Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/10/2014 3:07:59 AM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

New issue: The copy of the rules I have in front of me (which is a decade old at this point), says that to shuffle carrier planes around in port, it takes an air action per plane in the rebase phase.

I could have sworn I read somewhere (maybe in one of the annuals) that this was errata'ed, but what changes, if any were made, and where that came from, I'm drawing a blank on. If I have a bunch of carriers in port and want to shuffle the planes around a bit, do I really need to take an air action to move them all?

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 151
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/10/2014 4:14:11 AM   
Courtenay

You also have, on your computer, RAC. Type F3 while running MWiF. F1 & F2 are the player manuals.

quote:

14.4.1 REBASING
During the rebase aircraft step of each turn, you can rebase an organized carrier plane, up to double its range, from its CV to a hex or vice versa (including the cost to get into or out of the sea-box section).

You can also rebase a carrier plane from a CV to another CV in the same sea-box section or port, or from a CV to the port hex it is in or vice versa. Each of these counts as a rebase for activities limits (Deviation: unless the carrier air unit remains in the same port or sea area section box). Like all other rebases, the carrier plane remains organized.

Thus rebasing CVPs in port or in the same sea box in MWiF does not count against action limits. Be warned: if one does not have any air actions left, MWiF sometimes will not let you rebase CVPs, even though you should be able to.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 152
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/10/2014 5:45:06 AM   
paulderynck

This MWiF deviation originates from the 2008 errata:
quote:

Aircraft rebasing (WiF 11.17)
CVPiF & SiF option 56: During the aircraft rebase step, you may rebase CVPs within a hex (i.e. from one CV to another, and/or from a CV to land) for no action limit cost.

Paul

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 153
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/14/2014 12:00:14 AM   
rkr1958

In preparation for my first GW game I was looking into which rules I wanted to play with. If I load and play the quick start scenario then I get the Novice Rule Set. I was thinking of generating my own setup and a customized set of options more "challenging" than the novice set. I really wanted to get a feel for logistic so I'm thinking of playing with the novice set plus oil, scrap units, divisions and ski troops. I'm not really interested in dealing with pilots just yet. Truthfully, I don't see my getting very far into this game before I mess it up and have to start over.

My question is what would be a good and limited set of optional rules, which I assume would be somewhere between the Novice and Standard set, to use to try to get a good feel of the logistics and flow of the game?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 6/21/2014 6:04:06 PM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 154
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/14/2014 3:51:48 PM   
AxelNL

see

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3527647

for some interesting discussion about that

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 155
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/14/2014 7:02:31 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

see

Thanks. I guess it's best then if I pose (reask) my question above in that thread?

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 156
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/16/2014 3:02:50 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

see

Thanks. I guess it's best then if I pose (reask) my question above in that thread?

Yes.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 157
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/3/2014 10:34:27 PM   
rkr1958

So I've started my first Global Warfare scenario with optional rule set http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3527647&mpage=3&key=# (post 74). I've taken my time, studying various AARs and other posts. It's taken me two weekends (not full time) to get through the CW setup. My desire is to use this game to learn about production, oil and how to work the production forms. The attached screenshot shows the status of the CW production focused on its oil resources. Not surprising, I haven't customized (or overrode) any routes defaulted by the program. In my leaning of production and oil I do want to make use of all my oil and save 1 or 2 (?) oil points per turn. I'm going to need to go back to the training tutorials on this to figure that out.

My first question is, do I need to configure the CW production to save oil now or will I get a chance after I finishing setting up the remainder of the major powers, which includes France?

In looking at the CW oil resources, I see that 3 are idle and the remaining 6 are used for production. I assume no saving any is bad. Should I strive to get all oil active in production? How many should be diverted from production to being saved?

I know this is an important part of the game that I need to learn. It seems very daunting right now. But like everything else that's complicated, I need to focus on "eating the apple, one bite at a time." I'm asking for advice on where I should take the "first bite"?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 158
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/3/2014 11:27:51 PM   
paulderynck

General guideline is to max the use of resources and save as much oil each turn as you can. Often the Venezuela oil has to go to production but other oil can be saved in places the CW controls for very little use of convoys. The three they outright own can be saved practically in place. (Burma may eventually become unsafe once Japan starts conquering territory.) In 1939, the CW only needs 21 resources/oil to max their production, even though they have 22 factories.

You should be able to change things right up to final production, and it may make more sense as to what is happening once the convoys are all deployed. Note that even though France is not allied at the start of SO39, they will be by turn-end. So you can set up to transport resources with both countries convoys to both home countries, even though they aren't lending anything to each other yet.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 159
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/4/2014 4:13:10 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Focus on the Idle resources. You want to send the non-oil to factories for production and save all the oil that you can.

I would start by saving the idle oil. Then I would save 5 of the oil resources that are currently going into production. If the program doesn't figure out a way to use the 5 idle non-oil resources when you click on Recompute, then I would look at each of those non-oil resources and see if I could devise a path to a factory so it is productive this turn. Only if there are still Idle factories, would I go back and commit some of the oil I had marked to be saved to go into production.

---

Once I get all the Production planning bugs beaten into submission, I plan on making a new tutorial video going through how I set up convoys for the various major powers for Production Planning. I have the script - I just don't have the time.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 7/4/2014 5:13:53 AM >

Steve

Post #: 160
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/4/2014 4:18:29 AM   
Courtenay

There can be major changes after impulse two, when the CW and France declare war, and can use each other's convoys. I would not worry about production until then. You can change production freely up until just before the final production planning step. Your resources that are used in trade agreements are locked into place at the start of the final production planning step, so get those resources right before final production planning. If you know you plan to move convoys around in a turn, don't bother setting production until you do so, as you are just wasting time doing things that you will have to redo. On the other hand, if you are unsure how many convoys you need, it can be helpful to do the production as you move the convoys, so that you can see where you need knew ones.

Of course, when I plan the Allied convoys, I use a spreadsheet, which makes things much easier. Computers count better than I do.

When you do production, no oil resources should be idle; you can always ship and save them somewhere. Some CW non-oil resources (Malaya!) will be idle; don't worry about that.

At the start of the game, your production multiple is only 0.5. You might consider giving up a BP to save two oil that will give you two BPs later.

In any case, check for rounding; when your production multiple is 0.5, you should only run an odd number of factories, because the next factory just consumes resources for no gain. This also applies when your production multiple is 0.75; one should never use the third factory in a group of four unless one is using all four, as, again, it does not gain any production.

Turn two will be very different, as the CW can and should send resources to France. Also, you have to decide which way to send build points -- to France, to make it hold out longer, to the CW, on the theory that the French are going down anyway, and it is better to build CW units, or no transfer, because you think the split is right the way it is. Note that this is a real strategic decision, and there is not an obvious correct answer; I know of players who send BPs to France, and others who send BPs to the CW.

Post #: 161
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/4/2014 6:36:25 PM   
rkr1958

Thanks guys! I ran through the interactive tutorial again on production planning. It only took me 5 minutes to refresh my memory on how to use the production form. Below is the result of my initial tinkering with CW production. I let the program do the heavy lifting (i.e., compute the route) but I did work through until I got the result below. The CW is now saving 4 oil per turn, 21 of 22 factories are producing and 79 of 81 convoys on map are being used.

Do I need to save more than four oil per turn?

I'm trying to recall (I need to look it up); but does green mean the changed routes are permanent until something change them? Or is it blue in which case the routes will go back to default at the end of turn?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 7/4/2014 7:37:07 PM >

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 162
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/4/2014 7:05:00 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Green for Default, Blue for Override.

Once France falls, the Germans will be able to attack the convoys in the Bay of Biscay with submarines based in Brest and naval air units along the coast. That means the North Atlantic convoy route should be shifted to the Faeroes Gap (as happened historically). Making that happen can pose a serious problem for the Commonwealth. The convoys can't simply move from one sea area to another, so they first have to return to port - where they arrive disorganized. You either have to have a complete replacement fleet already in port to sail out into the Faeroes Gap, or you need to reorganize all the convoys, or you suffer serious losses to your convoys in the Bay of Biscay, or you tear your hair out with no resources getting through to the United Kingdom for a turn because there are no convoys in either the Bay of Biscay or the Faeroes Gap.

For that reason, some players prefer to start with some convoys in the Faeroes Gap and others in the Bay of Biscay. The downside of having convoys in the Faeroes Gap before France falls, is that they are more vulnerable to German submarines coming through the North Sea.

Like many decisions in WIF, there are arguments for both viewpoints and you get to "pick your choose".

Steve

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 163
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/4/2014 8:07:23 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Green for Default, Blue for Override.

Once France falls, the Germans will be able to attack the convoys in the Bay of Biscay with submarines based in Brest and naval air units along the coast. That means the North Atlantic convoy route should be shifted to the Faeroes Gap (as happened historically). Making that happen can pose a serious problem for the Commonwealth. The convoys can't simply move from one sea area to another, so they first have to return to port - where they arrive disorganized. You either have to have a complete replacement fleet already in port to sail out into the Faeroes Gap, or you need to reorganize all the convoys, or you suffer serious losses to your convoys in the Bay of Biscay, or you tear your hair out with no resources getting through to the United Kingdom for a turn because there are no convoys in either the Bay of Biscay or the Faeroes Gap.

For that reason, some players prefer to start with some convoys in the Faeroes Gap and others in the Bay of Biscay. The downside of having convoys in the Faeroes Gap before France falls, is that they are more vulnerable to German submarines coming through the North Sea.

Like many decisions in WIF, there are arguments for both viewpoints and you get to "pick your choose".
All these risk versus reward decisions, with no pat answers, seems to add a "richness" that I've yet to experience in my wargaming experiences. Winston Churchill was quoted as saying that the greatest threat to the survival of Britain in WW2 was from German u-boats. My impression is that MWiF (WiF) models this, and the Battle of the Atlantic, at both a detailed tactical and strategic level. I look forward to seeing how all this plays out and what grave mistakes I'm sure to make.

By the way, isn't setting up CW convoys in the Faeroes Gap to start with "exploiting" future knowledge that the CW wouldn't have, or certainly couldn't conceive happening? That is, the fall of France. I know ... we all exploit this knowledge in playing strategic WW2 games.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 7/4/2014 9:22:44 PM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 164
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/4/2014 10:12:41 PM   
rkr1958

Just finished setup and I'm ready to start my first game of the Global War scenario. Below are the initial adjustment to production, with a focus on saving oil, for the remaining powers (i.e., CW is 3 posts up).

How does it look?

Honestly, making these adjustments and letting the program do the calculations was a piece of cake.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 165
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/6/2014 6:49:35 PM   
rkr1958

So in my first play of the Global war scenario I want to follow the historical timeline (sort of). I'll probably leave Norway alone; but other than that I plan to go after the countries Germany did and follow a Sitzkrieg strategy where I attack France in the Spring of 1940. Though, I plan to take care of Denmark, Holland and Belgium before that. Now in playing this strategy after the Soviets claim eastern Poland and the Baltic states I plan for the Germans to grant their claim on Bessarabia. My question is on their (i.e., the Soviets) claim on the Finnish border lands. Historically, the fight for these border lands is what I assume was the 1940 winter war between the Soviets and Finns, which eventually resulted in the claim being granted.

When playing out MWiF (WiF) historically, do you fight this winter war or do you immediately allow the claim?

I guess one advantage for the Germans in not allowing the claim is that the resources that the USSR supply to German is NOT reduced by 1.

If the Germans do not allow the claim but later enforce the peace, which effectively allows the claim, are resources the USSR supply to Germany still reduced by 1 or is that avoided by the winter war?

Are there any other motivations for fighting this winter war other than for historical reasons?

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 7/6/2014 7:50:56 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 166
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/6/2014 7:28:00 PM   
paulderynck

Personally, I don't claim the borderlands. My experience has been the Axis will often fight for them and although a distraction to their plans in the west, they can make things quite tough for the Russians, plus the US entry effect.

The advantage is the extra hexes can make it tough for the Axis to cut the rail line to Murmansk, but the above observation is based on using the Scandinavian map in the board game and of course those pesky Finn ski units have even more room to operate on the MWiF scale map. So if the rail line is getting cut anyway when Barb comes - why bother?

The Russians also get a buffer zone against an attack on Leningrad, but in Barb, they can't afford all the units to guard the RR line or even the buffer zone. Besides until Army Group North shows up south of Leningrad, a proper defense makes any lone Finn attack extremely risky for them.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 167
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/6/2014 8:40:28 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Personally, I don't claim the borderlands. My experience has been the Axis will often fight for them and although a distraction to their plans in the west, they can make things quite tough for the Russians, plus the US entry effect.

The advantage is the extra hexes can make it tough for the Axis to cut the rail line to Murmansk, but the above observation is based on using the Scandinavian map in the board game and of course those pesky Finn ski units have even more room to operate on the MWiF scale map. So if the rail line is getting cut anyway when Barb comes - why bother?

The Russians also get a buffer zone against an attack on Leningrad, but in Barb, they can't afford all the units to guard the RR line or even the buffer zone. Besides until Army Group North shows up south of Leningrad, a proper defense makes any lone Finn attack extremely risky for them.
So I take it that Claiming the Finnish Borderlands is one of those historical events that doesn't really make much sense gamewise from the risk / reward perspective? That is, what the Soviet's gain from the claim isn't worth the risk of getting bogged down in a fight with Finland. All of this seems analogous to Operation Weserubung (i.e., the German invasion of Norway). No matter how you slice it the rewards aren't worth the risks. That is, Germany getting bogged down in Norway when they need to be focusing on Case Yellow (i.e., Belgium, Holland and France).

So I take it most players as the Soviets don't try to claim the Finnish Border Lands, like most players as the Germans don't invade Norway?

Post #: 168
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/6/2014 9:08:14 PM   
Courtenay

I generally don't claim the Finnish border lands. Bessarabia I go for, because I don't expect the Germans to fight for it.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 169
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/7/2014 6:43:40 AM   
paulderynck

I have never invaded Norway. Caution: I may not be "most players". IMO that operation and the Winter War should not be forced down players throats anyway.

An objective evaluation of those events, I think, would find that they had little impact one way or the other, on the outcome of WWII.

Paul

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 170
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/8/2014 1:30:28 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I have never invaded Norway. Caution: I may not be "most players". IMO that operation and the Winter War should not be forced down players throats anyway.

An objective evaluation of those events, I think, would find that they had little impact one way or the other, on the outcome of WWII.

That's very true; but historically those two events almost had a potentially disastrous impact. Churchill was lobbying PM Chamberlain to invade / intervene in Norway and use that invasion / intervention as a means to directly support Finland against the Soviets. If it wasn't for the fact that Finland agreed to a cease fire with the Soviets about a month before the German invasion of Norway (and the British / French intervention there) then it's quite conceivable that Britain could have been at war with both the Germans and the Soviets in 1940. I can't even fathom what course the war in Europe would have taken if that had happened.

But, I do agree that as the two events actually unfolded that they were non factors in the outcome of the war. Of course, they were significant factors to the folks directly involved.

Post #: 171
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/8/2014 10:37:57 PM   
rkr1958

These questions / observations concern oil. So I'm playing my first game with oil and I want to throw out what I think I've learned so far.

1. An Oil consuming unit only uses oil if it's disorganized at the end of the turn and you reorganize it?

2. So you can move and / or attack with an oil consuming unit and as long as it is organized at the end of the turn it uses no oil?

3. If a disorganized oil consuming units is reorganized by an HQ, which would be prior to the end of the turn, it would use no oil?

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 7/9/2014 2:18:58 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 172
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/9/2014 1:16:59 AM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

To the Borderlands thing:

I'll usually demand the Finnish border, but not on the first turn. Not strong enough, too much bad weather, too ch of a chance of something going wrong.

I'll usually make the demand either M/J or J/A 40, when I have a para that can threaten to drop straight into Helsinki, and have my artillery by Leningrad, and something fast to flank around Lake Ladoga. Usually, that'll be enough to either smash Finland if they refuse my reasonable demands, so most of the time, I've sen the German player give me the turf, or more importantly the single resource less I have to give the Germans.

As Germany, Wehrmacht or not i have the Finns fight is solely dependent on how much force the Soviets have on the border and how able I am to ship stuff to the Finns.

Edit: Oh, and yes to all three of your above questions.

< Message edited by Ur_Vile_WEdge -- 7/9/2014 2:16:52 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 173
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/9/2014 5:17:39 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

These questions / observations concern oil. So I'm playing my first game with oil and I want to throw out what I think I've learned so far.

1. An Oil consuming unit only uses oil if it's disorganized at the end of the turn and you reorganize it?

2. So you can move and / or attack with an oil consuming unit and as long as it is organized at the end of the turn it uses no oil?

3. If a disorganized oil consuming units is reorganized by an HQ, which would be prior to the end of the turn, it would use no oil?

You've hit on the eternal questions of RAW7 oil and whether the oil rule can someday be made more consistent with the use of oil-dependent units.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes (edit --> yes, but the HQ will unless you in turn re-org it with an O-chit)

For now the oil rules are as per RAW7.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 7/9/2014 6:18:35 AM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 174
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/10/2014 11:22:52 AM   
rkr1958

I'm finding in my first game that strategic bombing is something not to be ignored. On the first impulse France hit a German oil facility and knocked it out. On impulse 3 of turn 1 and at extended range the RAF hit a factory and reduced it by 1 point.

My question is I though I would be given a chance to added defense fighters to a hex being strategically bomb the same as a hex being ground struck. That is, if a defending fighter was in range I would be given a chance to fly that fighter to the hex. On one hex attacked (strategically), I had a fighter in range but wasn't given the opportunity to add it. What am I not understanding?

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 7/10/2014 12:22:46 PM >

Post #: 175
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/10/2014 1:02:48 PM   
composer99

You may want to check the fighter's range to the hex. Is the hex within the fighter's interception range, that is, half its regular "speed"/range?

(E.g. for a 3-range Messerschmitt Bf109, its full range is 3 hexes and its interception range is 2 hexes; for a (IIRC) 5-range Bf110, the full range is 5 hexes and interception range is 3.)

If yes, then you may either have to check your settings or you have a bug, because fighters in interception range should be prompted to intercept.

If no, then you should check your combat air patrol (CAP) settings. As I recall, the default setting is that CAP is turned off for all major powers and most or all pertinent missions.

I do not recall at this time which menu to select to find CAP settings; either someone else can answer or it can be found in your manuals.

~ Composer99

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 176
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/10/2014 5:24:13 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

You may want to check the fighter's range to the hex. Is the hex within the fighter's interception range, that is, half its regular "speed"/range?

(E.g. for a 3-range Messerschmitt Bf109, its full range is 3 hexes and its interception range is 2 hexes; for a (IIRC) 5-range Bf110, the full range is 5 hexes and interception range is 3.)

If yes, then you may either have to check your settings or you have a bug, because fighters in interception range should be prompted to intercept.

If no, then you should check your combat air patrol (CAP) settings. As I recall, the default setting is that CAP is turned off for all major powers and most or all pertinent missions.

I do not recall at this time which menu to select to find CAP settings; either someone else can answer or it can be found in your manuals.
I was assuming the full range for interception and not the half-range rounded up! That's most likely the non-issue I was seeing. Thanks!

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 7/10/2014 6:23:46 PM >

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 177
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/10/2014 6:25:02 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

I was assuming the full range for interception and not the half-range rounded up! That's most likely the non-issue I was seeing. Thanks!

No that wasn't it? I have 2 "available" German fighter units adjacent to the hex being bomb by the French. The bomber is under the French fighter, which I sent along to escort the bomber. It turns out that this escort was unnecessary as I wasn't given an opportunity to intercept. So, once again I've confused myself?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 178
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/10/2014 6:42:02 PM   
Centuur

Germany should be able to intercept. Can you put a saved game in here at the start of the strategic bombardment phase, so we can investigate?

Peter

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 179
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 7/10/2014 6:47:24 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Germany should be able to intercept. Can you put a saved game in here at the start of the strategic bombardment phase, so we can investigate?
Done.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 7/10/2014 7:47:08 PM >

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI