Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about fleet automation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question about fleet automation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about fleet automation - 6/4/2014 6:49:56 PM   
tinjaw

I am new to DW and playing my first game. I am playing the suggested introductory game where everything is automated.

I wanted to "take over control" of a fleet. I picked a fleet, saw that it was automated (as it should be), and clicked the button to turn off automation. I then gave the fleet an order to refuel.

The fleet went to a planet and refueled. (I have them selected and am watching them.) All the ships fueled up and I was about to give them an order to go load up troops when they were automatically given a mission (to attack a colony). I clicked the stop button, and they stopped. I double checked that the circular blue arrow wasn't showing so they are not automated.

I wait a few seconds and they are again assigned the attack mission. I can again stop them. This continues as long as I keep clicking stop.

I thought that by turning off automation that I should not have to worry about the fleet being given a mission.

What am I doing wrong? How do I stop the AI from giving the fleet orders?
Post #: 1
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/4/2014 6:58:12 PM   
Bingeling

It sounds like a bug to me. You may try to toggle the automation for fleet formation and see if it helps. The catch is that the AI probably won't put up new fleets, then.

(in reply to tinjaw)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/4/2014 11:02:35 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

Not a bug, it's the Attack automation at work.

It selects the closest fleet to attack the target.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/4/2014 11:37:32 PM   
Raap

Ye, I'm fairly certain fleet automation ignores whether a fleet is automated or not when giving orders. Which kinda defeats the point of having a selectable automation setting for individual fleets, since they'll never do anything without getting orders from fleet automation in the first place.

(in reply to OzoneGrif_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/5/2014 12:36:26 AM   
OzoneGrif_slith

Nah, it's not the fleet automation doing that, it's the "War and attacks" automation :

http://www.matrixgames.com/files/games/466/20130405092453.jpg?height=1200&width=1600

That's what you should disable.

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/5/2014 1:06:06 AM   
Raap

Right, that's the one I meant. At any rate, this is definitely unintended behavior, since it makes individual automation for fleets useless; if you have war and attacks automation activated then it doesn't matter if a particular fleet is automated or not, and if you have it disabled then it also doesn't matter if it's automated or not since it won't do anything either way.

Post #: 6
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/5/2014 1:30:47 AM   
OzoneGrif_slith

Basically, if War and attack automation decides to attack something, it should pick the closest automated fleet available, but never a non-automated fleet.

But if the player clicks the attack button manually, then it should use both the closest automated or non-automated fleets.

That's coherent.

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/5/2014 1:35:40 AM   
Raap

Yah, that would be ideal.

Post #: 8
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/5/2014 8:18:46 AM   
Bingeling

One can always argue what is a bug and what is a feature, but if the AI bosses a manual fleet around, it is a bug. In my world :)

If the fleet has fleet postures with attack stance and long range it may not be a bug in any respect, I have never understood fleet postures and how it behaves with and without automated fleets.

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/5/2014 10:00:23 AM   
OzoneGrif_slith

It's not a bug because it works as intended. But maybe it wasn't the most optimal way to do things, as it doesn't feel natural for the player.

Fleet postures work only if the fleet is automated (I'm not referring to fleet automation here, but to the blue "automated" icon on the fleet's info sheet).
Fleet postures are complementary with Fleet's stance, and that's another confusing part.

Basically, fleet postures deal with the big picture (on a strategic level), while fleet stance deal with the instant (an attack is in progress).

Fleet stance doesn't need the fleet to be automated to work.

< Message edited by OzoneGrif -- 6/5/2014 11:05:48 AM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 10
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/5/2014 10:13:29 AM   
Bingeling

I think automation is necessary to have the fleet move back to base on its own, though.

But designed, mess up, or not. If "war and attacks" grabs a manual fleet, that is wrong. If it messes with fleet postures of a manual fleet, that is wrong too. If a manual fleet takes off on a fleet posture triggered mission, that is probably correct and avoidable (defensive, own base only, to have it not happen).

My only annoyance with postures is that they default to attack stance of massive range. I have to pay attention when making new fleets.

Post #: 11
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/6/2014 5:23:39 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

Path 1.9.5.2
quote:

- now properly limit coordinated fleet attacks within own empire only to automated attack fleets (not defense fleets or manually controlled fleets)

Hey, is it what I'm thinking it is?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 12
RE: Question about fleet automation - 6/6/2014 6:17:39 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif

Path 1.9.5.2
quote:

- now properly limit coordinated fleet attacks within own empire only to automated attack fleets (not defense fleets or manually controlled fleets)

Hey, is it what I'm thinking it is?

Not sure what you are thinking, nor do I know exactly what it is. I can guess, though.

In Universe, the AI started coordinating fleet attacks among allies. They may pick up your target and send a fleet to help out. I think this may also happen in AI empires, and that this prevents the AI from grabbing manual fleets, and from using defensive fleets for these offensive operations (where it is assisting another fleet's attack).

Post #: 13
RE: Question about fleet automation - 7/4/2014 1:32:52 PM   
Bigtouf

Hello, i want to up this post because i've some question to set a paritulary behavior to some fleets.

I've build some fleets named "Patrol fleet SystemALPHA" where alpha is the colony/system name.
I play with All Automated Choice set to NO !
And i've read the fleet posture guide !

Fleet Posture :
- Attack Mode
- Nearby System
- Fleet Not automated

I want my fleet to patrol inside the system and kill every pirates/ennemies. No problem when they appeared in the system. The problem appeard when pirates go in a neighbor system!
My fleet never go in the system to destroy them !!!

1°) Is my configuration OK ?
2°) Moreover, the fleet never go to refuel themself, is it normal ?
3°) If the fleet is in a system which 've some neighbors at war with me, is the fleet going to attach them ? What is the good configuration for the fleet, to protect the system, MY neighbor systems but not attack my ennemies in zone outside my influence ?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 14
RE: Question about fleet automation - 7/4/2014 5:04:43 PM   
WaflHead

I've been able to get my fleet to work closely to what I intended by managing the default stance for automated and manual control in the OPTIONS / EMPIRE SETTINGS menu.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bigtouf)
Post #: 15
RE: Question about fleet automation - 7/4/2014 5:21:26 PM   
Aeson

quote:

1°) Is my configuration OK ?

No. If you want the computer to send your fleet off on missions according to its set posture, you need to have the fleet automated. Moreover, attack postures are for attacking targets and their area of operations will not be set unless they have an attack target set.

quote:

2°) Moreover, the fleet never go to refuel themself, is it normal ?

Kind of. Sometimes you can't get a fleet to do what you want because it decided to go refuel, other times you find it ran out of fuel and didn't bother going anywhere to correct that issue. This seems to have something to do with fuel availability in your empire. Automated fleets are generally good about keeping their fuel stocks up.

quote:

3°) If the fleet is in a system which 've some neighbors at war with me, is the fleet going to attach them ? What is the good configuration for the fleet, to protect the system, MY neighbor systems but not attack my ennemies in zone outside my influence ?

If you're looking to set up a fleet to defend a system and want it to be something that you can just set and forget, then you're going to want to use Defensive Posture, set the fleet's home base to a colony or space station of yours within the system you want to defend, set the area of operations to 'system' if you just want to protect the system (other options are 'target only,' which should see them sit at the home base, 'nearby systems,' which covers systems within about half a sector, 'sector,' which covers most of a sector, and 'anywhere,' which I would not suggest you use for an automated defense fleet; the blue circles which show up on the main map when you have the 'fleet postures' filter active mark the area of operations for defense fleets, centered on their home base, though neither 'anywhere' nor 'target' create these circles, and attack postures will show up similarly but in red circles centered on the attack target), and you must automate the fleet.

So to answer the question at the end of point three:
1. Set the fleet's home base to a colony or base within the area you want to protect.
2. Set the fleet posture to 'defensive.'
3. Set the fleet's engagement range to 'nearby systems.'
4. Automate the fleet.

(in reply to Bigtouf)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question about fleet automation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI