSteebe
The datalink is a secure radio frequency that can only be used by aircraft, ships, submarines and land based facilities that have the frequency, the equipment and software to interpret the information sent from the sonobuoy.
The system is jam resistant, highly secure and will only allow those that have the correct equipment to use the information.

Just have a look on Google with the following keywords: 'navy wants secure sonobuoys'. It was a month ago.

In real life, anyone close enough to the float of a sonobuoy and with a line of sight (water and high frequency radio waves do not mix) can pick up the (mainly analogic) transmission from the sonobuoy, provided it knows the channel used amongst the 99 channels. Then, it's analysed onboard the helo or relayed to a ship where it's analysed. Once the data have been analyzed, the informations about the contacts are retransmitted to each network participant through digital datalinks.

--
4rk

< Message edited by 4rk -- 7/2/2014 8:35:49 AM >

(in reply to AdmiralSteve)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on Sonobouys - 7/2/2014 2:41:57 AM   
Zenra

No question that sonobuoys are designed to work as AdmSteebe & 4rk describe, but to Feltan's original question #1, is data linking to other units modeled in CMANO?

Mitchell

(in reply to 4rk)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on Sonobouys - 7/2/2014 7:40:40 PM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mitchell

No question that sonobuoys are designed to work as AdmSteebe & 4rk describe, but to Feltan's original question #1, is data linking to other units modeled in CMANO?

I am not sure that it is. However, it is difficult to say with certainty.

Generally, observations indicate that once the launch vehicle lands I'll get no more new contacts from a sonobuoy field -- and current Goblin contacts will age. If the parent a/c takes off again (specifically a SH-60), then the sonobuoy field becomes "active" again.

The rub here is that I picked up a new torpedo contact on what I thought was a sonobuoy who's parent aircraft had landed -- but I am not 100% certain.

Continued observations seem to indicate that a sonobuoy only transmits to its parent launcher, which if I understand correctly, is not how things work IRL.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Zenra)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on Sonobouys - 7/2/2014 8:04:11 PM   
AdmiralSteve

quote:

As far as I can see, any unit that is on the side that dropped the sonobuoy can receive information from it. Also, the side posture will determine who else can use the information.

“There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.”
Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. 1882-1959

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on Sonobouys - 7/2/2014 9:26:06 PM   
Blas de Lezo

quote:

ORIGINAL: AdmSteebe

quote:

As far as I can see, any unit that is on the side that dropped the sonobuoy can receive information from it. Also, the side posture will determine who else can use the information.

In order for the information picked by a sonobuoy to be passed along its side or friendly-side, that sonobuoy has to be data linked with a plane or a helicopter (not sure if a ship is equally valid, don´t think so in any case)... in other words, if you drop some sonobuoys in the middle of the ocean by a P-3 and then that P-3 is shot down... your sonobuoys are useless until another P-3 or a data link equipped unit establish contact with the sonobuoys... as in RL....

(in reply to AdmiralSteve)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question on Sonobouys Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI